• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Dawn's Early Night! (517)

saar

Shiny Flygon
I think a loss in this round was needed, so people will realize the appeal round is not so easy. I personaly think Dawn did good in the appeal. Jessie's appeal wasn't better than hers.

Lance The Champ

The Aura Guardian
Yes thats totally correct. The appeal round is not at all easy. But it was a shock for Dawn

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
Nobody must have didn't tell Dawn that it was about showing the Pokemon's attacks and beauty other than just the attacks. If she was told, then maybe she would have done differently. But even if her appeal was good, it wasn't the right kind. This makes it better than when they showed the Contests in Hoenn. They made the appeal rounds too easy and then when they got to the battling, it was mostly luck. Half of them didn't seem like they knew how to battle.

Last edited:

G50

No longer posting
This episode was good. It was interesting to see Dawn lose in the Appeal Round, the 1st time a character hasn't made it passed the Appeal Round. It was funny when they walked up to the Gym door, and instead of it opening, they ran right into it. It was disappointing to find out that the Gym Leader wasn't there. Dawn didn't do badly in the Appeal Round, but the other Coordinators did a much better job. Pachirisu and Piplup just didn't look like they were in sync, and that was probably what cost her. It was cool to see a Kricketune for the time.

50/100

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
It's interesting to see Dawn lose but I can understand why. It's supposed to be about making the Pokemon look good along with the appeal, not just the attack itself. And even if she didn't get to the appeal round, they could have still made Jessie win a ribbon.

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
Now this was a brilliant episode, I'm glad that they finally had a main character other than Jessie lose in the appeals round so that it doesn't seem so easy, in Hoenn, every main character that entered seemed to pass the round with ease, even when they never entered a contest, including Ash, May, and Brock, this is why I love DP contests over Hoenn, because they didn't seem so easy, I know you could say that Dawn got through the appeal round in her first contest too, but for Dawn, it seems a bit more realistic than the other 3 because she has a coordinating background, her mother was a coordinator, and Dawn always took an interest in it. It also added a nice element to Dawn's story, something we haven't actually explored in Pokemon yet.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I cackled when Ash and his Pokemon ran and crashed into the Hearthome Gym's closed door; I guess Ash can't read English signs. Anyway, Nando's musical appeal with Sunflora and Kricketune was fabulous and I enjoyed Zoey and Jessie's appeals as well. Seeing Dawn running outside after she discovered that she flopped was heartbreaking.

I wonder why Zoey has such a beef with people who want to do both contests and gym battles?
I was really hoping to see Nando and Zoey's match. Disappointing that they didn't show it.

JudySpell

Banned
Wow the writers must've hated Dawn in early DP since they made her lose in the Contest's first round here. Even May never lost like that.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Wow the writers must've hated Dawn in early DP since they made her lose in the Contest's first round here. Even May never lost like that.

She lost because it was part of her character development. I think they wanted to make her feel the pressure of being a daughter of a top coordinator and trying to get out of her mom's shadow and develop her own coordinating style.

JudySpell

Banned
She lost because it was part of her character development. I think they wanted to make her feel the pressure of being a daughter of a top coordinator and trying to get out of her mom's shadow and develop her own coordinating style.

I see but I think they should've had her lose during the battle round instead and not right after the appeal round.

Killerofchaos7

I call total BS on Dawn's loss here. How was Jessie's performance better than hers? Most of it involved just a bunch of tickling with the only appealing-looking performance being at the end when both Cacnea used Pin Missile and Mime Jr. mimicking that move. I'm not sure what the judges were basing things on, but I call bad judgment on their part even though they were amazed by Dawn's performance. It'd make more sense if she had loss during the double battle and not during the first round because by this point (assuming some off-screen training took place), she's got a good amount of experience. She had plenty of appeal and did an amazing job for her first time, IMO. I really don't see how she didn't make it to the second round...My only guess would be that this is some sort of plot device used to develop Dawn's character, and that would be the ONLY sensible reason of the events transpiring the way that they did.

Another thing I've always wondered was: What did Johanna know about Dawn's performance that nobody else did? We see her sitting there, frowning the whole time while watching it. As if she already knew that Dawn was gonna lose before the announcement was even made. I could never figure out how she knew this would happen, and it's never mentioned how she did. The episode was okay, I suppose...

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I liked how Ash crashed into Hearthome gym's door ha ha. Nando's appeal with Sunflora and Kricketune was amazing and so was Dawn's appeal, so I was devastated when she didn't pass the appeal round. :(

Hearthome's Contest seemed much too complex, so no wonder Dawn lost. I was proud of Nando because his Contest performance was delightful and musical.

XY Rules

Pokemon Master
Hands down one of the best episodes in the Pokemon franchise in general. Having Dawn lose in the first round is sad yet brutally realistic. As was Dawn's reaction to the whole thing, snapping at her freinds and Pokemon and then running out to go scream. Add to the fact that the reason she lost was simply that she outclassed. She had a good appeal, but it just wasn't good enough. I can definitely relate to all of this. Brilliant writing (but DP does have brilliant writing in general. And this is what starts Dawn's amazing development which cements her as the best Pokemon character ever.

Easily a 10/10

I see but I think they should've had her lose during the battle round instead and not right after the appeal round.

Ew no, that would have literally defeated the purpose. Dawn is a rookie, she should have losses like this at times. Something May should have had as well, but never did...

Last edited:

pokefandt

Hands down one of the best episodes in the Pokemon franchise in general. Having Dawn lose in the first round is sad yet brutally realistic. As was Dawn's reaction to the whole thing, snapping at her freinds and Pokemon and then running out to go scream. Add to the fact that the reason she lost was simply that she outclassed. She had a good appeal, but it just wasn't good enough. I can definitely relate to all of this. Brilliant writing (but DP does have brilliant writing in general. And this is what starts Dawn's amazing development which cements her as the best Pokemon character ever.

Easily a 10/10

Ew no, that would have literally defeated the purpose. Dawn is a rookie, she should have losses like this at times. Something May should have had as well, but never did...

Yeah this was the start of a full out losing streak for the girl, I don't think the anime had ever done that for a main character.

ZilverLox

Banned
I found the appeals enjoyable, the characters entertaining, and the drama actually somewhat dramatic. Although, yeah, Jessie's appeal was pretty bad. As someone who has despised Nando since he was first introduced, I was shocked to find myself growing incredibly fond of him! Something about how sing-songy he was when in normal conversation and the calm attitude of him and his Pokémon during their appeal made me adore him.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I laughed when Satoshi hit the Yosuga Gym's door, and given the Grass-type theme of Naoshi's team up until this episode, I was surprised to see him own Korotok now. Hikari's Appeal with Pochama and Pachirisu was fantastic, but given Buoysel's feistiness, I wish he'd been used instead. And I was actually pleased that Naoshi defeated Nozomi and Musashi.