• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Crossing the Battle Line! (535)

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Dawn's First Gym Battle!

In an idea to boost both of their confidence, Dawn & Maylene are to have an informal battle. It's a tense time as both have to regain their faith in themselves. With Dawn using Buneary, Piplup & Ambipom and Maylene using her gym trained team including Lucario, a fierce battle is to ensue. Who will win?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Dawn loses, and Buneary gets creamed in particular. Poor Buneary, it was locked in its ball for months and when it finally comes out to battle it gets beaten badly.

Man, Dawn hasn't won anything of importance in such a long time. The outcome of this battle isn't all that surprising since many predicted she would lose, but it really makes you wonder where the writers are going with Dawn's character.

Pokeballs

Custom Torkoal 01
Just gonna repost this for fun

Just saw the episode, this is from memory, so might be a bit off

Ash got from help from Reji in teaching Staravia Brave Bird. He used himself as a moving target for Staravia, which shocked an onlooking Electabuzz. Staravia did manage to use Brave Bird (glowing and all) but not in actual battle yet.

Battle went down like this:
Meditite V.S. Buneary Meditite wins
Meditite used Anticipate, Confusion, and Drain Punch. Buneary used Ice Beam, Bounce, and something else that I don't recall. Ends with a Drain Punch and Bounce colliding, which Meditite persavers through.

Meditite V.S. Ambipom Ambipom wins
Ash calls out to Ambipom when it is released, who calls back to its former trainer. Meditite uses Drain Punch, which Ambipom blocks with a tail, and then proceeds to lay the smack down with Double Attack.

Lucario V.S. Ambipom Lucario wins
Double Attack against Bone Rush. Ambipom is sent flying back and hits its noggin against the wall. OHKO

Lucario V.S. Piplup Lucario wins
Lucario blasts Piplup in the face with an Aura Sphere after dodgin a Bubble Beam. Piplup catches Lucario in a Whirlpool, but Lucario escapes using Metal Claw. More Bubble Beam, which is dodged, and then Lucario uses Force Palm (which involved placing its hand on Piplup's neck and shooting out a bright flash). Lucario shoots another Aura Sphere, which Piplup breaks through with Peck (since it's a flying attack) and damages Lucario a bit. Lucario shoots another Aura Sphere which is cancelled by Bubble Beam, but smoke is created. Piplup charges in with Peck, but Lucario has disappeared! It had jumped above and ends the fight with Force Palm.

Preview for next week was good, looks like some nice animation at least. Ash is using Staravia, Chimchar, and Buizel. Shows Staravia fighting Meditite and Machoke. Chimchar is shooting Flamethrower at an unknown target. Buizel dodging an onslaught of Bone Rushes. And Lucario charging at an Aqua Jetting Buizel. No sign of Brave Bird in the preview.

Oak's Lecture was about Ash's Chimchar.

And no, Dawn was pretty upbeat after losing

niedude

Don't forget to grin
I loved this epi! Staravia gets half of brave bird right the first time and learns it completelly the second time it uses it! Then ash and the bird have some bonding moments :3

I really did like the battle, except the OHKO of ambipom, it was just sent out and when it entered a would be dbz style battle with double hit vs bone rush it got pwnd badly and Koed....

I enjoyed the Piplup vs Lucario battle, but I was NOT excepting that Dawn would only beat 1 pokemon (meditite), even though dawn was pretty excited during the battle, almost more than Maylenne! She seemed kinda down about loosing but not enough to enter a depression or quit contests.

Also, at about 6 minutes almost 7, you see the galactic building (a tall building with a lot of satellite dishes like the one in he last epi)

Isis-sama

So Ash is going to use Buizel, Staravia, and Chimchar for the gym battle? That's good, because (besides Gligar) they're the ones that needed to be in a Gym match the most.

And Staravia learned Brave Bird already? Awesome.

I don't suppose we can get a little more detail about the match between Buneary and Meditite? I mean, did it even manage to cause Meditite any damage before going down?

niedude

Don't forget to grin
So Ash is going to use Buizel, Staravia, and Chimchar for the gym battle? That's good, because (besides Gligar) they're the ones that needed to be in a Gym match the most.

