• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Dark Face-off Version 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to the Dark Face-off Version 3!​

Back when I first joined SPPf, there were mostly voting Face-offs. There were a few that stood out, though. They were Magma Grunt Alex’s, because he used vote anytime hurt and heal style. At that time, that was rather radical, and his Face-offs got activity. Time passes, a few notable users such as Agent Myst, Shining Alakazam, and Freckles make some Face-offs with even more radical rules. Tallyist’s Choice was a big advancement, had I posted “TC” back in GH’s Fire Face-off, I would have been thought of as strange. Even two months ago I would have turned my nose down at a post containing “TC”, as the abbreviation was not yet “usable”. Even now, we can see changes in Face-off style occurring, such as Shining Alakazam just the last week has began posting “*cancels [some user]*”. Now, I am not too fond of that, as it is laziness. Chances are, that will not be the case in February. What am I getting at? As the Face-off paradigm changes, so do the Face-offs. Was there anything wrong with Version 2? Not entirely, but there were a few problems with the rules page. First, allow me to quote something Shining Alakazam said—“your lack of formatting and dreadful organization”. Also, I never did actually say in the global rules how frequently you may vote in voting rounds, so, in all of the Mystian Face-offs, the users ultimately have set the voting rules, unless I had before the round. That needed correcting, as well as my messy, old rules post. So, please enjoy your stay at Version 3. Hopefully you will enjoy the new rules lists here as well as your stay at Version 3. Have a nice day!

Global, Mystian Face-off Rules
The below rules are to be followed on the dot in every one of my Face-offs unless stated otherwise in the individual Face-off. You are expected to for sure know and follow these.

• of course, follow the global SPPf rules. This should not even be here, but, there is always the occasional ban evader who comes through here…
  • read the Glossary. I mention many things that you may not understand if you have not consulted the Glossary.
  • make sure you understand each individual Face-off. There has been numerous times where people just assume what to vote, which can throw off results, especially in Face-offs where you heal the one you dislike the most.
  • if a tallyist tallies with a Tallyist’s Choice involved, they must say with the tally what the point(s) was/were put toward(s).
  • there will be an instant tempaban issued if someone maliciously posts a blatantly-incorrect tally or the like. Why? It is dishonest.
  • rules are subject to change, check for amendments frequently. I do not always mention that I made a rules change, although most of the time I do.
  • read below for specifics

Individual Face-off Explanations
This section contains rules and examples for each Face-off style I use, existing and whenever I make a new one. The rules here will probably not change unless there is a new style. Variations of different styles also will be here, such as if I ever use differentiating Experiments, like the latest Fire Face-off v2 Face-off.

Voting

This is the most commonly-used Face-off style. It is pretty simply users voting for which contender they want to win. Sometimes that gets reversed, where users vote for the contender they dislike. Sometimes more than two contenders may be Facing-off at once, as well. The post frequency limit is usually once per hour. Check the individual Face-off rules for clarification.

Post 1
;262; ftw!

Post 2
I am not sure, so TC…

Post 3
Mightyena pwns all!

Hurt/Heal

In Mystian Face-offs, the post frequency limit is whenever as long as one does not double post. In this Face-off style, users heal the contender they want to win and hurt the contender they want to lose. Of course, dealing and strategy is allowed.

Post 1
Heal Sneasel
Hurt Mightyena

Post 2
Heal Shiftry
Hurt Nuzleaf

The Shiftry Revolution returns!

Post 3
Heal TC
Hurt Blue Rings

The Experiment

One day I sat down, wanting something new for the Dark Face-off, and I thought of this at the time and radical Face-off style. In this style, users get ten points per post, and may do whatever with them. Posts can range from decahurts to something chaotic like in Post 1 in the example. The post frequency limit is whenever as long as no double posts occur.
IMPORTANT—ALL POSTS MUST AD UP TO TEN, ELSE GET IGNORED
ADDITIONS FROM V2-if users use a Tallyist’s Choice, then whatever they say next to it is how the tallyist takes the vote. For example:
x10 Heal TC
In that, the tallyist must use those ten points for heals, there CANNOT be any hurts whatsoever. The same is true if the above is a hurt.
x10 TC
In this case, the points can be used for doing whatever, no restrictions. Tallyists much remember to say what the points were counted towards and how they were split.

Post 1
x2 Heal Link Cable
x3 Hurt Glacia
x5 Hurt King’s Rock

Post 2
x10 Heal Link Cable

Post 3
I’ll tally. One post please.

If you like this style, you will love this Face-off.

