• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Cutting the Ties that Bind! (440)

Alloutℯ

Banned
I liked the plot of this episode, and the animation was great. The music was good too. And I can't believe Ash hurt his leg and still managed to jump like that. My jaw dropped when I saw that scene.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I felt sympathy for Jukain when he ran into the jungle since he seemed to have wounded pride given that he couldn't use any attacks. The Spear chase was a good way of letting Satoshi encounter Ukon, and the Rocket-dan's anti-Spear cardboard box was hilariously bad. It was awesome how Ukon's Fushigibana could calm the Spear swarm.

Daizy

I call you honey
Spenser apparently has a Chansey. Cool. It was a good episode. I really liked seeing Ash and Sceptile bonding and I loved seeing how protective Sceptile was of Ash.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Spenser apparently has a Chansey. Cool. It was a good episode. I really liked seeing Ash and Sceptile bonding and I loved seeing how protective Sceptile was of Ash.

Ukon's Lucky seemed like a healer only however, which was vexing since we've seen so many healer Lucky in the past with Joi.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Jnmisty said:
I am kind of surprised that Ash didn’t pass out from the barriage of poison sting from Jessie’s Dustox and the fact that he also injured his knee as well.

It was somewhat unrealistic that he could move around much at all after what he endured here, but I suppose that his concerns about Jukain's well-being overshadowed his own pain.

Jnmisty

That maybe true, the pain could have been brought to the others attention not long after the episode was over.

Love Ash and Sceptile's bond. Liked seeing Spencer here too, but the Sceptile Evolving Arc should have been in between the seventh and eighth badges
Ash: I may have never been in love, but it must be tough to have your heart broken Sceptile. After what Brock told me when we where on the island with the Donphan, I finally understand...

DayQuil95

Why's this episode so underrated? I just remember it briefly as a kid, but now that I rewatched it I easily have it in my top 10, maybe even 5. Not only does this give Sceptile a much-needed character development and arc to go through, but it also shows just how strong his bond with Ash is, even though he never had to rely on anything like a special training, special ability, tragic backstory, one-of-a-kind ability, or anything like that through his battles, no, Sceptile is Ash's first ace that he has started training by himself, just the two of them, and the growth that they had through it is evident in just how much Sceptile developed from a stubborn Treecko that was constantly picking himself back up from losses to a more competent Grovyle that still had ways to go, and then finally into a mature Sceptile that even then had a rough start, but was shown to have immense potential anyway.

The theme song that plays as Sceptile and Ash weakly walk helping each other and picking each other on the way to finding Pikachu, connecting with each other, and showing just how similar they are was absolutely beautiful to see. Even when unable of using any moves, he still was brave enough to put himself in the middle of Ash and hundreds of angry Beedrills, he still had the willpower to go through so many things all because his heart was broken by something that didn't quite go right, and this is what in my opinion makes Sceptile so interesting as an ace because aces usually have a resolution to their biggest arc through a shining battle against an important rival that has had a deep connection to them while being tutored by Ash and connecting deeper with him, but here Sceptile's resolution had less to do with fighting, and more with coping with being unable of fighting and how we all feel weak sometimes, with Ash being the primary resolution here rather than a factor used to achieve such resolution solely.

Overall, 10/10 episode IMO. I loved every single moment of it. The whole thing about Pokemon and humans connecting with each other, as Ash constantly sacrifices himself to avoid further harm to Sceptile, and Sceptile grows to respect Ash more and more with each step they give, this was all just so damn beautiful to watch. Also helps that Spenser is a very charismatic character that was willing to help them through it, and with how Sceptile has a battle for himself to shine in after being cast aside so much throughout the Battle Frontier up to that point, this all just felt like solidifying Sceptile as Ash's first ace that he trained solely by himself and building the grounds for what would later be the first Pokemon to beat the Legendary Darkrai that swept right through an entire region.