• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Danny Ketchum’s Indigo League Challenge (PG)

charizardmaster125

Danny Ketchum’s Indigo League Challenge (PG)

Authors Note (AN): Hi everyone. Here is my second fan fic and I will once again be grateful for any help given as to where I can improve. Please tell me what you like about this and why. This fic consist of nine chapters, all of which are fully completed.

Some of you may remember this pop up on the forum last but I took it down to make a few changes that I felt would be easier to do on Microsoft Word (English UK Dictionary set up) than use the forum editing tools.

Main Characters
Name: Danny Joseph Ketchum
Hometown: Cerulean City
Starter Pokémon: Charmander (Given by Professor Garry Oak of Pallet Town)

Danny has black windswept hair like Ash, blue and green eyes like Misty and is wearing a blue jacket, white T-Shirt, brown Poke ball holder belt, bright blue jeans, white socks and white trainers.

Name: Rachael Evans
Hometown: Viridian City
Starter Pokémon: Squirtle (Given as a tenth birthday gift from her mum and dad)

Name: Joe Slatter
Hometown: Pewter City
Starter Pokémon: Bulbasaur (Given as a tenth birthday gift from his mum and dad)

Guest Characters
Name: Misty Ketchum
Maiden Name: Waterflower
Hometown: Cerulean City
Misty is wearing a cream coloured top with a dark blue belt and short jeans. She is also wearing pink sandals.

Name: Ash Ketchum
Hometown: Pallet Town (Moved to Cerulean City when he married Misty)
Starter Pokémon: Pikachu
Occupation: Teacher of Pokémon Battles (Age 14 to 15 Class) at the Cerulean Pokémon Academy. When he has time off, he assists Misty at the Gym.

Ash is wearing a bright blue T-Shirt, a black Poke ball holder belt, brown trousers, black socks and slip on shoes.

Name: Amy Elizabeth Ketchum
Occupation: Currently studying the basics of becoming a Pokemon Trainer at Ceruleans Pokemon Academy.

Bios: Amy is Danny’s younger sister and Katie’s twin sister. Amy has brown eyes like Ash and she dyed her once long and streaky orange hair blonde. Amy is kind and polite, she never forgets her manners. Once she gets her Pokemon Trainers License, Amy wants to study to become a Pokemon Doctor, but she is also interested in the Breeders element too.

She normally wears a white top, sea blue jeans and cream sandals. Amy also loves music; she plays an acoustic guitar and a saxophone. She studies allot about Pokemon and is considered the brains of the family. She loves to help her mother and father look after their Pokemon. Amy has also inherited her mother’s sweet sounding voice and the looks of her father.

Name: Katie Veronica Ketchum
Occupation: Currently studying the basics of becoming a Pokemon Trainer at Ceruleans Pokemon Academy.

Bios: Kaite is Amy’s twin sister though the two are not identical. She takes her mother’s looks with the long and streaky orange hair and emerald green eyes. Katie has a fun and bubbly personality. Like Amy, she is working hard to get her Pokemon Trainers License at the Academy and she is a lover of fashion.

She normally wares a short yellow shirt, short blue jeans and orange slip-on trainers. When she reaches age ten, she wants to travel around to become a Pokemon Coordinator.

Last edited:

charizardmaster125

Chapter 1: The Qualifier’s

It’s a fine sunny morning in Cerulean City and Ash, Misty, Pikachu, Amy and Katie are outside the front door of the gym awaiting the return of Danny. “I’m getting worried Ash, do you think he’s alright?” asked Misty “Don’t worry, I’m sure he’s just fine” said Ash. Suddenly, Pikachu’s ears twitched and it saw a familiar figure approaching. Pikachu’s face lit up with excitement and it said in a happy tone “Pika Pi”.

“Do you see Danny?” asked Ash. “Pikachu never lies to us Ash” said Misty. Pikachu’s instincts were right and Danny approached with two other people (his age) by his side, one boy and one girl. The boy had black eyes, fair coloured and spiky hair. He was wearing a white shirt, brown jacket, beige trousers and white trainers. The girl had long blonde hair and oak brown eyes. She was wearing an orange shirt, a cream coloured belt, pink short trousers and orange trainers.

After travelling through the Kanto region, Danny, along with his friends Joe and Rachael have returned back to Cerulean City before heading to the Indigo Plateau outside of Viridian City where Danny can compete in the Indigo League. “Hey everybody” said Danny “Hi Danny, you’re looking well” said Misty. “Hey Danny” greeted Katie. “How are you?” asked Amy. “Fine thanks” replied Danny

“Joe, Rachael, it’s nice to meet you” said Ash “Nice to meet you too Mr Ketchum” they both said together. “So you said you had a surprise for me and your father, so what is it?” asked Misty. “I’ll show you” said Danny, taking a Poke ball. Danny threw it and said “I choose you!” the Poke ball opened to reveal “Charmeleon” the red lizard Pokémon said as it came out.

“Danny, your Charmander evolved” said Ash. “That’s so cool” added Misty. “Thanks, me and Charmeleon will blitz the competition, right?” asked Danny turning his attention to Charmeleon. “Char” it answered. “Come on in, we’ll have a bite to eat and after a rest we’ll get going to the Indigo Plateau” said Ash.

In the dining room of the house next to the gym, Ash and Misty were getting to know Joe and Rachael a little bit better. “So Rachael, you want to be a Pokémon Coordinator?” asked Misty. “Yeah” said Rachael. “That’s what I want to do when I’m older. I saw the Grand Festival on TV, you were so close, I thought you were going to win” said Katie. “Yeah, I never had such a gruelling battle before, but Beedrill and Wartortle did very well” replied Rachael.

“And Joe, that’s really interesting that you want to be a breeder. I’ve always been interested in that kind of stuff.” said Amy.

Joe replied “Yeah, you see I’m following in my mum and dad’s footsteps, you see there both professional breeders and they have their own day care centre too. They thought that if I wanted to be a breeder then they suggested that I go out on a journey so I can learn better, and they were totally right, I’ve really learned allot on this journey”.

After having lunch and letting it settle, Ash, Misty, Danny, Amy, Katie, Rachael and Joe got ready to go to the Indigo Plateau. Misty opened the boot of the large four red door seven seated car, “Put your bags in here kids” she said. As the kids put their rucksacks in the boot, Ash came over with two big brown suitcases which felt a little bit heavy. “Misty, are you sure we need this much stuff?” strained Ash. “Of course I’m sure” insisted Misty.

“Excuse me mum but what’s with the suitcases?” asked Danny. “Me and your mother thought that it might be nice to come and watch you in your first Pokémon league contest, if that’s alright?” asked Ash. “Yeah, that’s great, the more the merrier” said Danny. “Okay, the cars ready, so jump in and belt up” said Misty. “I can’t wait to see the battles” said Amy excitedly.

Danny opened the back door on the right hand side of the car and let Rachael in first. “Ladies first Rachael” he said. “Thanks Danny, that’s really nice of you” she said. Misty was quick to notice and as Ash put the boot down, Misty tapped him on the shoulder and whispered to him “Ash look, isn’t that sweet?” “Yeah” Ash replied.

Everyone jumped in the car and they belted up. Misty and Ash then jumped in the car, Ash in the driving seat and Misty in the front passenger seat. “Are you all belted up kids?” asked Misty while belting herself up and looking at the passenger mirror. “Yep” they all said.

Ash closed the door, belted up, put his foot on the brake pedal, pressed the “Engine Start” button and once the car started, he took his foot off the breaks, pressed the D button on the dash board, released the hand break, gently pressed the accelerator and drove slowly out of the driveway and onto the main road.

After a one hour and fifteen minute car journey, the gang finally arrived at the Indigo Plateau. Ash parked the car in the multi-storey car park, shut down the car and unlocked the doors from the passenger doors from the inside. “Alright guys, you can get out now” he said. The kids, Ash and Misty unbelted, opened the doors and got out.

As Misty opened the boot and the kids got their rucksacks, Ash closed the doors on the car. He then walked other, gave the car keys to Misty, took the cases out, closed the boot and as Pikachu jumped onto Misty’s shoulder, she pressed a button on the car keys and activated the deadlocks and the alarm.

The group then made their way to the large combination Pokémon Centre and Hotel. Danny filled in his final details before he could enter into the league. Nurse Joy then gave the keys to the rooms where the group would be staying throughout the competition.

After leaving their stuff in their rooms, the gang went to the screening courts where Danny would have to battle at least three trainers to qualify for the semi finals.

A voice bombed over the loud speaker “Will Danny Joseph Ketchum from Cerulean City please report to the A Court” “That’s us guys, let’s do go” said Danny. Danny entered the court along with Joe and Rachael; Ash, Amy, Katie and Misty stood outside watching from the high level cages that surrounded the battle field.

The referee said “The third screening battle of the A Court is now in session. The battle between Danny from Cerulean City and John from Vermilion City will now begin. You are only allowed one Pokémon and the battle is over when one of either trainer Pokémon is unable to battle. We will firstly use Coin toss to decide the first move.”

“Head’s” said Danny. “Tails” said John. The computer generated on screen coin with half a Poke ball on one side and a Magikarp on the other side flipped and revealed heads. “Danny will precede first and then followed by John, begin the battle now!” commanded the referee. “My first battle of the Indigo League” said Danny to himself.

Danny picked a Poke ball from his belt, threw it up and called “Charmeleon, GO!” The poke ball opened to reveal Charmeleon who looked ready to fight. “I’m going to use my most trusted Pokémon” said John. John took a Poke ball threw it and yelled “Fearow, GO!” The poke ball opened to reveal Fearow, the beak Pokémon. Fearow squawked.

“Don’t let your guard down Danny, Fearow is the evolved form of Spearow and one tough opponent” called Joe. “Don’t worry, who ever we battle will get all our power, now Charmeleon, use Flamethrower now!” commanded Danny. “Char” it said as it breathed out a long line of flames. “Fearow, use Agility now!” called John.

Just before the Flamethrower hit, Fearow shot up into the air like a bullet which made Charmeleon’s attack missed. “It’s too fast!” exclaimed Danny. “Fearow, Furry Attack!” commanded John. Fearow dived down and vigorously jabbed its long beak at Charmeleon. “Charmeleon, try and grab it by the beak!” commanded Danny.

Charmeleon grabbed Fearow by its beak. Fearow was stunned and could not move. “No way!” shouted John. “Flamethrower!” commanded Danny. Charmeleon opened its mouth and again breathed out a string of red hot flames. Fearow squawked out loudly in pain. Charmeleon let go of Fearow and it flew back to a point of safety.

“Mirror Move!” called John. Fearow opened its beak and a Flamethrower attack shot out of its beak. “Dodge it!” called Danny. Charmeleon jumped out of the way. “What’s Mirror Move Joe?” asked Rachael. “Mirror Move is an attack that copy’s the last attack made by Fearow’s opponents. I’ve also heard that Pidgeot can learn this move too” explained Joe.

“Charmeleon, use Dragon Rage!” called Danny. Charmeleon spitted out a long line of blue and yellowish coloured flames which hit Fearow and pushed it back. “Danny’s getting his momentum back” said Rachael. “Also, Dragon Rage is a move which always causes a fixed amount of damage to its opponents, regardless of type” added Joe.

Ash, Amy, Katie and Misty were watching from behind the court. “Danny’s getting control over this match now” said Ash. “Yeah, if he keeps this up, he might just win” added Misty. “Come on Danny” cheered Amy. “You can do it” added Katie.

“Now Charmeleon, use your tail to jump and finish it with Slash!” called Danny. Charmeleon smacked its fiery tail on the ground and jumped up into the air. It then swiped Fearow with its sharp claws. Fearow squawked in pain again and it crash landed, hitting the ground hard.

Charmeleon landed on its feet as the ref took a closer inspection at Fearow. Fearow was knocked out cold. “Fearow is unable to battle, Charmeleon wins, and the victor is Danny Ketchum!” the ref called. “Alright” Rachael and Joe rejoiced together. Charmeleon let out a victory cry “Charrrr!” it yelled, raising its arms and looking up at the sky.

“Well done Charmeleon” said Danny. He and Charmeleon then went over to John who had just dew back Fearow into its Poke ball. “How’s Fearow?” asked Danny. “Just fine and I’d like to thank you for a great battle” said John, the two trainers shook hands and wished each other good luck.