Attrition

This is exactly like hurt and heal but without the healing. In this style, all users do is hurt contenders, with no healing. The last contender that stands wins the Face-off. See Hurt/Heal for further information.

Post 1
Hurt Ho-oh

Post 2
Hurt Typhlosion

Post 3
Hurt Ho-oh
Hey, don’t hurt my bishie! *punches Agent Myst in the stomach*

Agreement

Probably the strangest Face-off style so far I have created is Agreement. This style takes a while to explain, so I will just quote my original explanation:
Agreement Explanation said:
Face-off Eight-Agreement (another experiment)

Once again, I think I have an unorthodox round idea that hopefully will be a success. Well, I was thinking that, when we get a winner, we are usually still divided. The Cookie was not supported by everyone, I know that Ariados was not supported by everyone, b/c I surely do not support it. My point—the only way to find a true winner is to have a—unanimous agreement. How do we come about this, well…

This face-off will have every dark pkmn in it, facing-off, but, this time, there is neither voting nor hurt/heal. This round requires three people to get things moving. The way it works is, this round is basically open for free chat, while doing the face-off. This round could become many different things, a debate, the shortest round yet (besides the finals of the regional face-off), or something in the middle. What do we do in this round you still want to know? This round is elimination after elimination after elimination. The tally is just a list of the dark pkmn that remain. The way it works is—you must convince the other people online that x pkmn should be the next to be eliminated. Once convinced, by whatever means, the x amount of you must post consecutively:
Eliminate [x pkmn].
After that, then someone updates the score, without the pkmn that was removed, and we go from there. I do realize there are sometimes four of us online, that means, you must convince the fourth one to join in oyur elimination, or it wikll not count, b/c while you (three probably) post your elimination posts, the other can post:
Save [x pkmn].
…which stops the current elimination. Everyone can tally here, because it is just c/ping the list and removing a name.

There is one other catch, an official elimination can only happen ten minutes after the previous one ended,. Within that ten minutes, to make things go more smoothly, you most-likely want to be discussing the next one to be removed. If you already have a good agreement of next off and have some spare time in that ten minutes, then open chat is allowed (as always), although the difference is you are not necessarily progressing the face-off, so just do not—overdo it and spam (so follow board rules and you are fine).

If I ever use Agreement now, it will take at least three posts for elimination. The post frequency limit is no double posting save for the ten minute interval, where, as long as free chat is illegal, you cannot post.

Post 1
Let’s get rid of Nuzleaf!

Post 2
Okay.

Post 3
Eliminate Nuzleaf

Post 4
Save Nuzleaf
;)

Post 5
<<
Eliminate Nuzleaf

Post 6
Elimiante Nuzleaf

Post 7
Nuzleaf Elimianted

[tally]

IMPORTANT—see this situation

Post 1
Eliminate Shiftry

Post 2
Eliminate Darkrai

Post 3
Eliminate Shiftry

Post 4
Shiftry Elimianted

Post 2 did NOT save Shiftry, it ultimately spammed. Post 2 does not even count, as the current elimination is on Shiftry. Remember that.

Ranking

In this Face-off style, the contenders all begin at zero. After that, each poster ranks them one to four, with four being the one they least like and one being the one they like the most. Here are two illegal posts:
Post 1
Darkrai-4
Mightyena-1
Sneasel-2
Weavile-2

Post 2
Darkrai-3.5
Mightyena-1
Sneasel-4
Weavile-2

So, stick to whole numbers and do not tie any of the contenders. Tallyist’s Choice is illegal in this Face-off style. When one contender reaches 100, it is eliminated. The last one standing advances or wins. When there are eliminated contenders, keep them in your ranking, as, removal throws off the ranking. Also, I expect nobody’s ranking to change, unless tastes change, which is unlikely. Just do not be dishonest, as this style can easily be manipulated.

Post 1
Did we have to take that reference seriously?
Darkrai-4
Mightyena-1
Sneasel-2
Weavile-3

Post 2
Of course boys won't take it seriously. D:
Darkrai-2
Mightyena-3
Sneasel-4
Weavile-1

Post 3
^^ It wasn't meant to be an insult. =P
Darkrai-4
Mightyena-1
Sneasel-2
Weavile-3

Random Events

This Face-off works just like hurt and heal—with a catch. Whenever I am online, I will put in “random events” from a pool of things that could happen in the Face-off. These events could range from addition of a contender to minus fifty to all contenders with names that begin with “s”. I may even get the users involved, such as nullifying their votes from the Face-off or letting them choose x event to happen to x contender.

Post 1
Hey, WDt.

Heal ‘vanha
Hurt Nuzleaf

Post 2
What’s up, AM?

Heal ;manyula;
Hurt ;229;

Post 3
Nothing much…

Heal ‘vanha
Hurt Nuzleaf

Random Event
Add Contender—Blue Rings

Captain

TO BE FILLED IN LATER

Duel

TO BE FILLED IN LATER

Specialization I

TO BE FILLED IN LATER

…and so much more! Whenever I introduce another style, it will get here eventually, if not right away.

Dark Face-off History

Below are the winners from the past Face-offs, as it never hurts to reminisce, right?

Verison One
Original-Murkrow
Three Stage-Murkrow
Attack-Crunch
Shiny-Poochyena
Regional-Absol
The Experiment-Umbreon
Predators-Ariados
Agreement-Absol
First Stages-Sneasel
Winner of Losers-Mightyena
Random Events-Shiny Poochyena
Top Users-Eternity Absol
Dual Types-Dragon
Other Attacks-Flamethrower
Attrition-Absol
Characteristics-Croconaw

Version 2
Prey-Alakazam
Handicap-Shiftry
Favorite Removal-Crawdaunt
Dark TCG Images-e Aquapolis Tyranitar

Face-offs that never got done…
Current Face-off: Dark TCG Images
Next Face-off: “Super” Voting Experience
Next Face-off: Other Dark Associations
Next Face-off: Dark Dual Types
Penultimate Face-off: Winners’ Cup
Final Face-off: Championship One

Banned

Below are those who are banned from all Mystian Face-offs. That is right, if one gets a ban from me, they are not allowed in any of my Face-offs, since they share the same rules page.

Tempabanned Users
uglytook-Elimination from Survival (which he has anyways) for the Current Face-off Only

Permabanned Users
Eternity Absol/unownmew/Claii/GoldenSky for Posting Here Against Ban and Countless Other Things

Ancient Glossary

Below is the ancient Glossary. This is now outdated, since Pure created a now stickified topic with global Face-Off terminology. In case you want to see the original, it is below. If not, here is the new(er) Glossary.
Glossary of Terms Used in Face-off (to be edited when I think of more)
tally-a list of the current contenders and their scores
tallyist-one who adds up the current tally
face-off-the largest unit, an entire line in the list below
stage-next subunit of face-off
round-subunit of stage
survey-a few questions I poll everyone about the face-off at least every seven/eight face-offs
tallyist's choice-a variable vote that means you basically fill a spot you do not care for, and so the person who tallies it chooses what that vote was NEW RULE-the tallyist must say what the votes were counted for
CEASE POSTING-this means to stop posting for x amount of time, used when we are awaiting a tally
quicktallying-the act of tallying before, hence quicker, someone else who already offered/said they would tally
NEXT POSTER TALLIES, REGARDLSS WHO IT IS-if you see this in a post of mine, then that means that tallying is as urgent as if you are about to have a bucket of green paint poured all over your head--it is NOT optional to tally if you are that lucky poster--worst punishment could be a ban from the face-off (I hope that will never happen =P)
tally split-the number of pages between the current page and the previous tally
face-off ban-if this is given to a user, then they had better refrain from posting here while the ban is in effect, or else I may go to the moderation. The member will be informed via PM of this, and whether it is temporary or permanent. I will try to keep an updated list in this post.
tempaban-a face-off ban that is not permanent--the conditions for getting "un-banned" will certainly be given to the member
permaban-basically, never show your face here ever again. You have little to no chance of getting unbanned.
e-vote-short for an edit vote, it is simply an act that is generally illegal here, which looks like:
I vote for Weavile.
Edit: Been an hour, so I vote for Weavile again.
TMA[#]-short for ex Team Magma vs. Team Aqua--the number shows which card is being said--used in TCG Images round
Staryu-a face-off verb meaning to take over a face-off where the owner has not been doing their duties--named after the original user to do this
leapfrog-a legal act here, where you vote when there is only one user between you and your new post, again, this is legal here
free tallyist's choice-this was created by Shining Alakazam, which, is like a regular Tallyist's Choice, except the tallyist is allowed to cancel your votes out (by making them the same thing in a hurt/heal round). Now, this is legal here, although I do not see why anyone would want to post this...

