• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Dawn of Ruin

McLucky

Hello everybody!

For some time now, I've been writing a short fanfic that chronicles my last Nuzlocke runthrough of Blue version (old school, right?). I have a blog that includes the fic and a lot of people from the forums have been over to visit. I haven't been getting any feedback however, so I decided to bring my fic here as well (slightly edited), in the hopes that joining a community of like-minded peoples will improve my writing.

About the story: It generally follows the events of the Gen. 1 games, but I'm building up a backstory and a world with which I hope to continue after my Nuzlocke chronicle is over. It is a dark time, in which the rise of Team Rocket has strongly influenced politics and ethics in the Kanto region. Among hushed rumors and shallow news stories of devious happenings, one trainer leaves his home in Pallet to follow the ancient traditions of his town and become a Pokemon trainer.

As a warning, I have, for the sake of continuity within my game, reversed the roles that the characters Red and Blue normally play within the Pokemon world. I named my protagonist Blue after the version I played and named his rival Red. Hopefully this will not detract from the story.

Rating: PG-13. Being a Nuzlocke story, it often deals with violence and disturbing imagery including injury and death.

Without further ado, here is my first chapter; I hope to have a couple up today or tomorrow. Remember, all feedback is appreciated! Enjoy!

Dawn of Ruin
Chapter 1: An Uncertain Future

My alarm sounds, harsh and blaring in the morning haze. It's my birthday. Gotta go downstairs. I know what today will bring.

Mom's at the table. She's started breakfast already. She looks at me and tells me to sit down and eat quickly. It's my big day. As if I didn't know already. I sit down and pour myself some cereal.

As I crunch away at my PikaPuffs, my brain races, searching for a desperate escape. I think of many excuses, each more pathetic than the last. I shovel the cereal into my mouth faster and faster, hastening my doom but unable to do anything else. I look up at Mom over my empty bowl with pleading eyes.

"Mom..."

"..."

"Please..."

"..."

"It's my birthday......"

"..."

This, diary, is how my first day in the real world began.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

I adjusted the straps on my backpack as I walked away from the place I had called home for the first nine years of my life. Mine was a difficult position: ten years old, alone in the world, but with an overriding respect for the tradition that had governed the town of Pallet for centuries. It was custom, it is said, that all boys must leave home on their tenth birthday to begin their Pokémon journey. I looked toward the south and sighed. The sea breeze cooled my face and I took in the smell of the salty wind. Time to go.

I turned toward Route 1 and prepared to set out when I heard my name from a distance.

"Blue! Hey, Blue! Wait up! Hey, don't go out there!"

I turned to see kindly old Professor Oak dashing out of his lab at me, waving his arms so that his lab coat flailed wildly. "Blue, what are you doing? Don't you know it's dangerous out there? Say, isn't it your birthday? I thought yours was the same day as my grandson's! Come along, Blue. You turned ten today as well, didn't you? Right, I thought so. Don't dawdle!"

I trailed after him into his Pokémon laboratory. He pointed to various devices and introduced me to several of his research staff, but I was distracted by the thoughts of my uncertain future.

"... Oh, and here he is, Blue! Good morning, Red, and happy birthday!"

I peeked around Professor Oak and saw my childhood friend, Red Oak standing by the Professor's desk, looking impatient. We'd had a falling out several years before, and hadn't seen much of each other since.

"Oh hey, Blue," Red said. "Gramps, why am I here? It's my birthday. I'm ready to go!"

Professor Oak swirled away in a blur of Pokéballs and lab coat. "Oh, hold on, Red. No need to be impatient. Just give me... *oof*... one second... Got it!" He pranced back into view, holding a wooden box in his hands. "Now this," he said knowingly, "is a birthday present for the both of you. Go ahead! Take a look!" He lifted the lid of the box and shoved it under my nose.

"Present? Hey, Gramps? What about me?" Red yelled.

"Just a minute, Red, I'll give you one too. Why don't you let the guest pick first?"

