• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Darkrai

Zachmac

Lol yeah having no solid counter besides scarf terra, scarf primape, or strong mach punch user who is able to revenge kill it.
Actually, those aren't counters. They're checks, since they're unable to swap into a predicted Focus Blast.

AlexandriaTheMixed

You A Stupid Hoe.
It's basically a broken Gengar. Having access to a better accuracy Hypnosis. And a set up move. If Gengar were to have these things, I think it'd also be broken in OU.

Basically, Darkrai should stay uber because of two moves that allow it to completely demolish regular Pokémon.

RDSchley

The Anti-Hero
I'm too lazy to do a calc of a 252/Adament Mach Punch from Conkeldurr as well as a 252/Adament Technician Breloom. I'm 99% sure that a Technician Breloom's Mach Punch will outright murder a Darkrai

John Wallrein

I am the walrein
Frankly, this is going to ruin the metagame. With all of these sweepers rampaging around, many pokemon are going to be outclassed, and we're going to be stuck with insanely cheap pokemon fighting to the death. It will be just like Ubers, but more annoying.

If they are "cheap" they wont stick around. They will surely be ousted the first voting time after they're allowed. If they aren't "cheap" then they'll stick around and have no reason to leave and wouldn't hurt the metagame too much.

AlexandriaTheMixed

You A Stupid Hoe.
If they are "cheap" they wont stick around. They will surely be ousted the first voting time after they're allowed. If they aren't "cheap" then they'll stick around and have no reason to leave and wouldn't hurt the metagame too much.

^All of this. If a Pokémon is truly broken, they won't leave it in the Metagame for too long.

Barbeller

Scatter Brained
Well, to the responses saying OU would be bad, I'm completely in agreement. It would be a bad metagame, with broken pokemon. But it's likely it would settle down, and everything would be banned again. It would be fun for a few rounds though, because the metagame is really bland at the moment. If it stayed like that, I wouldn't enjoy it - but it's not going to stay like that.

Darkrai has a very good chance of going to ubers again, unless someone finds some super-counter somehow.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Well, to the responses saying OU would be bad, I'm completely in agreement. It would be a bad metagame, with broken pokemon. But it's likely it would settle down, and everything would be banned again. It would be fun for a few rounds though, because the metagame is really bland at the moment. If it stayed like that, I wouldn't enjoy it - but it's not going to stay like that.

Darkrai has a very good chance of going to ubers again, unless someone finds some super-counter somehow.
[IMG200]http://www.deviantart.com/download/252965866/sporegard__s_visit_by_purplekecleon-d46lxpm.png[/IMG200]
credit to DevaintART's purplekecleon

RDSchley

The Anti-Hero
Just ran a calc, guess what. Technician Breloom's Mach Punch can 1HKO with a Life Orb

108-128%

This is a check to Darkrai if and only if Breloom is carrying a Life Orb, +Nature and Darkrai has not invested any EVs into physical bulk. Naturally, once Darkrai does go to OU, Scarf Terrakion 1hko's with Close Combat even with maxed HP and Def EVs in Darkrai.

so, essentially any 130 atk power fighting mon with a fighting attack with a base power of atleast 60 (65 to be safe) (Before stab) can easily 1hko Darkrai. Of course, hopefully, that mon doesn't be put to sleep before it can use said move.

I still don't like Darkrai being put in OU. It's a very scary mon with it's unique attack. It's ability isn't so bad really due to sleep clause but damn are it's stats rediculous.

John Wallrein

I am the walrein
It's basically a broken Gengar. Having access to a better accuracy Hypnosis. And a set up move. If Gengar were to have these things, I think it'd also be broken in OU.

Basically, Darkrai should stay uber because of two moves that allow it to completely demolish regular Pokémon.

Main difference, and a large one is that Darkrai is weak to, while Gengar is immune to a group of some of the common and most powerful attacks, fighting. Darkrai has the advantage though when fighting types are not in the equation as it has much better bulk to take random non SE hits with 70 / 90 / 90 defenses versus 60 / 60 /75 of Gengar, who pretty much gets 1HKO'd by any neutral attack. Then substitute comes into the equation, but thats a whole different story :p

Just ran a calc, guess what. Technician Breloom's Mach Punch can 1HKO with a Life Orb

108-128%

This is a check to Darkrai if and only if Breloom is carrying a Life Orb, +Nature and Darkrai has not invested any EVs into physical bulk. Naturally, once Darkrai does go to OU, Scarf Terrakion 1hko's with Close Combat even with maxed HP and Def EVs in Darkrai.

so, essentially any 130 atk power fighting mon with a fighting attack with a base power of atleast 60 (65 to be safe) (Before stab) can easily 1hko Darkrai. Of course, hopefully, that mon doesn't be put to sleep before it can use said move.

I still don't like Darkrai being put in OU. It's a very scary mon with it's unique attack. It's ability isn't so bad really due to sleep clause but damn are it's stats rediculous.

and a standard BU breloom would be fit to beat Darkrai just as well if not better. It won't be able to be put to sleep if Toxic Orb has activated, and the fact that it resists Darkrai's STAB, along with spD investement, it won't take much damage from Darkrai and can proceed to 1HKO with a Drain Punch.

Barbeller

Scatter Brained
Although Technician Breloom does beat Darkrai 1v1, it can't switch in on it, and therefore isn't a counter. Also, it looses to Substitute Darkrai.

Also, Darkrai could easily switch out of Breloom, as it's broken point is that it sets things asleep. Techniloom is completely beaten by stuff like Gengar, which would also help it pivot stuff like Blissey, who can't do anything back to Gengar.

I'm pretty sure most people don't invest into Darkrai's bulk, making Breloom a fairly decent 'counter' (not being able to switch in sucks for it). At any rate, a simpler way to deal with Darkrai may be to just ban Dark Void. It still gets Hypnosis, but by banning Dark Void it'd be quite a bit easier to deal with.

Barbeller

Scatter Brained
I'm pretty sure most people don't invest into Darkrai's bulk, making Breloom a fairly decent 'counter' (not being able to switch in sucks for it). At any rate, a simpler way to deal with Darkrai may be to just ban Dark Void. It still gets Hypnosis, but by banning Dark Void it'd be quite a bit easier to deal with.
Dark Void is an 80% accuracy move, so banning Dark Void isn't really that great. Also, it's technically not a counter, only a check. The generally viewed definition of a counter is that it can switch in on it. Check means that it can revenge kill things.

Also, just because it's running Substitute doesn't mean it will be a bulky Darkrai. Many offensive pokemon run subtitute, even though they don't often have much bulk.

A Dark Void ban would only affect Darkrai (and Smeargle, but Spore is so much better on him), so if you wanted to nerf Darkrai without a complex ban, that'd be the way to do it. Even then, though, you've still got a Pokemon with incredible speed, sky-high SpA, near perfect coverage between its STAB and the unreliable but powerful Focus Blast, access to Nasty Plot, and passable defenses to boot. Even without the sleep move, that's still a tall order. On the other hand, having to rely on Hypnosis to abuse sleep and Bad Dreams would make it a bit easier to handle.