DFOV2 Post Update

Want to know who posted in the DFOV2? Alright…

Post Update said:
Who Posted?
Total Posts: 8,922
User Name Posts
WaterDragon trainer 1,563
Agent Myst 1,259
Wig 1,199
Kikas123 1,057
AngelLatias 756
Shining Alakazam 749
16 years later 602
~Flareon~ 334
Infinite Master Sceptile 313
¤Umbreon¤ 282
Whoppin' Weavile 248
franyfranfranio 167
Abraace 62
/Exiled/ 43
Lapras_Lover 39
Eternity Absol 38
Mr_Mozz 25
Manetric 19
Staryu 18
Jump!Jump!Mario! 17
azkhiri 16
GoldenHouou 15
eonteam123456 10
nikoflores 10
Deputy55 8
Dramatic Melody 8
YellowHat 8
unownmew 7
Jonessodaco.Chris 6
elekible addict 4
edwardel 4
metagrossiron_fist 3
BlazeShadow 2
legendofFire 2
Locke Yggdrasill 2
Night Avenger 2
Ash's Pika Pal 2
Danny999 2
venomwind 1
gengar and alakazam fan 1
Knightblazer 1
Golden_Latias 1
scizor/elekidlover 1
Haunter lover 1
Tetsusaigas WindScar! 1
IceWings 1
CassSept 1
PWDDragon@aol.com 1
sam_h12 1
you 1
CapnCat 1
GodFather 1
striker 1
The Slow King 1
*~Puru-Ryuu~* 1
Dark_Danger 1
SapphireL 1
Violet 1
Shelldude 1
Show Thread & Close Window

Amendments

At times the rules have to be altered. Below are those alterations. Since the ones from Version 2 still have use, they will be below, as well.

Version 2

Sharing and Caring Rule
Across the face-off forum, many topics have official tallyists. Well, sorry to tel you, I do not like such a system. Why should one to three people be burdened with tallying 3+ pages that they never posted in? So, the rule in my face-off is that everyone is a tallyist. After all, sharing is caring!

Tally Rule
This rule is simple, for the sake of whoever tallies next (it could be you—sometimes I randomize it), I prefer to have an updated tally on every page. Breaking of this rule slightly is okay, but remember that this exists to make our lives easier.

September Rule
This rule is created due to the happenings of 09/02/2006. Starting and after 09/02/2006, the tally rule must not be broken with a 3+ page tally split. This is serious, as it is insane for one person to tally any further than that. Action will be taken if this rule is not followed. This rule may be removed in the far future if habits get better.
This rule is currently outdated. Please see the December Rule.

One Post Rule
there is one thing I ahte--and that is editing rules. Why? The others do not know when you get done, hence may not post. So, from 03/09/2006 and on, you cannot say "No post please." or anythign of the sort, rather request a single post so that you need not edit. Then, we do not run into any confusion to whether the tally is up or not. Also included into this rule is that when they ask for one poster, please only give them one poster. I know you may have not known, and there is no penalty from me for that. It is up to the individual tallyist whether or nott hey count your vote.

The No Strike Policy
On the occasion, this rule may be disregarded. On most occasions, if any member intentionally commits an offense towards the face-off, which would be spamming or the like, then they win themselves at least a tempaban. If the offense was small or if they did not know better, then they would be let off with either an unofficial warning or I will not even bring attention to it. A post that is outdated, such as the users who heal and hurt contenders from previous rounds or the like, gets disregarded in the rules department, as I am sure it was an honest mistake. If not, well, lucky them. This does not count posts that x999 Heal Absol and the like.

The Tempermaban Rule-added 10/14/2006
There are a few different ways a tempabanned user may become permabanned:
-they decide agaisnt fulfilling the terms of the tempaban, whether it be via PM or otherwise telling me so
-illegally posting here after they have been aware of the ban (in other words, after I PM them)
-they ignore it for x amount of time--will be set as a condition of the tempaban

December Rule-added Christmas Eve, 2006
This rule replaces the currently-existing September Rule until I see fit.
Due to happenings in many Mystian Face-Offs recently, it is now a temporary requirement to have a tally on EVERY page. If there exists a page, complete, with 20 posts without a tally, then those votes can be skipped by the tallyist. A tallyist must say if and when they skip a page and what page they have skipped. Again, this rule will not be around forever. Just for the time being.
For clarification, of course I am not going to be harsh if there is like, say, a page and a half without tallying. This is moreof to ensure tallying happens. If someone says they are tallying and lets posting continue, as long as it gets done, that is ultimately all I care about. Besides, nothing is illegal if you never get caught, right? So, of course marginal breaking of this is alright, since I am not going to be "looking" for times this gets broken.

Hidden Rule-added 12/27/2006
This exists in Experiment-style rounds. What it is, I cannot say, but it is there...
It will be "activated" when certain conditions are met. Like Mirage Island, y' know?

