• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Darkrai's Midsummer Night's Dream! (1163)

LucasMV

I liked this episode a lot more than I expected I would. I think the interactions between Dawn and Koharu were great. Also loved all the continuity nods thrown all over the episode. From Ash remembering Darkrai (like he could ever forget that ass whooping) and Dawn talking about her journeys, Piplup helping fix her hair like in DP, etc.

It felt kinda organic, like everything flowed naturally and wasn't forced. And Ash not having amnesia and remembering what he knew related to Darkrai and Cresselia makes this episode feel more integrated with the show as a whole. Not sure who wrote this episode, but well done.

Hopefully the next one will show us Dawn's contest after the Darkrai plot is done.

Teravolt

cilan lives forever in my heart
Seriously, Koharu's Eevee knocked that Rhyhorn down but not Dawn's Piplup who has battled tons of times? ...
That made no sense to me, and I never even watched DP. Also, does Chloe’s Eevee have the move Mimic? That’s the only way an unevolved Eevee could learn Bubble Beam.

Teravolt

cilan lives forever in my heart
Probably.
Or it's Mew that transformed into Eevee, then knock it's head and forgot it's not actually an Eevee. Go would go crazy lol.
I’d pay to see that.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Eevee can learn Copycat too, If I remember correctly, so it might be Copycat but the one works with anime logic, not game.
I like how Copycat is depicted in the anime, it's cooler and more genuine with the aura glowing and Eevee's tail glowing and more effort was done to link Eevee with the copied moves it's doing.

In the games, Eevee only does a flip with a blinking and then the copied moves have Eevee using one of its stock animations, like howling or front dashing and the copied moves have their own stock animations where you can't really see the actual Pokemon.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Finally watched the episode and it was ok.

I felt like everything leading up to Chloe in the forest felt unnecessarily long. I get the parallels to Dawn with things like her packing much more than she needs but I don’t think we needed all of that. It was nice seeing Johanna. She’s always been my favorite mother character design next to Grace and the SM one.

It’s also nice to see Dawn & Piplup again. I’ve heard a lot of good things about Dawn’s dynamic with Chloe and I don’t see it as anything noteworthy? Like it’s always been nice seeing Ash’s friends interact without him being the thing that connects them but this was just an average time between the two. I liked that Dawn gave her advice on not being afraid to try out things and just easing her into being more open minded though. Plus it felt like they were trying to reestablish Chloe’s independence for some reason. Loved the callback to Dawn using Bubble Beam for her bed head though

Ash & Go felt unnecessary and should’ve just been there towards the end with the scientists nightmare (best part of the episode btw surprisingly) and then going to investigate.

Never liked non TRio Team Rocket appearing outside of OS and this hasn’t changed. Galactic probably wouldn’t have worked given where we last saw Cyrus but would’ve taken something else.

Overall an average setup episode. Dawn feels like she’s going to be a somewhat major part of Chloe’s development but I feel like she could do more as I don’t have high hopes for next week’s episode. I don’t need her to flashback to DP every other sentence or just have her entire team for me to enjoy her return. Just wish she got to do more. I’ll reserve my thoughts after the second episode out of fairness though. Hope we get some major progress from her revealed like we did Iris. 6/10

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
Greetings! Been a long time since I've returned here. While I don't follow the anime anymore, I decided to return and watch this episode because one of my favorite characters returned. Dawn! She's baaaaaaack. And that alone was enough for me to dust off the old Platinum Fan and check out the episode.

The episode I watched was good enough. Not the most stellar return but it's been years since I saw Dawn, so just seeing her and Piplup on screen and in the new art style put a smile on my face. She felt as energetic as her old self form DP. I love that they brought back her bad morning hair and the bubblebeam to fix it. Classic Dawn antics right there. Her dynamic with...Chloe was it? It was cute, how Dawn kept holding up their journey to look at every Pokemon she saw, even ones she's seen before. I wish we got to here more about her Pokemon Contest quest. Sounds like she's done Contest in most regions, the only one she didn't name was Kanto oddly enough. I would have liked to have seen her current team too. Maybe seen a new member or evolution on the team. I don't know. This is only part 1 so maybe in the next episode.

