• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

DBII: Sacred Fire (Advanceshipping)

EarthBorn

ConVulATiON
A/N:
Reviews first!

Mayziken: Yeah, I know how slow the advanceshipping has been. I'm just waiting for the opportunity to present itself.

Shadow-saur: Oww *is flushed*. Like I said, sorry about the slow shippyness. I want to make it as realistic as possible...considering how dense Ash is and all. It is an adventure story, but the shipping is a primary elements, as Meir explained.

lunarshadow: Thanks. The reason why you got to see Meir battling so late was that I wanted to make him different. Not just different, but akin to an unconventional genius. I had to think of a right circumstance for that, and I finally got an idea.

What happened to Ash’s Lucario?

Here’s your answer.

/ / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / /

Chapter Eight: Setting Off

\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \

The room was rather well lit, but contained an air of uncertain malice. Ornate designs hung behind the sole desk present there, giving a distinct hypnotic effect to those who saw them: the clients, not the employer. On the desk, there was a sleek laptop, piles of paper and a few paperweights to go along with them. This was the desk of the infamous Giovanni, former leader of the Viridian City Gym and the current head of the Team Rocket crime syndicate.

The aforementioned “boss”, a man in his late forties with an intimidating glare and finely combed hair sat on his cosy chair, sighing briefly with exasperation. He usually never showed any outward emotions (except anger), but the case here was rather different. He was going to meet that team in a few minutes, and they were always rather annoying to deal with. The odd trio failed at nearly everything they tried, the only problem was he couldn’t remove them from his organisation. The reason for that was a secret he had worked hard to keep: not even the said team knew anything about it.

Then again, they were never really the thoughtful type either.

Mentally sighing, he turned to his large feline Pokémon. His Persian had helped him relieve the rather large amount of stress he accumulated because of his volatile position. He was thankful for that brief moment of relaxation while he stroked the cat-like Pokémon, but gave a silent groan as he heard three knocks on the door.

‘Come in.’ He said firmly. The door opened silently, as two guards along with the trio of Jessie, James and Meowth walked into the room. The two Rocket grunts wore expressionless faces, while those of the trio were quite lively with nervousness and agitation etched into their features.

Giovanni nodded to the two guards who promptly vacated the office without another word. Hearing the door lock behind them, the Rocket boss narrowed his eyes focusing on the trio, causing them to give away an audible gulp.

‘I’m well aware,’ he said, stroking his Persian, ‘of your reported spying on other Team Rocket members.’ He paused, the silence emphasizing his words. ‘Don’t let me catch you at it again.’

Frozen in fear, the trio merely gave a small nod, unable to respond verbally.

Their boss smirked. ‘I have an important assignment for you.’ He said, pulling several printed papers out of his desk. ‘You are our only members who have an extensive...ah, experience in the Sinnoh region.’ He looked up, anticipating the eager expression which this particular team used to wear whenever they were entrusted with something. To his surprise, he found out that he was simply returning a respectful glance from the members of the team, nothing more.
‘I warn you, should you fail, you will be kicked out of Team Rocket for good.’ Giovanni added sternly. ‘Is that understood?’

‘Yes sir!’

‘Good. Here’s what I need you to do...’

/\/\/\/\/\/\

The gentle rush in and around the harbour announced the arrival of Cherrygrove City. Although this settlement didn’t even register to the size of the thriving metropolis they had left earlier, Cherrygrove was still a great starting point for many prospective young trainers who were taking their first steps on their Pokémon journey. Of course, with the news about the three-month break, there were hardly any of them around right now.

The official-looking Pokémon League ferry was a small, but well equipped boat. It had brought the group here from across the continent, clinging to the shallow waters near the shore. Despite its rather impressive speed, the ferry took a good six hours to transverse the southern Johto waters. The Seagallop ferries were considerably faster, but even they took two hours to reach the Sevii islands south of the main continent.

All that time had passed pretty quickly for our group, as they were engaged in continuous conversation throughout the journey. Ash, Dawn and Brock recounted their Sinnoh adventures, including everything from the mysterious events at the Space-Time tower, being transported to Giratina’s dimension, and some of the depressing parts of their foray too, such as Dawn’s tough time in the contest circle during the beginning of their journey. May told them a little bit about her time in Johto as well.

/\/\

’After my first win in Floroma town,’ Dawn recounted, frowning slightly, ‘I lost all the contests I entered. If it wasn’t for these guys here,’ she nodded to Brock and Ash, ‘and May giving advice over the phone, I would never have made it to the Grand Festival.’

‘Aww...really Dee-dee!’ Drew said mockingly, getting a rather harsh glare in return. She knew it was just some harmless fun, but if Ash ever found out what that meant...she’d have to endure endless teasing. That wasn’t good for her health.

