• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Cruisin' for a Losin' (354)

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Cruisin' For A Losin'

It's May's 4th Contest and she is eager for her 3rd win. SHe ends up against the Co-ordinator with a Lairon that she met yesterday aswell as Drew and his Masquerain. Will she emerge triumphant?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

I liked this episode because it was a very nice character development for May. And he Ash-May talk at the end was sweet.

DANdotW

Previously Iota
I've got one question. How come that other Co-ordinater uses Flareon and Lairon in her contest.

It was a contest where you could (or had to) use two pokemon in the contest. One for appeals and one for battles.

May used two too, Beautifly for appeals and Bulbasaur for battling.

ChaosMage

Izit cuz I is black?
Hmm... will this title be Masquerain or Lairon based? I can't find a decent pun for either pokemon (and, knowing 4Kids, they won't either!)

G

Geki

This was a great episodes. I wish Tsukiki could have beat Drew, she probably could have if that last Shock Wave kicked in. It was awesome when Tsukiki's Flareon did that Ember and Swift to create red stars! May shouldn't have used Bulbasaur, Ash was right. Bulbasaur never even had any training or battles yet, and Tsukiki's Lairon was expierienced. 8/10.

V Faction

www.faction.com
A title change here would be hot.

A very good episode that's sure to spawn some talk. Another wacky TC, the Gyms vs. Contests debate, and underlying sexual innuendos! And Second Movie music!

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
May was an absolute jerk. Considering Ash trained a Bublasaur for a couple years, he could have helped her. I don't care what they claim, any trainer could win the second half a contest. Not to mention May was acting like Co-ordinators are superior to trainers. Huh, the reverse is true actually.

I'm glad she got her head handed to her. Especially since she didn't deserve the last Ribbon she won. Like Ash in Dewford, she needed a good humbling.

At least her next contest will be believable.

May went corrupt. Interesting idea.
Bulbasaur having stage fright was a great idea. Gave it personality.
I liked the frozen bubbles idea. I was expecting Hidden power to break them and make a Pseudo-Hail, but the way the animé did it was cool, too.
Swift and Ember was a good idea, too. Very creative. Too bad the games don't let you do that.......
May really got put in her places by the judges XD. Kind of funny to watch, IMO.
The MFP were pretty enthusiastic about the Contests o_O. Too much, almost.

Did Beautifly know Morning Sun before this? I don't remember it ever using it before.

Overall rating:
8.9 out of 10!!!
Not the best Contest episode ever, but still pretty good. Character development for May, too.

SC~ out

Jonouchi

Chibi-cario
Well, at least they got the TC right his time. Ludicolo may be a water type, but it's also a grass type as well

Overall, this was a good episode. I didn't know Shock Wave could hit on contact (To be honest, I though it was Thunder Wave. Then again, we haven't seen Shock Wave in anime yet (I'm not sure if it did appear, I didn't see all the AG episodes)) hopefully, may will have learned a valuable lesson about battling

7/10

Jesse GS the II

I was frozen today!
Whoo boy, was May a ***** this week or what? But it offered a new angle on the whole contest thing - her desire to prove that she's better than Drew inflates her head to the point where she thinks she's better than everyone, and she tanks as a result. That's good writing.

I thought Jessie and James' subplot offered the most laughs this week, from them being thrown out of the contest center in the beginning to Jessie running her "sweatshop" ("How do you expect me to overcharge for underproduction?" "Same as we always do?"). If Jessie and James were confined to more subplots like that, I don't think I'd have as much of a problem with them showing up in every episode.

Altogether, this was another good one. Ash helps May see the error of her ways at the end, good friend that he is. It'll be interesting to see May's next coupla contests.

P.S. Trainer's Choice done it again this week...but Ludicolo IS a Grass type, so I guess I can forgive them a little.

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
I would have put it blunt. They've "babied" May around. I think the tongue lashing Nurse Joy gave her was the first time anyone wasn't nice to her in giving her advice. Even Drew isn't willing to be sharp with her. Though he's a jerk who thinks everyone is inferior.

This talk will probably get me flamed by KawaiiestCombusken but I don't care. They can kiss my rear for all I care. I enjoyed myself.

