• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Cutting the Ties that Bind! (440)

N

nameless

Rene Swee said:
Yeah, Sceptile had regain its old moves back. Its Leaf Blade is awesome and defeats Jessie's Dustox and James's Cacnea. May's Eevee learns a new attack, Shadow Ball much like her Squirtle learns 2 new moves, Ice Beam and Hydro Pump. Ash meets the Battle Palace Leader: Spenser.
I think Ash will use his Heracross, his Swellow and his Sceptile against Spenser's Venusaur, Shiftry and Claydol in the next episode.

Uh yeah the preview showed that already.

But it was interesting to see Sceptile trying hard to regain it's moves.

ChaosMage

Izit cuz I is black?
Sceppy is against Claydol, so I doubt it will use Thunderpunch. Brick break is the best bet, since Claydol' famous for using Reflect/Light Screen.

Anyway, onto this episode! Sceptile, Shadow Ball, Scott and Spenser? The 4 S's which lead to success!

Yamato-san

I own the 5th gen
I really like this episode. Anything heavy on interactions between the characters and their main Pokemon is always great, especially if it's such a kickass Pokemon like Jukain. This episode reminds us that Satoshi can take a lot of punishment and still keep going.... injured knee, a barrage of poison pins, now when was the last time we saw such (non-comic relief) brutality towards a human on this show? And Jukain not only gets his techniques back, he uses them quite nicely (another compliment to the double Leaf Blade, but also Quick Attack to descend quicker than Satoshi in order to catch him, and immediately using Bullet Seed to soften the landing, sweet). I enjoyed those peaceful moments where the other characters were talking with Ukon, as well.

As I've said in the preview thread, I have absolutely no beef with Eievui learning Shadow Ball as I did with Zenigame learning Ice Beam. For one, I like Eievui better, since it's actually cute, gives hope for a nice evolution (let's face it, those writers just like those non-fire Kantou starters in their basic forms too much for whatever reason), and not such a bad choice of Pokemon to give a main character (before anyone comments, let me add "compared to Zenigame. Somewhat recent XD ad>outdated Fire/Leaf ad"). Hell, if it suddenly beat Harley in its state, there wouldn't be near as much tension building as I've had with the turtle to break the camel's back (I'd still be p[FONT-"Verdana"]i[/FONT]ssed, of course). Shadow Ball actually makes sense, as it could be inherent given its origins, and over the past few episodes, Haruka has mentioned working on techniques with Eievui. For those who only saw the pictures, it's worth noting that Eievui doesn't suddenly learn Shadow Ball while training here. Actually, Haruka commands Shadow Ball, like it already knew it, even more of an indication that it's been getting some training off-screen. It also helps that it doesn't go from being coddled to instantly kicking ass within the same damn episode.

Yay! Cocoon appears.... not actually doing something like Tsukushi's Trancel, but it appears, and for more than 5 seconds ^^.... and holy crap, a Lucky that isn't owned by Joy, and actually using a technique. Sure didn't see any of that coming from an episode mostly involving Spear swarms. Speaking of the unexpected, I too gotta laugh at the return of Rocket Dan's cardboard box. XD

Geodude said:
I thought it was neat that after Sceptile saved Ash, the first thing it did was pick out a new twig. Kinda symbolic eh? It did the same thing back when it first evolved into Grovyle.

I think that would've worked so much better if he was without a twig between his heartbreak with Meganium and now.

Last edited:

Geodude

Nah, the new twig this time did mean a new chapter for Sceptile, because it regained its moves and its confidence.

Yeah the Ash/Sceptile bonding was great, and I loved seeing how protective Sceptile was of Ash, regardless of its inability to attack and its injured condition.

GreenKirby

GreenKirby
3 Words to say:

;254;BEST. EPISODE. EVER! ;254;

This episode was very truly remarkable. So much character development, truly an episode to watch. I loved it when Sceptile got revenge on Team Rocket pokemon. And the fact that Sceptile got LOADS of screentime and so did Ash. A well done episode on my favorite pokemon.

Thriller

Its almost time
El oh El, at first I posted this in another thread.

Nice Episode.

I HATE Bonsly! All it does is sit on Brocks arm drinking milk. I hope it shows its real potential in either the ep after next weeks or in the contest its supposed to be in.