Curious, I peered into the box. Inside were three Pokéballs. Engraved on each was the name of the Pokémon inside: Bulbasaur, Squirtle, and Charmander. I knew all three from the shows I used to watch, and knew immediately which one to pick.

"Wow, a Bulbasaur? Thanks a lot, Professor!"

"Not at all, my boy. Here Red, why don't you take a look?"

Red glowered at me from behind his grandfather. "He took the Bulbasaur... *grumble*... I guess that means I'll have to pick... Charmander." He snatched the Pokéball from the box and looked at it in disdain. "It'll do, anyway. Say Blue, why don't we have a battle, right here? I'll see how good that Bulbasaur really is."

"RED, NO! NOT IN MY LABORAT..."

"Charmander! Go!"

The red and white ball whizzed straight at me, cracking open to allow Charmander to materialize. I realized then that Red had not forgiven our feud. He chose Charmander because he knew it would have the advantage over Bulbasaur. Reluctantly, I tossed my Pokéball.

"Bulbasaur, let's see what you can do!"

Bulbasaur came out of the ball and was immediately set upon by Red's Charmander.

"Charmander, scratch him!"

The claws flew toward Bulbasaur, standing stock still before the tiny fury.

"Bulbasaur!" I yelled. "Don't just stand there! Dodge it!"

Bulbasaur growled and leapt out of the way, taking only a small scratch on his side.

"Look out for his tail! Tackle him! Pin him to the ground!"

Bulbasaur dodged the flame on Charmander's tail and pounced on it from behind. In seconds, the battle was over.

"Well, that's that, I guess," Red said. "I knew Charmander was weak. Finish him off then, Blue."

I looked at him in horror. Finish him? I couldn't do that to a Pokémon, even that of my rival. I looked down at Bulbasaur, sitting on Charmander's back, licking the scratch wound.

"Bulbasaur, return," I pointed the Pokéball at him and he shot back into the ball. "No, Red. I am a friend to all Pokémon. I will never do such a thing to any creature."

As I turned my back and left the lab, I heard his last words follow me. "You're weak, Blue! You don't even know how Pokémon work! Don't expect to get away with that out in the world!"

I came to the door and reached to open it, but a hand grabbed my arm and held me still. "Pst... Blue!" I turned to see the grizzled face of Professor Oak. "I'm sorry for what Red did back there. It was rash and immature, but there is a grain of truth to what he said. I told you it's a dangerous world out there, Blue. Team Rocket is growing in power, and no one can stop them, not even me or the Elite Four! We don't know where to find them or how to battle them! He's right when he said that you can't expect trainers in the real world to treat your Pokémon the same way that you treated his! I admire the courage and gentility you show in your battle style, but I'm warning you now that you must be on your guard!"

He sighed. "Here, Blue. I want you to have this. I see great talent in you and believe that you'll be able to help with my research. Take this Pokédex. It's a Pokémon encyclopedia! You'll be able to record information on the Pokémon that you see and catch. If I am right, it will come in useful to the both of us." He released my arm.

"Oh, and Blue... happy birthday."

-Blue. Day 1. Under a tree on Route 1

Last edited:

McLucky

Chapter 2: A Dying Legacy

Dear Diary,

It's been an eventful day, to say the least. After making camp somewhere along Route 1 last night, Bulbasaur and I spent the night together under the stars. Having had a night to reflect on yesterday, I have decided upon one standard: that as long as I call myself a Pokémon trainer, I will not harm another trainer's Pokémon, despite the warning Professor Oak gave me. I could not bring myself to do it.

We set off shortly after dawn for Viridian City. Having never left Pallet before, I did not realize that it was only a matter of hours before i would reach the city. Along the way, we encountered a Rattata and I decided that I should expand my team and I caught it. With my two friends at my side, I entered Viridian City.

I dropped them off at the Pokémon Center and set out to explore the city while they were resting. I was surprised at how deserted the city seemed. A couple of people milled about, running errands, but otherwise, the city was quiet. Toward the end of my wanderings, I came upon a massive building at the north end of the city.

"Aye, Viridian Gym, that is," a withered old man said from under the boughs of a nearby tree. "You know about Gyms? A sign of true talent, the gym badges. Ah, once upon a time I sought out the eight badges of Kanto. That time is long gone now. And no one has had the opportunity since the gym closed, many years ago..."

I looked upon the building again and realized just how run down it was. The doors and windows were boarded up. The roof was leaking and collapsing in some places. Vines grew on the walls and the metal hinges were rusted. All the glory and splendor of this colossal monument had long since vanished.

"Tale is that the gym leader simply grew bored. Found a more lucrative offering elsewhere. Packed up and headed out, leaving his gym behind. His followers left with him and no one bothered to move in. Since then, Viridian has been dying. The gym was our big offering and with that gone, we had nothing. The only people left are us oldsters, and I don't suspect we'll be building it back up any time soon!" He cackled and wandered off.

I put my back to the gym and left for the outskirts of the city. There, I encountered both a Pidgey and a female Nidoran. Two more additions to my little party. I went back to the Pokémon Center and gathered my team to head back out.

We followed a stone road west out of the city through a thinly forested area. Ponds and trees, hillocks and little vales passed by as we adventured, following the road. In the distance, I could see the figure of a person headed our way. We hastened our pace to see what news we could gather.

"Heya, Blue! Fancy seeing you here! Are you headed to the Pokémon League already? Forget about it! Don't you know that you can only pass the guards with all eight Kanto badges? Jeez, Blue. Boy are you goin' the wrong way. Hey, what do you say? Let's have another battle!"

Red. His eyes glinted as he reached for his belt. In a flash, he plucked off a Pokéball and flicked it at the road in front of my feet.

"Pidgey! Let's show him how it's done!"

"Red, we just fought yester..."

"I knew you'd be too weak to do it. Why don't you just give me that Bulbasaur now and I'll go easy on you?"

Sighing, I took Rattata's Pokéball off my belt. "You asked for it, Red. Rattata, I choose you!"

"Pidgey! Drive him into the ground!"

I gritted my teeth. Leave it to Red to goad me into a fight. "Rattata, take cover!" I yelled. Rattata skittered away, just inches from the Pidgey's driving beak.

"Quick Attack, now!"

Rattata dashed forward and swiveled to face Red's Pidgey. Gnashing his fangs, he jolted toward the Pidgey, hard, and rammed into it, sending it flying backwards to sprawl at Red's feet.

"Red, isn't this enough? We don't have to..."

"Pidgey, return! Charmander, it's your turn! Roast that rat!"

Charmander came out of his Pokéball, already spewing forth his signature flames. Rattata jumped backward, avoiding the majority of the flames, but he wasn't quick enough. I winced as he yelped in pain from the burn. Reacting quickly, I recalled him and considered my options. Although I had never trained her, I figured that Nidoran would be my best bet; I sent her out to face my foe.

"You've been busy haven't you, Blue? Very impressive. No matter. Charmander, scratch her!"

"Nidoran, counter it with a Poison Sting!" I willed her forward, hoping that her horn would connect before Charmander's claws could. Wish as I might, it wasn't enough to protect her. As the horn on her head jabbed into Charmander's torso, his claws raked down upon her back. Luckily for me, it was Charmander who staggered backwards in pain, the poison slowly coursing into his body.

"Aaargh... you... Fine. You win this time, Blue. Charmander, come back. I'll get you the antidote. See you around, Blue!" With that, he strolled off toward Viridian City, leaving me with my battered Nidoran.

By this time, the sun was setting and I didn't have enough light to stop there and tend to her. I skirted Viridian City, heading north and hoping to avoid seeing Red again. As I went deeper into Route 2, I could feel the looming presence of the Viridian Gym diminish. Before I took the turn that would take me out of sight of the city, I turned for a final look at the once-beautiful building.

"One day," I said to myself. "One day, a trainer will return to you and make you great again." I turned back and continued on.

Diary, mine is a humbling experience. My night has been spent in making camp, tending to my Nidoran, and recording this log. Even now, I see the Potion taking effect in one of my best friends in this world. Only two battles in, and I realize that I do not relish Pokémon fights. No, I would be better suited to simply raise my friends and help them grow. Hold on for a moment while I rub some more of the Potion into her scratch...

I fear for them. This world is not safe for Pokémon, as long as there are trainers like Red and organizations like Team Rocket. I do not know where my journey will take me, but I hope that I can avoid these people and train my friends in peace. I know only that my road lies north through Viridian Forest, to Pewter City. Maybe there I will find my bearings.

-Blue. Day 2. In a thicket of tall grass along Route 2.

McLucky

Chapter 3: A Tiring Ordeal

Dear Diary,

We are exhausted. We have spent countless hours wandering lost through Viridian Forest. It is a veritable maze, a tangle of thorns and trees, bushes and weeds. It may have been several days since we last saw the light of day, the trees are so densely packed and thick. In here, it is always twilight. We sleep when we're tired. We eat when we're hungry. I hope to get out soon.

The forest abounds with Pokémon, many of them of the bug-type. This was fortunate for me; I was able to add a Caterpie to my collection shortly after we entered the forest. I've been able to train my Pokémon well here. In addition to minor skirmishes with the wild Pokémon, I have engaged in friendly competitions among the resident bug catchers and trainers. This may be a good method of training and show of sportsmanship, but it is risky business. One can never truly tell the nature of the trainer before entering battle. It is in battle that a Pokémon trainer's character shines forth. The way they treat their Pokémon, the strategies they perform, and the bond, the essential connection that a trainer must form with his Pokémon, all these things are exposed when the Pokéballs fly and battle is joined.

It would be a fatal flaw to naively agree to a duel only to realize mid-battle that your adversary is actually your enemy.

Fortunately, the trainers in Viridian Forest have been amiable and willing to duel just for the sake of the duel. Each time, I have walked away victorious, but with a handshake and a smile in return. No doubt it helps them evolve their Pokémon just as it helped my Caterpie evolve into Butterfree. I am always one to offer aid to a trainer that reciprocates.

I have been reflecting, as I am wont to do in the twilit hours when I am resting while Butterfree and Pidgey fly free among the tree branches, flitting in and out playfully. I think that I shall take on the gym badge challenge. Not for the glory of the badges or the possibility of becoming a Pokémon master. I want to discover myself. I want to reveal my character and the natures of my Pokémon. I believe that challenging our limits will not only form a strong, lasting bond between us, but will also uncover our inner workings and thoughts, our philosophies and motives. I believe they are ready to face a gym leader.

I think we are nearing the forest's borders. In a few hours' time, Bulbasaur will wake me and we will press on toward Pewter City. I will be glad to escape the omnipresence of these trees and breathe the fresh air again. Somehow, I cannot escape the feeling that we're being followed.

-Blue. Day 4-6? Lost in Viridian Forest.

McLucky

Chapter 4: A Rocky Road

Dear Diary,

The sun was high in the sky the day we finally left Viridian Forest. Before us lay a lesser-traveled road in disrepair with weeds and grass growing through cracks in the pavement. But it was a straight shot to Pewter City, visible on the horizon, a grey mass of stone and marble buildings juxtaposed against the rolling green hills and surrounding fields.

I let all of the Pokémon out of their Pokéballs so that they might have some fresh air at last. I gave a cursory look at Nidoran's side before we set off- she had recovered perfectly from her fight with Red's Charmander. We left the oppression of the age-worn trees behind and made our way toward the city, determined to reach it before dusk.

Pidgey and Butterfree swirled and dove high in the sky above us as we briskly marched ever closer to our stony destination. After several hours' travel, we stopped for a brief rest and dinner. Before leaving home, I had perfected a recipe for a nutritious type of Pokémon food- a kind of cracker that restored energy and nutrients. This was the sort of thing that interested me most when I was home, and I took infinite pleasure in crafting these delicious treats for my friends.

Home.

I lowered myself onto a rock and sighed, looking behind me toward the south. Where shall I call my home now? Even years of preparation had not provided the answer. The road is no home for a boy of ten.

Lost in my meditations, I fell into silence while my Pokémon crunched on their crackers and chattered amongst themselves. I came back into focus after several minutes, only then realizing that something had been nudging my leg for some time.

"Saur?" Bulbasaur peered up at me. I scratched his head and slipped off the rock to sit beside him on the ground. My constant companion. Pals from Pallet. The Boy Bard and his Faithful Friend. The list is long, dear diary.

I let my meditations drift away and began to put my things back together. Packing the crackers back into their bag, I began to put them away but stopped when I heard a sniffling sound from behind. I turned and saw a Rattata standing on its hind legs, sniffing the air and making its way toward me, waggling its tail. It cocked its head and chittered to itself. Unhesitatingly, I offered it a cracker. It bounded forward, mouth wide to receive the delicious treat.

WHAP!

A green vine shot past my outstretched hand, missing the cracker by inches and struck Rattata across the face. Rattata pinwheeled backwards, head over tail to land sprawling in the grass.

"Rattata!"

A boy, younger than me by the looks of him, ran out of the tall grass toward us. "Rattata! Are you ok? Hey, you! Don't let your mean Pokémon hit him again! Rattata, are you hurt?"

Rattata stood up slowly and shook its head, whiskers twitching and snout sniffing the air again.

"He looks like he'll be alright. My name's Joey. I'm from Pewter. I came out here today to train Rattata. It was going great until he suddenly ran away from me! I saw you from way back there and thought it might be fun to have a battle, but I think I'll pass after seeing the way your Bulbasaur took him out. That must be some pretty good food you've got there for Rattata to ignore me. What is it?"

"I'm Blue, from Pallet. I stopped here on my way to Pewter for dinner with my Pokémon. I make my own Pokémon food. This is a cracker made from my own recipe. Would you like one?" I offered it to Rattata again. He edged forward slowly before snatching it out of my hand and retreating behind Joey.

"I thought it was a wild Rattata. Bulbasaur must have known that it belonged to a trainer. That's why he stopped Rattata from taking the cracker. Isn't that right, Bulbasaur?"

He looked up at and nodded slowly. "Bulba!"

"That's ok!" Joey said. "Hey, Blue! Your Pokémon seem pretty strong. Have you thought about taking the Gym Badge challenge? Didja know there's a gym in Pewter? You should check it out! Brock's tough, but I think you'd have a chance! What do you say I take you to my house tonight so you and your Pokémon can rest up before the big day. I'm sure my parents would appreciate the company!"

Home. The prospects of a home excited me and I took him up on his offer. It had been a full week since I had left my own home, I discovered upon reaching Pewter. A week of nomadic living. Tradition of Pallet. These thoughts swirl in my mind, diary. Joey lies on his bed, asleep. Bulbasaur lies curled up on the covers of my bed, mouth gaping in reverie. I sit here, ponderous and anxious. Tomorrow is a big day, after all. I shall go to bed too, I believe. It's been a long week.

-Blue. Day 7. Joey's house.

McLucky

Chapter 5: A Challenger Approaches

Dear Diary,

I left Joey's house early this morning, not wishing to become a burden to his family. I left with him a bag of my homemade Pokémon crackers. I hope that his Rattata enjoys them.

I wandered Pewter for several hours with Bulbasaur by my side. Joey lived in a residential area on the southern outskirts of the city. I made my way inward, knowing that I would find the Pokémon Gym deep in the city. Restaurants, shops and office buildings crowded the streets. It was not a busy city, but I could tell that it clung on to a vitality that Viridian had lost.

A colorful banner attracted my attention as we entered the downtown district. "GRAND OPENING!" it declared in bright, bold letters. "Pewter City Pokémon History Museum"

"Bulbasaur! Let's check it out! I don't think the gym will be open this early anyway."

Bulbasaur followed me into the large stone building, past stone statues of ancient Pokémon that flanked the entrance. We strolled through the exhibits, inspecting and reading at our leisure. Bulbasaur took great interest in the fossil exhibit; he tried to bite off the leg bone of a fossil Aerodactyl.

We left the museum shortly afterward and walked for another block or two. Suddenly, a huge stone building came into view, no longer blocked by the tall buildings. The Pewter City gym was situated in a large park directly in the center of the city. Flowers blossomed in rows along the sidewalks leading up to the gym, and wedges of grassy areas radiated from the center, creating a circle of flora that surrounded the imposing gym.

"Yep, that's Pewter City gym," a man said near me. He was sitting on one of the benches that dotted the green landscape of the park. "Brock there is a Rock-type Pokémon trainer. His Pokémon are rock-hard! Your Bulbasaur would stand a pretty good chance, I think- Grass is strong against Rock! I wouldn't go up against him with a Rattata though. Hahahaha!"

Rock? I thought. I hadn't encountered any rock Pokémon before. I thanked the man and we slowly walked the rest of the way to the gym.

The doors stood closed and windowless, stone slabs barring my way into the grey stone building. Pushing hard, I succeeded in cracking them open enough to slip inside and hold it open for Bulbasaur. When we were both inside, they boomed shut behind us. In front of us lay a massive arena, littered with boulders and rocks and surrounded by spectator seating. The gym was empty except for a young man in the middle of the arena, sweeping the dusty, rocky floor.

"Um, excuse me?" I shouted to him. "I'm looking for the gym leader, Brock. I'd want to battle for a badge!"

He looked up, his black, squinty eyes looking me over. He walked toward me, broom in hand. "Then you've come to the right place. I'm Brock, master of the Pewter City gym." He extended his hand when he reached me.

"My name is Blue, of Pallet."

"Pallet!?" he shuddered and recoiled.

"Yes, Pallet. Why? What is the matter?"

He said nothing but nodded to the wall behind me. I turned to see a massive screen. Messages flashed across the screen, one after another: "WELCOME TO PEWTER CITY GYM", "BROCK, MASTER OF THE ROCK-TYPE", "WINNING TRAINERS: RED"

So Red had been here already. I should have expected it. And what's more, he'd beaten Brock!

"The last trainer from Pallet came by late last night, just before closing. I was here alone for some extra training with one of my Geodude. He challenged me, even though I told him the gym wasn't ready and that he should come back tomorrow. He was ruthless and my Geodude took many hard hits. I had little choice; he would have kept pushing his Pokémon to the limit, and mine as well! I forfeited the match and gave him a Boulder Badge." Brock hung his head. "Geodude was in critical condition. I had to rush him to the Pokémon Center and I spent most of the night waiting outside the intensive care unit. I only left when the nurse came out to tell me that he would be ok."

I listened in shock, but not in disbelief. After losing contact with Red, I didn't know how he had developed. In just the past week, I have come to expect anything from him.

"Do you still wish to challenge me, Blue? I will need your word that you will not act this way if you desire the Boulder Badge."

I shook his hand and followed him into the arena. We took up opposite sides and faced each other.

"Then let the match begin! Geodude, I choose you!"

"Butterfree, let's do it!"

Our two Pokémon burst forth in a flash of light. Butterfree drifted over the boulders, while Brock's Geodude lunged from one to the next, taking cover in the rubble and thinking he could sneak up on my Pokémon. Butterfree, high in the air, had the tactical advantage; it appeared that Geodude did not realize that his opponent was above him.

"Geodude, look out!"

"Butterfree, Confusion!"

Geodude glanced upward just as Butterfree screamed down toward him.

"Freeee!"

Using its psychic ability, Butterfree hefted Geodude into the air and tossed it about.

"Dude?"

With a final heave, Butterfree threw Geodude headlong toward the ground, where he crashed into the boulders below. He staggered around slowly, clutching his rocky head.

"Geodude, return. Let's see how you do against Onix!"

I watched Brock, waiting for him to throw a Pokéball, but he merely crossed his arms and smiled. Deep below, the earth rumbled. The tremors grew stronger and the rumbles grew into a deafening roar. Butterfree flew back to me, concerned. I recalled it and reached down to pat Bulbasaur's head. "This one's for you, buddy. You can do it."

Without warning, a massive crest sliced through the floor of the arena like a fin parts water, followed by a long chain of gigantic boulders. The snake-like creature cannoned into the air, hovered, and crashed back down to the ground with a roar. Bulbasaur padded out into the arena, hopping from boulder to boulder. Without hesitation, Onix bore down upon him, driving head-first into the boulder where Bulbasaur had been standing just a moment before. Onix recoiled, confused, and swerved around, in search for my companion. All the while, Bulbasaur had been sneaking up his opponent's rocky body, having leapt from the boulder seconds before Onix crashed into it. His vines snaked around Onix's neck and constricted, holding Onix in a tight bind. Onix bellowed and swept his long tail around to smack Bulbasaur and send him flying.

"That's the way, Onix! Now go get him!"

Bulbasaur's whips shot out furiously, grabbing for a hold to break his fall. He was able to stabilize himself just as Onix crashed down on him, wrapping him tightly in a bind of its own. Bulbasaur squeezed his eyes shut in pain and growled fiercely. Suddenly, Onix's grip loosened and Bulbasaur slipped free. Onix slowly tilted to the side, picking up speed until it fell to the ground in an earth-shattering clatter. A haze of yellow-orange dust hovered in the air where they had been fighting and Brock and I both realized what Bulbasaur had done.

"A Stun Spore attack in self-defense. Well done, Blue. You have a strong connection with your Pokémon and you've trained them really well."

I strode into the arena toward Bulbasaur. He hopped onto a boulder in front of me and chirped, pleased. I tossed a cracker up to him and scratched behind his ears. While he munched on his snack, Brock walked over and brushed some of the pollen off of Onix.

"You deserve this badge, Blue. I'm really quite impressed with your skill. I see you going far. I hope you meet up with that Red kid again sometime and put him in his place. That'd be a fight to see, I'm sure. Well, anyway, take this. You should head east with this badge. Just through Mt. Moon you'll find Cerulean City. I know the gym trainer there. You should challenge her."

In his hand he held a round metal pin. The Boulder Badge. I took it and pinned it to my jacket.

"Blue, I must ask a favor of you. I trust you've seen the state of things? I fear that Pewter City is no longer safe. It is only a matter of time before Team Rocket comes looking for some of my rarest possessions. I want you to have this, Blue. Far away on an island village, there is a team of scientists that may have the technology to unlock the secrets of this fossil. Take it to them. It will help you on your journey."

He pressed a small, yellow-orange stone into my hand. Smooth and glassy, it felt warm to the touch and seemed to give off a strange pulsing aura. I looked into his eyes, silently promising to keep it safe. I lifted Bulbasaur off of his perch on the boulder and left the gym without another word.

Diary, before I stop for the night, I must confess my thoughts during my duel with Brock. What an exhilarating feeling! I hadn't felt that way in a battle before. Watching my friends, the friends that I had trained by myself, in action. It is purely indescribable. What's more, I felt even closer to my Pokémon. That was the most rewarding prize of all. Camaraderie.

I left Pewter City that day with a clear goal in mind for the first time since I left home. I would go east, to Cerulean City. I would take the Pokémon League challenge!

-Blue. Day 8. Just east of Pewter City.