• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Dash, Charjabug! (984)

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
As expected, a disappointing filler episode.

I don't recall us ever considering learning a new move a filler

If the writers made Ash save Chargabug successfully and not made him get hurt and knocked out, it'd have been much better, simple.

You seem to have an issue with Ash facing the consequences of his actions and not come out on top. It's the same logic used to defend Ash jumping off roof tops and mountains.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Still way better than jumping from cliffs, towers or volcanoes when he can use his own Pokeballs.

In case of Pikachu, he can't. Plus, recklessness has been a character trait of Ash always, but being the buttmonkey? Except for OS, nah.

I don't recall us ever considering learning a new move a filler
Chargabug already probably new it, it was just revealed. It didn't learn it.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
In case of Pikachu, he can't. Plus, recklessness has been a character trait of Ash always, but being the buttmonkey? Except for OS, nah.

He still has the pokeball for Pikachu. Recklessness is always followed by consequences of his actions. I don't believe making choices, good or bad, should face the same amount of reward as you wish.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
He still has the pokeball for Pikachu. Recklessness is always followed by consequences of his actions. I don't believe making choices, good or bad, should face the same amount of reward as you wish.
Does he still have it? It was never shown again after the first episode. There is a possibility that Ash doesn't carry it anymore with him, as it's basically useless.. Even if he does, I doubt a habit of 800+ episodes can suddenly change.

This is why he ended up passing out. He just experienced the consequences of his actions.
True, but the way it was depicted wasn't good- made him seem like the centre of the slapstick.....at least risking your life by jumping from a high altitude to save your Pokemon has a heroic feeling.

Mia Blaze

I'mma gonna Deku in the face, Kacchan
To be honest, I wanted Sophcules to be the one to finish with Charjabug, it's his Pokemon and he was the one who wanted Ash and Kiawe to help him with this since he's not a good runner. And technically, this is not filler as Charjabug learnt a new move, like episode 22 wasn't when Litten mastered Fire Fang.

Plus, Ash passing out from being reckless isn't slapstick. If this scenario happened in the XY series, would people be complaining? No, because it's heroic and it's an Ash thing to do but passing out is a consequence for such actions, a realistic consequence that would happen if you did do such an act.

Overall, fun episode and I really enjoyed it.

den21

Chargabug already probably new it, it was just revealed. It didn't learn it.

he could be a butt monkey after os too, depending on the region how much. (examples include being bitten on the head by gible in dp, falling down the stairs in xy, getting mud thrown in bw etc.

yes they make ash more of a butt monkey in this series, but not by undermining him but more due to the universe being against him, being unfamilar with some things in alola, being teased at times etc.

and he is still insightful and competent when it matters so being more of a butt monkey in sm isnt detrimental to his strengths.

and recklessness is a part of his character including this time and what about the time where in xy he didnt recalled his fletchinder back into its pokeball, when it falled into a volcano but instead jumped into the volcano to save it! is that ok for you to forget something like this and get burned alive but this time isnt ok because ash got hurt....

Last edited:

DatsRight

In fairness Ash getting walloped by Charjabug was played rather serious here, and yeah, it was for heroic causes. If anything doesn't Ash taking a pounding for someone make him MORE heroic than doing it flawlessly with no repercussions?

Not a bad episode, lots of good gags. Sophociles got a decent role even if he spent most of the time as mission control (for obvious reasons). Some okay limelight for Charjabug, it at least got a win and some utility, and we establish something of a dorky but affectionate personality for it. Still not the most developed Pokemon, but I think I might actually put it above Steenee in terms of limelight.

I like SM has brought back smug rivals (along with the Alolan Raichu in the Pancake Race), ended up feeling a bit sorry for the Shiny Charjabug in the end though. The ring leader seemed pretty apathetic to what it went through.

Another random Bewear moment. Surprised it didn't interrupt the race though. Loved seeing Mareanie having to fill in for Meowth's disguise role in his absence too.

Minor note; loved hearing the Trial theme in fuller length this episode. Hope they use the Kahuna version at some point too.

Last edited:

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Well, yeah the episode did have a few bright moments, but majority of it was still pretty boring to me. Best moments were Kiawe changing the wheels (moomoo milk bottle cap experience helping out here seems far-fetched, but still funny), and of course Bewear on a motorbike.

Beyond these two moments, the episode felt flat. Also, I don't know if I should appreciate the writers for this, but that bunny teeth guy was so hateable that I wanted to pop those teeth off him. As for Ash himself, well he was OK for the most part, expect for that silly moment he jumped in. I get that he's heroic and trying to save Charjabug, and it's something commendable, but why purposely show that Pink Car running over his face and causing him to pass out. Also, shouldn't Sophocles's team be disqualified due to Ash's interference like that?

Oh, and always nice hearing more XY music. I heard the Elite Four, Gym Leader, and Rival themes if I'm not wrong.

Overall, 4/10. I did like this episode better than the Mallow one (episode 39), but that isn't saying much since that was an extremely disappointing episode.

