• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Dawn's handling after DP

Hanto

Water Addiction
Hi there everyone.
We all know that after their respective saga previous girl companion got some really good team boosts and goal achievements.
Misty received Gyarados in Chronicles and got ability to mega evolve it prior to SM, became the Cerulean city gym leader and even taught her Psyduck to use water moves properly. May evolved her Eevee into Glaceon and got the second place at Wallace Cup.
Iris not only got Gible (and Goodra offscreen), but evolved fully Axew and acquired the title of Unova regional champion.
We've got all these power-, glow- and level ups in the 1-3 episode for each girl. However, Dawn got the most screentime out of all female companions after DP... But still feels pretty lackluster.
Yeah, her Quilava evolved in special that seemed like cheap ripoff of "Following the Maiden's voyage" with Ariados stuff and damsel in distress situation. And that's all!
Dawn's amount of screentime in BW was enormous comparing to Misty and Dawn, but it was quantity over quality.
She didn't advance as coordinator at all, didn't participate in Pokemon Musical, just was... there to be defeated by Iris with no impact on goal or character of former girl (in contrast with May's appearance in DP Cynthia was the one who inspired Iris to work out her and Dragonite relationships).
In Jorneys Dawn just shows off with Piplup (that used Bubblebeam instead of newly learned Hydro Pump) and hangs out with Chloe. That's all! No new evolutions (Lopunny or Typhlosion), no new team members (Galarian Rapidash or Edlegoss, for example), no mention of her progress as Coordinator, while Iris in one episode became Champion, got new team changes, battled Ash and even impacted his Happynite's development, helping it to learn Dragon Meteor.
Now Dawn will appear again in the so called space-time arc just to be Cynthia's maid of honor (like in BW) and walking BDSP advertising.
Legendary pokemon plots have nothing with Dawn and her personal development and instead of showing her growth we should watch some our dimension and parallel one's Dawns shenanigans.
She is not irreplaceable here, her role easily could be played by Barry/Professor Rowan/Riley of other significant trainers from DP games.
And despite doing absolutely nothing in 2 episodes of JN (and possibly next 2 also) she already got a long end of stick, starring in 4 episodes of current saga. Yes, technically Korrina got the same amount of episodes, but she was deeply integrated in the subplot of Ash-Bea rivalry and Lucario's "development".
I'm not a Dawn hater, but would rather see May/Serena/Lana/Mallow/Lilly got their screentime and growth instead of that dull cameos of DP co-protagonist.
Are you ok with Dawn handling in Journeys (and maybe BW2)? Happy to see her in 4 episodes with no clear significance to the plot or prefer to see one solid episode with Dawn's growth and team changes ala Iris VS Ash or Korrina VS Ash?

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
In Unova it was wonderful
Her appearance with Koharu was boring and her face I would have appreciated if they didnt change her face. Athough it wasn't distorted and a big ew like happened with Misty in SM, I barely recognized her

I completely agree, a lot of people think that Dawn had a significant impact on Chloe, but the truth is that that episode was nothing more than a chat with random advice between friends, in that episode there could be another girl with a lot of experience who would advise Chloe and it would have been absolutely the same.

It's a pity that Dawn became a "piplup taxi" at this point, we don't know anything about her goal, her other pokémon, etc.

Jiffunk

I just hate how her goal is to become a top coordinator, yet none of her cameos even showed her being in a contest. This would have been a great opportunity to inspire Koharu to try different things even if it doesn't result in becoming a coordinator, but I doubt the upcoming dialga/palkia arc will showcase anything like that.

pancakemonster

Alola...home...
If I’ve said it once I’ve said it a thousand times, contests were one of the best things this show had going for it, and it’s a crime they got jettisoned after gens 3 and 4. Maybe not EVERY saga needs them, but damn, it’s not like Journeys is playing by the game’s rules at this point anyway, so them not being in SWSH is no reason they couldn’t return, especially since gen 4 remakes were a forgone conclusion and will make contests relevant again

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I was mostly ok with her BW return and vastly prefer it to her JN return. I’m not seeing what’s so great about her dynamic with Chloe and while her dynamic with them wasn’t anything crazy, I found her interactions with Iris & Cilan more engaging. Would’ve liked some more updates on her life like how May got to update Ash & Brock back in her DP return but other than that, it was fine.