Danny then passed through the next two screening matches with ease using Pikachu to fight against a feisty Pidgeotto and Machoke to get rid of a rock solid Graveller.

charizardmaster125

Chapter 2: The Opening Ceremony

Having won all of his three screening matches, Danny along with his friends and family made their way back to the big screen at the Pokémon Centre, to see if he had qualified into the semi finals. Photos of all the trainers who had qualified were rolling up on screen. Danny was looking intently at the screen. Suddenly he noticed his face show up “Yes!” he said. “Congrats Danny” said Rachael “Thanks Rachael” said Danny.

Ash placed a hand on Danny’s shoulder and said “Me, your mother and your sisters are very proud of you.” “Thanks Dad” Danny replied. Suddenly a voice bombed over the loud speaker. “Will all the trainers who qualified into the semi finals today, please report to the Indigo Stadium at 19:30 pm tonight, to attend the opening of the Indigo League Competition.”

“What happens at the opening ceremony dad?” asked Danny “They start the competition by igniting the sacred flame of Moltres” explained Ash “You mean Moltres the legendary flame bird of Kanto?” asked Joe. “Yep” Ash replied. Danny got out his Pokedex and looked up Moltres in his Pokedex. Dexter was activated and said “Moltres, a one of a kind flame Pokémon. This Pokémon is so powerful; its fire dust can light up the night sky and bring early spring to wintery land.”

“Wow, what a cool Pokémon” said Danny. After a nap in the hotel, Danny and Charmeleon made their way to the stadium and stood in the queue of trainers who would be participating in the league. Suddenly a fat man with a white shirt, black trousers, black tie, and blue hair came up holding this box with a Pokémon’s foot print. He was accompanied with a thin lady with long red hair and who was wearing the same cloths.

“Excuse me young man” asked the lady. Danny looked at them and asked “Yeah?” The man then asked Danny “The Pokémon foot print panel have you applied for it?” “No” replied Danny. “We’ll today is your lucky day because you may have been disqualified” said lady. Danny looked worried. The man said “Don’t worry son, all of the paperwork you need is through here.” “Hey thanks, come on Charmeleon” said Danny as he rushed off.

Meanwhile all the trainers had entered the stadium. Ash, Misty, Pikachu, Amy, Katie Joe and Rachael were sitting in the stadium but were looking worried because they couldn’t see Danny. “Ash, do you see Danny?” asked Misty. “No” replied Ash. “I hope that nothing’s wrong” said Amy worriedly. At that moment Ash got up from his seat and walked away. Misty was quick to notice and asked him “Where are you going?” “To find Danny” replied Ash. “Please be careful Ash” called Misty.

Meanwhile, a roped tied Danny was pushed back and he fell to the floor in a storage room. “Ugh! Hey, what is the big idea?” he asked. The man and women he met took off their suits to reveal Team Rocket uniforms in which the clothing was entirely Black with large a red R on the front of the shirt. The fat man became thin as a Meowth slipped out from underneath. The man was holding Charmeleon in a big case it size with a glass window.

“Alright, who are you and what do you want with my Charmeleon?” asked Danny. “My name is Jessie and prepare for trouble” she said. “My name’s James and make it double” he added. “And My name is Meowth and we are Team Rocket running off again” said Meowth as they ran away with Charmeleon. To make sure Danny could not get out; Jessie put a plank of wood in the handles of the double doors. “Get back here! Charmeleon!” cried out Danny.

At that moment Ash was just about to pass the place where Danny was trapped until he heard his cry for “Help!” Ash took the plank of wood out and opened the door. He was shocked to see Danny tied up and on the floor. “Danny who did this to you?” he asked. “Team Rocket and they have Charmeleon” replied Danny. “Not for long!” said an angry Ash.

Ash untied his son, picked him up and they started to give chase. Eventually, they caught up with Team Rocket and Ash yelled “Team Rocket, get back here and give my son’s Charmeleon back right now!” Jessie looked behind her and then yelled at Meowth “You didn’t tell me that boy was the son of the twerp!” “I didn’t know!” Meowth whined back in panic. Suddenly, the torch runner was coming the other way and then the inevitable happened.

“BANG”

Team Rocket crashed into the runner and both Charmeleon and the torch went flying. Ash ran for the torch and grabbed it with ease. Danny ran and dived to catch Charmeleon. As he caught and opened the box, Charmeleon jumped out and quickly blocked Team Rocket. “Okay if you want a fight, you’ve got one” said Jessie, grabbing a Poke ball.

“Charmeleon, use you’re Flamethrower!” commanded Danny. But instead of attacking, a bright white light engulfed Charmeleon and it started to get taller and slightly fatter, its fiery tail got longer, the single horn on its head became two small ones and finally it grew wings. Charmeleon had evolved into Charizard.

Everyone who had witnessed the evolution, including Ash, Danny and the injured torch runner were all amazed. Danny got his Pokedex out. Dexter recited “Charizard: the flame Pokémon and the evolved form of Charmeleon. Charizard’s powerful flames can melt absolutely anything. It flies about the skies in search of tough opponents and because of its proud nature; it will never torch a weaker foe unless ordered by its trainer.”

“Oh yeah, that overgrown Charmander doesn’t scare me” said Jessie and as she was about to throw her Poke ball, Danny ordered “Charizard, Flamethrower!” Charizard roared as it opened its mouth and breathed out a string of red hot flames. A large explosion followed as the attack hit Team Rocket and the troublesome trio was sent flying into the sky. “We’re blasting off again!” the three whined.

Danny looked up at Charizard and said “Charizard, thank you.” Charizard growled back in an affectionate tone. The two then went over to Ash who was tending to the injured male torch runner. “Is he okay?” asked Danny. “It looks like you’ve sprained your ankle mate” Ash said to the runner. “Don’t worry about me” said the runner. “You’ve got to rest” insisted Ash. The runner tried to get up but he couldn’t.

“So what happens now?” asked Danny. Ash thought to himself for a second and said “I have an idea.” Meanwhile, at the stadium everyone was waiting anxiously for the torch runner. The commentator said “Ladies and gentlemen, I am currently unaware where the torch runner is.” Everyone groaned. “So now what happens?” Joe asked.

“They can’t start without the flame” said Misty. Suddenly, Pikachu sensed something and excitingly pointed to the stadium entrance tunnel. “Pika Pi” it said. “Pikachu?” asked Misty. “Danny” Rachael said. With the torch in his hand Danny and Charizard came jogging out of the tunnel. “How did he get the torch?” Misty asked herself.

The announcer then said “Breaking news people, I am aware that an unfortunate accident has left our runner unable to continue, Danny Joseph Ketchum, one of our competitors, has kindly offered to take over.” The audience applauded Danny as he ran up the steps to the bowl where the flame would be lit.

Rachael noticed Charizard by Danny’s side and asked “Who’s that Pokémon?” “It’s Charizard” replied Joe. “Looks as if Charmeleon evolved” added Misty. “Awesome” said Katie in awe. “Now Danny has Charizard like dad” added Amy. Danny lit the bowl and headed back down the steps. The Pokémon League Committee head, Mr Goodshow Junior, took the stage and stood up in front of a microphone.

He was a tall man with a short white bearded, short grey spiky hair, black eyes, wore black glasses and was also wearing a black blazer, white shirt with a red bow tie, black trousers, socks and shoes. “Participants, I welcome you to the Indigo League. Make sure you battle well, have a good time and I wish you all the best of luck” he said. Everyone clapped and cheered. Danny and his newly evolved Charizard looked at each other and smiled, while Ash who was supporting the runner looked on.

charizardmaster125

Chapter 3: The Prelims– Part 1

With the Opening Ceremonies behind him, Danny now prepares for the first round of the Prelims. Sitting on a bench outside the Pokémon Centre, Joe and Danny were looking up the semi final rules in the guide book. Joe read out “The prelims will be conducted as a round robin three on three tournament. You will fight two other trainers, making three in total. A win is three points, a draw is one point and a loss is zero points. Depending on your other opponent’s scores, you must at least win or draw to get into the Victory tournament.”

“Right” said Danny. “It might be a good idea to find out who your opponent is now, and then we can get data on him or her so we can pick out your team” said Joe. Suddenly a boy who was slightly taller than Danny came up to him. He had short and spiky brown hair, blue eyes and a slightly tanned skin colour. He was wearing an orange T Shirt, brown trousers and blue trainers.

“Excuse me, are you Daniel Ketchum?” he asked. “Yeah” Danny replied. “I knew I was right, by the way, my name is Ed, and I’m your opponent today” the boy said. Danny said “Nice to meet you and just call me Danny.” “Right, I was wandering if you would like to have a quick one on one match so we could learn about each other” said Ed. “No problem, I accept” said Danny.

Ed got out a Poke ball and threw it. “Go, Kingler” he commanded. The Poke ball opened to reveal the crab like Pokémon. “A Kingler, that’s cool, my dad has one of those” said Danny. Ed said “I’ve known Kingler since it was a Krabby and it was given to me as a 10th Birthday present from my mother and father.”

“Right, with Kingler being a Water type, I’ll use an Electric type” Danny thought to himself. Danny took a Poke ball and threw it. “Pikachu, let’s go bro!” commanded Danny. The Poke ball opened to reveal the Electric Mouse Pokémon. “Pika” it squeaked. “Pikachu was the very first Pokémon that I ever caught, right back in Viridian Forest and incidentally, Pikachu was my dad’s starter when he was my age” explained Danny.

“Cool” said Ed. Danny turned his attention to Joe and asked him “Could you officiate for us Joe?” “Sure” replied Joe. “Ed, you call the first move” said Danny. “Thanks. Use Water Gun now” commanded Ed. Kingler shot out a jet of water from its mouth. “Dodge with Agility” ordered Danny. Pikachu shot up into the air making Kingler’s attack miss.

“Now, use Quick Attack!” ordered Danny. As Pikachu landed it dashed towards Kingler at speed and tackled it. Kingler was pushed back, causing dust to be swept up. “Kingler, run towards it and use Crabhammer” said Ed. Kingler’s right pincer lit up and it quickly scuttled sideways towards Pikachu. “Pikachu, when it gets close use Thundershock” Danny said calmly.

Once Kingler was in arms length of Pikachu, it started to slam its large and heavy pincer but Danny quickly said “Go Pikachu.” Pikachu’s red cheeks sparked and then it lit up with electricity and short a thin electrical current which it Kingler and lightly electrocuted it. As Kingler got stunned the Crabhammer stopped.

Joe decided to raise both arms to stop the battle. “That’s it, Danny and Pikachu win” said Joe. “Thanks Kingler, return and take a rest” said Ed as he drew his Pokémon back to his Poke ball. Danny did the same saying “Great job Pikachu, thanks.” “Thanks Danny, I’ve gotta go now, so I’ll catch up with you at the A stadium at 3pm this afternoon, bye” said Ed. “Bye” Danny replied.

Ed ran off.”Let’s log on to the computer and see what Pokémon he’s got, then we will register your Pokémon” suggested Joe. Danny nodded. Once Danny and Joe had got back in, they switched on the computer and looked up Ed and the screen came up with pictures and info on the Pokémon he had. “The strongest Pokémon Ed has is defiantly Kingler” said Joe.

“So I’ll counter Water with Electric and use Pikachu” said Danny.

“But he’ll probably figure that out too, so he’ll use his Ground type Dugtrio” added Joe.

“So I’ll use Parasect” said Danny.

“Though he may counter with either his Fire type Vulpix or his Flying type Dodrio” said Joe.

“So I’ll use Cloyster and then that covers me both ways with it being part Water and part Ice type” said Danny.

“So are you happy with your choices?” asked Joe. “Yep” replied Danny. Joe then used the computer to help Danny register his Pokémon. When he had just finished, Rachael came in with her hair let down as if it had been just washed. She was just wearing a red dressing gown and pink slippers. “Have you picked out your Pokémon?” she asked. Danny turned round to Rachael and said “Yeah, why have you got your dressing gown on?”

“Well I thought with you two being out this morning, I’d take a shower, don’t worry, I will change before the match. Speaking of which, what time is your battle?” asked Rachael. “It’s at 3pm this afternoon at Stadium A” replied Danny.

3 pm came and Stadium A was full to capacity. Danny’s family were sat in the front row of seats while Joe and Rachael were sat on the bench behind Danny who, like Ed, were standing up in their positions on the battle field.

The referee said “The battle between Danny from Cerulean City and Ed from Celadon City will now begin. You are only allowed three Pokémon each and the battle is over when all of either trainer’s Pokémon is unable to battle. We will firstly use Coin toss to decide the first move.”

