• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

D/P Discussion Suggestion

Bulk

Um... I realise this will probably be unpopular with some members as it's taking away rights etc but I just have one suggestion.

The D/P Discussion Forums are a SPAM pit, no doubt about it. I just looked thought eh threads and half of the ones on the first page have been locked. Therefore, why not implement the system used in Games and Clubs where all new threads go to the mods who have to approve them. That way there is less spammed threads and eventually people will learn.

This would stop the spammy threads being posted and so less would be locked. If there aren't enough mods to deal with the threads being posted, just appoint older mod to the forum or appoint some more.

I just think it'd help keep the spammers less likely to try and post threads and keep down the number of "NEW POKETMONS!1!1!!!" etc threads for other members having to sift through to get to some decent discussion.

It's just a suggestion though.

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Damn you...

Captain Brain

I personally would be stricter then that. Just make a few stickies and close all thread making to mods. Kind of like the system implemented in the Announcement forums. One sticky could be an official idea for threads. Low work required for mods after initial work is done. ;025;

Dragonair

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Bulk said:
Um... I realise this will probably be unpopular with some members as it's taking away rights etc but I just have one suggestion.

The D/P Discussion Forums are a SPAM pit, no doubt about it. I just looked thought eh threads and half of the ones on the first page have been locked. Therefore, why not implement the system used in Games and Clubs where all new threads go to the mods who have to approve them. That way there is less spammed threads and eventually people will learn.

This would stop the spammy threads being posted and so less would be locked. If there aren't enough mods to deal with the threads being posted, just appoint older mod to the forum or appoint some more.

I just think it'd help keep the spammers less likely to try and post threads and keep down the number of "NEW POKETMONS!1!1!!!" etc threads for other members having to sift through to get to some decent discussion.

It's just a suggestion though.
DO IT

DO IT NOW

lol Joe

Last edited:
Im also very annoyed about all this DP Discussion stuff. I think the best way to cope with it is to not allow normal members to post the threads. Only allow Mods, Super Mods and Admins to post new thread, and members can only post. This feature is on other VBulletin forums, so I guess it would be on this forum too.

If this did happen, it would probably cause outrage, but, whatever.

Bulk

Serebii said:
Damn you...
I'll take that as a complement.

Thinking about it, maybe it would be easier to simply make it so threads could only be posted by mods and above. The only problem there is that there are pieces of information (for example, the new Electabuzz evo) that were found by normal members. If you take away the ability to stop users finding information and posting it, the forums wouldn't "progress" as fast. But then again, all new information found by members could just by put into one thread.

Problem solved?

Bulk said:
I'll take that as a complement.

Thinking about it, maybe it would be easier to simply make it so threads could only be posted by mods and above. The only problem there is that there are pieces of information (for example, the new Electabuzz evo) that were found by normal members. If you take away the ability to stop users finding information and posting it, the forums wouldn't "progress" as fast. But then again, all new information found by members could just by put into one thread.

Problem solved?

I think Serebii found out about it yesterday, but since he did not update on Friday, he couldn't tell us. Presuming Serebii manages to update everyday for the next 2 months, that problem should not occur again. Although, I can't see a busy person updating their website everyday...

Ofcourse, I may be wring in thinking that Serebii knew yesterday.

Dragonair

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Joe was sleeping when the Japanese Diamond and Pearl site updated. It's not like he purposely holds news back from everyone. Sue him for sleeping. :p

And I oppose limiting new threads in D/P to just moderators. The mod queue would work well enough.

Last edited:

Bulk

Yeah, but still, a member got the information before. Therefore, helping the members and the forums. If members couldn't post, other sites would've got the information before Serebii.net. Surely Serebii wants his site to be “top-dog”?

It's because members help contribute that keeps the site so well updated and "top-dog". If you remove the ability for members to help, other sites will get the information first.

Still, it wasn't a massive time difference so it's not a massive problem. Only allowing mods post would work, I suppose.

Dark_Force

Dragonair said:
Joe was sleeping when the Japanese Diamond and Pearl site updated. It's not like he purposely holds news back from everyone. Sue him for sleeping. :p

And I oppose limiting new threads in D/P to just moderators. The mod queue would work well enough.

Joe was sleeping? He's losing his touch :rolleyes:

Anyways, i think mods should stop locking useless threads and INSTEAD delete any useless ones, and possibly send a pm to the thread maker saying why it was deleted.

~DF~

Atoyont

Brains for brawn
Japanese Diamond and Pearl site? Gimme the link, plz. :p

But yes, Bulk, this seems like quite a decent idea; all these newbies who think that they have the most novel ideas in the world, when infact, many others have thought of the same thing.

Paperfairy

Pokémon Capture Pro
My two cents:

Prevent normal members from making threads at all, and just make several discussion threads, including one for reporting news.

Oh look, problem solved. = D

liquinn

Boulder Trainer
Diamond/Pearl look awsome games, I'm going to buy them when the games come out in English. Hopefully the Japanese r** will be out soon when the game's released. :p

Liquinn.

Bulk

liquinn said:
Diamond/Pearl look awsome games, I'm going to buy them when the games come out in English. Hopefully the Japanese r** will be out soon when the game's released. :p

Liquinn.
And this is why members shouldn't be allowed to post in the D/P Forums. People don't read thread titles, first posts, anything else in the thread, the stickies, the section titles, it goes on. They don't listen to other suggestions, the mods, helpful other members, anybody and they certainly don't listen to warnings. They don't learn ANYTHING! What the hells the point in trying to discuss a set of damn fine looking games when all you get is crap thrown in your face?

Let's face facts. We don't need this implemented, we need a miracle.

MetalMario

< It's Passion Pink!
I've another idea, which might be a bit easier on the staff:

Hide a secret URL in the FAQ somewhere which members must visit in order to post in the Diamond/Pearl forums. It would be a special PHP script which would grant users posting privileges there.

Of course, for this to work, the FAQs would need to be combined, tidied up and contain all the important info.

game_mayhem

I'm too coo', foo'
Why won't they just make a spam section where the mods can put all the spam. Also this would be benefitial to the newbies, so htey would be less scared if they want to post new things knowing that it won't be erased or closed.

Mega Trickster

Blargagh blargh
game_mayhem said:
Why won't they just make a spam section where the mods can put all the spam. Also this would be benefitial to the newbies, so htey would be less scared if they want to post new things knowing that it won't be erased or closed.

No. That's a horrible idea its been suggested like 67947968 times. Because all they're going to do is stay there and spam which isn't good for the forum's reputation and community.