• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Dawn's New Journey! (DPSP1)

Gaiash

Champion Scientist
So because May didn't like Pokemon at first, that means she got more development? I'm assuming that Dawn should have gotten the same treatment then. But of course he would complain that would make Dawn even more bland and unlikeable.

He is just bashing for the sake of bashing. Dawn had just as much development as May. Just because May had some existential crisis about not liking Pokemon at first doesn't mean she had more development.
I'd like to point out that I'm not saying she got no character development. I'm saying hers didn't change her as much as May's did. The reason I like May so much is how she changes throughout the series. With Dawn while she doesn't change as much she is still a decent character with interesting stories about her, I just don't think this episode was one of them.

While May and Dawn have their similarities they are very different characters and the only reasons they get compared so much are that they came one after the other and because they're both coordinators.

As for Cyber as I said it's really the way he makes his points/arguments that is the issue. The bashing is a part of this but behind all this I do see the occational good point that is the core of his argument but not enough attention is given to it.

ShinyVaati

100% Rebel Time Lord
I honestly couldn't help but enjoy Dawn's special episode more than Brock's. I know it didn't have as much going on in it as Brock's did, but something about it made me like it more. It might be that I like Dawn better Brock (which I do) so I only naturally prefer her's, although its probably that in Dawn's episode we see her advance and move on by learning that's she's decided to go to Hoenn and compete there, and we see her leave Sinnoh behind and start a new journey. The episode was about Dawn and her next step in life.
We don't really get this in Brock's episode. Other than a nice battle or two, his episode seems more like yet another family crisis about the gym, not about Brock's own advancement. But this thread isn't for discussing that.

I found this to be enjoyable and I really hope we get a few more of these episodes sprinkled throughout the future.

Juputoru

M-m-m-m-onobear?!
Since Sushi's polite post didn't seem to get the message across, let's try a firmer sentence in size 5 font!
Stop arguing about May and Dawn here. This thread is for discussing the episode, not for character arguments.

EDIT: Now that I've looked through the thread more thoroughly, I have this to add:
Do not ask where to find the episodes. This includes youtube, subs, and portals directly into your brain. If you didn't see the episodes as they aired on Thursday, then there's no legal way for you to see them now. That means there's no way to see them that you're allowed to discuss on SPPf.

We will now return to my regularly scheduled commentary/review/thing.
-Aw, they brought back Saikou Everyday just for this. :3
-It's morning, and Dawn's still in bed. Slacker.
-Wait, Piplup isn't Dawn! Where is she, then? Why, she's...practicing appeals with Cyndaquil! Yep, here's what's probably the last contesty thing we'll see in the anime. *sniff*
-Dawn's theme is playing. Because we never got to hear enough of Kimi ni Soba de throughout DP.
-Cyndaquil picked the wrong Pokemon to try bragging to. Piplup won't let anyone but Piplup be proud!
-Now Dawn and her mom are battling because...because!
-Dawn makes a pretty nice combination...which Johanna immediately destroys.
-Dawn and her mom talk about Zoey and the GF, then...Dawn says something that catches her mom off guard! What could this mean? Why it's...a combination of fire and water! Tucker would be proud...if he had any idea who Dawn was, anyway.
-And then the fire/water combo explodes for no reason.
-Apparently Cyndaquil and Piplup aren't getting along too well lately.
-Dawn has her sights set on Houen now! This contest thing has gone full circle! (she also mentions Wallace, which is a nice touch)
-A couple of people come in bearing veggies, and...that one guy has one hell of a combover.
-How did Cyndaquil even fit into that bag?
-And now for the best Professor in the entire series: ROWAN! He's busy...inspecting random Pokemon or something? Whatever it is, I'm sure it has some important purpose for SCIENCE!
-Rowan's lecturing Dawn about something. I have no idea what, but it's definitely a lecture.
-There's a new trainer, and she's...NERD! NERD! NEEEERRRRD!
-Chimchar resorts to violence in its attempts to be chosen!
-Chimchar escapes! This episode is seeming oddly familiar all of a sudden...
-Piplup escapes too. Deja vu levels increasing.
-You know, shouldn't someone be in the room with the new trainer as they decide on their starter? If only to prevent stuff like this from happening?
-We'll never see this random girl again, but her panicked attempt to point out what happened is funny enough that I like her already.
-Dawn and Piplup are all alone in the eyecatch. :(
-Random Girl seems to have heard of Dawn getting to the Grand Festival. Now if only random people had any idea how far Ash has gotten in various Leagues...
-Don't these starters have Pokeballs? Shouldn't Rowan have given them to Dawn? There's no reason they should be chasing Chimchar around like this!
-Turns out that NotDawn's!Piplup and Chimchar are caught in an Ariados web. Seriously? The writers seriously went there?
-...Dawn, you're seriously dexing Ariados? Do you somehow not remember this from your first day of adventuring?
-I have to say, a giant gridded web loaded with giant spiders that are out for blood is legitimately terrifying.
-Was it really necessary to give Dawn a seperate cutaway shot for each attack order she sent out? Oh well, at least all of her Pokemon are seeing some action here.
-Something is randomly psychically attacking Dawn and co! Oh dear!
-Wait, Ariados can do that?
-Now everyone is webbed up! But...uh...couldn't Cyndaquil burn off the webs just by firing up its back flames?
-Wait, Cynda is about to do something! It's...evolving. I guess that's a less-creative way to solve the problem.
-It's Kimi ni Soba de again, now with lyrics!
-I like how Dawn bothers to scan Quilava with her dex even though she's still wrapped in the webbing. That's dedication!
-...wait, that Ariados is purple! It's a shiny! How the hell did I not notice that before?
-And now Quilava just burns the webbing off.
-Goddamn, Eruption is powerful.
-The day is saved, and...Pokemon Symphonic Medley 2? That was unexpected, but I'll take it!
-Random Girl doesn't pick a starter(yet?), and Dawn rattles on about her team for some reason.
-And the ep ends with Dawn sailing off to Houen, never to be seen again(?).

