• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Custom Limited Format Rules (Work In Progress)

KD_Law

"Original" Idea of this came from reading about the 150 format and many many blogs. Some parts have been taken from article by Adam called "150 or More to See… An Introduction to Unlimited 150" Which he took from...etc etc...point is that I do not claim any intelectual property over anything here and just wish to have some fun and talk to people about how to make it better, maybe on the hopes to one day standarize it. XP All credit due to the web community where I can find great articles about this game we like so much. ^_^

Limited Format:All expansions are usable with current Official ruling adding the ones here. When this rules conflict with official rules this rules win.

Code of Trainer(Here after referred as C.o.T.):pokemon is about training your Pokemon to fight the other Trainer's Pokemon; not mess up with the trainers so that your Pokemon can win; for this reason;
A. Energy, Hand, and Deck(A.K.A. milling) Disruption must be kept to a minimum and decks based on this are not encouraged archetypes (there may be exceptions like the Lost Zone deck as it has a theme).
B.Consistent turn 1 wins are to be broken via errata restriction or Banning. A.K.A. "donk"
C. Prevent abuse of a Trainer cards which make them a must in every-single-deck. Thou there are some Staples, not every deck should need "that" card.

All decks must be thematic so all Pokemon must meet at least one of these:
1.1.1 All Pokemon be of the same energy type, either in the attacks/abilities or they Pokemon type (weakness or resistant do not count for this) There is no limit in how many types you can use (i.e Evee all types deck)
1.1.2 All Pokemon have an affiliation (i.e. Team Plasma, Team Galactic, Team Rocket)
1.1.3. All Pokemon be part of the Anime Story (Kanto Gym Leaders, All evil organizations or something creative)

All Trainer cards have a type and subtype
(NOTE: Item is both type and subtype i.e. A Pokeball is a Trainer:Item:Item)
1.2.1 Types are: Item/Supporter/Stadium
1.2.2 Subtypes are: Item/Ace Spec/Tool/Technical Machine/Fossil

- "Abilities" and "Pokémon Powers" are split into:
1.3.1 Poké-Powers If it requires activating (e.g. uses “you may”)
1.3.2 Poké-Bodies If the effect is static

If a card mentions Abilities or Pokémon Powers (eg. “all Pokémon Powers cannot be used”) this covers Poké-Powers and Poké-Bodies.

Restricted Cards:
- Gust of Wind
- Lass
- Super Energy Removal

Banned Cards/Abilities:
- Download Ability

Errata:
- Old Computer Search is an Ace Spec
- Item Finder finds only "Trainers->Items->Items/Technical Machines/Fossil"
- Junk Arm finds only "Trainers->Items->Items/Technical Machines/Fossil"

KD_Law

STUFF being considered:

- Fossil Pokemon do not count toward the 1 per turn trainer card. THis is true for any Fossil card that has an HP and can be knocked out. They have the 'Item' Subtype. Some are: Helix, Dome, Skull, Armor, Root, Claw, Mysterious, Holon.
- Fossil Excavator (Majestic Dawn MD 82) searches for any Fossil that can evolve
Considering because I have not played with them so I am not familiarize on how this could be better or worse.

- No Trainer cards can be played if you go first.
Considering because I have not play-tested and I didn't play when that rule was in effect.

ven?

Kanto Region Champ
this

"1.1.1 All Pokemon be of the same energy type, either in the attacks/abilities or they Pokemon type (weakness or resistant do not count for this) There is no limit in how many types you can use (i.e Evee all types deck)"

Contradicts itself, and has typo errors.

A lot of these rules don't make sense. Lost zone and milling are the same thing, and neither make up a theme just a strategy. Donking isn't an issue, if you want it to be errated, go online and look up every deck out there and ban cards such as sableye SF, jolteon ex, drifblim LA, etc, etc, decks and or cards that take turn 1 or 2 at an auto win, restricting or errating cards will just result deck based abuse, or do a best out of 3 ruling to ensure that both players are allowed equal setup. Don't errata cards, just go by what the card says, have a judge that can enforce the rulings, archtypes should be allowed to create decks with various ways to win, if a deck discards energy or mills cards the opponent should always think of a way to timely beat there opponent before they get beaten which is why most mill decks don't make it far in a tournament if most of those players have well used and played counters for anything that gives them troubles. What rules do you have, as in don't attack turn 1, can't use trainers and/or supporters turn 1, can't attaché energy turn 1? Rule for rare candy? Rule for abilitys versus Poke_____ as that wasn't clear, should the rulings be based off of what the card says or not? In pervious formats poke:powers only refered to poke powers as there are cards such as cessation crystal which counter both, or cards that only block bodies, how would you explain that in your meta? A lot of the cards you choose to restrict don't make sense, why errata computer search as an acespec only if they can put in X amount of item finder? Not restricting Itemfinder to 1 card doesn't matter if you restrict those item cards to 1 per deck, they can just either choose to junk arm or itemfinder to get it back at the amount of junk arm and item finder per deck which is 8, therefore making the restriction ruling useless, even if you do the same for item finder and junk arm the same thing can been done both ways. On a side note restricting SER doesn't make sense as it has to be useful to play at 4, if not garbodor shouldn't have a problem in making the deck harder to play against.

To me it seems that you are lacking experience in playing with and or playing against a lot of unlimited decks in general.

Last edited:

KD_Law

Thanks man. You gave me a lot to think, unfortunately I don't have the time to reply or think about this right now (work work work) but wanted you to know that I appreciate your comments and that I will give a proper reply as soon as possible.

And yes, I did state I was a newbie. And English is not my first language. XP