Last edited:

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
So did Charjabug learn spark?? Or did it learn String shot? Not sure what new move was used here :p or sticky web???

Also what did he end up winning? I couldnt really tell, other than it looking like charjabug merch lol.

The bewear motorcycle.. omg best thing ever for bewear. Lmao I was just like "wut...?" but it was a good funny moment.

Ash getting knocked out for a bit is like the best thing to happen in this episode also. Sophocles may be fat but he still deserves to run a little bit with his charjabug!

Honestly not a special episode by any means, but it was fun.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
I thought that episode was pretty funny and I loved the faces they've displayed. It's a fan's dream to get all that Charajabug merchandise!! :D This was a great bonding activity for the boys while the girls went out to eat.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
I don't see how Ash was the buttmonkey. Had he not saved Charjabug, it would have been out of the race. Ash did what Ash always does--recklessly rushed in to save a Pokémon without a second thought--and he suffered the consequences for being reckless. That's nothing new, and has happened in previous series. The only bit of humor in that scene was Ash's bug eyes as the pink car hit his face. Otherwise, that incident was played rather seriously.

Ash being knocked out also gave Sophocles the opportunity to finish the race with his own Pokémon. While Ash being the support runner made sense (as he is probably the most athletic of the three boys), it was nice to see Sophocles finish the race with Charjabug.

In general, I think Sophocles shined a bit in this episode. By that, I mean we got to see his ingenuity at work. Telling Ash to act as a ramp to enable Charjabug to reach the top of the stone wall, and using Charjabug's String Shot to counteract the effects of the ice were creative ideas.

Does he still have it? It was never shown again after the first episode. There is a possibility that Ash doesn't carry it anymore with him, as it's basically useless.. Even if he does, I doubt a habit of 800+ episodes can suddenly change.
Yes, Ash still has Pikachu's Pokéball. We saw it in the Battle Chateau episode of XY, and we've often seen him with six Pokéballs on his waist, which means one of those is Pikachu's.

On another note... Bewear on a wood wheel motorbike has to be one of the funnier things I've seen in this series so far. (I loved the "WTF?!" expression on the doorman's face! :D ) I thought by now, the Bewear gag would be getting old, but the writers keep finding new ways to make the bear hilarious and prove that it has surpassed Arceus.

Also... Is that announcer woman just the go-to announcer for every single television broadcast and racing event on Melemele Island? It seems whenever there is need of an announcer or reporter, she is there.

DatsRight

I do like how all three trainers got to shine in this episode, due to their specific quirks and skills. The three boys seem to be doing a better job standing out than the girls this series, who often sink into the background unless they have lead role.

Also... Is that announcer woman just the go-to announcer for every single television broadcast and racing event on Melemele Island? It seems whenever there is need of an announcer or reporter, she is there.

Looks so. Can't complain. I missed having recurring goofy characters in the series. Wonder if there's billions of identical siblings of her too. :p

Last edited:

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I liked this episode a lot. Some good times for Sophocles and Kiawe, especially Sophocles was due for a bit of attention. Sophocles also got to be cool for a change, being the one who designed the vehicle, got the idea of using String Shot to move across the ice, and ran across the finish line with his pokémon. And I like how they didn't forget about his anxiety, as he was quite shy when the news crew showed up to interview him after his win.

I don't really get the complaints about Ash being a buttmonkey either. Yeah he got knocked out, but we was back up like a minute later. It's just a gag. It's not like he gets knocked out every episode, last time I can remember was when Stoutland pulled down his pants.

Last edited:

DatsRight

Also liked we got a bit of bonding between Sophociles and Charjabug this episode. Despite the ironically TRio-ish way it was captured, it seems to fit in with it's team.

One thing though. One point it got overexcited by the other Pokemon hugging it, and spat out string. White, practically liquid-like string.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
One thing though. One point it got overexcited by the other Pokemon hugging it, and spat out string. White, practically liquid-like string.
I don't think that was a reaction to Pikachu and Togedemaru hugging it. I think that was a reaction to whatever negative thing Sophocles was saying about it. I got the impression Charjabug was embarrassed by Sophocles's criticisms and spat string at him to make him shut up.

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
On another note... Bewear on a wood wheel motorbike has to be one of the funnier things I've seen in this series so far. (I loved the "WTF?!" expression on the doorman's face!

Literally, just skipped to that part( because I don't wanna spoil it in dub), just to see that. It was pretty funny. GTA Bewear hhahah.Bewear is like the funniest thing here, second being TR.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
That was the best Bewear scene ever. I don't know how they do it, but Bewear's scenes always get better as the series goes on. I'm really hoping Bewear shows up next episode.

Big deal Ash got knocked out, his team still won and that's what counts in the end.
And we no longer know just one of Charjabug's moves.
I really hope Soph(Mallow too) gets more episodes in the coming future. It's nice when they are more than just background characters for the others.