Last edited:

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
This was a very good episode, and I'm glad the writers had May lose another contest. It just wouldn't seem right if she kept winning contest after contest, so I'm glad she took a loss.

Pretty good interactions in this episode. May was acting really *****y towards everyone. I loved the way Brock looked at Drew after May was yelling at Ash and Drew goes "Heh." and shrugs it off.

May is really lucky to have Ash as her friend, he didn't get mad at all when May was yelling right in his face. The fact that Ash comforted May at the end of the episode was a nice way to show Ash cared, without any sort of argument at the end of the episode.

And sheesh, what is with the constant Drew worship? C'mon, do girls really see him as the best looking guy ever? All the girls seem to go crazy over him, yet May still gets angry at him since he's her rival and all.

I also thought Team Rocket was great in this episode. Finally a scheme that's actually funny and isn't annoying.

Very good episode.

EDIT: There was some underlying pedophilia themes in this episode. Drew can't be any older than Ash is, yet these mothers are all attracted to him. Hello, pedophilia anyone?

Last edited:

Medea

Excalibur
Yeah I know it has been said before, but May was "The" ***** of the week ;)! But then of course I swear she acts like Ash at times (and this episode just proved it). Since we all know how Ash gets when trying to challenge a gym leader (perfect example the first match against Brawly)

...With that said, this was an okay episode (as in not one of the greatest). I will say this though, the part when May loses and after getting told off by Nurse Joy & and Contesta (or whatever that guys name is), dead silence is a *****!

PDL

disenchanted
due to the crap reception my TV got today, I didn't get parts of the episodes. Unfortunately, this inculded most of the good parts, such as May's swelled ego and the deflating of it D:

what were the other 2 choices for the trainer's choice, I know Ludicolo was the first guy, and they chose Camerupt, but what were the other 2?

and for some reason, it seems that KidsWB has decided not to re-air newest episode on friday :\... so it'll be a few weeks til I probably get to see this episode again... *sigh*

Jonouchi

Chibi-cario
EvilKeckleon said:
due to the crap reception my TV got today, I didn't get parts of the episodes. Unfortunately, this inculded most of the good parts, such as May's swelled ego and the deflating of it D:

what were the other 2 choices for the trainer's choice, I know Ludicolo was the first guy, and they chose Camerupt, but what were the other 2?

and for some reason, it seems that KidsWB has decided not to re-air newest episode on friday :\... so it'll be a few weeks til I probably get to see this episode again... *sigh*

I don't remember. One of the two others (Besides Ludicolo and Camerupt) was Mightyena, but the other one, I don't remember

M

MayAsh1987

Man, haven't been posting any lately since I'm busy but FINALLY! THANK YOU! A good episode! The last few weeks, the episodes was so dull, but I really loved this episode! I really like May's other side! Acting like a bi-otch, doesn't care. She was very cocky! I'm surprised that Ash didn't yell at her for May yellin' in his face. I was clapping and yelling was May doing.

This episode remind me alot of Brave the Wave, because a similiar situation happened like that too that we all know!

Okay, now I'm calm! May felt like she knew everything. I think Ash and May roles had been swapped for a bit. May was acting like Ash at the part when she was talking to Savannah. Then when Ash was about to give advice to Savannah, May yells in his face. Ash acted like May since she's normally afraid if Ash yelled at May. But their roles went back to normal after May lost. I like the sweet talk Ash give to MAy.

Team Rocket was funny in this episode, I liked how Jessie trying to get in with that big fat ribbon and how J&M answered of why they rejected Jessie. Their plan would of been great if they made diffent kinds of ribbons. I felt sorry for poor Meowth and James. They have to do the sewing while Jessie is laying the ribbons in place. Did anyone besides me saw how they didn't recite the motto at all? Nice break for a change.

AND FINALLY! The Trainer's Choice wasn't screwed up that bad! I yelled at the TV last week of how Arbok evolved into Seviper.

Lastly, the things that annoyed me how the MFP ladies were hitting on Drew who he's still a kid or teenager. Come on, that is sick, grow up MFP! Also Sandra was bugging me a bit. I'm sorry, but I didn't like her that much. She thinks she knows everything which for me that bugs me!

Overall, I give this episode 7.7 out of 10. The part I like the best when May was acting like a *****, and battles.