• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Crossing the Battle Line! (535)

LizardonX

Banned
Shame mamoswine wasn't here. With that sort of power there's no way anything other than lucario would have survived. And mamo would have no qualms on straight up battling. A good ep regardless.

Aquarelle

Staff member
It was very interesting to watch Dawn battle a Gym Leader. Even though she lost and only defeated one of Maylene's Pokemon, I was actually quite impressed. I really liked several of the moves and strategies Dawn used, such as incorporating some of her contest strategies into the battle, how Buneary Bounced off of its ears, and how Piplup Pecked through Lucario's Aura Sphere. So, I think Dawn did a pretty good job considering that this was her first Gym battle ever and the fact that she is focused on contests and not the Pokemon League challenge.
Dawn definitely did much better than I was expecting. :p

Also, I liked that Maylene got her confidence back & I liked watching Ash train Staravia to learn Brave Bird.

NPT

Just a member
This episode Picked up where last episode left off, Maylene is getting a day off to get ready for her and Dawn's gym battle. During the day's time, Ash tries to teach Staravia Brave Bird. on the other hand, Dawn trains for the gym battle with the help of Ash's Pokémon.
I liked the scene where Staravia has having trouble getting the balance of Brave Bird and Ash makes himslef the target for Starvia. Starvia makes Ash it's target and uses Brave Bird, but Ash dodges a few Brave Bird attacks. Starvia's Brave Bird starts to become more accurate in the process. I thought Ash's training method was cool, It's nice to see Starvia learning Brave Bird with the help of Ash.
In the next day, after some rather boring scenes with Reggie....Dawn and Maylene's battle begins.
Ampibom defeated Metitie, but it terribly got One-hit-KO'ed by Lucario's Bone Rush. Burneary and Piplup also put up a good battle aganist Maylene's Pokémon.....but they ended up losing. Dawn's Pokémon were inexperienced compared to Maylene's Pokémon, so it was expected. But at least Dawn put up a good fight against Maylene with her Pokémon, which was nice. Maylene got her confidence back and now she's ready to battle Ash.
Overall, this episode was good. It was nice see someone other Ash battling a gym battle.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I was impressed by Reggie's Staraptor's Brave Bird attack, and I liked that Ash's Staravia started learning it as well and the look on Paul's Electabuzz's face was priceless. Anyway, Team Rocket watching Dawn and Maylene's battle was interesting, and I cheered when Dawn's Ambipom slayed Maylene's Meditite after Buneary failed to do that.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
This episode made me realize Dawn would have been just as good at doing Gyms had her mother not brainwashed her to become a coordinator at both. Pretty much a shame this is the only Gym leader Dawn battled, it would have been nice to see her battle another.

This episode was a brief taste of what a female companion would be as an actual battler challenging Gyms. Since we never go this ever again with anyone else.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
This episode made me realize Dawn would have been just as good at doing Gyms had her mother not brainwashed her to become a coordinator at both. Pretty much a shame this is the only Gym leader Dawn battled, it would have been nice to see her battle another.

This episode was a brief taste of what a female companion would be as an actual battler challenging Gyms. Since we never go this ever again with anyone else.

I would have loved if Dawn were to do both gyms and contests, since it's clear that she's capable of doing both. Too bad she didn't replace Ash as the main character :/
Anyways I loved this episode, Dawn showed that she had some potential if she decided to challenge gyms. 10/10

JudySpell

Banned
So Dawn and Maylene fought which was different from the norm I just wonder what would've happened if Dawn had won here. 6/10

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Maylene and Dawn battling to help Maylene's confidence was a cool plan even tho Dawn losing was predictable. She did well however for her first gym match and I liked seeing Ash train his Staravia also. ^^

Pikachu979

Sinnoh Champion
Maylene and Dawn battling to help Maylene's confidence was a cool plan even tho Dawn losing was predictable. She did well however for her first gym match and I liked seeing Ash train his Staravia also. ^^

I feel the exact same way i love that Dawn came up with the idea to battle Maylene. A part of me feels Dawn knew she would lose but did it to help Maylene though I wish Dawn had beaten atleast 2 of her pokemon

I'm happy that someone other than Ash battled a Gym Leader, and it made me even more happy that this helped Dawn's confidence issues too. :)

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
I found it a little funny that Ash would use himself as a target to get Staravia to learn Brave Bird lol. I actually thought that TR’s situation was pretty funny, too.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
A part of me feels Dawn knew she would lose but did it to help Maylene

I also felt that Dawn knew that she didn't stand much of a chance and obviously she didn't need the badge any ways, so I figure she challenged Maylene knowing that Maylene would win. Maylene regaining her confidence was the main point here. :]

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
Tbh, I kinda wonder what would've happened on the off-chance that Dawn had beaten Maylene here lol. Would she have kept the Cobble Badge? :p

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Tbh, I kinda wonder what would've happened on the off-chance that Dawn had beaten Maylene here lol. Would she have kept the Cobble Badge? :p

I think that even if she had won against Maylene in an official battle here, she wouldn't have accepted the gym badge any ways cuz she clearly had no need for it given that she was a Coordinator and didn't need the Cobble badge regardless.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
I think that even if she had won against Maylene in an official battle here, she wouldn't have accepted the gym badge any ways cuz she clearly had no need for it given that she was a Coordinator and didn't need the Cobble badge regardless.

Eh true, though she could've kept the Badge as a memento just like how Ash kept his half of May's ribbon. Dawn could've also given the Badge to Ash lol.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Dawn could've also given the Badge to Ash lol.

I'm glad that didn't occur however cuz from what I've seen, most fans hate it when Ash receives gym badges for free ha ha. Dawn's team was doomed to lose here any ways since she used two normal types against Maylene's fighting type team.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
Dawn's team was doomed to lose here any ways since she used two normal types against Maylene's fighting type team.

I do kinda wonder why she didn't use Pachirisu at least, though then again, Dawn probably didn't care about winning: she just wanted to help Maylene I guess.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I do kinda wonder why she didn't use Pachirisu at least, though then again, Dawn probably didn't care about winning: she just wanted to help Maylene I guess.

I would've liked if Pachirisu had battled too, tho I doubt it would've changed much. And in retrospect, I liked how Team Rocket were viewing the battle on a laptop. It seemed odd that they were so invested in watching in the first place. ^^;

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
I would've liked if Pachirisu had battled too, tho I doubt it would've changed much. And in retrospect, I liked how Team Rocket were viewing the battle on a laptop. It seemed odd that they were so invested in watching in the first place. ^^;

At least they didn't interrupt things as usual lol. I think Paul's Electabuzz's shocked face when he saw Staravia training was the funniest moment of this whole episode. His expression was so priceless.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Since Hikari was destined to lose against Sumomo no matter what given that she had no need for a Cobble Badge and was simply trying to help Sumomo, it was hard to take this Gym match seriously. On the other hand, I enjoyed seeing Eteboth shine after its losing streak, and I was happy to see the Rocket-dan watch the match via a laptop computer.