• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Dawn's handling after DP

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Ash has it even worse than Dawn since DP ended. Everything about him went down the drain once he regressed in BW and he hasn't been the same since (he's actually at his worst in both XY and in this series.)

I know some would disagree with that especially XY.

I don't get the problem, right now he's finally getting to battle at levels he should've been fighting at had they stopped pushing the reset button long ago.

If this is about him not using his reserves, i don't get it either personally, but at this point most of his current guys can pull thier weight regardless so I don't mind, hopefully by the time of the masters 8 he does break out the heavy hitters, but even so using them for the first two tiers would've been pure overkill.

Morax

King of heroes
Ash has it even worse than Dawn since DP ended. Everything about him went down the drain once he regressed in BW and he hasn't been the same since (he's actually at his worst in both XY and in this series.)
>implying
Ash has had it worse since OS. AG ash is a failed edward elric. DP ash is pretty boring outside of his interactions with paul. BW ash is a retard. XY ash is a failed naruto clone. SM ash is a failed monkey D. luffy clone and JN ash is…..they don’t even know what he’s supposed to be.

Decidueye23

Plus as minor as it was I enjoyed having conflict between Pokegirls for once and see some clashing personalities. Misty and May were amicable but nothing memorable, Dawn and May got along famously but they have shared experiences as coordinators, Iris and Dawn got along well and Misty connected with Lana and was friendly with Lillie and Mallow. Chloe being a punctual worry wart, kind of a stick in the mud vs Dawn being more adventurous and more willing to stop and enjoy the scenery I just find it altogether more engaging than in BW where she was just there for 6/8 episodes she was around
I dont think many people mind the Dawn Koharu interactions. Its the lack of other stuff that bothers people, me included.

See when misty came back the first time, we got the entire togetic arc, that was heavily focused on her.
When May came back, she essecntially contributed to Dawn's growth, while also showing how far she has come, and showing that there has been sone growth in her character.
When Dawn came back in BW with a Quilava, you got to see that there has been some growth in her journey as well.
Misty and Brock in SM came back with Megas. You get the point.

There is in no way a problem when the returning companion comes back to aide in the growth of the current companion. The problem is the returning character doesnt have to be treated like they havent done much since the last time we saw them. These things arent mutually exclusive. We can get dawn contributing to chloe's arc while she has meaningful interactions with Ash, and also showcasing the growth of her character.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
I dont think many people mind the Dawn Koharu interactions. Its the lack of other stuff that bothers people, me included.

See when misty came back the first time, we got the entire togetic arc, that was heavily focused on her.
When May came back, she essecntially contributed to Dawn's growth, while also showing how far she has come, and showing that there has been sone growth in her character.
When Dawn came back in BW with a Quilava, you got to see that there has been some growth in her journey as well.
Misty and Brock in SM came back with Megas. You get the point.

There is in no way a problem when the returning companion comes back to aide in the growth of the current companion. The problem is the returning character doesnt have to be treated like they havent done much since the last time we saw them. These things arent mutually exclusive. We can get dawn contributing to chloe's arc while she has meaningful interactions with Ash, and also showcasing the growth of her character.
Agree
And she lost her nose too

ImBeVillain

No more six members
Dawn is such a girly version of Ash 2.0. Lack of creativity on personality formation in many characters in the Pokemon anime.

Do you know Platina Berlitz from the Diamond & Pearl manga?
It is the same person in appearance, but personality is very different.
Platinum_Design.jpg

She have a typical "kuudere" personality, but slowly opens her emotions over time to her friends and family and have Empoleon in her team.
I prefer this Dawn's manga version more than the anime one, after all, she is my top 1 favorite Pokemon manga character.

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
Dawn won’t get new Pokémon, go and watch her special episode, in that she decides not to leave her team behind, it’s the team that helped her get where she was and she wants them to continue making adventures together.
Out of her team only Buneary and Quilava can evolve. Buneary most likely won’t because of the crush on Pikachu. Quilava could potentially evolve to promote Legends or to differentiate from a potential Ash Legenda Typhlosion.

Evstike

Take me back to peak pokemon
Sure, it would be nice if Dawn made some progress, but I'd much rather have her be stagnant than get whatever bs they pulled off with Iris's return. And before anyone jumps down my throat, I don't have any problems with Iris, but I do have a problem when characters reach the top of a field in which they were never interested in or capable of based on on-screen evidence prior to their return. I like watching characters make significant progress towards their goals on-screen.

