• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Dark Stories and How to Go about them

XY Rules

Pokemon Master
I'm just curios as to what my fellow writers think i this regard.

What do you consider dark?

Can a story become too dark?

How to make a lighter and softer story, darker and edgier?

Also, this applies to more than just Pokemon. I'm talking about dark stories in general.

Last edited:

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
Personally, I asked myself and others this kind of question as well. How well prepared and dedicated are we, as a writer, to talk about sensitive topics that could send some readers chasing and criticizing your harsh work. So for you, do you consider darker and edgier stories a necessity to make your writing recognizable?

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Heh, I write dark fics all the time, but I don't really think about it too much ^_^;. To be honest, I don't really know what makes a story dark compared to the lighter and softer aspect. Well, at least when it comes to Pokémon, one of the most popular child-friendly franchises around, we find it easy to "corrupt" it because we feel we want Pokémon to do something mature. And for the most part, GAME FREAK does that fairly well. The later Pokémon games have indeed gotten rather darker in terms of some mature themes like abuse, war, almost destroying the world with some awesome power (usually a Legendary), immortality and death--there's quite a lot of dark moments in the games, especially when you look at the spin-offs like Mystery Dungeon. And to be fair, the anime has delved into some dark moments as well, usually in the movies. But "apparently" that's not "good enough" for the fans. So Pokémon is one of the more popular franchises to write dark fics about. Some have pulled it off (in some cases extraordinarily well, like Latias' Journey), others have not.

I think the best way to approach dark, mature themes for a child-friendly franchise is to understand what kind of story you want to tell while thinking about the audience you want to attract. Depending on the story, you are going to touch upon certain themes while you're going to gloss over or just not mention at all other themes. There is no need to insert every single mature content into a story to make it edgy, because that tends to end up a mess and a sign of bad writing and immaturity. Putting in f-bombs and boobs for the hell of it doesn't usually fly well unless you really want to come off as an immature virgin person who may or may not be a teenager, or (heaven forbid) a young kid. Or you're making a parody (and it better be a good parody), or a troll fic.

You need to plan out just about everything if you are aiming for a dark story (well, any story for that matter) all while you keep the characters in character. It's not that easy, trust me, though the level of difficulty does depend on the story. It also depends on the talent behind that writing. A really talented person who knows their stuff can make a twisted, depraved Pokémon fic and pull it off very well. Someone who has potential to be a good writer will tend to have hits and misses throughout. Then you have someone where writing dark themes (or just writing in general I'm still tired let me beeeee) is just not their forte, and they may be trying hard or just half-assing it because they don't like doing it but it still doesn't come out right. It happens. Like I said earlier, some have pulled it off while others haven't. Though thankfully, there are more successful or decent dark fics than there are failures, but then again, I probably haven't noticed and I could be totally wrong about that because "90% of everything is crap".

So yeaaaah, I was totally sorta-kinda useless here as I rambled on a topic I'm all-too familiar with, but have no idea how to explain it, especially on what I do to make a dark story and the advice to give to the aspiring author. Good job informing the new generation, KP. Fruits of your effort have paid off somehow.

I'll probably come back and explain things better when something of interest pops up here, or there's a better question asked that I can answer correctly or something. Or better yet, wait until I'm completely awake and not having to go to classes in about twenty minutes. I never learn.

Firebrand

Indomitable
Well, I've always found that raising the stakes in general makes a story have more gravitas. So, okay, Team Rocket is stealing pokemon to resell on the black market. That in and of itself is a pretty grim prospect, but say they were using their profits from that enterprise to smuggle enriched uranium and fund R&D on a weapon of mass destruction that they are prepared to use on a powerful governing body. This turns Team Rocket from a shady mafia into a very dangerous terrorist cell. And now say your protagonist has managed to infiltrate the ranks, but not before whoever is in charge of the launch has started the countdown sequence. The protagonist cannot stop it, only change the coordinates of the missile. They could stand back and do nothing, or they could detonate the weapon inside the Rocket base, destroying the organization but at the same time themselves. Or, they could attempt to launch it somewhere else, where perhaps there might be less casualties or ecological damage, though with no guarantee it will work.

Another way to make a story darker is to add internality and personal moral or psychological struggles. Perhaps a character is dealing with a mental disorder, or fighting off a growing madness. The well-intentioned extremist villain might discover that they are dying of a terminal disease, and since they have nothing left to lose and only a little time left, seeing their utopia come to fruition before they die justifies the means that they use to achieve it. Or maybe, your protagonist tries hard to be good and virtuous, but their circumstances force them to make difficult, perhaps amoral, choices. The way to making a story darker and more serious is to give the characters and plotlines realistic depth and consequences.

