• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Cyber bullying & Suicide

evolutionrex

The Awesome Atheist
Sometimes being harrassed on a forum is like being punched in the face with words, but you cant just stoop to their level and give them what they want. Its your responsibility to be the bigger person. Most likely these people wouldnt have the guts to say these thing to your face, thats why they do it on the internet. It is really hard not to retalliate when they say stuff to you, but you need just ignore it. By ignoring them or laughing it off, you take their power away.
No one can just ignore it. If someone makes fun of you for being a different race, you can't just shake it off. You can try to ignore it but it will still be on your mind and you'll still think about it. Then, the person tries do troll him online again, he tries to ignore him again but he can't keep doing it forever. In some way or another you have to release your anger or sadness but unfortunately the people who commit cyber-side can't becuase the people around him or her in real life will make fun of it. They can't tell anyone about there problems becuase they don't know there reactions. This happens all the time. it's impossible to ignore cyber-bullying, and ignoring any bullying for that matter.

Aquanova

i got banned on MySpace forums because some people ganged up on my and i simply tried to defend myself, yet i got banned, not them. It really wasnt fair and bans on Myspace forums are permanent always

TheSwram!

You've been bitten
I've never been cyber bullied, one of my friends was though and he got depressed, so basically I just got him to discontinue his online stuff for a while and hang out with him, it made him better I think, reaching out others is probably the best solution.

originally posted by natie

I have no sympathy for anyone. And looking at the way you type, I can easily tell you are less 'mature' than me, so you're really in no position to talk right now.
dude really? your commenting on my typing? just so you know typing isn't a form of maturity dumbshi* and the shi* you pretend to have is your false maturity.

posted by evolutiorex

No one can just ignore it. If someone makes fun of you for being a different race, you can't just shake it off. You can try to ignore it but it will still be on your mind and you'll still think about it. Then, the person tries do troll him online again, he tries to ignore him again but he can't keep doing it forever. In some way or another you have to release your anger or sadness but unfortunately the people who commit cyber-side can't becuase the people around him or her in real life will make fun of it. They can't tell anyone about there problems becuase they don't know there reactions. This happens all the time. it's impossible to ignore cyber-bullying, and ignoring any bullying for that matter.
i defiantly agree with you. The saying "sticks and stones may break my bones but word will never hurt me" is just completely wrong. No one can totally ignore bullying, the comments they made are always in the back of your mine, haunting you. If someone hurts you feelings once or even a couple times you can ignore it. But suicidal people are constantly harassed, completely embarrassed, and whatever crap people use to tear others down.

originally posted by Arceus-sama

but you cant just stoop to their level and give them what they want.
im pretty sure a bully wouldn't want someone to commit suicide because of them. Well some people might, but not most.

natie

Mr. F
dude really? your commenting on my typing? just so you know typing isn't a form of maturity dumbshi* and the shi* you pretend to have is your false maturity.
Another example of your pure childishness: you censor 'bad words'.

There truly is no need to start insulting me. Get out already, if you please.

evolutionrex

The Awesome Atheist
Another example of your pure childishness: you censor 'bad words'.

There truly is no need to start insulting me. Get out already, if you please.
WTF are you talking about? The words will be censored anyway, might as well do it yourself. You insulted him first so i think what he said was okay.

Also, did you see what you did? He insulted you, and you replied. You could have just ignored him but instead you replied. That, is evidence that people can't just ignore cyber-bullying.

vampireheart

♥ Speak Now xo ♥
It really sucks that they didn't speak up and just took the crap from everyone else. :(

Corroded Arceus

Shiny Hunter
I can see bits of both arugments.

Say, in a totally hypothetical situation, if I was trolled on here. I would just roll my eyes and laugh, probably move on. If I had taken offence to being insulted over the internet by someone I've never met in my life, enought to want to kill myself, I would be quite oversensitive, now wouldn't I? If someone was hurting my feelings online, I'd just block them and get over it, problem solved.

