• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Dabbling With NU (NU RMT, obv)

Ninja Dewott

Ice Cold Fire
Dabbling With NU

Hello all.

It's me again, your favourite pokemon-playing Ninja, here, not to save the world as usual, but rather to share with you my latest team. Like many of my teams recently, it comes from the deepest, darkest depths of the lower tiers, this time sinking yet further into the murky marshes of low-usage. Yes, that's right, I've made the move to NU.

You may be wondering why I've quit my beloved RU, but I haven't really. The tier shifts, while not as bad as I thought, still make it less enjoyable, and I decided a change of pace was needed, hence my divine presence here.
As a wise man once said, "Why hide behind a wall, when you can hit your opponent in the face" and I have adopted this notion for another of my teams, as it it is very offesively based. However, coinciding with the wisdom of yet another intellectual homosapien who said "make sure your pokeymanz are not weak to one specific type" I have made sure there's a lot of synergy in my team.

As this is my first NU team EVAR, it's likely not to be that good, but I'm enjoying NU at the moment and I'd like to get better. This current team has peaked 267th (ish) on Smogon, which is not bad for a first attempt. That said, I'm sure you guys can help me raise that.

So, let us not dilly dally any longer, lest your brain shall become putrid mush at the sound of my rambling...

Team At A Glance

481.gif
|
368.gif
|
389.gif
|
467.gif
|
479-s.gif
|
409a.png

Team Building

Stage 1: Samurott, Magmortar, Torterra

I started with Samurott because, frankly, it's an evolution of Dewott and therefore epic. I also added Magmortar, as I have heard many great things about it from NU players. Seeing as I had a Fire and Water Type already, I decided to make a F/W/G core, and threw in Torterra

Stage 2: Mespirit, Samurott, Magmortar, Torterra, Swellow, Regice

Swellow and Mespirit are two other NUs that I'd heard good things about, so I stuck them in. To round off the team, I added SDefensive Regice, who had great synergy with Mespirit

Stage 3: Mespirit, Gorebyss, Magmortar, Torterra, Rotom-S, Regice

I'd wanted to use this team to learn NU, so 6-0ing teams with the pure epicness of Samurott before they had a chance to attack wasn't giving me much learning. I replaced it with Gorebyss. It was a logical replacement, considering its typing and reputation. So, with my counter to everything that's ever existed gone, I started by adding a counter to Gorebyss. Rotom-S is perfect, it OHKOs with Volt Switch/Thunderbolt and outspeeds conveiniently by 1 point, after Gorebyss has Shell Smashed. I replaced Swellow since they have similar typing, roles and, frankly, Swellow was no way near as good as I'd expected.

Stage 4: Mespirit, Gorebyss, Magmortar, Armaldo, Rotom-S, Regice

With 3 pokemon weak to SR, I figured I needed a spinner. So I added Armaldo, who seemed the best out of the NU Spinners, and I replaced Torterra, because it seemed to fit

Stage 5 (Current Stage): Mespirit, Gorebyss, Magmortar, Torterra, Rotom-S, Rampardos

I found that Armaldo was pretty poo, as are the other spinners in NU, that just rhymed, you realised that didn't you? Anyway, I was missing the awesomess that was Torterra, so I added it back in. As Regice was underperforming, and I lacked a decent check to swellow, I added Rampardos. And here we are!​

Team In Detail

(Changes in Bold)

http://i54.*******.com/35jealx.png
Unexpected! (Mesprit) @
leftovers.png

Trait: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Psychic
- Knock Off

Well, well, well. What a surprise. The world's favourite NU lead makes an appearance on this team as well. And rightly so, Mesprit has a great balance of offence and defence along with a great movepool, making it unpredicatable. This set is mainly a support set, but it hits hard too. Laying down rocks is Mesprit's main job, and it's more crucial in this tier than any tier (save for perhaps OU) thanks to the SR weakness of many of NU's Top Threats, such as Swellow and Magmortar. U-turn is for scouting and provides a pseudo-VoltTurn with Rotom-S, which is surprisingly effective at times. U-turn's also great for catching dark types on the switch. Psychic is main STAB and Mesprit's primary way of dealing damage, should the need arise. Finally, Knock Off is a very useful move for ridding the various eviolite users in the tier, such as Wartortle, of their precious item. The EVs are cunning. The 8 Spd EVs outspeed opposing Mesprits that have 4 Spd EVs to outspeed opposing Mesprits! I know, I'm a genius ;) I've then maxed out Defence, because it's good to max out something, and it allows me to not die against Absol.