And Staravia learned Brave Bird already? Awesome.

I don't suppose we can get a little more detail about the match between Buneary and Meditite? I mean, did it even manage to cause Meditite any damage before going down?

Quite a lot, it was better than ambipom's battles.

On another note, the preview also showed staravia battling medicham and machoke, meaning not only should the bird KO one of them, it also shows how strong it is infact, instead of what ppl thought

Wow that's great that Staravia is that strong, hey I'm glad its going to be used in the next gym battle. Hopefully it will win one of its battles...Any who sounds like a great episode, glad Dawn wasn't too sad about loosing. Tell me how was the Ash traing Dawn part?

Dax

Legend
Wow, Staravia learned Brave Bird that fast?O_O

Man, that Buneary, this is probably the new Mudkip of the season... or the new Torkoal. Guess I'll have to wait until it evolves to see some power if it evolves.

Gravy

Contaminated KFC
In the long run, it's just another variation of the old charge n' barge moves that Muku.BIRD has been using for the majority of it's life, so the fact that it was able to get Brave Bird down relatively quickly isn't all that surprising.

uber gon

Accept Change
So Ash used HIMSELF as a target?:confused:

Heh, guess this'll be the most masochistic season for Ash, then.

BirdStaraptor

Sinnoh Master
The reason that made Staravia learn Brive bird so fast that he already know Aerial Ace attack and Turtwig took a long time before he could master Energy ball because he did not know to use bullet seed.

Lucario was stronger than what I though and he used a bunch of attacks. Can someone list those attacks?

I really liked Meditite battle and the way that Maylene used when she commanded to him.

cassius335

Aura Trainer
In the long run, it's just another variation of the old charge n' barge moves that Muku.BIRD has been using for the majority of it's life, so the fact that it was able to get Brave Bird down relatively quickly isn't all that surprising.

Hmm. I think I agree with Zard. We might have another Iron Tail on our hands, with Mukku trying to use Brave Bird in battle but failing.

niedude

Don't forget to grin
The reason that made Staravia learn Brive bird so fast that he already know Aerial Ace attack and Turtwig took a long time before he could master Energy ball because he did not know to use bullet seed.

Lucario was stronger than what I though and he used a bunch of attacks. Can someone list those attacks?

I really liked Meditite battle and the way that Maylene used when she commanded to him.

I see the resemblences in aerial ace and brave bird but bullet seed and energy ball? Just cause they are both balls of energy and are usually spit by the mouth (and grass type) doesnt mean anything...

I think that staravia learnt it so fast was because it is very gifted, even though he does not seem like it. I mean, look at the time a weak injured starly took to learn aerial ace AND evolve! I think starly was the pokemon ash had in the beggining to evolve faster! (besides caterpie and metapo but those are different)

An00bis

Wicked Witch
but it really makes you wonder where the writers are going with Dawn's character.

Dawn's going to be the lovable loser. At this rate she'll only get to the Grand Festival by buying nosebleed tickets.

He used himself as a moving target for Staravia, which shocked an onlooking Electabuzz.

I sense some foreshadowing ...

Man, that Buneary, this is probably the new Mudkip of the season... or the new Torkoal.

I know I'd be crying right now if I was Buneary. Poor thing. Everyone was cheering for it and she let everyone down. :(

So Ash used HIMSELF as a target?

I'm pretty sure Ash used himself as a target in 'The Electrike Company' as well.

Ash is using Staravia, Chimchar, and Buizel.

Thought so. Staravia hasn't had a win for a while (like second gym a while), Chimchar and Buizel haven't been in a gym battle with Ash yet, and Gligar's too new to be expected to do well. Makes me wonder just when we're going to see it battle though.

MechaBulba

King of the Monsters
Maybe the reason Staravia Laernt Brave Bird so fast while it look Turtwig ages to master Energy Ball, Is because Staravia can naturally learn Brave Bird on its own. While Turtwig had to train harder as it was learning a move it can only learn in the games via TM, so It would have to of trianed harder to learn it!