• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Cyber bullying & Suicide

Charmander#4

Dating Rosie Palms?
true teens usually get ****** off more than older people. And teens also cause most of the bullying. And teens are easily depressed, well thats what they taught about adolescence.

Teens need to deal with their problems.

J.T.

ಠ_ಠ
It's difficult to deal with their problems when they're dealing with the feeling that nobody cares about them or understands them. It's even more difficult when people respond to the phrase "I want to kill myself" with insults and stuff like "buck up, you pussy".

Zenotwapal

have a drink on me
See, usually the people who kill themselves for crap on the internet tend to be emotionally unstable, severe lack of self confidence in the beginning, or have mental issues. Or they maybe experiencing the same crap at school or the workplace.

It isn't easy to get over it if your mind won't let you, now will it?

houndourm

a-a-a-awesome
If you get that sad because someone says something mean to you and not even in person. And you kill yourself then you don't deserve the life you're given because you needlessly squandered it away.
people are too emotional these days.

J.T.

ಠ_ಠ
If you get that sad because someone says something mean to you and not even in person. And you kill yourself then you don't deserve the life you're given because you needlessly squandered it away.
people are too emotional these days.

Did you read this thread at all? Cyberbullying does not necessarily mean trolling forums, and most people who would attempt suicide from being trolled probably have way more **** going on in their lives than internet trolling.

And I still can't wrap my head around why people think this: Suicide is horrible, and if you want to kill yourself you don't deserve to live. By that logic, wouldn't suicide be a good thing...?

Cyberbullying is just as serious about other types of bullying. The "it's just the internet" thing is a load of rubbish. You wouldn't say that to someone being bullied in real life. The only difference between cyberbullying and other bullying is that it happens on the internet.

A lot of people say to just ignore cyberbullying because "it's just the internet", but it does need something done about it. If it's enough to make people kill themselves, then it is a serious problem.

The people that killed themselves could have had problems at home as well, I don't know. It's often several things that happen and cause something like this. It's rarely just one cause.

Eivana

There Is No NiGHTS!
Just saw the news about 2 gay kids killing themselves because of cyber bullying. Basically I just want to hear your say on this.

Is cyberbullying a big enough deal that you need to kill yourself for it?
Are people too sensitive or is cyberbullying really that bad?

I believe that bullying is bullying, whether it is cyber or real life. I do not believe that anyone should kill themselves over something as ridiculous as bullying, there is always the 'block' and 'avoidance' factor. If all else fails, call the police and get things working like that. There is no reason that anyone should ever have to kill themselves. Move, if you have to.

What gets on my nerves is both the bullier and the bully-ee. Both of them care too much about something they shouldn't care about at all. If they bully hates gays and homosexuals, then he should just avoid them and stay away from them, not go looking for them so he can tease them and in general make an *** of his/herself. He has no business talking to anyone that he doesn't have a real problem with unless he's wanting to be friends.

The bully-ee is ridiculous because he cares too much about what other people think of him. If he wants to be different, then he needs to get used to the idea that there are idiots out there who don't agree with him and who are going to bash him for his ideals. These things happen.

I think people should just leave each other alone. If they aren't actually physically or verbally bothering you, then just let them live their lives. If you hate gays, then leave them alone. They're not hitting on you, they're leaving you alone. Give them the same courtesy.

Ethan

Banned
I feel kind of differently about the issue now.. I learned that one of the recent gay teen suicides was in Minnesota, Justin Aaberg. Minnesota is my state, and he lived in Anoka which was just a few miles away from me. I was browsing through the friends list of one of my friends on facebook...and I saw him there. He was still there and his page hadn't been removed or anything. God I swear it was the weirdest feeling. I just sort of stared at his picture for awhile. It's easier to be insensitive when the people in question live far away. I never even met this kid, but just the fact that he was right there on facebook still there smiling in his profile picture on the friends list of someone I know just got to me.

Kids don't take their own lives over everyday and normal bullying that we all experience. If that were the case suicide would be much more common. For a 15 year old boy to just hang himself it had to be more severe than taking his lunch money obviously.

