• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Dartrix the Master!!! Rowlet the Sleeperzzz (1040)

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
1040.jpg

Team Rocket & Stufful!

Ash has decided to explore more of Melemele Island when he meets a trainer called Hau, who turns out to be the grandson of the Island Kahuna, Hala. He mentions that he and his partner Pokémon, Dartrix, are currently training for the Grand Trial and gets excited when he learns ash has already beaten it. After seeing Rowlet's evolved form, Ash challenges Hau to a battle. Who will win?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Hau's pretty fun. Glad to see he's not a 1-for-1 Ash clone here.

It's nice to see the new move not be an instant win button, and we got to see Bloom Doom again.

...Eevee met Pikachu already? I was expecting that to only happen in its episode.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Been quite some time since somebody other than Pikachu and Lycanroc used a z-move, hopefully Torracat gets to use one again soon.

I do hope Hau has other Pokemon in the future, like actually getting to see them and not pull a Gladion where we only ever see Dartrix and nothing else whenever he pops up.
Went pretty much as expected. Happy Hau finally exists and he was well done, hoping I can say the same for Guzma soon.

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
Ash's Rowlet... a small "cute" bird-based Pokemon who has an Everstone forced onto them because the writers deem the evolutions too "ugly" or unsuitable for marketing. Yep, this screams Piplup all over again.

I knew Rowlet was likely going to be Dawn's Piplup 2.0, and now it's officially confirmed. RIP to Rowlet's chances of ever evolving. I just hate it when the writers clearly force a cute mascot status onto a small Pokemon like this. I know Masamitsu Hidaka said that he found Prinplup and Empoleon "too ugly", so I wouldn't be surprised if the writers state that Dartrix and Decidueye are too ugly for marketing.

Oh well, I guess there's still hope for Torracat to later evolve into Incineroar, because SSB Ultimate promotion. But I'm getting sick of the Fire-type starters always evolving, while the starters I wanted to evolve end up not doing so because of their evolutions' design being considered "ugly" in the face of the writers.

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
Did Mokuroh just eat an Everstone? Thus making it canon that he will never, ever change?

BEST. EPISODE. EVER. (Oh dear, is my bias showing? Nah, surely it can't be, my Grass Owl bias is far too subtle for anyone to ever detect!)

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
Ash's Rowlet... a small "cute" bird-based Pokemon who has an Everstone forced onto them because the writers deem the evolutions too "ugly" or unsuitable for marketing. Yep, this screams Piplup all over again.

I knew Rowlet was likely going to be Dawn's Piplup 2.0, and now it's officially confirmed. RIP to Rowlet's chances of ever evolving. I just hate it when the writers clearly force a cute mascot status onto a small Pokemon like this. I know Masamitsu Hidaka said that he found Prinplup and Empoleon "too ugly", so I wouldn't be surprised if the writers state that Dartrix and Decidueye are too ugly for marketing.

Oh well, I guess there's still hope for Torracat to later evolve into Incineroar, because SSB Ultimate promotion. But I'm getting sick of the Fire-type starters always evolving, while the starters I wanted to evolve end up not doing so because of their evolutions' design being considered "ugly" in the face of the writers.

Well it's mre than ugly evolution it more like being markeatable and being a comedy relief for both of them which is main factor. Otherwise they could have gone the route f sliggo and charmeleon where it evolved in about 5 episodes. Besides decidueye design is kinda like robin hood with bows and it is anything but ugly. Its sad because decidueye totally suited ash's battle style. As for torracat i am now started to getting doubtfull about his evolution.

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
Well it's mre than ugly evolution it more like being markeatable and being a comedy relief for both of them which is main factor. Otherwise they could have gone the route f sliggo and charmeleon where it evolved in about 5 episodes. Besides decidueye design is kinda like robin hood with bows and it is anything but ugly. Its sad because decidueye totally suited ash's battle style. As for torracat i am now started to getting doubtfull about his evolution.

When I discovered Rowlet's personality was mostly comedy relief, I had very bad feelings from the start that he would be another Piplup, and that has now been confirmed with this episode.

As for Torracat, I still feel he may have a chance of evolving into Incineroar, since Ash's Alola team is very lacking in fully-evolved Pokemon (his only one at the moment is Lycanroc), and since Rowlet is basically confirmed to not be evolving, that means Torracat's chances will be better. Besides, just because Kukui has Incineroar doesn't mean Ash can get one as well, and Ash's Torracat evolving would tie in to Incineroar's SSB Ultimate promotion as a playable character in said game. Heck, Ash and Paul both had a Torterra!

D

Deleted member 384931

A lot of people are mad that this happend again. I just find it boring because it is not really original

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
so what was rowlet's new move?

and did it really eat an everstone? Shouldn't Ash have taken it to Nurse Joy if it did that?

Last edited:

Lucario At Service

Calm Trainer
so what was rowlet's new move?
The new move is "Seed Bomb" (modified version).

and did it really eat an everstone? Shouldn't Ash have taken it to Nurse Joy if it did that?
Well, Ash isn't worried mostly because of Rotom's explanation regarding 'how birds eat small rock/pebble to help break-down and digest their food'.

Not to mention, Rowlet is using that said Everstone for his modified "Seed Bomb" (since, rather than using his internal energy to create the seed for the move, Rowlet is replacing it with the Everstone).

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Overall, a great episode. Liked how Bloom Doom came back to take out Hau's Dartrix in the second battle. The training time was great with Rowlet's family but dang, it swallowed an Everstone. Also liked how the Substitute doll appeared again and how Rowlet was training against it.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Nice to see the best part of the Rowlet line appear in the main series after so long. As expected, Rowlet got Seed Bomb. My favorite part was seeing the Toucannon again. (Why couldn't Ash have caught a Pikipek :(?)

So Eevee meets the gang's Pokémon but not the actual trainers. I love that it's hyped to the point of being aggressive.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Meh, I mean technically Rowlet could still evolve however unlikely. After all it just has to let go of the Everstone from his mouth which he's shown to be able to.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
Meh, I mean technically Rowlet could still evolve however unlikely. After all it just has to let go of the Everstone from his mouth which he's shown to be able to.

I admire your optimism, but knowing the shows history in these situations i doubt that is gonna happen.