JN’s return felt bland and out place given the plot with the two legendaries. I’ve said before that I feel as though what they were going for with their dynamic would work better with Serena. Overall wasn’t bad but you could take Dawn out for any old character and I wouldn’t care too much. Won’t judge the upcoming episodes but hope it’s better

Soniman

Break the Limit
Plus as minor as it was I enjoyed having conflict between Pokegirls for once and see some clashing personalities. Misty and May were amicable but nothing memorable, Dawn and May got along famously but they have shared experiences as coordinators, Iris and Dawn got along well and Misty connected with Lana and was friendly with Lillie and Mallow. Chloe being a punctual worry wart, kind of a stick in the mud vs Dawn being more adventurous and more willing to stop and enjoy the scenery I just find it altogether more engaging than in BW where she was just there for 6/8 episodes she was around

Blood Red

【推しの子】
Dawn's handling isn't the best, yeah. However, that's what happens when you start out as a character in one of the best-written seasons of the anime and then cameo in the two seasons with, in my opinion, some of the worst writing in the series. Even Iris just got a brief moment of glory before getting her ass handed to her by an Ash using a team of all-new Pokémon. Members of the Alola gang either didn't show up at all, were turned into background filler, or were reduced to rivals for Goh (though, it was still better than what Iris, and especially Dawn, got from Journeys). I'm worried Gary will just be reduced to fodder so the writers can try to convince us to like Goh.

Honestly, I'm just worried about how this saga will handle other returning main characters. I don't really wanna see Clemont, Bonnie, Serena and Lillie in this saga; they're better off in the past. I especially don't wanna see Serena, because the Dawn treatment makes me think they might just remove Serena's feelings for Ash, erase her Pancham from existence and just leave her as a way to showcase (heh) Sylveon as a potential 'future' for Chloeharu's Eevee.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Dawn's handling isn't the best, yeah. However, that's what happens when you start out as a character in one of the best-written seasons of the anime and then cameo in the two seasons with, in my opinion, some of the worst writing in the series. Even Iris just got a brief moment of glory before getting her ass handed to her by an Ash using a team of all-new Pokémon. Members of the Alola gang either didn't show up at all, were turned into background filler, or were reduced to rivals for Goh (though, it was still better than what Iris, and especially Dawn, got from Journeys). I'm worried Gary will just be reduced to fodder so the writers can try to convince us to like Goh.

Honestly, I'm just worried about how this saga will handle other returning main characters. I don't really wanna see Clemont, Bonnie, Serena and Lillie in this saga; they're better off in the past. I especially don't wanna see Serena, because the Dawn treatment makes me think they might just remove Serena's feelings for Ash, erase her Pancham from existence and just leave her as a way to showcase (heh) Sylveon as a potential 'future' for Chloeharu's Eevee.
I agree, Koharu doesnt deserve to meet Serena. She can just keep petting her Eevee and do HW in school w/e

If they remove Serena’s feelings for Ash there will be riots

Blue Saturday

Unfurl your Blessed Wings!
Hikari’s return should be focused on herself IMO but what do you do when Contest are a non-entity for over a decade (?) Honestly, Hikari’s first return in PM was meh overall. When it came to affecting Koharu’s character the episode mostly kind of retreaded development she already got and it ended with her finding out she’s actually pretty good at understanding Pokemon as it was her dad’s words that allowed her to connect with Cresselia and her own intuition in assuming Darkrai wasn’t malicious. I think Koharu had more meaningful interactions with her Jouto clone in the Blacky/Eifie episode.

But she’s at least getting a second return now with her Pochama’s kidnapping being the catalyst to start the adventure. I was thinking if she came back it would be for a Legends of Arceus time travel plot where she gets to show off Hisuian Bakuphoon but given they’re in a dimensional rift and her Pochama got kidnapped it would make sense for her to send out Magmarashi who could evolve because of the wonky powers of the episodes and maybe she can save her precious penguin with a new evolution.

Ideally more tangible focus on herself as a character, new attire, more concrete words on her progression would be sweet but it seems like recent series wanna keep character tied to their "past images" which is why we got Kasumi, Takeshi in their OS clothes and Pochama using Bubblebeam and Whirlpool when he got a bunch of killer upgrades like Ice Beam, Drill Peck and Hydro Pump in his last appearances. Especially to match the remasters of Diamond&Pearl for Switch. The writers already established the dynamics in her first return so now they can just focus more on her as a person a bit with the other cast members as Koharu won't be in focus.

I think she'll bounce more off eccentric characters like Shirona, Go, Satoshi, Team Galactic-Rocket and the overall theming being so off the walls sounds enjoyable for it.

Last edited:

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
It's just insulting they made Iris a freaking Champion yet refused to make Dawn(A far superior character mind you, I don't hate Iris anymore but this is still true!) a Top Coordinator. You're telling me Dawn went through Johto, Hoenn and Unova without ever winning a Grand Festival? Bull ****!

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Ash has it even worse than Dawn since DP ended. Everything about him went down the drain once he regressed in BW and he hasn't been the same since (he's actually at his worst in both XY and in this series.)