Final Amendment-added 12/31/2006
Due to the balance of power between Sneasel and Tyranitar in the finals of the TCG Images FO, there is no apparent way that there can be an x and x+50 margin in score. So, first to fifty wins. Thanks and have a happy New Year!

Version 3

Cancel Rule-added 01/02/2007
Recently as of late, it has been becoming slightly more popular to post "*cancels*" or something of the sort in a Face-off. To be honest, that is compelte laziness. Now, I thought "TC" and ";100;" were bad enough. Those have been pretty much accepted, but, cancelling has to be banned, why? There are many reasons for this besides laziness. One, posts get deleted. So, the original vote may not exist. Two, when the December RUle gets broken as much as possible, it can be a pain for a tallyist to do the extra work to figure out what was cancelled, as five page tallies are painful if not done quickly. Three, I, at least, do not do linear tallies. With linear tallies, it is simple, since one can just skip the two votes, but, with different mentods of tallying, that can just mess things up ever so slgihtly--or jsut be an annoyance. Four, cancel votes are legal, but not in the way you think. If I cancel the user above me, do I have control over my vote? One would think I do, but ultimately the user above does. They can edit their post to change my vote at any time. So, since I have no control over my vote, my vote is technically a Tallyist's Choice. So, if a tallyist so chooses, he/she may take a cancel vote as a TC. They may NOT skip it.
What is this really saying? It is up to the individual tallyist what votes to keep, whether to take cancel votes as cancels and whether or not to skip page 425. There is nom penalty, as a tallyist ultimately has supreme power when dealing with votes. They must remember to say now they counted everything.

Final Comments

Whew, that took a solid hour to write (yay for ten full pages), not counting the formatting afterwards. I hope you like this better than what I had before. Remember, all of my Face-offs use this post, so it gets updated regularly. Please check the edit line for updates occasionally—I will begin to say my updates there, so you will know if anything new was added. I also may flesh out some of the drier sections in the Individual Face-off Explanations in the future, as they are sort of boring. Yes, some of those I used actual posts for. Well, what else is there to say? Enjoy the Dark Face-off Version 3!

Current Face-off

Face-off One-Diamond and Pearl

Due to the rather long TCG Images Face-off, the Diamond and Pearl Pokémon have not been introduced here yet. So, let us do just that now, to keep it simple before I introduce Captain style. Dorapion and Weavile do get to be here, too.

Darkrai-10
Donkarasu-10
Dorapion-10
Mikaruge-10
Sukapuu-10
Sukatanku-10
Weavile-10

As you see, this is also acting as sort of a filler. Well, I have said enough, and only one thing remains…

Vote away! ^_^

Last edited:

Wig

Out of a crazy mind.
Wee! Me gets first post! 8D
Heal Weavile
Hurt Darkrai

.:~Wig~:.

Pure

back.
10 freaking minutes late...
Saw. It. Coming. (about half an hour ago)

Heal Darkrai
Hurt Sukatanku.

I see your formatting has improved. Impressive. *slashes* Most impressive.

Wig

Out of a crazy mind.
35 minutes left. ^.^
Heal Weavile
Hurt Darkrai

.:~Wig~:.

I wonder how many people tried to remake this thread when it was closed...=P...to ensure nobody took it from me, notice, I sent this in before I posted the DFOV2 clsoure. Nice trick, eh? Everyone, the DFOV2 never finished, I still had that list of 25 FOs. It WILL be finished before I ever consider closing the thread for good. Of course, that could happen, but, that is why things are "Unfinished". As I said, I needed a new rules page. There it is. Comments?
I actually only decided to do this sometime yesterday, so, it was sort of rushed :/...

Anyways...

Heal Weavile (I really do not care for any of these)
Hurt Donkarasu

SnoWing

A Hundred Years
Heal Weavile, hurt Dorapion.

Great rules page, AM. I really like the examples. :D

Pure

back.
Still, the font at the Welcome text could be improved.

Heal Weavile
Hurt Sukatanku

Heal Weavile
Hurt Donkarasu

*sighs*
I threw that together in about 1.5 hours...what do you expect? I formatted the headings, so it is not like a big block of text or anything.
I thought you said you made Abs 1. Oh, did you try to make this topic? =P

Pure

back.
No.
I did make Abs I. Perhaps I didn't submit it in the fray that was last night. There was a major lag, after all.
I am resubmitting it atm.

Heal Weavile
Hurt Sukatanku.

eonteam123456

Codenumber 242
Heal Weavile
Hurt Donkarasu

Status
Not open for further replies.