~ ~ ~

gorebyss_thumb.jpg

Think Pink (Gorebyss) (F) @
whiteherb.png

Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Shell Smash
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]

N'awww, look at it. The cute, pink, sweet... BROKEN, SHELL SMASH SWEEPER OF DEATH. *Ahem* As I was saying, Gorebyss is a phenomenal pokemon, great typing, great boosting move, great coverage. And it's pink. Shell Smash, obviously, it what allows Gorebyss to sweep and the white herb protects it from those nasty stat drops. Surf is STAB and very powerful after the boost. Ice Beam is good coverage and HP Grass allows it to hit Quagsire, Seismitoad and other Gorebysses (Gorbyi?) hard. The EVs are pretty obvious, and Swift Swim makes Gorebyss a great check to those Rain Dance teams you see around. Gorebyss is part of my F/W/G core, which gives it plenty of opportunities to switch in and set up

~ ~ ~

magmortar_colour___gift___by_missmanga14.jpg

Hawt (Magmortar) (F) @
lifeorb.png

Trait: Vital Spirit
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Flamethrower
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Magmortar is probably the powerhouse of NU. It has great Special Attack and excellent coverage, allowing it to severly dent pretty much everything. This is a standard set, the Life Orb giving Maggy power and the freedom to choose between her epic coverage moves. Vital Spirit is worth a mention, allowing Magmortar to switch in on common sleep inducers such as Amoongus. As people often forget about Vital Spirit, it can often result in a free KO when people try in vain to put this fiery ball of destruction to rest. It is also part of my F/W/G core, again allowing it to come in often and wreak havoc.

~ ~ ~

170px-389Torterra.png

Treez 4 eva (Torterra) (F) @
choicescarf.png

Trait: Overgrow
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Wood Hammer
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- Stone Edge

Speaking of unexpected KOs, this chap here is practically a walkin', talkin' bag of unexpected KOs. With a Choice Scarf, Torterra's speed is boosteed to 348. Now, that's not going to be beating Usain Bolt anytime soon (unless he false-starts again o.0) but it's still enough to outspeed many things who presume they get the jump on Torterra. Many a sweeper has lost its life to Torterra, shattering to a gazillion tiny pieces with a surprised look on its face. Torterra makes a good scarfer thanks to great STABs and coverage. It has access to Wood Hammer, a hugely powerful move, even more so if it recoils itself into Overgrow range. It also has access to QuakeEdge, and has STAB on one of them. Superpower completes the moveset, hitting stuff like Miltank hard (although I am considering replacing for Crunch). As you've probably guessed, Torterra completes my core. Synergy For The Winergy!

~ ~ ~

Im-a-huge-fan.jpg

ImmaHugeFan (Rotom-S) @
choicescarf.png

Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
- Volt Switch
- Air Slash
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

Are you feeling a little flustered? Do you have lots of papers on your desk that you need clearing off immediately? Do you have an annoying pink fish rampaging throughout your team after breaking the exoskeleton of an invertebrate? If the answer to any of the above questions is yes, then Rotom-S is the pokemon for you. As I mentioned eariler, this pokemon conveinently oustpeeds Swellow and +2 Goreybss and delivers to them shocking retribution! Volt Switch is great for keeping momentum (especially when coupled with Mesprit's U-turn) and Thunderbolt is good if I want to stay in. Air Slash is an alternate STAB and Trick is for crippling walls. The 4 SDef EVs mean I can switch into SR once more than if those EVs were invested in HP

~ ~ ~

rampardos_2_by_taishi_umi-d2ygepe.png

RAARRGHHH! (Rampardos) (F) @
lifeorb.png

Trait: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 36 Def / 220 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Rock Polish
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Superpower

Rampardos made the team as an additional Swellow check and all-round terrifying sweeper. With a truly astonomically spine-tinglingly ninjarific Base 165 Speed Stat, he can pulverise most things, especially with a LO equipped. Rock Polish covers up Rampardos' main flaw: speed, and the 220 Speed EVs ensure it outspeeds... something, I forget what it was. With Mold Breaker, Rampardos is a fantastic user of QuakeEdge, grating the ability to hit levitators with the first and getting STAB on the second. Superpower is coverage, and even the Attack Drop doesn't bother Rampardos too much, however replacing with Fire Punch is an option. The 36 Def EVs are to minimise the damage taken from Swellow's attacks as much as possible, without sacrificing sweeping investment.