Dawn asked a good question about Chloe's Eevee. She asked how it can use a water attack and I was wondering the same thing. Been so long since I've entered the Pokemon world so I'm sure a lot has changed. Are Mega Evolutions still a thing? But yeah I just wanted to see Dawn return. I guess next time she'll meet up with Ash and his travel partner and maybe TR. Won't that be a reunion lol. I feel so old, lol.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Dawn asked a good question about Chloe's Eevee. She asked how it can use a water attack and I was wondering the same thing. Been so long since I've entered the Pokemon world so I'm sure a lot has changed. Are Mega Evolutions still a thing? But yeah I just wanted to see Dawn return. I guess next time she'll meet up with Ash and his travel partner and maybe TR. Won't that be a reunion lol. I feel so old, lol.
Eevee can use Bubble Beam via Copycat, hence Eevee's aura and tail glowing. For all the scenes where this Eevee used Copycat so far, they were about assisting an allied Pokemon by copying the last move the latter did. So it's kinda like Vergil Eevee's Helping Hand from BW, except more versatile in a way that the original and copied move can be locked into different targets instead of boosting an original move into a target.

Mega Evolutions aren't really a thing outside of Korrina's cameo in the series. The gimmick in the series and this gen is Dynamax & Gigantamax (Pokemon growing Godzilla sized) which are exclusive to the Galar region. Dawn will meet up with Ash in the next episode, judging by the preview.

Last edited:

Soniman

Break the Limit
Here, you have a supposed problem that’s spanning multiple towns and cities in a region with the populace being inflicted with nightmares to the point that it leads to accidents, fights, arguments etc. and no one’s even bothering to look into it (even Jenny was half-arsing her duty)? Why is it that the adults are useless and are not bothered to look into these issues, leaving it to two kids to solve it all by themselves?
This is a extremely common thing in the anime

Soniman

Break the Limit
That's a fallacious defense...
Not really? Adults that aren't Gym Leaders or Champions have proven to be useless to the overall plot of an episode more often than not, probably because the main characters wouldn't be able to solve the problem if the adults were normally competent. So I really don't see what's so egregious about this case, most episodes don't even give a reason other then "they're not sround/can't do anything" at least there's done justification here with Darkrai exhausting everyone which prevents then from investigating effectively

Last edited:

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Not really? Adults that aren't Gym Leaders or Champions have proven to be useless to the overall plot of an episode more often than not, probably because the main characters wouldn't be able to solve the problem of there's were normally competent. So I really don't see what's so egregious about this case, most episodes don't even give a reason other then "they're not sround/can't do anything" at least there's done justification here with Darkrai exhausting everyone which prevents then from investigating effectively
Hence the 10 years olds saving the world in the games and the anime becoming a meme of the franchise, to the point that it's hard to take NPCs, including adults responsibilities seriously.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Except it isn't really a justification to make everyone in the world so inept that they need to wait on these two kids to come and solve things for them. How is everyone even alive? It's also unheard of that all the people are useless but no one has done much.

Oh, and there are Gym Leaders in some of those cities, so they should at least have done some progress.

RafaSceptile

Except it isn't really a justification to make everyone in the world so inept that they need to wait on these two kids to come and solve things for them. How is everyone even alive? It's also unheard of that all the people are useless but no one has done much.

Oh, and there are Gym Leaders in some of those cities, so they should at least have done some progress.
The problem is...

One big problem about this episode is that it persists with terrible worldbuilding that this series is more or less infamous for.

Here, you have a supposed problem that’s spanning multiple towns and cities in a region with the populace being inflicted with nightmares to the point that it leads to accidents, fights, arguments etc. and no one’s even bothering to look into it (even Jenny was half-arsing her duty)? Why is it that the adults are useless and are not bothered to look into these issues, leaving it to two kids to solve it all by themselves?

I mean what the hell, a case of something petty like ‘electricity theft’ had more police officers assigned to it and the police were actively hunting for suspects. What is this crappy contrived setup? This episode is more along the lines of JN036, where a major city in a region had a serious problem (more like completely devastated by being converted into a post-apocalyptic desert) yet no one gave much of a f***.
This is NOT a Journeys problem, it is a Pokémon franchise problem, including both anime and games, and in the anime, even since OS this is a common thing. So I don't see how it is a "Journeys problem", more like a Pokémon anime problem

Soniman

Break the Limit

This is getting near cinemasins tier in terms of nitpicking like do I need to go over the many episodes of this exact thing happening (as in the many time a crisis was happening in a gym leader's city where they don't make an appearance in said episode) that no one brought up or cared about because it's obviously such a normilazed widely accepted trend of the franchise in general but now it's a problem because "Journeys"?

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
This is getting near cinemasins tier in terms of nitpicking like do I need to go over the many episodes of this exact thing happening (as in the many time a crisis was happening in a gym leader's city where they don't make an appearance in said episode) that no one brought up or cared about because it's obviously such a normilazed widely accepted trend of the franchise in general but now it's a problem because "Journeys"?
The biggest city in Unova has no people in it.