“Head’s” said Ed. “Tails” said Danny. The computer generated on screen coin with half a Poke ball on one side and a Magikarp on the other side flipped and revealed heads. “Ed will proceed first and then followed by Danny, begin the battle now!” commanded the referee.

Ed threw a Poke ball and said “I choose Dugtrio.” The Poke ball opened to reveal the three headed mole Pokémon. Danny threw his Poke ball and said “Parasect, go!” The Poke ball opened to reveal the mushroom like Pokémon. “Dugtrio, use Earthquake!” commanded Ed. Dugtrio’s three heads moved down quickly and caused a huge tremor.

The ground was shaking and the ground beneath Parasect’s feet cracked causing it to fall, but Parasect was completely oblivious to the attack and received little damage. “I was sure that Danny would use Cloyster to get Dugtrio as he planned, so why is he using Parasect?” asked Rachael. “Don’t forget, as well as being a Grass type, Parasect is also part Bug type as well and both types are strong against ground types like Dugtrio respectively” said Joe. “Oh now I see” said Rachael.

“Now Parascet, use you’re Mega Drain” commanded Danny. Parasect scuttled up towards Dugtrio, placed both pincers on it and started to suck Dugtrio’s energy. “Trio!” it cried out in pain. “Dugtrio, stay strong” said Ed. Parasect finished its attack and as it let go of Dugtrio, the mole Pokémon fainted.

“Dugtrio can’t battle, Parasect wins” called the referee. “Thanks Dugtrio” said Ed as he recalled his fallen Pokémon back into its ball. “That battle was quick” said Katie. “Danny made a smart choice with Parasect, having a grass and a bug type is particularly useful” said Ash. Ed grabbed another Poke ball and as he threw it he said “Okay Danny, see how you handle this one.”

The Poke ball opened to reveal Dodrio, the three headed bird Pokémon. “Dodrio, Drill Peck now” commanded Ed. Dodrio ran towards Parasect and its three heads furiously jabbed it’s beaks like a drill into to the mushroom on Parasect’s back. “Parasect!” it cried out in pain. “No!” cried Danny. Rachael gasped.

“Okay Dodrio, finish up” commanded Ed. Dodrio slowly stopped attacking and as soon as it had stopped completely, Parasect had fainted. “Parasect can’t battle, Dodrio wins” declared the referee. Dodrio’s three heads squawked together. “Good job Dodrio” called Ed. Danny withdrew Parasect saying “Nice try Parasect, awesome.”

“How come Parasect was taken out with just one move?” asked Rachael. “As well as Drill Peck being a powerful move, as I’ve said before, Parasect has the abilities of both Grass and Bug types so although it’s really strong against ground types, the amount of damage it receives from any Flying or Fire type attack is quadrupled” explained Joe.

Danny thought to himself “Dodrio’s fast. My last two Pokémon both have the advantage by type but one lacks in defence so by powers of deduction...” Danny took a poke ball and threw it proclaiming “Cloyster, I choose you!” The Poke ball opened to reveal the Bivlave Pokémon. “Cloyster” it said. “Danny made a smart choice, being both a Water and Ice type, it has an advantage over Dodrio” said Misty.

“Also, Cloyster’s hard shell helps protect it from physical attacks like Drill Peck, let’s see what Ed dose” said Ash. “I’ve gotta start taking this all down” said Amy while writing notes in her note book. “Dodrio Drill Peck” commanded Ed. “Cloyster Withdraw” said Danny. Cloyster closed up its shell as Dodrio ran toward it. Dodrio started to attack and dealt the same amount of punishment to Cloyster as it did to Parasect.

“Danny really knows his stuff” said Rachael. “Yeah, he really has this match under control” added Joe. Try as it could, Dodrio could hardly scratch Cloyster and it started to tire out. Eventually, Dodrio had decided it had enough and gave up on attacking. Ed gasped. “Time to switch from defence to offence, Cloyster, use Ice Beam!” commanded Danny.

Colyster opened up it shell and launched an ice cold blue beam from its mouth. The beam hit and shocked surprised Dodrio. Dodrio squawked in pain. Cloyster finished its attack and Dodrio collapsed in front of it. The referee took a good look at Dodrio and declared “Dodrio can’t battle, Cloyster wins.” “Aright” Rachael rejoiced.

“You’re doing just fine Danny” called Misty. “Just keep that momentum going” called Ash. “Nice job Cloyster” said Danny. Cloyster looked back and grinned. Ed recalled Dodrio and said “You lost that one but still a great effort Dodrio.” Ed selected his final Poke ball and threw it saying “Kingler, I’m counting on you.” The Poke ball opened and Kingler was revealed and ready to fight.

Danny took a good look at Cloyster and thought to himself “Cloyster looks okay to me. I could use Cloyster’s defences to tire Kingler out.” “Kingler, Crabhammer!” commanded Ed. Kingler’s right pincer lit up and it quickly scuttled sideways towards Cloyster. “Cloyster, Withdraw” commanded Danny. Cloyster closed it shell up as Kingler slammed its heavy pincer on top of Cloyster.

As with Drill Peck, Cloyster hardly felt the attack and while using Crabhammer at such force, it hurt Kingler’s pincer more than it hurt Cloyster. At this point, Kingler stopped using Crabhammer, because it wasn’t inflicting much damage. “Cloyster, open up and use Ice Beam” commanded Danny. Cloyster opened up its shell and prepared to attack.

Ed smiled. Rachael noticed this and asked herself “What’s he smiling for?” “The time has come Kingler, use your Hyper Beam!” commanded Ed. “What?” spluttered Danny. Joe, Rachael, Ash, Amy, Katie and Misty gasped. Kingler opened up its left pincer and fired a powerful yellow and brown beam. At the same time, Cloyster unleashed its Ice Beam. Both attacks collided which resulted in an explosion.

The battle felid was covered in black smoke which eventually cleared at its own accord. Once the smoke cleared, both Kingler and Cloyster had taken damage. The referee took a good look at both Pokémon. Kingler was still standing up where as Cloyster had fainted. “Cloyster can’t battle, Kingler wins” declared the referee.

Danny recalled Cloyster and said “Thanks Cloyster, you did your best, now for my final Pokémon.” Danny selected his final Poke ball and threw it. “Go!” called Danny. The Poke ball opened to reveal Pikachu. “So Danny’s using Pikachu” said Ash. “Danny should have no problems now” said Misty. Ash’s Pikachu cheered on. “Pikachu, use Thunderbolt now” ordered Danny.

Pikachu’s red cheeks sparked and then it lit up with electricity and shot a big electrical current which hit Kingler and shocked it. “Kingler!” shouted Ed in a worried tone. “Pikachu, Quick Attack!” commanded Danny. Pikachu dashed towards Kingler at blinding speed and tackled it hard. Kingler was pushed back. “Kingler, Hyper Beam!” ordered Ed.

Kingler fired another Hyper Beam from its left pincer. “Pikachu, use your tail to jump” called Danny. Pikachu rolled back and used its tail to jump and escape the Hyper Beam at the last second. Kingler was looking tired. “Kingler stay strong, please” said Ed. “Pikachu, finish it with Thunderbolt!” commanded Danny.

Pikachu lit up with electricity and yelled “Pikachuuuuu!” as it fired it’s thunderbolt from mid air and straight down to Kingler. Kingler cried out in immense pain. Pikachu stooped its attack after landing back on its feet. Kingler’s leg’s wobbled and eventually it gave up and collapsed. “Kingler is not able to battle, Pikachu wins and the victor is Danny Ketchum from Cerulean City” declared the referee.

Pikachu ran up to Danny and the two of them hugged each other. “Pikachu, thank you” said Danny softly. Ed withdrew Kingler back into its Poke ball saying “Thanks Kingler, you deserve a rest and don’t worry, we still have another chance.” Ed then went over to Danny and said “Danny thanks for a great battle; I wish you luck for the future.” “Thanks Ed” replied Danny and the two shook hands.

charizardmaster125

Chapter 3: The Prelims – Part 2

After winning against Ed in Round One of the prelims, Danny prepares for Round 2. Danny, Joe and Rachael were in their room watching Danny’s next opponent fight Ed on the TV. After the battle was over, the programmes male narrator said “And so with Ed winning this match, Lucy from Saffron City will face Daniel Ketchum who himself had beaten Ed the other day. If Danny’s match today ends in a victory or a draw, he will move onto the final tournament. As you’ve seen here, Lucy mainly specializes in Grass types.”

Danny said “Hah, Charizard and I will have a felid day; Charizard has the abilities of both a Fire and a Flying type. I’ll just knock them out one by one.” “Don’t go overboard, Lucy will probably have a strategy to handle your Charizard” said Rachael. “Hey, we can handle any Pokémon you throw at us” said Danny in a confident tone.

Danny then was just about to leave the room when Rachael asked “Where are you going?” Danny answered “I’m going to meet up with dad, he’d said to me last night that he would help me warm up for my matches.” “I’ll come with you” said Rachael. “Me too” added Joe. Joe turned off the television and along with Rachael; they went off with Danny to find Ash.

Danny’s family were standing at one of the battle fields at the back of the Pokémon Centre. Danny, Rachael and Joe turned up. “Hey kids” said Ash. “Hi dad” said Danny. “So who’s your opponent today?” asked Ash. “Her name is Lucy and she is an expert with grass types” replied Danny.

Ash took a Poke ball from his belt and threw it. The Poke ball opened up and revealed Bulbasaur, the seed Pokémon. “Bulbasaur” it said. “Hey Bulbasaur, long time no see” said Danny as he knelt down to stroke its head. “You train against Bulbasaur and I think you’ll be ready to beat your opponent today” said Ash.

“Thanks dad” said Danny as he stood back up. Danny then took Charizard’s Poke ball and opened it by pressing the button in the centre of the ball. Charizard came out and let out a roar. “Hey Charizard, how about we warm up for our battle this afternoon against Bulbasaur” said Danny. Charizard growled back in an acknowledging tone.

Suddenly a girl who was about Danny’s age showed up with a Vileplume. She had long brown hair, a cream coloured shirt, maroon skirt, and brown tights and also pink shoes. “Are you by any chance Danny Ketchum?” she asked. “Yeah that’s me” replied Danny. “I’m Lucy and I’m also your opponent” she said.

Danny said “Nice to meet you”. Lucy then turned her attention to Ash’s Bulbasaur and quickly ran over to it asking Danny “Hey is this you’re Bulbasaur Danny?” “No it belongs to my dad” he replied. Lucy then turned her attention to Ash and asked him “Wow, really?” “Yep, I’ve known Bulbasaur since I was ten years old” Ash replied.

“I just love Grass types” said Lucy. Lucy then sniffed and asked “Do I smell burning?” “That? It’s probably the flame on my Charizard’s tail” said Danny. Lucy then turned round and faced Charizard. “I just hate Fire types, the damage they can do to Grass types. It’s just terrible” she said. This angered Charizard and it started to growl fiercely at her.

“Hey, Charizard was my very first Pokémon. How dare you insult my Charizard” snapped Danny. “Danny, just cool it will you?” pleaded Rachael. Lucy noticed this and asked Rachael “Are you his little sister?” “No” replied Rachael. “Oh I know you’re his girlfriend right?” teased Lucy.

“No, I, err, we are just friends” said a blushing Rachael in an embarrassed tone. “Somebody’s getting embarrassed about her true feelings” whispered Amy. “And somebody’s getting jealous about those two being friends” Katie whispered back. Rachael and Lucy were about to get at each other when Joe and Danny stepped in to break them up.

“Okay girl’s that’s enough, let’s just settle down” said a very stern sounding Joe. “We’ll settle this on the battlefield” said Danny. Lucy said in a high tone “Oh, do you want a battle? Then you’ve got one.” And then she cackled to herself as she walked away. “Humph. She’s got some nerve!” snapped Rachael.

“Danny, Rachael, I wouldn’t let her get you” said Ash. “She’s probably teasing you just to let your emotions get the better of you on the field” said Misty. “Well I’m going to show her that I made the right choice when I picked Charmander to come with me on my journey” said Danny. Charizard let out a short breath of smoke in agreement with Danny.

Later, Danny, Rachael and Joe went back on the computer to look up the data on Lucy and register the Pokémon that Danny would use for the match. “See that, practically all of Lucy’s Pokémon are Grass types” said Joe. “Well, at least the guy on the TV wasn’t lying” added Danny. Rachael then butted in saying “Fine, you’ll use all Fire type, then you can show her what a great trainer you are!”

