• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Dave Barry, Anyone?

Hakajin

Obsessive Shipper
Am I the only one here who reads Dave Barry? For those who don't know, he was a humor columnist for the Miami Herald for several years, but his articles were published in many other newspapers. There are also many books of Dave's articles published. He's mostly retired now, although he still writes a couple of annual columns, like "The Year in Review."

I think he's pretty much hilarious. Anyone agree?

GrizzlyB

Confused and Dazed
Is Dave Barry is Not Making This Up the name of one of his books? I read about half of it, and it was definitely pretty funny. I should probably finish it, really.

Hakajin

Obsessive Shipper
Yeah, that's one of them. It was a pretty good one, if I remember correctly. I like most of his books, but my favorite is Dave Barry is Not Taking This Sitting Down. There are gems in all of them, but that one had more than most. Especially the one about the science fair.

encas

Come to me...
I've never read a full Dave Barry book, but I do want to. My crush is crazy for his brand of humor, and he's shared some of the things he's said with me. From what I could tell he seems pretty funny.

Hakajin

Obsessive Shipper
I know I read the one where he went to Japan - can't remember the name, though.

Dave Barry does Japan. That's one of my favorites. My dad rented it from the library on tape, and it was even better than the book. Really great stuff, especially if you have some familiarity with Japanese culture... or portrayals of Japan in media.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
I've read a lot of his articles, and he's hilarious. Probably should read one of his books.

jigglypoof

oldskool pokeshipper
Dave Barry does Japan. That's one of my favorites. My dad rented it from the library on tape, and it was even better than the book. Really great stuff, especially if you have some familiarity with Japanese culture... or portrayals of Japan in media.

One of the few parts of the book I remember was where he was discussing kanji/katakana, and the little "scribble pictures" he came up with to show us what the language was like was hilarious. And so true for non-native speakers trying to learn ;D

BCVM22

I don't recall the title at the moment, but the book compiling his detailing of millions of years of history is the hardest I've ever laughed at a book.

Mimori Kiryu

I recognize his name because I had to research him for a paper in my Journalism class last school year. His articles were funny, but I've never read any of his books. Maybe I should. :p

Hakajin

Obsessive Shipper
I don't recall the title at the moment, but the book compiling his detailing of millions of years of history is the hardest I've ever laughed at a book.

Really? I don't know if I know that one. I do have Dave Barry Slept Here: A Sort of History of the United States, though. It's also really good.

I was surprised to see a Dave Barry article in the paper today. He's going to write periodically during the Olympics. They sent him to China for this. He said that when he and his family arrived at the Great Wall, they were greeted with the traditional Chinese welcome, "Hello! T-shirt!"

BCVM22

Really? I don't know if I know that one. I do have Dave Barry Slept Here: A Sort of History of the United States, though. It's also really good.

Wikipedia tells me that Dave Barry Hits Below the Beltway: A Vicious and Unprovoked Attack on Our Most Cherished Political Institutions was the book I was thinking of.

PsychicPsycho

Yeah, I think he's pretty good. I used to read his column all the time, and when I learned he wrote books, I read some of those as well. A lot of the ones I read were compilations from his column (ok, though, since I hadn't read most of them before anyway). I also read the fiction book Big Trouble (I think he has a second one now). I haven't read much by him for a while now, though. Of course, I haven't read much by anyone for a while now.

Wikipedia tells me that Dave Barry Hits Below the Beltway: A Vicious and Unprovoked Attack on Our Most Cherished Political Institutions was the book I was thinking of.

I thought that might've been it. My stepdad give me that book on CD for Christmas one year. I've listened to it a ton of times, and thought most of it was hilarious. I expecially liked the mockery of the 2000 election night coverage, with Dan Rather throwing out odd euphemisms (he feels like he's baling hay in a snowstorm with a left-handed teaspoon) and Tim Russert talking about what states the candidates would need to get to win (any 2 states with the letter 'R').

Hakajin

Obsessive Shipper
Ah, I went to Dave's official website, and they have links to new columns about the Olympics and the Democratic National Convention. He's doing the Republican National Convention, too. Oh, and there are also some classic columns. Here's a link to the page with columns:
http://www.miamiherald.com/dave_barry/
And to the home page:
http://www.davebarry.com

xXPorygonXx

Sort of active
My Psych. teacher had us read some exerpts from his books to help us identify mental problems. Needless to say, it was the only time I've actually loled in real life.