• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Day 1 DLC

Night Shadow

BRRAAP BRRAAP
As we all know, Day 1 DLC is pretty controversial. Many people feel that if the content is ready on launch day, it should be available on the disc. However, I'm actually someone who's for day 1 DLC. The matter of the fact is that between the game is being made on disc and the release of it, developers have nothing to do, so they work on content. So by the time they finish, the game still may not be out. This means that DLC is available, day 1 or not. Whether the developer releases it day 1 or three weeks later, it was still ready to go. However, some people want to be fed a fantasy and believe the content wasn't ready day 1. I'd rather have my DLC on day 1. For example, I bought ME2 like a year after launch and downloaded all the DLC immediately. Some of the DLC included Zaheed and Kasumi. I believe Zaheed was ready on day one (and free I think if you bought ME2 new) and Kasumi was released a couple months later. Now I'm sure if I got ME2 when it actually came out, I would have beaten it more than once by the time Kasumi's DLC came out. And at that point, I wouldn't have been compelled to get it (luckily I wasn't in that situation because Kasumi is one of my favorite characters and I'm glad that I got to enjoy my ME2 experience with her). This is a big advantage for Day 1 DLC, you get to enjoy the DLC in your initial experience rather than later (when your opinion of the game has solidified). So what is everyone else's opinion (I'm already assuming that everyone is going to think I'm crazy for defending day 1 DLC)?

Rezzo

Occasionally
$60 is already a lot for a new game at retail price. If publishers are going to find sneaky ways to charge more for their game then it doesn't make a difference. DLC should add on to a game instead of being part of the game.

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
The problem I have day one DLC is knowing that this content could have been planning to be in the disk, but it got cut in favour it being a DLC only and that bugs me since I don't want to pay any extra money on top the money I paid for the game.

I am also not a fan of Disk locked DLC, the code is in the disk and I paid for the game and code so I should be entitled what is mine without paying up the extra cash.

The matter of the fact is that between the game is being made on disc and the release of it, developers have nothing to do

Can I have some Serebii Confirmation on this? I'm pretty sure that even when a large project is done, there's still PLENTY of work to do. It's like that in every industry for every company. The employees don't just kick back and go "WHELP, WE JUST FINISHED THAT, LET'S DICK AROUND FOR AWHILE AND NOT DO ANY OTHER REAL WORK, EH?"

I'm not fond of it, really, especially when they spread it around through different sources. "Oh, if you buy the game here you get this item, but if you buy it HERE you get this in-game item AND something physical, but over in THIS place you get an entire campaign! Oh, and some of this stuff MIGHT be available in, like, two years, but you have to pay extra for it instead of getting it for free like at the start AIN'T THAT SOMETHIN'?"

Yeah, I've bought from certain stores just for the bonus in the past, yeah, but it wasn't really worth it in the end. They released the content later on, and it was pretty pointless content, anyways. Maybe a costume for a character, or something really stupid that was once something unlockable on the disc. Today's DLC (especially the crap released on Day 1) is usually just junk to milk more money out of stupid consumers. Oh, here's a snazzy version of a gun that you can get later on in the game. Oh, have a pretty hat that does absolutely nothing but break the lore of the game, it's totes legit. What's that, you want an additional campaign, HOW ABOUT TIME TRIALS OR A MAP PACK FOR A TACKED-ON MULTIPLAYER.

For the most part, it's just garbage.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
The Tales series does Day 1 DLC right. Letting you buy things such as accessories/levels or extra Gald, but none of being required to beat or fully enjoy the game since just about everything is available after playing trough times.

The matter of the fact is that between the game is being made on disc and the release of it, developers have nothing to do, so they work on content. So by the time they finish, the game still may not be out.

I believe Zaheed was ready on day one (and free I think if you bought ME2 new) and Kasumi was released a couple months later.

Yeah I'm sure if you had finished your job you'd work more instead of taking a well deserved break. "I just finished my 8 hour shift, instead of going home I'll do another 2 hours because I'm bored."