“Yeah, but the only Fire and I suppose you could also say the only Flying type that I have is Charizard Rachael” said Danny. “Perfect, then as you said before, you and Charizard will have a field day” said Rachael. “Don’t forget, your Parasect has the traits of a Bug type as well as being a Grass type, so that’s two Pokémon down and one more to pick” said Joe.

Suddenly as Joe was scrolling down the list of Pokémon, Rachael noticed one that might wreck his strategy and as she pointed at the screen she said “Hey Danny, look at this one.” And Danny and Joe looked at the screen with an amazed look on their face. Within minutes and a few clicks of a mouse, Danny’s Pokémon were registered and ready to fight.

And now we move forward to the full to capacity Stadium A where Danny and Lucy would be fighting. As with before, Ash, Amy, Katie and Misty had the front seats in the row of spectators and Rachael and Joe were sitting on the coach’s bench behind Danny. The referee said “The battle between Danny from Cerulean City and Lucy from Saffron City will now begin. You are only allowed three Pokémon each and the battle is over when all of either trainer’s Pokémon is unable to battle. We will firstly use Coin toss to decide the first move.”

“Head’s” said Danny. “Tails” said Lucy. The computer generated on screen coin with half a Poke ball on one side and a Magikarp on the other side flipped and revealed tails. “Lucy will proceed first and then followed by Danny, begin the battle now!” commanded the referee. Lucy took a Poke ball and threw it saying “Victreebell, come on out my darling.”

The ball opened and revealed the Flycatcher Pokémon who screeched like a girl as it came out. “I’d knew that you would start with a grass type and that’s just fine with me” said Danny taking a Poke ball. As he threw it he said “Go, Charizard!” The ball opened and Charizard roared as it came out ready to fight. Lucy called the first move “Razor Leaf now.”

Victreebell moved about from side to side vigorously as it shot out some razor sharp leaves. “Charizard, Flamethrower” commanded Danny. Charizard roared as it spitted out a long line of fire and completely burnt the Razor Leaf, thus Victreebell’s attack failed. “What a pathetic choice for a move” Danny muttered to himself.

“I’ll show you Danny Ketchum, Victreebell, use Poison Powder” commanded Lucy. Victreebell blew out a purple powder at Charizard. “Charizard, blow that attack back away with Gust” ordered Danny. Charizard quickly flapped its two wings which not only stopped the poison powder, but it created a strong wind gust that knocked Victreebell back and caused it some damage.
“Man that Charizard is strong!” snapped Lucy. She then had a brain wave and decided to call Victreebell back to its Poke ball. “Victreebell return” she called. Lucy then swapped Poke balls and revealed her next choice. “I choose you” she called.

The Poke ball opened to reveal Dewgong, the Sea Lion Pokémon. “Dewgong” it said as it came out onto the field. “Charizard return” Danny said as he recalled Charizard and picked another Poke ball. “Go!” Danny yelled as he threw another Pokémon. The ball opened to reveal Pikachu. “Pikachu” it said. “Pikachu” Lucy said in a worried tone of voice.

“You made a smart call Rachael” said Joe. Rachael “Yeah, when I saw Dewgong, I’d new that Lucy would use it against any Fire type.” “On paper, Danny has the advantage in this round” said Amy. “Yeah, but Dewgong also has the abilities of an Ice type as well as being a Water type. Dewgong’s ice moves may totally freeze Pikachu since it lacks in defence” explained Misty. “That’s true but I think Danny understands that by now, let’s see what he does” said Ash.

“Pikachu Thunderbolt!” commanded Danny. Pikachu’s red cheeks sparked and then it lit up with electricity and shot a big electrical current which hit Dewgong and shocked it. “Dewgong!” it roared in pain. “No Dewgong” Lucy cried out. Dewgong just managed to shake the attack off but it was clear that it took a lot of damage.

“Dewgong, Ice Beam” commanded Lucy. Dewgong opened its mouth and fired and icy cold beam which hit Pikachu. “Pika!” it cried in pain. “Pikachu, are you alright?” asked a worried looking Danny. Pikachu got back up but like Dewgong, it looked tired. Danny thought to himself “Pikachu’s looking tired; also Dewgong’s running out of steam to. This next attack will decide the match.”

“Pikachu, use Thunderbolt one more time!” commanded Danny. Pikachu lit up with electricity and once more fired a Thunderbolt attack directly at Dewgong. Dewgong took the hit and got shocked for a second time. “DEWGONG!” it roared in pain. The attack stopped and Dewgong collapsed and fainted.

“Dewgong is unable to battle, Pikachu wins” declared the referee. “Nice work Pikachu” said Danny but at that moment a very looking tired Pikachu collapsed and fainted. “Pikachu is unable to battle, therefore this round is now a draw” said the referee. Both Pokémon were recalled back to their Poke balls.

“Good work Pikachu” said Danny. “Thank you Dewgong” said Lucy. “Wow, a tie” said Rachael. “Lucy sure knows her stuff. Dewgong must have taken Pikachu by surprise” added Joe. Lucy took a Poke ball, threw it and said “Vileplume, you’re up sweetie.” The ball opened and revealed the Flower Pokémon. Danny selected another Poke ball and threw it. The Poke ball opened up to reveal Parasect.

“Danny will need to be careful here. Vileplume is not only a Grass type but part Poison type as well” said Ash. “Parasect, use Fury Cutter” commanded Danny. Parasect’s pincer’s lit up in a white light and it ran towards Vileplume. “Vileplume, Solarbeam” commanded Lucy. As Vileplume started to draw in sunlight to its petals, Parasect came and furiously hit Vileplume with its pincers.

Vileplume took beating after beating and it eventually stored up enough energy needed for Solarbeam. “Okay Vileplume, fire!” commanded Lucy. From close range, Vlieplume lowered its head and fired a yellow beam of light from the top of its head. The powerful Solarbeam hit Parasect and sent it into the back wall of the stadium.

Danny turned round and asked “Are you okay?” But before Parasect could respond, it fainted. “Parasect is unable to battle, Vileplume wins” declared the referee. “Man that was fast!” exclaimed Katie. “But I thought that Grass moves weren’t very affective on a Pokemon with not only the same type but also Bug traits” said Amy. “That’s true but moves like Solarbeam can be effective at close range” explained Ash.

Danny recalled Parasect and said “Thanks a lot for your great effort Parasect.” Danny took Charizard’s Poke ball and said looking at it “Okay Charizard, it’s just you and me know. I’m counting on you.” Danny then threw the Poke ball and it opened up to reveal Charizard.

Charizard roared. “Charizard, Flamethrower!” ordered Danny. Charizard roared as it spitted out a long line of fire which hit Vileplume and completely incinerated it with ease. “VILEPLUME!” it cried out in pain. Charizard stopped attacking and a toasted Vileplume collapsed onto its back and fainted. “Vileplume is unable to battle” declared the referee.

Lucy recalled Vileplume saying “Vileplume, don’t worry about it. Charizard was just too tough.” Lucy clipped the Vilepulme’s Poke ball back onto her belt and selected Victreebell’s Poke ball thinking to herself “I completely underestimated Danny’s ability’s as a trainer. I hate to admit it now but, his Charizard is very well trained. I may well end up being knocked out, but optimism is the name of the game here, so now’s the time to turn this around.”

Lucy threw her Poke ball into the air saying “Victreebell it’s all up to you know!” The Poke ball opened releasing the Flycatcher Pokémon. Victreebell screeched as it came out. “Charizard, use Flamethrower and wrap this match up once and for all!” commanded a confident sounding Danny. Charizard roared and unleashed another vicious looking Flamethrower attack.

“Victreebell, use Vine Whip to jump and dodge it” commanded Lucy. Victreebell slapped the vine attached to its back onto the ground to help it jump into the air. As Victreebell was launched itself, it missed the Flamethrower by inches. Lucy smirked at Danny and said to Victreebell to “Use Poison Powder.”

“Charizard, take another aim at Victreebell and use Flamethrower once more!” commanded Danny. Still while performing its Flamethrower, Charizard moved its head up and aimed its Flamethrower at Victreebell. At this point, Victreebell knew it was over and it felt unable to release the Poison Powder that Lucy had previously asked it to do.

Within a second, the Flamethrower hit Victreebell and completely incinerated it. Victreebell screeched in pain. Lucy herself knew that she would lose and felt immobilized at this point. “Charizard, finish up!” commanded Danny. Charizard stopped its attack and Victreebell fell back down to the ground.

Victreebell was toasted and unable to battle. “Victreebell is unable to battle, Charizard wins and the winner of the battle is Danny Ketchum” declared the referee. “Nice job Charizard” praised Danny. Charizard roared back affectionately. Lucy walked over to pick up Victreebell. “Victreebell, you were superb, thank you so much” said Lucy. Victreebell groaned and Lucy recalled it back to the Poke ball.

Lucy then walked over to Danny and said “Danny thanks for a good match and I’m sorry for the things I said before, you’ve proved to me that you’re a great trainer.” “Hey that’s alright. By battling it out so hard, I bet Charizard has ended up respecting you, is that right?” asked Danny as he faced his Charizard. Charizard nodded. The two trainers then shook hands as the audience clapped and cheered. Even after being teased by Lucy before, Rachael clapped and cheered too.

Later on the two girls had made up with each other and Danny was now looking forward to the final tournament.

charizardmaster125

Chapter 4: Danny V Gareth - Part 1

After winning at the prelims, Danny is eagerly anticipating his first battle in the victory tournament. We find Danny, his friends and his family watching the big screen at the Pokémon Centre to see who Danny will face in the first round of the victory tournament. On screen were pictures the 15 other trainers that Danny would have to fight and the screen contained the first victory round match ups.

Ash spotted Danny’s face on screen next to a face of a boy who had cream colour skin, red eyes, short and flat red hair and blue eyes. “There’s your opponent Danny” said Ash pointing his finger at the monitor. Danny looked at where his father was pointing to and said “Great, now that I know who I’m up against, I’ll pick my Pokémon, plan a strategy and go for the win!”

“Erm, not today Danny” said Joe. Danny turned his attention to Joe and asked “Why not today?” “The Guide Book says that today is a rest day” explained Joe. “So I guess we can just take it easy then” said Danny placing his hands behind his head and leaning it back. “You know Danny; you could use today to work out a battle plan” said Rachael. “Oh yeah, guess I forgot about that” said Danny in a embarrassed tone.

Suddenly the face of Ash’s next opponent showed up. He was about Danny’s age and height. He was wearing a plain white shirt, dark blue shorts, white socks and pale blue sneakers. “Hi, are you Danny Ketchum?” he asked. Danny said “Yeah” “My name is Gareth, nice to meet you.”

Rachael, Joe, Danny’s family introduced themselves:

“Hi Gareth, I’m Rachael”

“Hello, I’m Joe”

“Hi Gareth, I’m Danny’s father, Ash”
“I’m Danny’s younger sister Amy, nice to meet you”
“I’m also Danny’s younger sister and Amy’s twin sister, Hi there”
“And I’m Danny’s mother, Misty”

“Hi everyone, nice to meet you all” said Gareth. “So where do you come from?” asked Danny. “I come from Lavender Town” replied Gareth. “That’s great and I come from Cerulean City” said Danny. “Oh, Cerulean City, and If I remember I had a Gym Battle with your mother for a Cascade Badge, once again thanks for a great battle Misty” said Gareth. “No problem” said Misty.

Later that afternoon, Joe, Rachael and Danny were looking up data on Gareth. Joe had a concerned look on his face and said “Hmm, according to this, Gareth has loads of different Pokémon, he doesn’t favour one type.” “Not only that there all fully evolved and in top shape so he must have been doing a lot of rotation” added Danny.

Rachael “Well the thing I would do is go through the types of Pokémon you have already and then predict which Pokémon he may use to beat you.” “Let’s see, firstly I have Pikachu which is an Electric type” said Danny. “So he will probably use his Ground type Marowak” said Joe. “Then suppose I switch to Cloyster, a Water and Ice type plus it has a high defence against physical attacks” said Danny. “Then a choice for him would be his Electric type Electrode” said Joe.

“Then I use Rhydon which is Rock and Ground” said Danny. “He’ll use his Water type Blastoise” added Joe. Danny said “So I counter with Parasect and he counters with...” “Pidgeot” added Joe. “Then that will be Pikachu’s turn” said Rachael. “Yeah, so that leaves Charizard and Machoke” said Danny. “Well for Machoke he would probably use his Gengar which is a Ghost type, so your Fighting type moves won’t have an effect” said Joe. “Don’t worry about that, Machoke and I have our own way to handle Ghost types” said Danny.