Dawn already has a team of 6. She would have had to swap one out or exceed the party limit, which I suppose could have worked and has happened before in this series, in order to show off a new team member. Out of her current team, only Quilava has a plausible chance of evolving. I'm not that pressed over Dawn not having any team changes given the circumstances.

Last edited:

Soniman

Break the Limit
No it wasn't it was focused on Togepi

And Dawn's Cyndaquil evolved in her after series special not BW itself so ko BW didn't really show any growth on her part as well

Sure, it would be nice if Dawn made some progress, but I'd much rather have her be stagnant than get whatever bs they pulled off with Iris's return. And before anyone jumps down my throat, I don't have any problems with Iris, but I do have a problem when characters reach the top of a field in which they were never interested in or capable of based on on-screen evidence prior to their return. I like watching characters make significant progress towards their goals on-screen.
This is a ignorant assessment since Iris has always been into battling and using gyms as the next step in her journey of growing her team and dragons (which aids in dragon mastery) was completely realistic with what she would do as a character. How does wanting to be a dragon master and love battling mean you can’t challenge gyms? Now if your issue is the level of success she reached, perhaps you didn’t pay attention to how much emphasis they put on Iris being skilled and gifted, and that’s more of a reflection of your dismissiveness to the BW series and what was shown. The pokegirls are not all the same skill level, point blank period.

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
There isn’t much room for Dawn to grow or progress towards her goal. At the end of DP, she had already won The Wallace Cup, been the runner up in a Grand Festival, and had a full team of 6 that was mostly evolved or didn’t want to evolve. So I don’t think she has a lot of room to progress towards her goal without accomplishing it.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I haven't been fond of how she's been handled post-DP. For starters, I think she of all previous characters deserves at least one new team change, yet she's still stuck with the same Pokemon that she's had in the past decade. I maintain that Mimirol should've evolved ages ago, especially since her crush on Pikachu is absurd and will never amount to anything, in any case.

Aside from that, I don't think that her interaction with Koharu was that fruitful in the grand scheme of things either since any COTD could've just as easily had a heart-to-heart talk with Koharu, instead. Franky, if any Shinou character had to return, I wish it had been Jun or Shinji instead of Hikari.

Sham

The Guardian of War

Dawn already has a team of 6. She would have had to swap one out or exceed the party limit, which I suppose could have worked and has happened before in this series, in order to show off a new team member. Out of her current team, only Quilava has a plausible chance of evolving. I'm not that pressed over Dawn not having any team changes given the circumstances.
Why do you y'all have to attack Iris' return every time you're "up lifting" Dawn's? It's like you're trying to convince yourself. Iris was always interested in battling and considering the fact she challenged multiple Gym Leaders and was offered a position involving the Unova league where are you getting this from? The girl almost had a 100 winning streak. And what makes you think she wasn't capable of doing that? What narrative bias from the anime made you come to that conclusion? Most of you guys who say "SHE DIDN'T DESERVE IT!!!!!!" have yet to give a good narrative basis in BW on why she couldn't have developed and moved in that position. The way you guys speak on it is if as Serena became the Champion of Kalos. Iris was already established as powerful trainer prior to BW2 and when those games were announced it solidified her fate. The anime has made it a goal to currently have the raining Champion in the anime the same as the games hence why they traded Wallace for Steven once ORAS became the most recent games instead of Emerald. BW2 are the most recent games as it stands and Iris is the Champion there. And last but not least not sure what the entire point of "I like watching characters make significant progress towards their goals on-screen" was because she didn't reach her goal. That was the entire point. She just so happened to become the strongest in Unova.

Last edited:
Unlike Iris or Misty, every other Poke Girl is stuck in OLM original plot hell, so Dawn, May, and Serena have it rough. Those three are Ash-level of competence.

Lillie loses anyway, despite having a Magearna just because. (Not unlike in Masters where she is terrifying.)

May developed greatly. A lot consider her the blueprint since her growth and progression after leaving AG was very much prominent.

Applecorp

I hate how any topic criticizing May, Misty, Serena or Dawn immediately devolves into people bringing up Iris and what a bad character people think she was. The whataboutism is tiring.

That being said yeah Dawn hasn't been in top form lately. I wish she had become Top Coordinator already and evolved more of her Pokemon too. And a new change of clothes would've been cool.

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
I didn’t buy or play BDSP but from what I heard Super Contest have been gutted completely from their original style of portrayal and with PM offering a closer portrayal to the Pokémon world if they were to bring back Contest they would have been made closer to the game iteration which are lame anyway.

Last edited: