• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Cubone and Marowak

GreenHero

Master Of The Clouds
Cubone wears the skull of it's dead mother. However, Marowak is bigger than
Cubone, and if you play a game and happen to get a cubone egg, cubone still
has a skull, But it's mother is still alive.

What is this mystery?

.Wind.

Banned
I think the dead mother's skull thing is just another pokedex tall tale and all cubone's have a skull since it really can't be from a dead mother. Also if it was then we might know what Marowak's face looks like. So, just like so many other pokedex entries this is something the dex said but, doesn't make sense.

RaZoR LeAf

Night Terror
It might not mean it in the literal sense. "Wears" can be used to mean things other than a fashion accessory. Think of the phrase "To wear his heart on his sleeve". If a Cubone has two Marowak parents, it may take on the physical appearance of the mother more than the father. In which case, a casual observer may remark that Cubone is "wearing" it's mothers face.

Hell_fire

......duck...
its a poke myth, like the fact that flgon brings sand storms (but doesn't have sandstream) or absol predicts disasters (but doesn't have anticipation) and that magikarp can splash over mountains

Abysmal Zero

Burninating
Maybe it's a reference strictly regarding the behaviours of wild Cubone and Marowak? Of course in captivity they're raised better, and so maybe the mother Marowak goes looking for a dead one for a skull for the child Cubone. I mean, how close can the daycare couple really be paying attention if their phrase when you come up is "My goodness, we were surprised!"

Aviano

I dropped my balls
People used to believe water buffalos had poisonous eyes, and if one ever looked at you it would instantly kill you.

Moral of this story, people make stuff up al the time.

League

Master Abra Catcher
Maybe it just refers to wild pokemon or what Razor said. Or, it could mean that if its mother dies, it wears the skull (by which I mean, if the mother isn't dead, it doesn't wear the skull). Basicly, Farfetch'd has a stick. It's born with it. If it's friend dies, it switches sticks. Still, it is impossible for you, a casual human observer, to see the difference.

Eaglehawk

Banned
Then I wonder what would cubone's face look like if it's mother was not dead. Would it be a marowak head?

Jukain:)

Heart & Soul...
When you breed, you watch the pokemon hatch from the egg. When Cubone comes out, it wears a skull. When Farfetch'd comes out, it holds a leek. When Vulpix comes out, it has six tails. When Ponyta comes out, it is on fire.

But these contradict the Pokedex.
Cubone wears the skull of it's mother, Farfetch'd breeds near lakes for the purpose of finding leeks, Vulpix is born with only one tail, and Ponyta bursts into flame a little while after birth.

But I think of this as more of a breeding loophole then a pokedex mistake. All of these pokemon mentioned were from Generation I, before breeding came into play, so making breeding logical was not a factor taken into account when writing the Pokedex in RBY.

...Of course, there were still eff'ups. With Kingdra causing whirlpools and Dugtrio cauing earthquakes, the Pokemon world is probably in half, lol.

Aura Master

Smell of Success
The Pokedex is a lier.

Is exactly why I dont use it :p.

I think a cubone's face is dying flesh but that dosent explain why the rest of it's body- ok scratch that flesh part.

This makes me think about it lol. I used to think it was a Charmander. Rofl, i was little back then.

This would mean when I put a female Marowak with a Male Marowak, the mother would die and all I would get is a male Marowak and a Cubone egg.

That would suck if you used a lv 100 female Marowak. lol.

Ri-Chan

♚ get s l e a z y
Maybe since the begging of Pokemon time, Cubones find the bones of other cubons to put on its head?

League

Master Abra Catcher
Or, you can use the flexibility of the English language and assume that it's all moot if the mother isn't dead.
But these contradict the Pokedex.
Cubone wears the skull of it's mother, Farfetch'd breeds near lakes for the purpose of finding leeks, Vulpix is born with only one tail, and Ponyta bursts into flame a little while after birth.
These contradict pokemon bred (basicly, if there was a book detailing the wild births of animals, there'd be obvious contradictions with animals born into captivity). As well, it's only because there are limited sprites. Each family generally only has 2 or 3 stages for goodness's sake. Sometimes, they're not even pure upgrades. You can't expect something to be there for a Ponyta or Vulpix just born.

Regardless, you can say it only matters if the pokemon is wild. As well, the mother of a Cubone can be a Cubone, which is more likely than a Marowak considering its location.

Alkaide

Scary Faerie♥
It's just a game, don't look into it. Chances are, the people who created the game don't even know the answer.

Think Togepi

Here I Am.
^ This is almost always true.

This would mean when I put a female Marowak with a Male Marowak, the mother would die and all I would get is a male Marowak and a Cubone egg.

Who said that the mother dies when she breeds?

Bobby Frank JR

Mewy Christmas!
Cubone likes to steal skulls from angry warlords.

Problem solved.

Cubone can also turn eggshells into skulls for it's head. Pwned.

pokemonmaster3.0

Stop laughing...
It might not mean it in the literal sense. "Wears" can be used to mean things other than a fashion accessory. Think of the phrase "To wear his heart on his sleeve". If a Cubone has two Marowak parents, it may take on the physical appearance of the mother more than the father. In which case, a casual observer may remark that Cubone is "wearing" it's mothers face.

Just saying, but it says (or I heard somewhere) that a Cubone also holds its mom's femur.