• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Dawn's eventual return

Sham

The Guardian of War
It's speculated that DP remakes are coming eventually. How do you think/want Dawn's return to be handled. Were you impressed by her original one? What interactions/updates will you be expecting? Do you even think she's coming back? Feel free to discuss that and more.

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
I actually liked her BW return. People overreact way too much about Iris “corrupting” Dawn, especially when it was shown so many times in DP that even though they have a tight relationship, Ash and Dawn still tease each other. Was it a little gratuitous, especially when she called him a kid for the tiniest mistakes? Yeah, but it was cute to see her and Iris get along. Her loss against Iris was sus though; May vs. Dawn was believable but Iris winning only bc of her OP Dragonite was frustrating.

However I would like to see a better return written for her. Give her some team changes, a new updated look, and please establish she’s made progress in Hoenn.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
I'm thinking that they are more likely to just create another anime-original rival like they did with Sawyer.
Yeah, I mean if May couldn't make it in XY despite the ORAS games being released during those times, what are the odds that Dawn would make her return in the next series, assuming there's a DP remake during the next gen?
I actually liked her BW return. People overreact way too much about Iris “corrupting” Dawn, especially when it was shown so many times in DP that even though they have a tight relationship, Ash and Dawn still tease each other. Was it a little gratuitous, especially when she called him a kid for the tiniest mistakes? Yeah, but it was cute to see her and Iris get along. Her loss against Iris was sus though; May vs. Dawn was believable but Iris winning only bc of her OP Dragonite was frustrating.

However I would like to see a better return written for her. Give her some team changes, a new updated look, and please establish she’s made progress in Hoenn.
I didn't really care about Dawn vs Iris outcome. If anything I'm glad that they got to interact each other especially that BW was the last series to keep the tradition of having a Pokegirl from the last series interacting with the current one. They didn't do it in XY & SM.

Last edited:

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Yeah, I mean if May couldn't make it in XY despite the ORAS games being released during those times, what are the odds that Dawn would make her return in the next series, assuming there's a DP remake during the next gen?

I didn't really care about Dawn vs Iris outcome. If anything I'm glad that they got to interact each other especially that BW was the last series to keep the tradition of having a Pokegirl from the last series interacting with the current one. They didn't do it in XY & SM.
May had the problem of her VA retiring, and Japan is reluctant to replace them. Oak's got replaced because he was also the narrator and needed to be replaced once his VA passed away.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
May had the problem of her VA retiring, and Japan is reluctant to replace them. Oak's got replaced because he was also the narrator and needed to be replaced once his VA passed away.
I still don't get the idea to keep the VA for the character for such a long running show. Japan also do video games remakes in 2 decades gap and they could change their VAs without much problem.

Last edited:

Konja7

Although original VA are important in Japan at some level, they aren't irreplaceable.

If they really want to use May and her VA is retired, they could replace her VA.

It is more likely May doesn't appear, because the staff isn't interested in promote ORAS with her appearance.

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
Although original VA are important in Japan at some level, they aren't irreplaceable.

If they really want to use May and her VA is retired, they could replace her VA.

It is more likely May doesn't appear, because the staff isn't interested in promote ORAS with her appearance.

KAORI retired and while I would’ve loved to see May return, I guess an XY cameo wasn’t deemed important enough to just entirely replace her VA. However if this new series really is going out of its way to show every companion, then May can’t be left out unless they want a barrage of complaints from both the JP and worldwide fans. While Japan is loyal, they can and will replace VA’s in anime, so if they’re committed to having her return they’ll just get someone who sounds similar.

Dawn returning in any capacity though is still more likely, especially since her VA is not only as active as ever, but also popular. If they can hire KanaHana, they can get Megumi Toyoguchi back for a bit.

Konja7

KAORI retired and while I would’ve loved to see May return, I guess an XY cameo wasn’t deemed important enough to just entirely replace her VA. However if this new series really is going out of its way to show every companion, then May can’t be left out unless they want a barrage of complaints from both the JP and worldwide fans. While Japan is loyal, they can and will replace VA’s in anime, so if they’re committed to having her return they’ll just get someone who sounds similar.

