• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Day and Night

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedBlastoise

Cerulean Blues
Generation 2 introduced the day and night cycle. How did you first react to this new feature? Did you like how some Pokemon only appeared during certain times of day? What time of day did you like best?

I liked mornings the most since the colors were brighter and I liked how Ledyba appeared in the mornings in Silver.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I liked nighttime in G/S/C the most since it was interesting to hear different wild battle music, and I liked how certain species of Pokemon like Delvil (Houndour) and Itomaru (Spinarak) only appeared at night.

Leonhart

Imagineer
KyogreThunder said:
I really liked this addition, as it actually reflected the real life ecosystem in that certain Pokemon only appeared during certain times of day, such as Hoothoot only showing up at night.

Speaking of Hoho, I liked how if you used Headbutt on a tree at night, you'd often find sleeping Pokemon among them. I thought that was a nice touch since it showed that Pokemon do indeed sleep in the wild.

TwilightBlade

I thought it was a fun little change from the Gen 1 games but it didn't do much for me. I thought that night time looked too dark and I didn't like the change in wild Pokemon that happened based on the times of day. :[

Leonhart

Imagineer
TwilightBlade said:
I thought it was a fun little change from the Gen 1 games but it didn't do much for me. I thought that night time looked too dark and I didn't like the change in wild Pokemon that happened based on the times of day. :[

It was darker than it should've been if you played G/S/C on the Game Boy Color or the original Game Boy Advance since they lacked a backlight, but I thought that nighttime looked fine if you played the games in a well-lit room or on the Game Boy Advance SP.

Sakuyamon

I liked the day time because I could actually see what the heck was going on clearly. Night had too much dark tint on the screen so it was harder to see. Also I didn't like the night time wild battle music because it sounded like something was missing you know?

Leonhart

Imagineer
Sakuyamon said:
Also I didn't like the night time wild battle music because it sounded like something was missing you know?

It was purposely different from the normal daytime battle music and even sounded more delicate to fit the nighttime mood. I thought it was fascinating how the composer of the G/S/C soundtrack decided to change the song to make it more fitting for that time of day.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Ubermuk said:
It was cool to play the game at night and one of the things that GF could've done to make the time of day matter more was include more trainer battles that depended on the time of day.

That would've been neat. I remember that a couple of Policeman trainers could only be fought at night in G/S/C, but that was all. Game Freak should've included a daytime equivalent of those characters in Gen II.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I think I was just more excited that the game had real-time going on, so the PM hours after 6 getting dark was exciting for me. But it kinda freaked me out a bit, too, just imagining the player character stumbling around in the dark looking for Pokémon lol.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Venomshock said:
Night time was my favorite part of the day in GSC. One complaint that I have is Spinarak and Ledyba shouldn't have been version exclusives. Both Bug Pokemon should've been available in both games to take advantage of the day and night system.

While I liked how the Itomaru (Spinarak) line was meant to represent nighttime, I do feel that it would've been more convenient if it had been available in Silver version and not just in Gold version, because then it would've been yet another Pokemon [like Hoho (Hoothoot)] that you had to go out and find during a specific part of the day in both games.

TwilightBlade

One complaint that I have is Spinarak and Ledyba shouldn't have been version exclusives. Both Bug Pokemon should've been available in both games to take advantage of the day and night system.

That would've made getting them alot easier but I didn't have a big problem with them being exclusive to different times of day. Ladybugs in real life are active in the mornings and daytime while spiders are more active at night, so hey at least it made sense. :]

WalesNote

Love night time in the games, was always cool that time passed and it felt like you were actually journeying for long periods of time. Always being daytime is just bleh. Still don't get why they removed it for gen 3.

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
They removed the day/night cycle to avoid running down the carts' internal batteries.

Generation 2 introduced the day and night cycle. How did you first react to this new feature? Did you like how some Pokémon only appeared during certain times of day? What time of day did you like best?

I liked mornings the most since the colors were brighter and I liked how Ledyba appeared in the mornings in Silver.
No, I did not like the feature, for the reason I bolded. It was hard enough to catch 'em all without having to play at a certain time of day.

Last edited:

Haizumi

Yes, it's awesome how night appears on G/S. I think the trees, the grass, the sea and the overall blackness surrounding everything overnight were soothing to the eye and the spirit.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Locking this, as it was originally bumped from earlier this year.

Feel free to make a new version of the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.