• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How many Nuzlocke challenges have you undertaken?

• Total voters

Alex Potter

PokeSentai Team Member
I just recently completed a Nuzlocke challenge on Pokemon Yellow for the 3DS-VC. It got me wondering, how difficult would it be to carry over Pokemon across all 7 generations for a grand challenge?

Three key obstacles came to mind as I delved further into this train of thought:

1.) How difficult would it be to carry over the surviving Pokemon from generation 1 all to generation 7?

2.) How would the high level Pokemon from the previous gen factor into the Nuzlocke rules since they will not obey?

3.) How would this affect the nature of the Nuzlocke challenge itself (i.e. would this eliminate the entire challenge, and does the concept of a enduring Pokemon Journey across the PokeWorld also bear the same nature to still be considered a Nuzlocke challenge?)

I am looking for feedback on rule adaptations, methodology of transferring Pokemon with as few needs of a second console, and an engaging dialogue on the nature of Nuzlocke challenges in the PokeCommunity.

Thank you for your time and consideration,

-An ambitious PokeDreamer

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Never really liked the Nuzlocke Challenge. In fact, kind of think it's lore-breaking. If you guys want a challenge but want to keep your Pokemon, just port power items in your second playthrough and even the XY games will be a challenge, turning every simple fight into an Ultra Necrozma fight lol.

Alex Potter

PokeSentai Team Member
Never really liked the Nuzlocke Challenge. In fact, kind of think it's lore-breaking. If you guys want a challenge but want to keep your Pokemon, just port power items in your second playthrough and even the XY games will be a challenge, turning every simple fight into an Ultra Necrozma fight lol.

Thanks for the response shoz999. I never heard it being called lore-breaking before. Is that because Pokemon "die" in battle? How else does it break lore?

shoz999

Thanks for the response shoz999. I never heard it being called lore-breaking before. Is that because Pokemon "die" in battle? How else does it break lore?
Pretty much unless the Nuzlocke challenge is about something else? I always thought that these Pokemon were biologically tankier than the average human and that a simple flamethrower would be like a punch to the face rather than screaming pain. Of course I've also thought that humans of the Pokemon world were biologically tankier than the average human of our world lol. How many times have Ash got shocked, burnt, frozen and turned into a statue lol?

Alex Potter

PokeSentai Team Member
Pretty much unless the Nuzlocke challenge is about something else? I always thought that these Pokemon were biologically tankier than the average human and that a simple flamethrower would be like a punch to the face rather than screaming pain. Of course I've also thought that humans of the Pokemon world were biologically tankier than the average human of our world lol. How many times have Ash got shocked, burnt, frozen and turned into a statue lol?

To many, the Nuzlocke challenge is about just adding a new level of difficulty to a franchise they love. To just as many others, it is way to re-connect to a world they love, a way to (re)discover the potential bonds you can form with unexpected allies and friends one may not normally invest in because of they may not be "viable" for battle.

Personally, I think the Nuzlocke challenge as become a means to force a new outlook on one's self towards these games that many of whom have become kind of set in their method of playing after so many years. A chance to re-invent yourself as a trainer, which is why there is not real "set" rules for the challenge.

shoz999

Fair enough. To answer you three questions, I assume it's no different from an ordinary playthrough.
1) Not hard to transfer pass Gen 4
2) Pain-in-the-ass, Nuzlocke or no Nuzlocke.
3) No different from porting a Lv. 100 Pokemon in an non-Nuzlocke challenge. Of course it's going to take away the difficulty away.

Honestly what your asking is not that much different from an ordinary playthrough since the Nuzlocke challenge is really just permadeath mode.

Nockturne

I'm pretty sure there is no way to do what you're asking, assuming I've understood you right. You can trade your survivors from Yellow to a VC copy of the Gen 2 games, but that requires a second system with a Gen 2 game on it. Plus you need to have made it to Ecruteak City to unlock the time capsule. And then once there, your only option is to transfer them to Bank where you can then transfer them into a Gen 6 or 7 game. But there is no way of getting Pokemon from a Gen 1 game (physical copy or VC) to Gen's 3, 4 or 5.