I would consider dark any story that has a good moral quandary, and no clear cut solution. That, or characters who are sufficiently well rounded and flawed (especially flawed). A story that has no "good" side and no clear-cut "evil" side often leads to a "dark" story. A twist like the protagonist actually playing into the evil chessmaster's plan all along and bringing about the very thing they were trying to avert, or a similarly soul-crushing reveal help as well. Classical tragedies (like Macbeth, Hamlet, the Illiad, Les Miserables (arguably), Antigone and Frankenstien) are great examples of dark stories not because of the high body counts (okay, in Les Mis's case it's exactly because of the high body count) but because they wrestle with large ideas and force their protagonists to take sides on difficult issues that end up dividing them and forcing them to do things they might in other circumstances consider unthinkable. Macbeth is a sterling example of a classically "dark" story, because it combines violence and bloodshed with psychological trauma and intrigue. We watch as Macbeth changes before our eyes from an honorable man and a war hero to a villain protagonist and ultimately, a complete monster.

There are plenty of examples of good dark stories, but I think a way to do it wrong is to get too wrapped up in trying to make your story dark. I mean, you could have an axe-wielding psychopath murder everyone your protagonist loves before their eyes and leave them sobbing and awash in the blood of all they held dear. And while that's a gruesome image and understandably awful, without properly setting up this axe murderer as a threat and giving it some kind of background, I just kind of feel like it falls flat. I recognize that Edgar Allen Poe is a terrific writer with a brilliant grasp of language, but I really don't like The Fall of the House of Usher or The Tell-Tale Heart. I think he's just trying too hard to make something dreadful. Both of them are a little too over-the-top for my tastes. I have the same issue with a lot of horror movies. They just try too hard to be dark for darkness's sake.

You need to plan out just about everything if you are aiming for a dark story (well, any story for that matter) all while you keep the characters in character.

I would respectfully disagree with this. As a writer who does only minimal planning when writing, and as one who has dealt with dark themes on multiple occasions and dealt with them (in my own opinion at least) rather well, I don't think planning is as necessary as you make it out to be. Granted, if you are writing a psychological thriller or writing about a mental illness, I would advise you put in the requisite research beforehand so you know what the bloody hell you're talking about. But I tend to allow my plots and characters to grow organically, and they mature like wine as the story goes on. Some dark themes I didn't intend originally including find their way in, and experiences I put my characters through lead me to start developing them in different ways. Sometimes the best way to let something grow is to simply tend the seed.

Ultimately I have this to say: if you're a novice at writing, don't worry about making a story "dark". Just focus on writing a good story. In time, as you grow as a writer, you will also grow and develop as a consumer of media and stories, and you will learn how better to handle these dark themes and plotlines. Eventually, you'll just start writing in deeper and darker plotlines because that's what you've grown into. Kutie Pie had the right of it, this isn't an easy thing to explain (especially when the OP is so broad about it), because it's just something people do subconsciously. I had to write a novella for one of my classes last year, and a character I had originally intended to be kind of an ace and generally a folk hero archetype actually ended up as a damaged widower who was dangerously unstable and a serial arsonist using a freedom fighter movement to justify his actions. It was only in the retelling of his story by his surviving comrade that made him into a folk hero in the eyes of his people. I didn't originally intend for this character to have all that baggage, but... well, it just sort of happened. I can't explain why or how, but I knew it would make for a more interesting and compelling story, so that's just what happened.

MagusoftheMoon

I like to try to make a dark story that feels grounded and honest. By that, I mean, look at Scyther. There's an old card called Rocket's Scyther. Scythers are fast and deadly. Imagine a vicious Rocket grunt that had a Scyther. Imagine how that grunt would use his or her Scyther against foes, be they pokemon or human. This need not end at a Rocket; any trainer with a questionable moral compass could engage in pokemon on human violence. It sort of helps set up the world without being too overtly dark.

When it comes to the characters in a dark story...I like to go to A Dance with Dragons, specifically the chapters for the Reek and Ramsay Bolton storylines. It doesn't get much darker than being psychologically broken by a sadist whose favorite sport consists of: hunting prey through the woods, catching the prey, and then either raping and flaying the prey or giving the prey to the hunting hounds. Replace "prey" with "woman." The reasons tie into Ramsay's character quite well. I won't spoil it here for you , but his motives take it beyond being simple shock value. So I like to set up some twisted proclivity and work backward to understand the reason for that proclivity. Joe Abercrombie's also good for dark characters, especially in Best Served Cold, wherein a mercenary recruits a barbarian, poisoner, psychopathic brawler, and engages on a revenge hit against a powerful duke. Each character's essentially using the killing and bloodshed to feel better about themselves. The novel's theme, of course, is that violence begets violence; it's not the right way of dealing with hurt and humiliation.

What do I conside dark? Dehumanization.

Can a story become too dark? If not done well, it goes into satire. Otherwise, no.

Making lighter and softer, darker and edgier? Ask what could really happen as a result of your character's actions. And follow though.