“And as for your Charizard, he’ll probably use his Onix” said Jo. “Well I have Metal Claw for that so Charizard should have no problem with Onix” said Danny.

We now fast forward to the big day and the big stadium where Danny and Gareth are fighting in is packed. The stadium is the main Pokémon League Stadium where the sacred flame of Moltres was lit in its golden bowl. As usual, Danny’s family were sitting in the front seats and Rachael and Joe were sitting on the coach’s bench behind Danny.

The announcer said “Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls, our second match in the victory round today is puts Gareth from Lavender Town against Daniel from Cerulean City, let’s see which battle field they will be fighting on.”

On Screen there was a circle set out like a pie chart. It had four symbols. The first being a rain drop, which symbolised the water field. The second being a snow flake, which symbolized the ice field. The third being a rock, which symbolized the rock field and last but not least, a section of grass that symbolized the grass field. A red light was constantly flickering between these symbols. This eventual stopped and a red light was showing on the rock.

“And it’s a rock field” proclaimed the announcer. The plain battle field slid open and the rock field was elevated into place. The field itself was full of rocks and boulders in a pale brown. Some rocks were big and strong while others were small and week. Coin Toss was then used to decide the order of play. Danny called Heads and Gareth Tails. A coin was flipped by the ref and Heads had been selected.

Danny took a Poke ball and threw it. The Poke ball opened to reveal Rhydon the Drill Pokémon. Rhydon roared “Rhy!” as it came out. Gareth took a Poke ball and as he threw it he yelled “Gengar, go!” The Poke ball opened to reveal the Shadow Pokémon. “Gengar” it said. Danny thought “Okay, where fighting a Ghost and Poison type so we will surprise them with a Ground type move.”

“Rhydon, use your Earthquake now” commanded Danny. Rhydon stamped its right foot on the ground which sent an earth tremor towards Gengar. “Gengar, jump and use you’re Levitate” ordered Gareth. Gengar jumped clear of the Earthquake attack and started to float about in the air. Danny grunted.

Rachael asked Joe “Is Levitate a move?” “No, Levitate is Gengar’s special ability and helps it dodge any Ground type moves which it’s weak against” explained Joe. “Gengar, Night Shade now!” ordered Gareth. Gengar shot two black rays from its eyes which hit and shocked Rhydon. Rhydon roared in pain. “Rhydon!” shouted Danny in a worried tone.

Misty gasped and said “That Night Shade looked pretty powerful.” Ash said “The strength of Night Shade depends on the level of the Pokémon. Gengar’s level must be pretty high to cause that much damage. Danny recalled Rhydon and switched Poke balls. “Go!” yelled Danny as he threw his next Poke ball. The Poke ball opened to reveal Danny’s Machoke, the Superpower Pokémon. “Machoke!” it proclaimed.

“Machoke, let’s show them our secret weapon, Foresight!” ordered Danny. Machoke focused its eyes on Gengar and a red beam was launched and hit Gengar. Gengar seemed totally oblivious but Gareth looked concerned. Rachael asked Joe “What’s Foresight?” “Foresight is a great move that allows Danny to hit Gengar with Fighting and Normal type attacks” explained Joe.

“Machoke, use Karate Chop!” Machoke ran towards Gengar, jumped up and swung its right hand sideways and into Gengar. Gengar was pushed back and cried “Geng!” in pain. “No” said Gareth. “Gengar sure felt that, now wrap this up with Seismic Toss” ordered Danny. Machoke ran back up towards Gengar, grabbed it by both arms, jumped up high and descended while spinning a full 360 head over heels.

As soon as both Pokémon hit the ground, there was a large bang and dust was swept out across the felid. Once the dust cleared, Machoke was standing up but Gengar wasn’t. “Gengar is unable to battle” declared the referee. “Good job Machoke” called Danny. Machoke pumped its biceps. Gareth recalled Gengar and said “Thanks Gengar, you earned a good rest.”

Gareth then took another Poke ball and threw it saying “Next up I choose, Electrode.” The Poke ball opened to reveal the Ball Pokémon. “Electrode” it said in an electronic tone of voice. Danny got out his Pokedex and Dexter recited “Electrode: The Ball Pokémon and the evolved form of Voltorb. Highly concentrated electric energy causes this Pokémon to explode unpredictably. Electrode lives up to its nickname as the ‘Bomb Ball’.”

“Since Machoke is a fighting type, Electrodes electric attacks will paralyse it more easily because Machoke’s build is more similar to that of a human” said Ash. “I hope that Danny knows what he’s doing here. Electrode’s Selfdesturct and Explosion attacks are pretty powerful” added Amy. Danny recalled Machoke saying “Thanks Machoke, rest up.”

Danny picked up Rhydon’s Poke ball and sent it out for another go. As Rhydon was revealed Danny thought to himself “We can’t lose this one, Gareth should know that Electrode is weak against Rhydon.” “Rhydon, use your Earthquake now” commanded Danny. Rhydon used its Earthquake in the same way as it did with Gengar. “Electrode, Protect!” commanded Gareth.

Just before the Earthquake hit, Electrode erected a Protective orb and the Earthquake failed to create any damage. “Use Earthquake again” ordered Danny. Rhydon unleashed another Earthquake. “Electrode, Light Screen!” commanded Gareth. Electrode erected a yellow transparent cube and although Earthquake hit Electrode this time, it seemed oblivious to the damage it received.

Ash said “With Light Screen in play, Earthquake won’t be as effective because Light Screen limits the damage of Special Attack’s.” Misty thought “I wander what Danny will do next?” “Rhydon, use Dig” commanded Danny. “Electrode use Gyro Ball” called Gareth. Electrode was covered by a grey light and it started rolling towards Rhydon. “Hurry Rhydon” commanded Danny.

Rhydon quickly burrowed its way underground and Electrode just missed Rhydon by inches. “That was close; Gyro Ball is a steel type move which Rhydon is weak against and Gyro Ball’s power depends on how heavy the Pokémon using it is” said Joe. “Gareth is really smart with the attacks he chooses” added Rachael.

“Rhydon, go for it!” ordered Danny. Rhydon popped out from underground exactly underneath Electrode. As Rhydon burst out of the ground, Electrode was sent flying and hit the ground hard as it fell back down. Despite this Electrode stayed strong and got back up ready to fight. As Rhydon got back up to level ground, spark’s afflicted its body and Rhydon flinched slightly.

Danny asked himself “How did Rhydon get paralysed?” “Danny its Electrode’s Static ability: When Rhydon made physical contact using Dig, Electrode transferred its static electricity to Rhydon which caused it to get afflicted by paralysis” said Joe. “Rhydon are you okay?” asked Danny. Rhydon said “Rhy” to acknowledge him.

“Electrode, Explosion” commanded Gareth. “Electrode” it said. “Rhydon brace yourself” said Danny. Electrode started to store up energy and it was covered in a strong white light. Once Electrode gathered enough energy, it exploded with a bang! Explosion not only caused a giant shock wave that hit Rhydon but the field was covered in smoke.

The smoke cleared and both Pokémon were down and out. “Both Pokémon are unable to fight, this round is a draw!” proclaimed the referee. Both Pokémon were recalled and both Danny and Gareth praised them for their hard work. Danny and Gareth’s third choices were then released. On Gareth’s side, it’s Pidgeot and on Danny’s side it’s Cloyster.

“Pidgeot, dive down and use Wing Attack” commanded Gareth. “Cloyster, Bubblebeam!” ordered Danny. Pidgeot’s wing’s emitted a pale white light and it quickly dived down towards Coyster who was blowing a straight line of bubbles towards Pidgeot. As Pidgeot hit the Bubblebeam there was a large bang which sent it back. Pidgeot squawked in pain.

“Good job Clyoster, now use Ice Beam” commanded Danny. Cloyster emitted an ice cold pale blue beam and directed it towards Pidgeot. “Pidgeot, dive back in and use Steel Wing” commanded Gareth but before Pidgeot could respond and acknowledge him, Ice Beam struck and shocked Pidgeot.

After being hit by Ice Beam, Pidgeot fell back down to the ground and fainted. “Pidgeot is unable to battle” declared the referee. “Well done Cloyster” said Danny. “Cloyster” it said back happily and Danny recalled it. “Hey Pidgeot, don’t worry about it buddy, you deserve a rest” said Gareth. Pidgeot squawked weakly as Gareth recalled it.

charizardmaster125

Chapter 5: Danny V Gareth - Part 2

After a five minute break, Danny and Gareth were back up and ready to fight. “Go Marowak” commanded Gareth as he threw his Poke ball. “Go Parasect!” called Danny. Both Pokémon came out of their balls and were ready to fight. “Parasect, Stun Spore” commanded Danny. “Marowak Bonemerang” commanded Gareth.

As Parasect emitted a yellow powder in Marowak’s direction, Marowak threw its bone like a boomerang which hit Parasect then the bone swung back around and hit it again. By the time Marowak had got its bone back, Stun Sore engulfed it and within a second Marowak couldn’t move. “Oh no, it’s paralyzed” said Gareth. “Good now go for it with Giga Drain” commanded Danny.

Parasect’s mushroom emitted a green light which released a beam that hit Marowak and Parasect started to drain a lot of energy up. Marowak was getting weaker every second. Parasect eventually stopped and Marowak fainted. “Marowak is unable to battle” declared the referee. “Good job Marowak, return and rest up” said Gareth as he recalled it.

“Thanks a lot Parasect” said Danny. Gareth selected his next choice and threw the Poke ball. The ball opened up in mid air and revealed Onix, the Rock Snake Pokémon. “Parasect, use Giga Drain again” commanded Danny. Parasect unleashed another Giga Drain but Gareth ordered “Onix, use Dig to dodge!” The giant Rock Snake dived into the battle field head first and burrowed underground.

“Be careful Parasect because Onix can pop out anywhere” said Danny. “Onix, now!” commanded Gareth. Suddenly the ground cracked underneath Parasect’s feet and Onix popped up, hitting Parasect and sending it skywards. Parasect hit the ground hard and fainted. “Parasect is unable to battle” declared the referee.

Danny recalled Parasect and said “Thank you Parasect, take a good rest.” Danny selected Colyster’s Poke ball and brought it out for another go. “Onix use Dragonbreath” commanded Gareth. “Fight back with Ice Beam!” ordered Danny. Onix spitted out a long line of green flames while Cloyster launched its icy pale blue coloured beam.

Ice Beam broke through the Dragonbreath shocked Onix and froze it solid. Onix was now frozen solid and couldn’t move. “Onix, Iron Tail!” shouted Gareth. But there was no answer. The referee was about to announce Onix unfit to fight when suddenly its tail emitted a strong white light and the ice cracked open. Eventually Onix punched its way out with Iron Tail and then swung its heavy tail at Cloyster. Cloyster was hit and cried “CLOYSTER” in pain. Cloyster had fainted.

“Cloyster is unable to battle” said the referee. Danny recalled Cloyster and praised it. Danny then selected his next Pokémon and threw the Poke ball. “I choose you Charizard!” The Poke ball opened and revealed Danny’s ace in the hole. Charizard roared. “Onix, Dragonbreath” commanded Gareth. “Push it back with Flamethrower!” ordered Danny.

As Onix launched its Dragonbreath, Charizard quickly countered with Flamethrower. The Flamethrower broke through Dragonbreath and singed Onix with it. Onix looked badly burned and then a flame afflicted its body and it groaned in pain. “Perfect” said Danny. “Oh no, it’s burn effect!” exclaimed Gareth.

“Charizard, get in there and finish this up with Metal Claw!” ordered Danny. Charizard flew over to an immobilized Onix. Its right hand claws emitted a strong white light and eventually Charizard swiped at Onix and caused it further pain. Onix roared in pain again. “Onix hang in there” said Gareth, but Onix had had enough and ended up collapsing and fainting.

The referee declared Onix unfit to fight and Gareth recalled and praised it for his efforts. Gareth thought “That Charizard looks tough but I know I can beat it.” Gareth took his final Poke ball and threw it. “I choose Blastoise, GO!” The Poke ball opened and Blastoise, the Shelfish Pokémon was revealed.

“Blastoise” it proclaimed. Danny got out his Pokedex and Dexter recited “Blastoise, the Shelfish Pokémon. Blastoise is the evolved form of Wartortle and uses the two water cannons on its back to fire out very powerful jets of water that can punch through thick steel.” “Charizard, Flamethrower” commanded Danny.