Keep in mind though, that younger kids use the internet. They don't have the same amount of resilience as older folk do. I remember getting very hurt emotionally in flame wars when I was younger. What we need is to keep younger kids away from internet forums and such, because older people feel tough behind their monitors and feel the right to troll younger kids.

Now, another matter entirely is cyberbullying that involves people from school and such. Another hypothetical situation: Say you're a kid who always gets bullied, ridiculed and left out at school. Your only escape is through the internet, but the bullying follows you there, too. Here too you can be made an object of ridicule. This, in my opinion, is totally not ok. Because the kid has to see the bullies every single day at school, it's not as though it's just an internet person who can be blocked, and poof! they're gone forever. This kind of bullying has a more understandable effect on someone's emotions, since they have no escape from these people, so I think it's the school's job to intervene with such things.

So I can see both sides. People need to stop being so sensitive in some cases, but people need to stop being needlessly cruel as well.

Last edited:

natie

Mr. F
Another example of your pure childishness
hypocrite! hypocrite in the dungeon!.....that you ought to know.....

originally posted by Corroded Arceus

Keep in mind though, that younger kids use the internet. They don't have the same amount of resilience as older folk do. I remember getting very hurt emotionally in flame wars when I was younger. What we need is to keep younger kids away from internet forums and such, because older people feel tough behind their monitors and feel the right to troll younger kids.
true teens usually get ****** off more than older people. And teens also cause most of the bullying. And teens are easily depressed, well thats what they taught about adolescence.

CSolarstorm

New spicy version
hypocrite! hypocrite in the dungeon!.....that you ought to know.....

Oh, he knows, but it doesn't matter. He's got an ideal attitude to avoid succumbing to cyber-bullying. Kind of like Tendo said, if you don't want to suffer them, join them.

Evolutionrex also had a good point, the fact that you guys even had to reply to defend yourselves against each other, even if it was just to dismiss the validity of each argument, illustrates that people generally do care about what a faceless name online thinks of them. Cyber-bullying affects anyone who cares enough to have an emotional need to respond. And that is a fair number of people.

I guess when people absolutely need to respond to their demons, but but have no ability to, that's when they get into this frenzied emotional state where they become irrational enough to consider killing themselves. It is, admittedly, a horrible way to respond to something, but maybe they're so tortured by their need to respond that they're trying to quiet themselves forever.

Last edited:
posted by SunnyC

He's got an ideal attitude to avoid succumbing to cyber-bullying
was that really cyber bullying? natie is obviously a robot. He apparently feels no sympathy, so can feel any other emotions like anger or sadness? :p sigh that was much more unsatisfying than i though it would be.

Anywhoo SunnyC
posted by SunnyC

I guess when people absolutely need to respond to their demons, but but have no ability to, that's when they get into this frenzied emotional state
that happens a lot with cyber bullying. 'cause a lot of times you can't just respond to someone on the internet as easily as in real life.

yes, yes I am....tattletale JK.

forgot to post this earlier

posted by SunnyC

Evolutionrex also had a good point, the fact that you guys even had to reply to defend yourselves against each other, even if it was just to dismiss the validity of each argument, illustrates that people generally do care about what a faceless name online thinks of them. Cyber-bullying affects anyone who cares enough to have an emotional need to respond. And that is a fair number of people.
which is why people should feel some sympathy for the poor people who committed suicide, everyone gets bullied or into argument, but when someone does not respond it can cause emotion bottling which is very bad (know from experience)

CSolarstorm

New spicy version
was that really cyber bullying? natie is obviously a robot. He apparently feels no sympathy, so can feel any other emotions like anger or sadness? :p sigh that was much more unsatisfying than i though it would be.

Anywhoo SunnyC

that happens a lot with cyber bullying. 'cause a lot of times you can't just respond to someone on the internet as easily as in real life.

I'm sure natie can feel all sorts of emotions. He's not really a a cyber bully, just a cyber-goof. Doesn't mean he can't be serious, just means he doesn't want to be serious here. It's an admirable policy not to bring your serious buisiness onto a Pokemon forum.

It really is unsatisfying to try to be mean when it's not in your nature.

Last edited: