1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Dawn's eventual return

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by Sham, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Sham

Sham On the right road

It's speculated that DP remakes are coming eventually. How do you think/want Dawn's return to be handled. Were you impressed by her original one? What interactions/updates will you be expecting? Do you even think she's coming back? Feel free to discuss that and more.

2. mysticalglacia

mysticalglacia Alola Shill

I actually liked her BW return. People overreact way too much about Iris “corrupting” Dawn, especially when it was shown so many times in DP that even though they have a tight relationship, Ash and Dawn still tease each other. Was it a little gratuitous, especially when she called him a kid for the tiniest mistakes? Yeah, but it was cute to see her and Iris get along. Her loss against Iris was sus though; May vs. Dawn was believable but Iris winning only bc of her OP Dragonite was frustrating.

However I would like to see a better return written for her. Give her some team changes, a new updated look, and please establish she’s made progress in Hoenn.

3. RileyXY1

RileyXY1 Young Battle Trainer

I'm thinking that they are more likely to just create another anime-original rival like they did with Sawyer.

Spider-Phoenix and AznKei like this.
  4. AznKei

AznKei Competing against players in Match Masters. XD

Yeah, I mean if May couldn't make it in XY despite the ORAS games being released during those times, what are the odds that Dawn would make her return in the next series, assuming there's a DP remake during the next gen?
    I didn't really care about Dawn vs Iris outcome. If anything I'm glad that they got to interact each other especially that BW was the last series to keep the tradition of having a Pokegirl from the last series interacting with the current one. They didn't do it in XY & SM.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  5. TheWanderingMist

TheWanderingMist Kanae, Keeper of the Gates Emblazoned

May had the problem of her VA retiring, and Japan is reluctant to replace them. Oak's got replaced because he was also the narrator and needed to be replaced once his VA passed away.

Spider-Phoenix likes this.
  6. AznKei

AznKei Competing against players in Match Masters. XD

I still don't get the idea to keep the VA for the character for such a long running show. Japan also do video games remakes in 2 decades gap and they could change their VAs without much problem.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  7. Konja7

Konja7 Well-Known Member

Although original VA are important in Japan at some level, they aren't irreplaceable.

If they really want to use May and her VA is retired, they could replace her VA.

It is more likely May doesn't appear, because the staff isn't interested in promote ORAS with her appearance.

Spider-Phoenix likes this.
  8. mysticalglacia

mysticalglacia Alola Shill

KAORI retired and while I would’ve loved to see May return, I guess an XY cameo wasn’t deemed important enough to just entirely replace her VA. However if this new series really is going out of its way to show every companion, then May can’t be left out unless they want a barrage of complaints from both the JP and worldwide fans. While Japan is loyal, they can and will replace VA’s in anime, so if they’re committed to having her return they’ll just get someone who sounds similar.

Dawn returning in any capacity though is still more likely, especially since her VA is not only as active as ever, but also popular. If they can hire KanaHana, they can get Megumi Toyoguchi back for a bit.

9. Konja7

Konja7 Well-Known Member

They can replace May's VA.

However, I don't think this new series is exploring the 8 regions because they want to show every companion.

The new series just seems to want to promote the Pokemon franchise in general (instead of focus in a particular game). After all, there are a lot of Pokemon merchandise outside of the games.

10. Spider-Phoenix

Spider-Phoenix Go, Go Power Rangers

Miette's first VA retired after the character's first appearance and they replaced her.

Japan can change voice actor and will change if the situation calls for it. What they don't do is arbitrary changes like when the VA is still active and interested in the role. Only time they did was with the Saint Seiya hades OVAs and the backlash was big back then.

Anyway, I think Dawn has a better chance of showing up. Not just because of Piplup but also because of her former status as co-protagonist. I can definetely see she sticking around for a long arc promoting the DP games or at least the Sinnoh segment.

mysticalglacia likes this.
  11. RileyXY1

RileyXY1 Young Battle Trainer

They could just create new characters to do that instead, which is what I think that they will do.