“Blastoise, use Water Gun!” ordered Gareth. As Charizard unleashed its Flamethrower, Blastoise squirted a jet of water from its mouth. Both attacks collided and the fire evaporated the water and turned it into steam. “Charizard, fly and use Dragon Rage” commanded Danny. Charizard flapped its wings and flew up into the sky. Once it gained some height, Charizard opened its mouth and unleashed a blue and yellow coloured flame.

“Blastoise, Hydro Pump!” ordered Gareth. Blastoise used the water cannons on its back to fire out two powerful jets of water which doused the Dragon Rage and hit Charizard. Charizard roared in pain as it fell back down to earth on its back. Danny felt unable to give any commands at this point. As Charizard hit the ground, there was a bang and dust swept out everywhere.

Once the dust cleared Charizard was still lying on its back. “Charizard, are you okay?” asked Danny. Charizard rolled over to its belly and struggled to get back on its feet. Danny encouraged it saying “Don’t give up, you can do it Charizard. I know you can.” Charizard groaned as it tried to get back up.

“You can do it Charizard!” called Rachael. “We’re all behind you!” added Joe. “Come on, get up” said Misty. “Come on Charizard!” called Ash. “Charizard, Charizard, Charizard” chanted Amy and Katie. With Danny, his friends, his family and half the audience in the stadium cheering it on, Charizard managed to get back up on its own two feet. Charizard roared at Blastoise.

Gareth said to himself “Man, I have to admit that Danny has raised his Charizard well.” “Charizard, Flamethrower one more time” said Danny. Charizard unleashed Flamethrower and gained a direct hit on Blastoise. “Blast!” it groaned in pain. Even though Blastoise had the type advantage, Flamethrower still caused some damage.

Both Pokémon looked tired but refused to give in until Charizard collapsed and fell on its front. “Charizard!” called Danny in a worried voice. Charizard wouldn’t get up, it had fainted. “Charizard is unable to battle” declared the referee. Danny drew Charizard back into its ball saying “Charizard, return. Thank you Charizard, you did your job. You wore it down like I needed you to do.”

Danny took Machoke’s Poke ball and said to it “I know you’re tired from fighting Gengar, but now I really need you. Machoke, GO!” Danny threw the ball and it opened out to reveal Machoke. “Machoke, Seismic Toss!” ordered Danny. Machoke ran up to Blastoise and grabbed it. “Quick, use Bite now!” ordered Gareth.

Blastoise opened its mouth wide and took a bite into Machoke’s left arm. Machoke clenched its teeth and tried to fight the pain off but it gave in and let go and then cried “Maaaaaa!” in pain. “Machoke, are you alright?” asked Danny. “Blastoise, Water Gun!” ordered Gareth. Danny gasped. Blastoise squirted its Water Gun into Machoke from close range. The jet of water pushed Machoke back into huge rock which broke as Machoke crashed into it and eventually it hit the ground. Machoke fainted.

“Machoke cannot battle” declared the referee. Danny recalled Machoke and praised it. Danny took another Poke ball and threw it shouting “Pikachu, Go!” The electric mouse squeaked “Pikachu” as it came out. Gareth clenched his teeth. “I was going to save you for last, but Blastoise is tired enough, so I’m counting on you to finish it Pikachu” said Danny.

“Pi” it acknowledged. “Pikachu, use Thunderbolt!” ordered Danny. Pikachu sparked up with electricity and fired a powerful thunder bolt. Blastoise got a big shock but it managed to hang in and to shake off the electricity that was shocking it. Danny and Pikachu gasped. Gareth giggled and said “Use Tackle.”

Blastoise ran towards Pikachu. “Use Agility to jump and dodge it!” commanded Danny. Pikachu quickly jumped up into the air causing Blastoise to trip and fall. “Blastoise no!” called Gareth. “Use Thunderbolt and finish it up!” called Danny. Still in mid air, Pikachu launched its Thunderbolt and aimed it down at Blastoise. Blastoise yelled in pain as it got another big shock.

As Pikachu landed on its two feet, it finished its attack. “Blastoise, get up buddy” said Gareth. Blastoise tried to get up but it gave up and collapsed. “Blastoise is unable to battle, Pikachu wins and the winner is Danny from Cerulean City” declared the referee. The crowd cheered and Pikachu ran up and jumped into Danny’s arms.

“Thank you Pikachu, awesome job buddy” said Danny. “Pikachu” it squealed happily. Gareth recalled Blastoise and said “Blastoise, you put up a fine battle today, I’m very proud of you.” Gareth then walked over to Danny and said “Danny thanks for a great battle and I’ll be rooting for you in the next round.”

“Thanks Gareth” said Danny and the two trainers shook hands. Later that night at the Pokémon Centre, Danny was seeing to his Pokémon that Nurse Joy was looking after. “Nurse Joy, are all my Pokémon alright?” asked Danny. “There all rested up and are in tip top shape and they will be ready for your battle tomorrow afternoon” she replied. “Thanks” Danny said.

charizardmaster125

Chapter 7: Danny v Ruby – Part 1

The atmosphere in the Pokémon Stadium is tense. Danny stands smiling as he faces his next opponent, Ruby. Ruby is a girl who was taller than Danny and about a couple of years older. She had long and lush pale green hair, dark blue eyes and a pale cream skin colour. She was wearing a red short shirt, a Poke ball belt that was attached to her long dark blue jeans and in between her shirt and belt; there was a gap that showed her belly button. Ruby was also wearing white socks and laced up trainers to match.

The announcer said “Ladies and gentlemen, the battle between Danny from Cerulean City and Ruby from Violet City is about to begin and today they will fight on a grass field. The Coin Toss has chosen Danny to go first with Ruby following last.” Danny took a Poke ball, threw it and yelled “Pikachu, I choose you!” The ball opened and Pikachu came out ready for battle.

“Furret, Go!” commanded Ruby as she threw her Poke ball. The ball opened and Furret, the Long Body Pokémon came out. Furret was a Pokémon “Whoa, look at that” said Amy in awe. Danny had never seen Furret before so he opened up his Pokedex and Dexter recited “Furret, the Long Body Pokémon. Furret evolves from Sentret. This Normal type Pokémon can put its offspring to sleep by curling up around them. Please be aware that Furret is very fast and uses its speed to corner foes.”

“I’ve never seen a Furret before” said Rachael. “I have back at my parents’ Day Care Centre, apparently they come from the Johto Region” said Joe. Ash and Misty looked on. Ash said “I’m afraid Danny will find this battle tough, he doesn’t know any much about those Pokémon from Johto where Ruby’s from.” “I know he’ll be just fine” said a confident Misty.

“Let the match begin” declared the referee. “Pikachu, use Thunderbolt” commanded Danny. “Furret, use Quick Attack and dodge it now!” ordered Ruby. Pikachu shot its Thunderbolt at Furret which at the last moment dodged the attack and dashed towards Pikachu with lightning speed. Furret dashed straight into Pikachu which sent it back across the grass.

As Furret retreated sparks of static electricity afflicted its body. “Oh no not now” whined Ruby. “Pikachu’s Static Ability kicked in” said Rachael. “When Static activates it gives the opposing Pokémon paralysis. Paralysis is a status problem which cuts speed down by half and at times it can stop the opponent from attacking” said Joe.
“Just because Furret is slow doesn’t mean you’ll win, Furret use Iron Tail!” ordered Ruby. The end of Furret’s tail lit up in a white light, it dashed toward Pikachu. “Pikachu, use Agility to jump and dodge now!” commanded Danny. Pikachu quickly got back up and then shot in the air with Furret missing Pikachu by seconds and the only thing that Furret hit was the grass as the impact of Iron Tail kicked some dust.

“Pikachu, Thunderbolt from above” commanded Danny. While still in mid air Pikachu fired another Thunderbolt and aimed it straight down at Furret. Furret was hit and received a huge shock. “Furrrrrr!” it screeched in pain. “Alright you want to fight dirty, then you’ve got it, Furret use Hyper Beam!” ordered Ruby.

While Furret was still being shocked, it opened its mouth and collected energy that was forming a yellow orb. Once Furret had got enough power, it took a deep breath and orb turned in to a powerful beam that pushed the Thunderbolt away from Furret and back up to Pikachu. “Dodge it!” commanded Danny, but it was too late.

Hyper Beam hit Pikachu and there was an explosion which sent Pikachu crashing down and it hit the ground hard. “Pikachu are you okay?” asked Danny anxiously. Pikachu tried to get back up but it collapsed and fainted. “Pikachu” cried Danny. “Pikachu is unable to battle” said the referee. “Nice job Furret” said Ruby. “Furret” it squeaked back. Danny recalled Pikachu back to its ball and said “Thanks Pikachu and don’t worry about it, you just have a good rest.”

Danny thought for a moment and said to himself: “Hey, I know, I’ll use a Fighting type.” Danny took out his next Poke ball, threw it and said “I choose you Machoke!” The Poke ball opened and Machoke was revealed. “Machoke!” it roared. “Machoke use Karate Chop!” ordered Danny. Machoke ran towards an immobilized and exhausted looking Furret and swung its right arm with its hand in a sideways position and hit Furret.

Furret was sent flying and crashed into a wall of the Stadium. Furret fell back down and fainted instantly. “Furret” cried Ruby. “Furret is unable to battle” declared the referee. Ruby recalled Furret and said “Good work Furret, thanks.” Ruby took another Poke ball, threw it out and said “Golem, Go!” The ball opened to reveal the heavy Megaton Pokémon. “Golem” it said in a deep voice.

“Hah, this will be a piece of cake, Machoke use Low Kick!” commanded Danny. “Golem use Tackle!” ordered Ruby. Machoke and Golem quickly ran towards each other, Machoke dived in feet first and tripped Golem up. Golem went flying and crashed into the ground. The crash caused a bang and dust to be swept out across the felid. Once the dust had cleared Golem had already fainted.

“Oh, no I made a mistake!” whined Ruby. “Wow, Machoke took Golem out with one attack!” exclaimed Katie. “Low Kick is a fighting type move and has more power when used on a heavy Pokémon. Golem is weak against a fighting type attack and because it’s heavier, Low Kick was a lot more effective” explained Amy.

Ruby recalled Golem saying “I’m sorry Golem, I got held up in the heat of the battle.” Ruby then selected another Poke ball and threw it. It opened up and revealed Noctowl. Danny looked surprised and said “Hey wait I know that Pokémon, dad has one of those but the colour is different.” Unlike Ash’s Noctowl who was yellow and the top of its wings was red, this Noctowl had two different shades of brown. Its main body plus its head were chocolate brown; the tops of its wings were dark brown.

Danny got his Pokedex out and Dexter recited “Noctowl, the Owl Pokémon. Noctowl evolves from Hoothoot. Noctowl is a Flying and Normal type who also specialises in Psychic attacks.” Danny recalled Machoke and thought to himself “Noctowl is weak against electric types but Pikachu has been called out but I still have Cloyster.” Danny took Cloyster’s Poke ball and threw it. As he threw it the ball opened and Cloyster came out.

“Cloyster, use Ice Beam now” commanded Danny. Cloyster shot out an icy cold beam and it hit and shocked Noctowl. Noctowl screeched in pain. “Noctowl, shake it off and use Psybeam” ordered Ruby. Noctowl flapped its wings and shook off the Ice Beam then it focused its eyes and a multi-coloured beam was shot from its two horns.

The Psybeam hit Cloyster but it took the hit. As the attack stopped Cloyster felt as though it didn’t feel a thing. “Man, that Cloyster’s defence has been raised well” said Ruby. “Cloyster, wrap this up with Ice Beam!” ordered Danny. Cloyster fired another Ice Beam which shocked and surprised Noctowl. Noctowl was screeching in pain as it tried to hold on. Cloyster stopped and Noctowl fainted.

“Noctowl is unable to battle, there will now be a five minute intermission” declared the referee. Ruby recalled Noctowl and said “Thanks for giving it a try Noctowl.” At the same time Danny recalled Cloyster and said “Thanks Cloyster, take a rest.” Sitting down on the bench, Ruby thought to herself “Alright Daniel Ketchum, you may have one this round but mark my words; I will defiantly make a comeback.” And she grinned to herself.

charizardmaster125

Chapter 8: Danny V Ruby - Part 2

After beating three of Ruby’s Pokémon, Danny feels confident enough to go for the win. “Alright, I’ll win this one with ease” he said confidently. “Don’t start celebrating yet Danny” said Rachael. “Yeah, you don’t know any much about those Pokémon from Johto where Ruby is from” added Joe. “Hey it’s like I said before, you throw a Pokémon at me and I’ll take it on no matter what” said Danny.