Also Zaheed was a bonus for buying the game new. Which I think is fair for them to do as it rewards people that buy new copies instead of used much like the online passes EA has. I don't know why Kasumi is even relevant as she isn't day 1 DLC.

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior
I miss 10 years ago, when I bought a game and it was complete. It felt like when I purchased it I wasn't missing out on anything, and got my money's worth.

These days most games cost more for less content, and then charge even more for added bits to squeeze any remaining money out of players.

Not to mention 10-20 years down the line most of this added content and online multiplayer will be locked out of games forever.

Tetsuya

I miss 10 years ago, when I bought a game and it was complete. It felt like when I purchased it I wasn't missing out on anything, and got my money's worth.

These days most games cost more for less content, and then charge even more for added bits to squeeze any remaining money out of players.

Not to mention 10-20 years down the line most of this added content and online multiplayer will be locked out of games forever.

ThisthisthisthisTHIIIIIIIS.

I'm not a big fan of DLC in general, not just Day 1 DLC. And that is the main reason why. If I give you $60 for a game, I expect to be getting the whole thing, not half of it. Maybe it's the completionist in me, but when developers sell so much as a costume as DLC, I get extremely annoyed, because not only do I have to give them more money (Tales of Graces f is horrible about this- $4 for a single costume), a few years from now, all of that will be taken offline, and we all lose what we paid large amounts of money to have in the first place. It's the main reason I don't play MMOs, although at least console games don't force you to pay a fee to keep playing a game you already paid full price for.

At least, right now they don't.

Mankanshoku Mako

This is the major reason I dislike DLC in general. I could go into a used game store today and buy a copy of Super Mario 64, and get the same experience someone buying it new would have back in 1996. Someone buying Call of Duty: World at War in 2025 for the PS3/360 will have no access to the Map Packs that were desperately needed to bring more variety to the games very repetitive multiplayer, and they'll pretty much miss out on the Nazi Zombies mode entirely, which was actually the game's biggest selling point.

As far as Day 1 DLC itself however, I don't like that at all. The vast majority of Day 1 DLC are things that could've easily been included on the disc, and a lot of the time is just things like alternate costumes and such that the companies want to nickel and dime you for.

ForeverFlame

I don't mind Day 1 DLC, but I really don't like the idea of an incomplete game. It's ridiculous to actually cut (or have a lack of) content in a game in order to add it as DLC later on (like a certain 13-2nd installment in a popular franchise).

Crimsonlink

Crimson Champion
I'm ok with certain parts of day 1 DLC. Not the likes of Crapcom locking out characters but certain day 1 DLC such as an ultimate armor/weapon/ability that you can CHOOSE to purchase to make your journey in the game more fun.

Part of the problem with day 1 DLC is the price of the content and what they offer. Locking out characters is pointless and serves to only make consumers angry. Adding small things you don't need in the game but can choose to buy is nice.

Looking back at Mass Effect 3's "From Ashes" day 1 DLC. I was alright with it.

Because when I played ME3 I didn't bother getting Javik on my squad until my 2nd playthough. Although he added to the game, overall he wasn't needed. I don't think it was worth $10 though, maybe $5.

This is just my opinion of day 1 DLC now, whether its gets better or worse remains to be seen. Lets hope that Crapcom does not lead companies down their path or the gaming industry might burst and fall apart.

Charizardfan900

Charizard King!
I think if any thing being made before the game launches should be on the disc. Make DLC after the game launches when you have feedback to work on.

Also I hate it whencompanies have things locked thats on the disk and you must pay 'DLC' to get it. I PAID FOR THE DISK, I SHOULD GET ALL THATS ON THE DISC

A good example of this is Mass Effect 3.

Day 1 DLC is wrong because Its simply taking away from the final product.

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
Day One DLC is really insulting. We're consumers paying for the entire game, and they charge us more for additional stuff that can already be implemented into the game? It's a disgusting cash-grab, and they could at least be more subtle about it.

Night Shadow

BRRAAP BRRAAP
DLC should add on to a game instead of being part of the game.

