• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Cursing

Flamle

Every Weekend....
I suppose that cursing is just like releasing your anger with punching the wall: it makes you look like a moron and it always hurts in the end. Although, everyone does it every now and then. Some more than others, but everybody curses.

jefferies

Stephen Fry made the point much more eloquently than I can, but I'll have a go at reiterating it. Swearing is a peculiar thing in its nature. If our species were looked at through the eyes of an alien species they would see the sheer brutality innate in our species in our abhorrent acts of violence. In the way we use torture on our fellow man, in our exploitative nature of others and the world about ourselves etc. The acts that would be admired, would be our parental compassion, our love for our families. Our somewhat incomprehensible altruism when examined through the eyes of an evolutionist. Yet those words associated with the beauty of our species such as the f-word ( am I allowed to swear on this forum? ). Associated with the birth of infants and our parental compassion is frowned upon. And yet words like torture are thrown about without anyone giving the word a seconds thought. e.g 'the walk home was torture'. I guess then swearing shouldn't be something frowned upon. But we are slaves to social pressures. As such, if you want to be seen as someone who is civilised and well spoken the age is never. But that certainly doesn't stop me…

Malanu

Est sularus oth mith
I suppose that cursing is just like releasing your anger with punching the wall: it makes you look like a moron and it always hurts in the end. Although, everyone does it every now and then. Some more than others, but everybody curses.
Very insightful. I have sworn for a long time! I cleaned up my vocabulary when my daughter was born & again when my son was. I try to set a good example, however, being human I fail & my children are there to censor me.

Flamle

Every Weekend....
Very insightful. I have sworn for a long time! I cleaned up my vocabulary when my daughter was born & again when my son was. I try to set a good example, however, being human I fail & my children are there to censor me.

There's nothing wrong with it, really. I suppose that it's a lot better then proving violence and destroying glassware and dishes. I view that cursing can also be a better habit to partake in rather than vandalism or taking unnecessary violence against someone or against objects.

Fire_Paw

Moonwatcher
Cursing is something that, especially where I'm from, I hear every day whether at school or out around town so I can't say I think of it as a bad thing, just not something I want to do. Really, I don't think there's an age where it's accepteble to cuss, since I've heard an eight year old cuss before, and I know an eighteen year old who I've only heard cuss once.

Niihyl

Posthuman
... They have actual age-requirements for cursing? What the hell?

I think it's ridiculous. I hear more swearing AT SCHOOL than anywhere else. Of course, I've never actually heard much swearing in elementary school...

But stuff like, "It's okay to swear at # years old" is just... what the?

Of course, constantly swearing makes you sound like a moron. Unless something's either really awesome, or really horrible. Cluster F Bomb time.

Asterveil

Go figure.
People can swear when they want to. I'm not one for cursing, but people can do whatever they want to do.. It's kind of bad when you see second graders saying the f-word though...

**** is a word.
Hello is a word.

Saying hello is good, and ****ing is good. (Trust me, it is.)
So why can I use hello but not ****.

deoxysdude94

Meme Historian
I hate adults who think this is bad. It's become the vernacular today. It's okay if used in general, when it's not directed towards someone. Like, "oh, ****, i just dropped my cell phone" is fine. But cursing someone out isn't okay (in most cases).

Draknir

Fear the Deer
I tend to "cuss" a lot when I am pissed off. Sometimes, I just do it for the hell of it. As a result, I have no problem with it. I do have a problem if I hear A.) People using F--K excessively and B.) Someone under the age of 13 using it.

Not anymore.

Let me be honest with you: I'm against swearing in general. Yes, I know they're words with definitions, and that they're Anglo-Saxon words that the French found "dirty" and "of the commoners", but these days, they've been degraded to something down-right disgusting. The "F" word came to being because it was short for the name of a felony that a prostitute was known for back in the day (and I can't think of the felony name at the moment, but if you were to look up the origins of the "F" word, you may run into it).

Another example: in seventh grade, my math teacher went on a rant about swearing, and he said that if you call someone a "f*g", you're calling them a bundle of sticks, because that's what the word originally meant. It was the most interesting hour I have ever had that whole year.

Anyhoo, I won't lie when I say that sometimes my parents swear, but it's only because they get frustrated at whatever we do that was really stupid. They hate swearing, and though they have controlled themselves over the years, I remember hearing my parents swear no harsher than the "s" word quite often, we were dumb kids. In fact, there was a period of time when I was young where I saw swear words as just words. I remember saying "bullsh*t" twice in front of my friend when we were talking about boys, and she was shocked I even knew the word.

Nowadays, if I find it appropriate (which is rare), I'll say "bastard" or "slut" depending on the context of whatever conversation is going on. Because honestly, "bastard" is the most common word my mom will blurt out when talking about our family history. Because we're a bastard family... in a sense. (And Mom agreed with me when I jokingly said if we were sluts because of it, because I was sure that's what the female equivalent of "bastard" was.)

And of course, I have put swear words in my stories, but I do not say them out-loud. I find cussing stupid, annoying, and it makes the person seem unintelligent even when they actually are smart.

I'm not alone! :D And yes, by watching Simpsons, I learned that *** meant a bundle sticks. As for bastard, same thing. (I do not mean to use those as foul language.)

ebilly99

Americanreigon champ
I'm sorry for your children that you're their father.

You who are without sin may through the first stone... What part of that do you not understand?

Grovyl

Who dun dug diglett?
I really don't see why everyone thinks it makes you a moron to curse? I can see how using it excessively will make you look moronic, but saying it occasionally really doesn't IMO.

ebilly99

Americanreigon champ
Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.
2+2=5 threw first in any case.

do not return evil with evil, but instead return evil with good.

legendarypokemonmaster

Cursing is up to you. Some people don't like it. I don't like it, and don't curse because it makes you sound like a moron.