Rachael sighed. Danny and Ruby were called back to their places by the referee. Ash and Misty looked on worried and concerned. “I hope Danny knows what he’s doing” said Misty. “I just hope Danny doesn’t let his confidence get the better of him” said Ash. Danny threw a Poke ball and it opened up to reveal Parasect. “Parasect” it said in a whispery voice.

Ruby threw her Poke ball and it opened up to reveal Lapras. Danny got a shock when he saw it and thought to himself “I know Lapras’s Ice attacks won’t make it easy but it’s also a Water type. Therefore if me and Parasect use our Grass moves right, we can still win.” “Lapras, Ice Beam now!” ordered Ruby.

Lapras fired an Ice Beam from its open mouth. “Quick Parasect, dive underground and use Dig!” ordered Danny. Parasect quickly burrowed underground using its pincers to dig a tunnel. Parasect got underground and just missed the Ice Beam by inches. “Lapras use Water Gun and aim it into the hole that Parasect dug” ordered Ruby. Danny gasped and shouted “Parasect, get out of there now!”

Lapras opened its mouth and squirted a jet of water into the entrance of Parasect’s tunnel. Parasect had heard Danny’s command and had just punched through the earth when the Water Gun blasted it out of the ground and into the air. Parasect was sent flying. “Parasect, turn around and use Giga Drain” commanded Danny.

While in mid air, Parasect managed to turn itself round then its mushroom turned green and the grass green coloured beam hit and shocked Lapras and this enabled Parasect to drain away its energy. Lapras screamed in pain. “We won’t lose, Lapras, use Ice Beam and send it packing” ordered Ruby.

Even though Parasect was still sucking up energy, Lapras summoned its last bit of strength to open its mouth and fire one more Ice Beam. The Ice Beam shot up the Giga Drain attack and as it hit Parasect, there was an explosion. “Parasect!” cried Danny with worry. Parasect fell down out of the cloud of smoke and hit the ground. “Parasect, are you alright?” asked Danny but there was no answer. Parasect had fainted before it hit the ground.

“Parasect is unable to battle” said the referee. Danny recalled Parasect saying “Thanks Parasect, take a good rest.” Danny then got out his Pokedex and looked up Lapras’s weakness. Dexter said “Lapras is weak against the following Pokémon elements: Electric, Grass, Fighting and Rock. Though Lapras is a Water type, with Ice type traits it cannot to stand up to Fire types as well as it can do.”

Lapras was looking worn out as it was panting for breath.

Danny had a tough decision to make. After a minute or so he picked his Poke ball and threw it. The Poke ball opened and revealed Machoke. “Karate Chop” ordered Danny. Machoke ran up towards Lapras and placed its right arm into a Karate sideways position and swung its hand straight into Lapras. Lapras cried in immense pain. “Lapras hang on” said Ruby but Lapras fainted.

“Lapras is unable to fight” declared the referee. Lapras was drawn back to its ball by Ruby. “Thanks for your effort Lapras” said Ruby. Ruby then selected her next Poke ball and threw it. The ball opened and Steelix, the Iron Snake Pokémon, was revealed. Steelix let out a loud roar. Danny and Machoke gasped.

Danny got out his Pokedex and Dexter recited “Steelix: The Iron Snake Pokémon. Steelix is the evolved form of Onix. When Onix is given a Metal coat it evolves into Steelix and after evolution, Steelix has it’s Rock type traits swapped for those of the Steel type but still keeps its Ground type abilities that make up for its weakness against Fire types. Steelix is however weak against Fighting, Water, Ice and Ground types.”

“Machoke, are you still able to keep going?” asked Danny. “Ma” it acknowledged back. “Aright, use Seismic Toss now!” Machoke ran towards Steelix with its arms open wide. Rachael gasped and said “What does he think he’s doing using a direct attack? He knows Steelix will be able to attack close up!” “Because Machoke only knows attacks that involve hand contact” said Joe.

“Iron Tail!” ordered Ruby. Steelix roared as the end of its tail lit up in a white light and swung it Machoke once it was in range. Steelix’s attack pushed Machoke away to the side but Machoke held its ground and ran in for another go. “Use Iron Tail and slam it on its head!” ordered Ruby. Steelix lifted the end of its tail up as it lit up white again.
Once Machoke was in range, Steelix slammed its tail down on top of Machoke’s head.

Machoke was slammed down to the ground. Steelix lifted its tail back up and the impact had imprinted Machoke into the ground. Machoke had fainted. “Machoke is unable to battle” declared the referee. Steelix let out a victory roar.

Danny recalled back Machoke and said “Thanks a lot my good friend.” Danny was about to get Charizard out when he thought to himself “Hold on a minute. Dexter said that Steelix is weak against Ground types, so let’s start off with Rhydon.” Danny got Rhydon’s Poke ball and threw it. The ball opened and Rhydon roared as it came out.

“Danny’s rolling the dice here, Steelix may be weak against Rhydon’s Ground type abilities but Rhydon is also a Rock type which makes it weak against Steel types” said Joe. “It would have been better if he still had Cloyster” said Rachael with worry. Misty and Ash looked on.

“Danny could have chosen the order of his Pokémon a little bit better” said Ash. “Is Steelix going to be more of a disadvantage?” asked Misty. “It’s a 50:50 chance and it all depends on whether Steelix has been taught any Ground type moves” replied Ash. “Steelix, use Iron Tail” called Ruby. Steelix unleashed another Iron Tail.

“Dodge it by using Dig!” called Danny. Rhydon dived underground which caused Steelix to miss. “Steelix, try and feel its movement’s!” commanded Ruby. “Rhydon, Dig attack!” commanded Danny. Rhydon popped out from underneath and gave Steelix an uppercut. Steelix roared in pain, toppled over and collapsed. “Steelix!” cried Ruby. “Steelix is unable to battle” declared the referee.

The crowd cheered. “Good work Rhydon!” called Danny. Rhydon growled back affectionately. Ruby recalled Steelix and said “Thanks Steelix, take a rest.” Ruby then said taking her final Pokémon “Your very good Danny, but like you, I won’t admit defeat, because I choose my first Pokémon!” Ruby threw the Pokémon and it opened out to reveal, Typhlosion and as it came out, the flame on the back of its neck ignited.

Danny, Joe, Rachael, Ash and Misty got a shock when they saw it. As Danny got his Pokedex out one more time he asked himself “Who’s that Pokémon?” Dexter recited “Typhlosion: The Volcano Pokémon. Typhlosion is the final evolved form of Cyndaquil which is followed by its Quilava stage. This Fire type lives in volcanic areas. If its rage peaks, its body temperature becomes so hot; people say that if you or anything else touches it, you will instantly go up in flames.”

“When I started my journey, I decided to pick Cyndaquil as my partner and we are unbeatable” said Ruby confidently. “Well I’ll break your winning streak with Earthquake!” called Danny. Rhydon stamped its right hand foot on the ground and it caused a powerful earth tremor that was full of energy and it was heading towards Rhydon.

“Jump and use Flamethrower!” commanded Ruby. Typhlosion jumped into the air missing the Earthquake by inches then it roared is it breathed out a long line of hot fire. “Block it” commanded Danny. Rhydon guarded its face with its arms crossed in front of it. The Flamethrower hit and Rhydon was pushed back.

Rhydon looked oblivious to the damage. Typhlosion touched back down onto the ground. “Let’s win this, use Horn Drill” commanded Danny. The horn on its face spun and whirred like a power drill and Rhydon charged towards Typhlosion. Ruby giggled to herself and said “Run in and use Low Kick!” Danny gasped.

Typhlosion charged towards Rhydon and dove feet first, straight under Rhydon and tripping it up. Rhydon groaned as it fell over and hit the ground hard. “Rhydon, are you okay?” asked Danny. Rhydon tried to get up but it couldn’t and fainted. “Rhydon is unable to battle” declared the referee. “Thanks Rhydon, you deserve a good rest” said Danny as he recalled it back.

Rachael looked worried and asked Joe “Do you really think that Danny will be able to win?” “It depends on how well he uses Charizard” replied Joe. Ash , Amy, Katie and Misty looked on nervously. Danny took Charizard’s Poke ball and threw it. The ball opened and Charizard roared as it came out. Danny whispered to himself “I’m counting on you old friend.”

“Charizard, Flamethrower!” commanded Danny. “Typhlosion, use Flamethrower right back!” ordered Ruby. Both Pokémon unleashed their attacks at the same time and when they collided with each other, there was a fiery explosion. Both Pokémon grinned at each other like rivals. “Charizard, fly into the air” commanded Danny.

Charizard flapped its wings and flew up high. “Typhlosion, Swift attack” commanded Ruby. “Dodge it” ordered Danny. Typhlosion opened its mouth and thousands of tiny golden stars shot out. Charizard flew away to the left but the stars followed and hit. Charizard groaned in pain. “Charizard” called Danny worryingly.

“Swift is a unique move that never misses, I’d give up” said Ruby. Danny said “We’ll never give up, Charizard, use Dragon Rage!” Charizard roared and spat out a blue and yellow coloured flame. Dragon Rage hit Typhlosion. Typhlosion growled in pain. “Dragon Rage always causes a fixed amount of damage no matter the type; I’d suggest that you should give up” said Danny. Charizard landed back down on its two feet.

Ruby smiled and said “Typhlosion, Rollout.” Danny asked himself “What’s Rollout?” Typhlosion ran towards Charizard and then stared to curl up into a ball and roll head over heels. Typhlosion went straight into Charizard but Charizard took the hit. Typhlosion rolled back to Ruby and then rolled back towards Charizard but this time, faster.

“Stop it with Flamethrower now!” commanded Danny. Charizard roared and unleashed a string of red hot flames. Flamethrower hit Typhlosion but it was being pushed aside by Rollout. “What’s the deal? It’s not working!” exclaimed a frustrated Danny. Suddenly Joe shouted to Danny “Get Charizard out of there, Rollout is a Rock type move!” “What?!” spluttered Danny.

Before he could react Charizard was hit again and it roared in pain. “Charizard!” shouted Danny with worry. “We’ve got them now, one more Rollout Typhlosion!” commanded Ruby. Typhlosion once again rolled back to Ruby and forward towards Charizard but more faster and stronger than before. “Dodge it now!” ordered Danny, but before Charizard could even flap its wings, Typhlosion hit it again only this time, Charizard fell backwards head over heels and eventually ended up laying on its belly.

“Okay, what’s wrong now?” asked Rachael. Joe said “Rollout is a Rock type move. Charizard is a Fire and a Flying type; both types are weak against Rock Pokémon respectively. When a move hits a Pokémon that has the abilities of both types the move is strong against, all its effects are quadrupled. In addition to that Rollout keeps getting stronger each time it gains a successful hit.”

“Charizard, can you get up?” asked Danny. Charizard struggled to push itself back up. “You can do it Charizard, stand up!” called Ash. “Pika Pika” cheered his Pikachu. “Come on Charizard” said Misty. “You’re almost there Charizard!” cheered Amy. “Show them what you’re made of Charizard!” cheered Katie. “Come on, come on, please stand up!” pleaded Rachael. “You can do it Charizard!” cheered Joe. “We are all behind you Charizard, we know you can do it!” called Danny.

Charizard roared in acknowledgment to everyone’s cheers as it got back up on its two feet. “Aright, good job Charizard, now use Flamethrower and wrap this up!” commanded Danny. Charizard was about to attack when it suddenly froze. Ash, Misty, Amy, Katie, Rachael and Joe gasped. “Charizard, no” called Danny in a worried tone. Charizard then gave up and collapsed, it tried to get up a second time but this time it ended up fainting, Charizard groaned once more.

“Charizard is unable to battle, Typhlosion wins, the victor is Ruby from Violet City” declared the referee. Ruby smiled. Danny quickly ran over to Charizard. “I can’t believe that Danny lost” said Rachael sadly. “It looks as if Ruby has got a little more experience” added Joe. Ash, Misty, Amy and Katie solemnly looked on as their son tended to his fallen Pokémon.

“It’s entirely my fault” Ash said in a voice full of guilt. “No Ash, please don’t blame yourself” pleaded Misty. “No it is. He’s got that reckless streak from me” said Ash. Misty said “No way, Danny just inherited it from you, it’s just one of those things that made our son so special and I think that you’ve been Danny’s perfect role model.”