I agree. Deus Ex:HR did that well. FFXIII-2 did not do it well.

The problem I have day one DLC is knowing that this content could have been planning to be in the disk, but it got cut in favour it being a DLC only and that bugs me since I don't want to pay any extra money on top the money I paid for the game.

That's not always true. Think of DLC as deleted scenes, the developer wanted it in the game, but didn't have enough time/money. At least in ME3's case, From Ashes started production when Bioware started to debug the game.

I am also not a fan of Disk locked DLC, the code is in the disk and I paid for the game and code so I should be entitled what is mine without paying up the extra cash.

I agree with you on that. What Capcom did was pathetic. However in Bioware's situation, technically some data was on the disc for compatibility issues. But the mission, cutscene's, dialogue, and more are all on the 600+mb download. I'm going to post a link right below the next quote, and it relates to this exact topic.

Can I have some Serebii Confirmation on this?

How about a Cliffy B confirmation? http://www.gamespot.com/news/on-disc-dlc-an-ugly-truth-says-gears-of-war-designer-6370601

I don't know why Kasumi is even relevant as she isn't day 1 DLC.

Because since she wasn't Day 1 DLC, she felt tacked on. However, if you played it like I did, and got her during the first run-through, she fits in the game.

Maybe it's the completionist in me, but when developers sell so much as a costume as DLC, I get extremely annoyed, because not only do I have to give them more money

No one is forcing you to buy Xbox avatar costumes and why would you even buy them in the first place?

I think if any thing being made before the game launches should be on the disc. Make DLC after the game launches when you have feedback to work on.

What about if they don't have time to put it on the disc but they have enough time to release it on launch?

Also I hate it whencompanies have things locked thats on the disk and you must pay 'DLC' to get it. I PAID FOR THE DISK, I SHOULD GET ALL THATS ON THE DISC

That's reasonable.

A good example of this is Mass Effect 3.

No it's not because I already explained the situation a couple paragraphs up.
Here's Bioware's word for it
http://www.neoseeker.com/news/18564-mass-effect-3-from-ashes-dlc-found-on-disc-bioware-explains/

Day 1 DLC is wrong because Its simply taking away from the final product

Not really, it adds to it because you play it during your initial experience rather than playing it post game.

I get the feeling everyone has roughly the same opinion with the exception of Night Shadow.

I mentioned that in the OP.

Day One DLC is really insulting. We're consumers paying for the entire game, and they charge us more for additional stuff that can already be implemented into the game? It's a disgusting cash-grab, and they could at least be more subtle about it.

Not always the case as seen with Bioware, but Capcom did it blatantly.

Abstinence Pistols

Bingo.
The employees don't just kick back and go "WHELP, WE JUST FINISHED THAT, LET'S DICK AROUND FOR AWHILE AND NOT DO ANY OTHER REAL WORK, EH?"
Hey, you've played Bethesda games before, right?

Waldorf

ungrateful
Capcom is one of the most maligned companies in regards to their approach to DLC (ONE MILLION STORE-EXCLUSIVE COSTUMES!), but in a way it's a continuation of a model that was already in place before this. Buying updated versions of games with new characters, balance tweaks, features and whatnot (especially in the fighting game scene) was quite common even when video games were largely only sold physically.

My problem with DLC is its impermanence which seems to be a pretty common sentiment in this thread; for a collector, owning a game with 30% of its content existing only online, where it will eventually be unavoidably gone, is pretty much a nightmare. Maybe this will be offset by growing consciousness about how some games deserve to be preserved (deluxe/anniversary collections and whatnot) which will ensure that the most beloved and critically lauded games are available with all their content on-disc (the big problem here is that there's no unified platform to play games on in the first place), but that's not so reassuring given the current state of video game journalism, and look no further than the Silent Hill HD collection for astounding disasters in HD "remastering" of classics.

I suppose this will all become a moot point once games are distributed solely online, but that's still quite some time away and the current generation of gamers isn't ready to perceive the current DLC model as "fair."