Dawn returning in any capacity though is still more likely, especially since her VA is not only as active as ever, but also popular. If they can hire KanaHana, they can get Megumi Toyoguchi back for a bit.

They can replace May's VA.

However, I don't think this new series is exploring the 8 regions because they want to show every companion.

The new series just seems to want to promote the Pokemon franchise in general (instead of focus in a particular game). After all, there are a lot of Pokemon merchandise outside of the games.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Miette's first VA retired after the character's first appearance and they replaced her.

Japan can change voice actor and will change if the situation calls for it. What they don't do is arbitrary changes like when the VA is still active and interested in the role. Only time they did was with the Saint Seiya hades OVAs and the backlash was big back then.

Anyway, I think Dawn has a better chance of showing up. Not just because of Piplup but also because of her former status as co-protagonist. I can definetely see she sticking around for a long arc promoting the DP games or at least the Sinnoh segment.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Anyway, I think Dawn has a better chance of showing up. Not just because of Piplup but also because of her former status as co-protagonist. I can definetely see she sticking around for a long arc promoting the DP games or at least the Sinnoh segment.
They could just create new characters to do that instead, which is what I think that they will do.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
To get back to the main topic of the thread, instead of sillily arguing about VA changes, I would say that if Dawn returns, it should be revealed that she's Top Coordinator now. There's no reason for her not to be considering that she barely lost
winning09.jpg

so if she did anything except win this time it would be a step backward.

Plus, now that Ash is Champion, there's nothing wrong with another character winning, as I was under the impression back in Gen IV that Dawn was originally going to beat Zoey but they changed their mind since they didn't want another character to win before Ash.

If Dawn does come back this generation, they could even potentially show her Grand Festival as part of the show, since they're going to every region! Not just mention it later as I suggested above

Sham

The Guardian of War
I’m kinda under the impression Contests will never be mentioned in the series again because they’re not in the games. Even if Ash returns to sinnoh they’ll probably just avoid mentioning them like how dawn didn’t mention contests in her BW cameo.
I mean Contests weren’t in BW but Dawn mentioned the Wallace Cup and Serena was mentioned to be doing Contests in Hoenn during XY.

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
Since they are travelling to every region, I’d like to see Ash and Go travel to a region and watch and Ash introduces Go to the concept of contests by inviting him to watch his friend compete in a Grand Festival tournament, we get to see Dawn compete in the festival and end up winning it.

Mew2

Team Rocket's Enemy
Since they are travelling to every region, I’d like to see Ash and Go travel to a region and watch and Ash introduces Go to the concept of contests by inviting him to watch his friend compete in a Grand Festival tournament, we get to see Dawn compete in the festival and end up winning it.

I would love to see something like this. While I would be satisfied with either Dawn or May, I think Dawn is more likely due to her VA not having any health issues, that I know of. And since a certain spoiler
Ash having won the Alola League and even beaten Kukui in the exhibition
happened I think we should now see some of Ash's traveling companions accomplishing their goals and winning their own competitions, too.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Megumi Toyoguchi has resumed her carreer after taking an extended maternity leave.

Anyway, I do hope Dawn comes back at some point and meet with Go. It's going to be fun seeing all of the anime protagonists gathered together.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I hope that if/when Hikari does return, that we'll get a minor flashback to her Contest journey in other regions that'll show Kengo and Nozomi in cameos. They were some of my favorite Contest rivals, and I'd love to see them appear again even just in flashbacks.

SatoSereFan224888

It would be cool to see Dawn return. I would love to see her come along on a motorcycle. Her bike would be a Suzuki GSX-R1000.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
It would be cool to see Dawn return. I would love to see her come along on a motorcycle. Her bike would be a Suzuki GSX-R1000.
Have you seen any of the companions/classmates driving motorized vehicles? The anime also had morals for the viewers who are mostly childrens, and having them to drive those vehicles are no-no. Pokemons as transportations are fine because they are fictional creatures after all.