Danny knelt down towards Charizard, trying not to cry he asked “Charizard, are you alright?” Charizard growled back weakly and in a way telling Danny that it was sorry. “You don’t have to apologise you did your best and win or lose, you will always make me happy.” This made Charizard feel better already.

Danny got Charizard’s Poke ball and said “Get back into your ball and take a well earned rest. I’ll get you to Nurse Joy ASAP.” Charizard growled back as the red beam drew it back into the Poke ball. Danny sighed. He got back up, shook hands with Ruby and then slowly walked back to the entrance tunnel where Ash, Pikachu, Misty, Amy, Katie, Rachael and Joe were waiting for him.

Danny approached them and his friends and family were smiling at him. Danny tried to put on a brave face. “Danny, you and your Pokémon were all in top form today” said Joe. “You were really awesome Danny” said Rachael. “And you made it to the top eight, that’s a big achievement in itself” added Misty. “You’re the coolest Danny” said Katie. “You really did your best” added Amy. “Hey, you did better than your dad did at the Indigo League” said Ash.

“I did” said Danny quietly and eventually, he could no longer hold back the tears and he began to cry. Misty was about to go up and hug Danny but Ash stopped her by putting his left hand on her shoulder as Rachael approached Danny and offered him a shoulder to cry on and they hugged each other.

charizardmaster125

Chapter 9: Moving On – The start of a new journey

After coming best eight in the Indigo League, Danny and his friends and family have made it back to Cerulean City. We find Danny in the swimming pool at the gym leaning on his arms at the side. Sitting next to him, at the edge of the floor with her feet dipped in the water is Rachael.

Danny had a depressed look on his face. Rachael hated seeing him this way and tried to make some conversation by asking him softly “So, what are you going to do next Danny?” Danny sighed and said in a quiet tone “I don’t know, I just don’t know.” And he rested his head on his arms, facing away from Rachael. Rachael felt sad and was finding it hard to say the right words.

Following his recent loss at the Indigo League, Danny has felt like he’s just ran into a brick wall and doesn’t know what to do next. He’s not alone, watching Danny fail at the Indigo League has brought back memories of loosing at the Grand Festival for Rachael. A few minutes of quietness passed until Danny’s family and Joe walked in.

“Hi guys” said Rachael. “Hi Rachael” said Joe. “Are you two alright?” asked Ash. “I’m okay but I think Danny seems a little upset” replied Rachael. Like Rachael, Misty herself, didn’t like to see Danny in this way so she walked over to him, knelt down on her left knee and tenderly placed her right hand onto his shoulder.

“Hey Danny, are you okay?” she asked softly. Danny didn’t answer. Misty gently said to him “Well, if you ever feel like having a talk, we’re all here for you.” “Thanks” said Danny quietly. Misty kissed her son on the head and got back up. Misty then turned to Ash and quietly asked him “I’m getting worried Ash, do you think he’s depressed?”

Ash answered “No, I think the reality of the loss is getting to him. I don’t think it’s any serious to get concerned about, though I would keep an eye on him.” “I feel exactly the same as Danny right now” said Rachael. “Do you Rachael, why?” asked Ash. “Watching Danny lose has brought back memories about my loss at the Grand Festival and now we’re both struggling to think of what to do next” answered Rachael.

Joe suggested “I know, it sounds like you both need someone to work with so why don’t you train with Danny and he’ll train with you.” “That’s a good idea, how about that Danny?” asked Rachael. “No thanks, I just need some time to myself thank you” replied Danny quietly. “Oh Danny” said Rachael in a sad voice.

Suddenly, Ash had an idea and said “I know how about going on a new journey.” “Where to?” asked Danny. “The Orange Islands” said Ash. “I’ve heard of those Islands. There just east of the Kanto Region and the tropical climate there is gorgeous, particularly in summer” said Rachael. Ash said “I think after the Grand Festival and Indigo League, it might clear the air for you.”

“Are there any Pokémon Contests there?” asked Rachael. “Not that I know of, but while you are there you can practice your contest skills while Danny prepares for the Orange League” said Ash. “What’s the Orange League like?” asked Danny.

Ash said “It’s very unique, there are four gyms and you do a lot more than have your Pokémon battle each other. You put your Pokémon in contests of skill and strength. Once you have all four badges, you can compete in a full six on six Pokémon battle at Pumello Stadium and if you win, you not only get a trophy but you also get entered into the Orange League Hall of Fame.”

“You won that league, didn’t you Ash” said Misty. “Wow” sad Rachael in awe. “That’s cool” said Joe. Ash blushed and said “I have the trophy, but its back at my mother’s house in Pallet Town.” “I bet it must have been a cool battle” said Rachael.

Misty said “When Danny was little, Ash used to tell him stories about the numerous Pokémon he battled and he always used to love that. When he was six, Danny witnessed his first up close Pokémon battle when Ash was fighting one of his rivals from Sinnoh, and that’s what got him in to starting a journey and picking Charmander as a starter because he had always admired Ash’s Charizard and Pikachu of course.”

“I can see where Danny got his love for being a Pokémon Trainer” said Joe. Rachael then turned his attention to Danny and asked him “So, how about the Orange Islands Danny?” Danny closed his eyes and said “I’ll have a think about it.” Misty said “Well all I can say is you should have a wonderful time, me and Ash went to Valencia Island for our honeymoon.”

“Did you have to bring that up?” asked Ash. “Wow, how romantic that must have been” said Rachael. Later on Danny and Rachael walked back to the house ready for lunch. Joe had called them over to the dining room and as Rachael was about to walk through the dining room door, Danny was heading out of the front door.

Rachael noticed this and asked him “Where are you going Danny, its lunch time?” Danny quickly turned his head round and barked “Why do you have to keep asking me the same question every five minutes?!” At that moment, Danny knew what he was doing, took a deep breath and calmed himself down.

Danny then said “I’m sorry I snapped at you Rachael, it’s just that...” Rachael interrupted him and said “It’s okay Danny, I deserved that. I understand your feelings right now and I realize you need some time alone.” “Thanks Rachael” replied Danny. Suddenly, tears started to stream from his eyes and he ran out the front door.

Rachael ran after him and pleaded “Danny, come back please” suddenly she was stopped by the hand of Ash. Rachael looked up to him and Ash shook his head. Danny was still crying as he ran down the pathway out of the house and suddenly he tripped over a small rock and fell. Danny slowly got himself up and he sobbed to himself “How could I shout a Rachael like that? We’re friends.”

We now move forward to a little later on in the day and Danny still hadn’t returned. Misty was standing at the front door of the house and was staring at it with intent. Ash came up to her and gently asked “Misty, are you okay honey?” Misty sighed and said “I’m worried about him Ash, what could have happened to my little guy?”

“I’m sure he’s fine, he just needs some time to himself” said Ash. “But he’s never run away from us like this” cried Misty and tears started to stream from her eyes. Ash hugged her and kissed her on the head. Suddenly, Ash had a quick idea and said to Misty “Hold on, I think I know where he is.” “Where?” asked Misty.

“You just stay here and I’ll be back with him as soon as I can” said Ash. The two then kissed each other and Ash ran off. “Please be careful” pleaded Misty. Danny was sitting on a brown wooden bench in Cerulean Park. There was a large water fountain and a play area with roundabouts, slides, swings, a sea saw and sand pit opposite where Danny was sitting.

Danny was looking at one of his Poke balls. “I thought that I’d find you here” said a familiar voice. Danny looked up to see that it was his father, Ash. Ash smiled at Danny and asked “Mind if I join you?” “Yeah” replied Danny. Danny moved away from the middle of the bench so Ash could sit down next to him.

“Look, I only said what was on my mind and I’m sorry for running away from you” said Danny. “I know that Danny” replied Ash. The two looked on. Ash said to Danny “This is the place where your mother and I took you when you were little, do you remember it at all?” “Yeah, I always used to like going into that playground over there and you and mum used to push me on the swings” replied Danny.

Danny then looked down at his Poke ball again. “You care about Rachael, don’t you?” asked Ash. “Yeah” replied Danny and his cheeks tinted red. “Hey, it’s cool that you care for her, but does she know that?” asked Ash. Danny sighed and said “I don’t know.” “Your still holding on to the loss against Ruby aren’t you?” asked Ash.

“Yeah” said Danny. Ash said “That means you’ve discovered a weak point. I felt exactly the same way as you when I lost the Indigo League way back.” “But you only lost because you couldn’t handle your Charizard yet” said Danny. “That’s true but like you I was a young trainer back then and me and Charizard built up a good relationship since we went through the Orange Islands” replied Ash.

“Is that why you suggested that I go to the Orange Islands, so that I can build a better relationship with my Pokémon?” asked Danny. “Yes” replied Ash. Danny pondered that thought for a moment. Ash stood up and said “It’s getting late and your mother is getting worried, let’s go home now.” “Right” replied Danny and father and son started to walk back to the Gym.

Ash and Danny made it back to the house by the Gym and Danny opened up the door. Misty, Amy, Katie, Joe and Rachael were in the sitting room when they heard the door open. “Huh, Ash, Danny?” asked Misty. Danny and Ash walked in. “Hey everyone, sorry to worry you all” said Danny. Misty quickly got out of the armchair and came over to hug her son.

“Oh Danny, I’m so happy your alright and Ash, thanks for finding him” said Misty. Ash smiled. “Where did you find him?” asked Amy. “I found him in the Park” replied Ash. “You’re a little cold, I know, how about a bite to eat?” asked Misty. “That would be great, thanks mum” replied Danny.

The next day, Rachael and Joe went back home to spend some time with their families and a couple of days after, Ash, Amy, Katie, Misty and Danny were watching the final battle of the Indigo League. The television showed Ruby holding up the trophy with confetti falling down. “So Ruby won it” said Ash. “She deserved it” said Misty. “That was a great battle” said Amy. “She put up a good fight” added Katie.

Danny was lost in thought until Misty waved her hand in front of his eyes asking “Danny, are you okay sweetheart?” Danny blinked, turned his attention onto his parents and said “Yeah, I’m fine.” Danny then said “Mum, dad, there’s something I need to tell you.” “What is it son?” asked Ash. “I’ve decided to go to the Orange Islands” replied Danny.

“That’s great, I mean I wish you were staying with us for a while but I had a feeling that you would end up going out there” said Misty. “Are you going to compete in the Orange League?” asked Amy. Danny replied “Yes and I’ve also found out another reason why I lost at the league.” “What’s that?” asked Katie.

Danny said “I didn’t have enough Pokémon; you see I was going to use those six Pokémon in the league but I think I lost because my Pokémon were tired and I didn’t have any other Pokémon to rotate around so as well as getting closer to my Pokémon, I’m going to catch some new ones as well.”

“That sounds like a good idea to me Danny” said Ash. So the next Day, Danny called for Joe and Rachael, asking them if they would like to go to the Orange Islands and both of his friends accepted the invitation and the day after, they all met up at the gym. Danny had decided to take all his Pokémon with him.

Misty handed them three passes that had a picture of a ferry on. “These are your passes that will get you on any of the ferries that operate into, out of and within the Orange Islands, make sure you don’t lose them” she said. “Thanks mum” replied Danny. Rachael and Joe both said “Thank you.” “I wish I were going on a journey” moaned Katie. “No worries, our time will come soon” said Amy.

Suddenly Ash asked “Do any of you have a Pokémon that can carry you across the water? Some of the islands where the Orange league gyms are don’t have their own ferry service.” “Don’t worry about that Mr Ketchum, I have a Gyrados” said Joe. Ash said “Good, there’s a ferry that leaves the docks in an hour for Valencia Island, you can register for the Orange league at the Pokémon Centre there, and I’ll take you there now in the car.”

Ash drove to the docks and he Amy, Katie and Misty said their final goodbyes. Danny and his friends boarded the large boat and as the boat set off, the three friends stood on the top deck and waved their arms and as Danny’s family waved back they watched the boat drift slowly into the distance.

THE END!

AN: Thanks for reading. Once again, please let us know what you liked and any constructive feedback on how this can be improved is always welcomed. I’m sorry if the prelim battles felt rushed, but I wanted to focus more on the main six on six battles. Also the reason why Amy and Katie did not have much to say is because they were later additions and I thought it would be nice to have them in. I am currently working on Danny’s Sinnoh League Challenge in celebration of the English dub of the Sinnoh League being released. By then Amy and Katie’s character will be more expanded.

Final Word Count: 18,522 (Including the Authors Notes – Story and Bios)

Thanks for reading. : - )