• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

D/P/Pt. vs. HG/SS

Which Game is Better?

• Diamond, Pearl and Platinum

Votes: 42 34.4%
  • Heart Gold and Soul Silver

Votes: 80 65.6%

• Total voters

((JAWS))

Johto Boy
Like the title has stated. I probably made a thread on this before.. But.... Lol. Anyways I came up with a list for pros and cons of each.

What Platinum has over HG/SS;
-Better Gym Leaders
-Better E4
-Cooler Champion (In my opinion)
-Cooler Place for Rematches (Resort I mean come on that beats a wooden dojo)
-Newer Pokemon, New/Innovative Gameplay (Distortion World)
-Epic Battles
-Team Galactic is much cooler IMO
-Legendaries are stronger
-Awesome Champion Battle Theme
-Cooler Graveyards

What HG/SS has over Platinum;
-Cooler Storyline, for example the ancient birds
-Pokemon Follow You! (Not just amity square, now we can be like ash without being as bad as him lol)
-More Gyms (More gameplay = more fun)
-Rematch 16 Gym Leaders (Replayability)
-Two Regions to Explore
-Nostalgia Anyone lol?
-Cooler Music
-Better Rival much more character development here
-Taking on Red! Allying with Lance!
-Cooler Minigames

D/P has already lost I put Platinum in its place. What do you guys think?

Emilia

Relapsing
I like HG/SS's small improvements, such as locking the running shoes, enough to put it over Pt - but it's a more recent release; it's to be expected.

blastaero

Locking running shoes, pokemon following you, ease of scrolling through items, start menu present on bottom in overworld (without having to press X), WAY easier to read text of attacks during battle = all minor but important improvements in HG/SS over platinum.

Now for me, it is no contest, HG/SS brings back so much nostalgia, as Silver and Red were the two games I played to no end back when they first came out. I have a hard time connecting with the 4th gen pokemon, and even the 3rd gen for that matter. Call me old school, but HG/SS is my game of choice.

Colt45

Cobalt
Eh, Diamond and Pearl for me, this is an unpopluar opinion, but HG/SS just felt... lacking

Dragonicwari

Artistically angry
I personally like SS the best, way to much nostalgia for me to pick a new game. If they remade silver every gen I would buy it every time, so I may be biased lol >.>

AuroriumX

The Interceptor
Heart Gold and Soul Silver for me. Mainly because of the nostagia factor but also because Johto is my favorite region so far.

Tf916

Parappa the Rapper
I had to pick D/P/PT, HG/SS felt a little lackster...

Bastile

I liked soul silver better because I felt as if there was more entertaining things to do post story then there was in Platinum.

DarkSword39

Heehouhouhouhou!
This is the hardest decision I have ever made. I really can't say.
If I really had to make a decision, I would pick HeartGold/SoulSilver won by 1 point.
I like it better by a little bit because the adventure kept on going.

I enjoy and love each game equally, choose Heart Gold/Soul Silver by 1 thing that isn't in Diamond/Pearl/Platinum. Pokemon following feature, I love interacting with my Pokemon, a lot, I don't even use the bike in my SoulSilver game.

VaironGod

Dunsparce>Arceus
HG/SS because:

-I love the whole walking with Pokemon thing.
-Original Gold/Silver nostalgia is nice.
-Some of my favorite Pokemon come from gen 1 and 2.
-HG/SS just feels faster than D/P/Pt despite having 16 gym badges.
-I love the game music much better.

I still like P/D/Pt just not as much as HG/SS.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Comparing my SoulSilver and Diamond versions, SoulSilver to me is the more superior one. While D/P/Pt has its own storyline and region and the first Pokémon game for the DS (and thus a more 3D-feel), HG/SS improved upon it by bringing back a nostalgic region while adding new features to it. Only complaint I can think of is I don't care for the Kimono Girls showing up in various places, though I liked how they actually did have a role in this game by summoning either Ho-oh or Lugia with a pretty cut-scene.

Also, Johto is my favorite region, and I really did miss exploring it once my Silver version's clock battery died. But I also liked the fact they gave it a feature from Yellow by having a Pokémon follow you around. And as someone who had Yellow as their first Pokémon game, it pretty much sold the game for me. To combine elements from two of my childhood games (albeit heavily on the G/S/C side than Yellow's) made me happy inside. It was also fun going through Crystal's story, as I didn't have Crystal, so to be able to experience that on my own was exciting.

((JAWS))

Johto Boy
Heart Gold easily won for me. The phone system and rematchomg 16 gym leaders is awesome. Not only that bit infinite running shoes, obtaining kanto and hoenn starters. Not only that but the feeling of taking a boat to johto from kanto and vice versa is awesome. 2 regions, more fun.

((JAWS))

Johto Boy
I had to pick D/P/PT, HG/SS felt a little lackster...

I'm sorry but how did HGSS lack at all? It had 2 regions, 16 gym leaders, a battle frontier, the ability to obtain Hoenn and Kanto Starters, and not to mention pokemon following you around. I mean sure you might not like it but to say it lacked? Wow lol

Icarus©

Full on PASBLer
Soulsilver is definitely better then platinum.
Soulsilver had so much things that i loved about it: the touch screen menu, the pokemon following you around, the characters, the pokemon, and the longer region.
It had better graphics as well.

Platinum was a good game, just not as good as ss

Kalosian

So long
Platinum is my favorite since it has the most features I like and it gave me the most enjoyment of the 4th gen games. I also like D/P a lot, but I don't really like HG/SS that much since I found them to be lacking in some important aspects compared to the other 4th gen games.

uberHexagon

Oshawatching you...
Platinum or Heartgold... That's a hard one. Heartgold has great storyline but platinum has better characters IMO. Although Red is pretty awesome.

bro

Cool story bro
HG/SS since there's just so much to do and I really like it when your Pokemon follow you around in the overworld... But Platinum comes second, since I really enjoyed that game too. It was such an improvement from DP and so much fun to play too. But there was just not enough stuff for me to do in it so I voted for HG/SS.

;080;