I felt so sorry for Sceptile. I felt so upset as it was banging its head on a tree. I also felt a tear as it was protecting Ash from the Beedrill before falling off the cliff.

I wasn't Suprised that Scott would show up at this battle facility like a fat a** stalker he is but he was a week early.

Someone mentioned how Spencer could be Safari Warden, lets compare the two:

Spencer Warden
Bald Bald
Slit Eyes Slit Eyes
Safari Pokemon Lives in Safari

Interesting, maybe Spencer is related to the gun toting Warden.

Sceptile is so awesome... It focused very hard and regained its moves to save its beloved trainer. I always enjoy it when Ash's Non Baby Pokemon show real love and trust to him.

Why does TR try to kill Ash? All those Poison Stings could really do a number on ya. Say, why not a Pin Missle/Poison Sting combo? Oh wait, Pin Missle has a new look (hasn't seen the dub much lately).

Nice to see a non Nurse Joy person with a Chansey, too bad it won't be used next ep.

ghost master

the kawaiist thing
I HATE Bonsly! All it does is sit on Brocks arm drinking milk. I hope it shows its real potential in either the ep after next weeks or in the contest its supposed to be in.
It does more than any other of Brock's pokemon. Also I think it's fine it has attracted Brock ladies and alo Brock is a breeder so it shows he is actually nurturing his pokemn not neglecting them. Also we'll be seeing it the focus in an upcoming filler and it will be battling in an upcoming contest.
Nah, the new twig this time did mean a new chapter for Sceptile, because it regained its moves and its confidence.
thats what I thought as well.

Magus

Fog Trainer
Also, Bonsly lets Brock actually have a Rock-type Pokémon. Seeing has he used to specialize in Rock-types and according to his Hoso they're still his favorites, it didn't make sense for Brock to not have any.

Haunter Hunter Sohrab

Johto Champion
The episode was pretty good. I should haveknown Scott would appear since Spenser was in the preview. I wonder what happened to Swellow, Donphan, and Corphish. The poor guys didn't get recalled into their balls.

Manene was pretty funny and I really liked how Sceptile regained his attacks. Overall a good episode for me. I really like those funny things that happen during the intermissions.

Gravy

Contaminated KFC
Woah, when's the last time they played 'Boku no Best Friend' during an episode? One that DOESN'T focus on Ash and Pikachu's friendship no less. It was definatly a nice change to hear the song coasting along whilst Ash was paired with another pokémon.

I like episodes where we see characters who are usually solitary show their loyalty and compassion towards those they hold dear. Its really quite heartwarming to watch as a matter of fact. Of course, we've had instances like this before, but it felt a lot more meaningful this time around. Sceptile knew full well that he was unable to defend himself against the oncoming threat, yet he still threw himself into harm's way, just to protect Ash. Its actually a very corny way of developing a relationship between them, but it works well nonetheless.
And of course, developing the character of a Pokémon is always a plus. Sceptile's quite an emotional guy, and its quite interesting to see a pokémon taking their hardships so harshly for a change. I'm glad that the writers seen the error of their ways and have stopped neglecting his personallity. Its a releif to see him getting so frustrated over his temporary disabillity and his determination to regain his attacks.

It was a great episode, despite some tiresome clichés. Dustox appearing and Manene's first proper Wobbuffet imitation clinched it.

Also...whats up with people claiming that Team Rocket used their cardboard box tank? It looked nothing like the one used WAY back in episode 4, and it certainly didn't sound like it was made of cardboard as the Beedrill were attempting to pierce it :/

Geodude

OK I've gotta know...did TR make any reference to that cardboard box while they were hiding? Cause that would've been awesome. They could've said something about how "this time we're protected for sure cause we have the Super Deluxe version" or whatever.

And I'm surprised nobody mentioned Scott's Repel. That's the first time we've seen one in the anime.

Geodude

I don't know the Japanese name for Repel, but that's what it probably is, so that's what I called it.

I have finished the synopsis for this episode...yes, my first one in forever, I know...and am about to send it to Serebii. You guys should see it up tomorrow.

J

Jacque-de-Lemono

Good, I hate it when it takes a long time to actualy read about it, eh?