I nitpicked the logic here a lot more than I did in Brock's episode, but it was a better episode overall(even if the recycled situation from DP001 was too cheesy for my tastes). We got to see all of Dawn's Pokemon one last time, and the ending for this ep was much more satisfying("Dawn's setting off on a new journey!" vs "Pewter Gym is saved! Again!").

Last edited:

pokemon fan 132

After watching this episode once more i must say that it wasnt bad at all as some make it out to be.Sure some things seemed like rehash but whole episode sended nice message letting viewers to know where is Dawn going setting her up for journey.We also finded that Dawn favorize Wallace making sense behind her decision of parting in Hoenn. Encounter with group of Ariados was ok having its interesting momnts and evolution of Cyndaquil was highlight of episode in my opinion.

Misty may not have done anything, but pre-Johto she was pretty good.

Well we all have our opinions,personally i liked her as character in Johto aswell.
Majority of complaints were for her not getting enough focus in first longer saga but as character she was well liked.

CliveKoopa

When did this episode come out? Has there really been new Chronicles episodes? Has this been aired in English and in the UK? I didn't even know there were new specials out until I noticed this thread.

Marbi Z

Cin-Der-Race!
I saw the episode pictures of this episode. When I first herd of it I thought it would feature Dawn and Brock together but they may have been talking about a future Special. Anyway, that future special better also come to the US and the rest of the world! You Japs better not hold out on the rest of the Pokemon fans!

Juputoru

M-m-m-m-onobear?!
When did this episode come out? Has there really been new Chronicles episodes? Has this been aired in English and in the UK? I didn't even know there were new specials out until I noticed this thread.
1)These episodes just aired in Japan last Thursday. They're not really part of Chronicles, and given how recently they aired in Japan, they're obviously not out in English yet.
2)Please don't post in episode discussion threads unless you've actually watched the episode in question. If you have a question about where a special's aired so far, go to the Single Anime Questions thread. (or look it up on Bulbapedia; they list the original Japanese and US airdates for everything. If it hasn't aired in the US yet, it probably hasn't aired in the UK yet)

Lucas.G

Veteran Member
Why there werent eposodes like this one but about Misty or May journey?

quilava99

Derpity herp a derp
I can't wait to see Dawn's adventure in Hoenn.

CliveKoopa

There are no more specials announced. It seem to be a oneshot thing.

That's a shame. We didn't even get to see any Hoenn spin-offs.

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
That's a shame. We didn't even get to see any Hoenn spin-offs.

Don't listen to Cyber, he's jumping the gun, for all we know there could be more spread out throughout the Unova journey.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
DP ended back in September in Japan, so the longer we go away from that, the less relevant Dawn and even the DP series in general becomes. I could see her getting a bit of focus if R/S remakes ever happen, but even then they might just advertise R/S in the BW series like they did with HGSS last saga, and not focus on any in-Hoenn adventures.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
One reason why I enjoyed Dawn's special more than Brock's was because Brock has had alot of specials between him and his family with always trying to save that gym. As for seeing them both, I really don't want to think about it anymore. I'm just getting pretty tired of the same stuff over and over.

Battra

Nice seeing Dawn go on another journey, especially with her whole team. Certainly be interested in seeing what she catches in Hoen when they decide to have her guest appear in Best Wishes. Also cool seeing a Shiny Ariados.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I loved this episode, I find it funny how she scanned Quilava when she saw Ash`s Quilava not too long ago.