• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

D/P/Pt. vs. HG/SS

Which Game is Better?

• Diamond, Pearl and Platinum

Votes: 42 34.4%
  • Heart Gold and Soul Silver

Votes: 80 65.6%

• Total voters

ashiemore

I actually like Platinum better than HG/SS, but HG/SS better than Diamond/Pearl. I think Platinum has a lot of improvements over d/p and hg/ss but I like all of the gen 4 games a lot.

~ashiemore

Easy choice, Heart Gold and Soul Silver win out HANDS DOWN! Not because I don't like what it brought to the series, not because I don't like it's Pokemon (though I don't concider the new evolutions apart of the Sinnoh group. Sorry, but you need to rely on your own Pokemon to have a good roster, not rely on other gen's mistakes. Though I will admit Rosalia should of been introduced on Gen 4, it just fits in better than than in Gen 3) and not because I'm a Genwinner, but because SINNOH SUCKS!! The layout is crap, the snow sections are horrible (and I tend to like the snowy areas in Pokemon) the Pokemon and trainer placement are garbage, and the game play is way to freaking slow.

To be compleatly honest I hate D/P/Pt with a passion, so much so that I'd be perfectly fine with having never gotten the Jhoto remakes if the Sinnoh games never existed. Thats right, I hate the Sinnoh games so much that I'd rather have not gotten one of my favorite games ever if it meant having never gotten that piece of crap!

Rayze Darr

Snubbull Supporter
HG/SS are an easy win for me. D/P/Pt, while I still think are amazing games, are near the bottom of my list for main series Pokemon games, really only beating Yellow.

The below is all my opinion, keep in mind.

HG/SS:
- Better designed gyms
- More memorable characters (Gym Leaders, Silver, Lance...)
- Best final fight in the entire franchise (Red)
- Better selection of Pokemon (The only Gen IV mons I love are the new Evos, which don't come until post-game)
- Auto-pilot run
- Love being able to walk with my Pokemon
- Best variety of side activities in the franchise, including:
- Bug Catching Contest
- Voltorb Flip
- Pokeathalon

D/P/Pt:
- Best legendary encounters
- Coolest use of graphics (Platinum mainly)

Those are the areas that each set of games has that set them apart from other main-series Pokemon games. Again, though, all five games hold up to the amazing quality that we've come to expect from the franchise. For me, however, it's no contest that HG/SS are vastly superior.

nathandg0924

Back in the meantime
So close between the two but I have to say that HeartGold/SoulSilver were better because there was more to do for sure. I loved them all equally to be honest but Platinum has less to do and the Johto remakes were pretty exciting with all the additions and all.
- Nate the;448;

Estellise

peachy
I think DPPt was so much better than HGSS. I loved the gym leaders, E4, legendaries, most of the pokes, the story... pretty much everything about Sinnoh. But HGSS... ah, it had some nice features, but it doesn't compare to DPPt, imo.

Toxic Nightshade

GET TO DEL TACO
DPPt was better in my opinion. I loved the whole storyline in those games, Sinnoh region, all the Pokemon you can get... HG/SS Had a lot more features, but the story was played out. I do like the whole "walk with your Pokemon" aspect, but DPPt brings back so many good memories for me.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
HG/SS. Had more to the story and wasn't boring after you beat it. That's all though, really.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
Platinum for me. It's still my fave game ever since it came out. The story was good, I played it over and over again. Sinnoh became my favorite region after I finished Platinum, and it's the only game where I felt compelled to do all the extra stuff I didn't have to. I've explained my love for Platinum version in a bunch of threads but yeah it's not just my fave gen 4 game, but my fave Pokemon game to date. HGSS is good, but even with all it's improvements it doesn't even touch Platinum version to me.

Myrrh

A lot of what was in the list that put Platinum over HG/SS on the first post was really subjective, but if it was just your personal pro/con then it's no issue.

HG/SS didn't fix everything that was wrong with G/S, but it was really full of content which really gave the game a lot of fun to do. I've not played Platinum, but I'm assuming it's just D/P with the third version usual extras, significant enough to make it the definitive version but not enough to make it really stand out. HG/SS is better in my eyes.

Shadow_07

Huzzah.
I prefer DPPt more simply because it has the Vs. Seeker and the Pokeradar. I do like HGSS for the partner Pokemon and the storyline, but I found it a bit lacking in some aspects.

I voted for HG/SS. It's because it seemed like you could do more in the game (like go to Kanto and such), have your Pokemon follow you, and the games are also the remakes of the original G/S/C versions. I like D/P/Pt as well, but I really prefer HG/SS.

Aenglaan

Although I enjoyed Sinnoh throughout my Platinum playthrough much more than most people, it's hard to beat Heart Gold/Soul Silver. Gold and Silver were perhaps the most innovative and best Pokemon games ever. They improved the gameplay, introduced two new types, introduced breeding, created night and day, had an even larger world to explore, a sense of mystery with legendary Pokemon, and so much more. The remakes managed to even be better than the originals improving on literally every single element of the originals.

Platinum, however, was still a really fun game, though. Sinnoh, despite introducing a fair amount of uninteresting Pokemon, had lots of content and Pokemon to catch. Did I mention that it learned from the mistakes of Hoenn and didn't have so many water routes?

SpoinkyPearl

I like D/P/Pt more than HG/SS. Probably the biggest reason for this is the fact that I have never played the original 2nd Gen games so I didn't have the nostalgic experience while playing my SS. I do have played 3rd Gen's R/B remakes though so visiting Kanto was fun but Johto has never been that special to me. And in Platinum (my fav Pokémon game so far) there was so much everything to do compared to HG/SS. I've never liked Pokéathlon as much as Super Contests which bring a whole new aspect to Pokémon training as they did already in 3rd Gen.

One of the biggest things I didn't like at all in HG/SS was the lack of VS Seeker. GOD I HATE THAT PHONE CALL SYSTEM! It was even WORSE than in R/S/E! ARGH! And that makes quick, solid and fun training impossible. I don't EV train so I kinda need VS Seeker system. I haven't yet beat Red in my SS because I have to train my team and I had to transfer my team to Platinum so I can train them more effectively. There was many nice new things in HG/SS anyway, but I just like other 4th Gen games better.

Rezzuréct

Allez Les Bleus!
HG/SS got my vote. Well, the 'Pokemon Follow You' thingy is wonderful I think. And you could also lock your running shoes without keep pressing button. The huge storyline makes the game even better.

xYachu

Spicy Tuna!
I fancy SS more but I think it's too bad that it doesn't have a place to hold contest or anything alike that...

Blasting Toise

Platinum is the best because it has VS. seeker, pokeradar and contests. Hg/Ss has that pokemon following you- which is nice, but at times it feels like I would like to be alone for a while :p - I think it should be optionable whether or not to keep one of your pokes outside the ball. Too bad that was not so in Black and White or their sequels.

That phoning system for rematches in HgSs is just terrible compared to VS. seeker (and those daily gym leaders) and pokeradar is great way to find shinies with some effort. Contests are also much better than pokeathlons while those are nice extra to HgSs.