~ ~ ~

Final Comments

As I said, this is my first NU team and, bearing that in mind, it's done pretty well.

Also, thank you all for taking your time to read (and hopefully rate) this RMT. I know at times my humour is too awesome to bear and that I also use overly long descriptions and words in places, but I've tried to make this as excrabulating as possible to read. I think, with you benelocorific raters lending your elcombibulence, this team can gyromble up to the highest loftoshes of the ladder. I may upload a threat list later, for your delectability and to help in your elcombibulating. In the tempometic pause, however, I can charstitulate to you that Stealth Rocks, T-spikes (and hazards in general) are a real pain to this team. But as I said, NU spinners are rather defrabulating, or poo, if you like.

Anyway, Until Next Time,

May The Ninja Be With You.​

Ttar's stone edge

League Legend
I'm impressed Ninja, you've done it again :D Good team, but you may need a rapid spinner for Magmortar and Rotom S as you mentioned it was a problem? Other than that, looks good

Palkia98

I havent seen someone use torterra for a while, good choice! The set you have is good, if you choose to go for a more defensive inclined set, i use this:

Torterra@ leftovers
impish 252 df/252hp/4atk
~Earthquake
~Wood Hammer
~Leech Seed
~Stone Edge

Leftovers+leechseed recovers wood hammer recoil, wood hammer and eq for coverage and stone edge for ice types. just a suggestion, apart from that, great team!

Psycho Cut

Nice team, ND :)

As TTar's SE said, a spinner would be really useful here, as you have 2 pokemon weak to SR and none really appreciate T-spikes either. That said, if you do believe the NU Spinners to be 'poo' then whatever, you know more about the metagame than I do :)

Love the 'Rotom-S' pic, btw ;)

Usatoday

Eternal God
Nice team, ND :)

As TTar's SE said, a spinner would be really useful here, as you have 2 pokemon weak to SR and none really appreciate T-spikes either. That said, if you do believe the NU Spinners to be 'poo' then whatever, you know more about the metagame than I do :)

Love the 'Rotom-S' pic, btw ;)

That's true but he could try defog

Ninja Dewott

Ice Cold Fire
I'm impressed Ninja, you've done it again :D Good team
Thanks a lot for the praise :D

I havent seen someone use torterra for a while, good choice! The set you have is good, if you choose to go for a more defensive inclined set, i use this:

Torterra@ leftovers
impish 252 df/252hp/4atk
~Earthquake
~Wood Hammer
~Leech Seed
~Stone Edge

Leftovers+leechseed recovers wood hammer recoil, wood hammer and eq for coverage and stone edge for ice types. just a suggestion, apart from that, great team!
Nah, scarf works much, much better, imo

And yeah, hazards are a major annoyance. As far as spinners go, my choices range from Cyrogonal, Wartortle, Torkoal or even something radical like Eviolite Shellder -.-

Last edited:

Barbeller

Scatter Brained
On Gorebyss WH isn't great, seeing as it doesn't outspeed much before a boost. I find I often don't use it... Idk though how well Lefties fares.

Also, if they keep SR off the field, Sawk kills you hard.

Last edited:

Psycho Cut

That's true but he could try defog
You've suggested this on my teams before. Again, as fakestreet said, defog clears hazards on your opponent's side

Ninja Dewott

Ice Cold Fire
On Gorebyss WH isn't great, seeing as it doesn't outspeed much before a boost. I find I often don't use it... Idk though how well Lefties fares.

Also, if they keep SR off the field, Sawk kills you hard.
White Herb's a great item, it helps me stop being revenged and generally killed. Sawk isn't too much of a problem, I'd send out Rotom-W on the CC for insta-momentum, or, if it's non-scarved and is going to use Stone Edge, V-Switch out to Torterra and KO with Wood Hammer. Boom.

Testing out Cyrogonal.

Barbeller

Scatter Brained
White Herb's a great item, it helps me stop being revenged and generally killed. Sawk isn't too much of a problem, I'd send out Rotom-W on the CC for insta-momentum, or, if it's non-scarved and is going to use Stone Edge, V-Switch out to Torterra and KO with Wood Hammer. Boom.

Testing out Cyrogonal.

Yeah, I guess.

Also, js but 269 isn't very good...

Zekromaster826

Casual Shiny Hunter
I say HP Grass/Ice over Thunderbolt because if you have Volt Switch, Thunderbolt isn't that helpful, other than that, I see nothing wrong. Great Team!