Last edited:

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
Can someone show me his facebook page and a good source of the story? I could use this in my speech presentations next Friday.

Unrelated to the debate so I apologize.

CSolarstorm

New spicy version
That's surreal. Earlier I was reading Yahoo comments saying Facebook is an idle time waster. But I guess it can also reveal to us how interconnected we really are.

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
Though not as surreal as Ethan, a friend of a friend was college lab partners with Clemente, the Rutgers recent suicide student.

NimhShambler

Some Broke Machine
I must say, I agree with Sunny and everyone else with a like opinion on this, and I feel being someone who attempted suicide twice and having been diagnosed with severe clinical depression, I may have a different point of veiw than some of you other people.

People say things over the internet they wouldn't normally say (and get "Internet Muscles") because no one can kick their *** through a computer screen. That's why when I come here, I try to be as polite and nice as possible, because some people (myself included) are already emotionally unstable, and you must always think of that, as it is a childish thing to think only of one's self. (Yeah, when I end up being the last person posting on a thread, I can't help but feel like a "Discussion Killer" and that no one likes me and I should just quit now....and I can't be the only person that feels like that.)

I mean, some people already have problems, and the asshats on the internet only make it worse for them. They may be bullied in real life. I'm not talking "take your lunch money and push you down" bullying, I'm talking psychological torture that can scar a person for the rest of their life. They may have abusive or neglegent parents, or another type of unstable homelife (ie: Parent is a junkie, parents can't pay rent, gets thrown out of house) or they may have mental and or emotional problems.

When you feel that no one likes/loves you and that they never, ever will (which is how I feel), then suicide starts to gleam in the back of their mind like a ruby glimmering in the sunlight. Hopelessness fills you up, to where you see no way out. Sometimes, all it takes is someone being nice to you, being your friend to pull you back from the brink of death. (Which is why I'm always nice to y'all on here. You never know who's miserable) And, on the other side of the coin, someone trolling you may be the straw that broke the proverbial horses' back, what sets them over the edge.

Hope that was coherant...I'm feeling sleepy...and depressed...

~Nemmeh

People who support ridiculing suicide victims need to get over themselves.

Does anybody else find it funny how people who are quick to smugly bring up natural selection with regards to bullying are people who in reality know next to nothing about Darwinian evolution?

Profesco

gone gently
I feel kind of differently about the issue now.. I learned that one of the recent gay teen suicides was in Minnesota, Justin Aaberg. Minnesota is my state, and he lived in Anoka which was just a few miles away from me. I was browsing through the friends list of one of my friends on facebook...and I saw him there. He was still there and his page hadn't been removed or anything. God I swear it was the weirdest feeling. I just sort of stared at his picture for awhile. It's easier to be insensitive when the people in question live far away. I never even met this kid, but just the fact that he was right there on facebook still there smiling in his profile picture on the friends list of someone I know just got to me.

One of them, Seth Walsh, liked Pokemon. How's that for connection? He might have been registered at this forum. There's always something, some little thing in every single case, that two people share between them. A truth that should go a long way to soften, a priori, the initial tough guy cynicism we're all inclined to.

I mean, some people already have problems, and the asshats on the internet only make it worse for them. They may be bullied in real life. I'm not talking "take your lunch money and push you down" bullying, I'm talking psychological torture that can scar a person for the rest of their life. They may have abusive or neglegent parents, or another type of unstable homelife (ie: Parent is a junkie, parents can't pay rent, gets thrown out of house) or they may have mental and or emotional problems.

~Nemmeh

The answer to this is primarily that life is tough and it is not our responsibility to coddle these troubled persons, and it's a response that irks me to no end. The point of this argument is not to tell people that they should become bleeding hearts and use every social interaction to perform feats of motivational guru empowerment on everyone with an emotional cough or sniffle, but to remind people that life's pre-existing toughness is in no way a reason to go out of their way to add to that burden. You don't have to take care of everyone, but it's clearly and irrationally wrong to put any effort into destroying everyone, too. Be respectfully neutral, don't be a jerk.

Does anybody else find it funny how people who are quick to smugly bring up natural selection with regards to bullying are people who in reality know next to nothing about Darwinian evolution?

The number of people speaking both for and against the related ideas and concepts of Darwinian evolution - let alone trying to use them in unrelated arguments - who in reality know next to nothing about that which they speak is comically high.

Last edited:

dragoniteKnight

Pose as a team
Just saw the news about 2 gay kids killing themselves because of cyber bullying. Basically I just want to hear your say on this.
im pretty sure it was more then just words that got these kids to kill them selves, pretty sure they were tortured to admit they were gay. ofc, feel free to correct me if im wrong

FireTheAbsolLord

Bad Username
Commiting suicide over real life bulling, I'm okay with, despite giving some schools a bad name. Cyber-bulling suicide, in my opinion, is mad. I've heard many times over to not take the internet to seriously. Suicide seems like an over dramatic option for cyber bulling.

Eloi

Commiting suicide over real life bulling, I'm okay with, despite giving some schools a bad name. Cyber-bulling suicide, in my opinion, is mad. I've heard many times over to not take the internet to seriously. Suicide seems like an over dramatic option for cyber bulling.

If you have no other way to interact with people due to circumstances in your life, and said people on internet are mean to you and you aren't equipped to handle it, I can see how it can happen. Especially if it correlates to real life. Like, say your daughter gets killed goreily in a car crash and you get trolled with detailed, colored, clear picture*s* of your daughter's corpse, this would be "cyber-bullying" and I could see why one would kill themselves in this situation.

minkachan

Verbal *** Kicking
I'd like to focus my post on cyber-bullying as applied to LGBT kids.

As a bisexual LGBT activist, it really seems to me that people don't think much of cyber-bullying because A) they don't understand that it isn't just chat rooms or forums or whatever, and B) they don't understand what it is like to be called a ***.

Now, I am completely for freedom of speech, and I believe that people have a right to say whatever they want, even if it is insensitive or cruel. What I have a problem with is when the speech or action invades a person's right to privacy.

Tyler Clementi, the gay college student who went to Rutgers, was video taped twice by his roommate when he asked to have a date over. That is cyber-bullying. But it's also illegal. Now, did the roommate intend for Tyler to commit suicide? I can't imagine anyone wanting that. But it comes down to a lack of respect, and that lack of respect is incredibly dehumanizing.

A lot of the boys who killed themselves were under the age of 15. I'm aware of a few instances in which the boys weren't even gay, but they were perceived to be by their classmates and teased both online and offline relentlessly.

That's an infringement on those boys' right to privacy in my opinion.

But forget that for a moment. There is a clear reason why LGBTQ kids are 4 times more likely to commit suicide than straight kids. Being gay is still stigmatized by a great percentage of the population. It's less than half by now, but that percentage gets amplified by the media and politicians and religious leaders. And that is their right, but we just need a little context about the atmosphere.

I ran a GSA (gay-straight alliance) at my high school, and I got a lot of heat. Now, we were a fairly open and inclusive school, but at that age there are people who either are confused with their own feelings or are ignorant to the feelings of others, and they make life extremely difficult for queer kids, especially but not exclusively if they have psychological disorders.

Now, as someone who has depression, anxiety and a laundry list of issues, I can say that a way to work on lowering the rates of suicide in teens in general would be to focus on counseling. I've had eating behavioral problems, and at a time when I could have really hurt myself, I had a wonderfully caring support system at my school. The internet is open and free (for now, but that's another issue entirely) and people can say what they want. But having a focus on qualified faculty in schools, especially in inner cities, is so fundamentally important.

FireTheAbsolLord

Bad Username
If you have no other way to interact with people due to circumstances in your life, and said people on internet are mean to you and you aren't equipped to handle it, I can see how it can happen. Especially if it correlates to real life. Like, say your daughter gets killed goreily in a car crash and you get trolled with detailed, colored, clear picture*s* of your daughter's corpse, this would be "cyber-bullying" and I could see why one would kill themselves in this situation.

Well when I think of suicide or cyber bulling, I think of trolls or haters, thats why I think its weird and kinda pointless. Even over a flamewar is pointless....in my opinion.