‘Well, you’re lucky Dawn.’ Bliss said, smiling at the two coordinator’s antics. ‘A lot of people never make it to their first Grand Festival.’ She paused, half-closing her eyes. ‘I didn’t.’

‘Wha – Really?’ May exclaimed and the others gasped. This was surprise indeed – the world’s best coordinator had failed to make it to her first festival?

Bliss laughed softly. ‘A lot of people assume that you’ve always been the best at what you do if you’re on the top, but it isn’t true, at least with me. The truth is, I didn’t want to become a Coordinator – I wanted to be a Pokémon Breeder.’ She nodded to Brock, who was listening with interest.

‘So what made you change your mind then?’ He asked, intrigued. He was a Trainer once too, although he had always aimed to become a Breeder since his childhood, an after-effect of dealing with the rather large family he had to look after. That’s probably why he was so attached to his home: he hadn’t really travelled the world before he joined Ash.

‘I participated in a few contests back then, but it wasn’t for the ribbons.’ Bliss replied, closing her eyes in recollection. ‘I did it to examine the way different coordinators raised their Pokémon; to improve my skills as a Breeder. That is, of course, until a very persistent young man forced me into the contest circuit, and I haven’t looked back since.’

‘That wasn’t me, by the way.’ Meir said, grinning. ‘It was her best friend, Lance, who was also her first travelling companion.’

‘So I couldn’t enter the Johto Festival on my first try, although I had never really taken coordinating seriously before Lance joined me, so I didn’t get much time to fulfil my ribbon requirements. At that time, you needed four ribbons to enter the festival, although the number of contests being held was also lower.’ Bliss sighed, as if recalling something. ‘I went so Sinnoh while Lance went to Hoenn, and met these two, forming an ultimate team of sorts.’ She grinned as Meir and Cynthia flinched as they mentally recalled the memory of their first meeting.

‘Travelling with two hyperactive, overly enthusiastic adolescent girls, hell-bent on conquering Sinnoh was...
really troublesome.’ Meir muttered sarcastically, before he bit his tongue. He certainly didn’t want the two women to hear that and fortunately, they didn’t.

‘We’ll tell you all about that later, Bliss.’ Cynthia said, nodding. Her soft grey eyes met May’s who looked back at the Sinnoh Champion in a mildly cute way. ‘What I’d like to know now is how your journey through Johto went May. It must have been hard travelling by yourself after all those adventures you had together as a team.’

May pouted her lips in a frown. ‘It was a little hard at first,’ she said, before breaking into a smile, ‘but I managed to go about fine later on. I lost my first contest here, but managed to win the other five I took without much of a problem, even though the last one was kinda tough.’ She paused and pondered a bit more before continuing. ‘I’d always have a chat with Ash, Brock and Dawn once a week though, as well as Mom and Dad.’ She turned to Ash and gave him a warm smile. He returned it. May had to ignore the sudden imbalance se sensed in her stomach. ‘Ash really helped me out of some tight spots back there. Dawn and I used to discuss contests and well –‘ she turned a little red, ‘- girl stuff. Brock gave me a lot of advice on cooking too. I guess I got on okay after that, and finished my contests here pretty quickly.’ May stopped again, thinking. She had become a little more reflective after her little stint in Johto, but she still had pretty much the same personality. That was something that wouldn’t change so easily either. ‘You know the rest.’ She finished, deciding that there was nothing much to tell them.

‘Hey what about me?’ Drew said looking hurt.

‘Come on, we weren’t going to leave you out now, were we?’ Meir smirked.

It was then that their ferry sounded a horn, announcing their arrival in a harbour. The group got up and looked out of their small windows as the sight of the Cherrygrove harbour met their eyes.

‘You knew we’d arrived, didn’t you?’ Drew accused Meir, although he was rather amused. The latter just laughed.

‘You’ll get your chance. Besides we haven’t told you our stories yet, so you could tell us later. I’m sure Cynthia, Dawn and Brock would like to hear it when you’re together in Coronet.’

Drew sighed but nodded, slowly getting up. His emerald green hair looked rather gloomy in the dark, and silently walked out onto the deck where the other teens followed him. The adults, however lingered back for a while, watching them go.

‘Cynth, be sure to transmit in case of anomalous behaviour from any one of your team. I trust you know the frequency?’ asked Meir. The blond trainer nodded.

‘Nine-eight-eight megahertz. That’s your direct Rangernet link isn’t it?’

‘Reception in Rainbow Valley might be a problem though.’ Bliss countered. ‘We’ll try out best to break through the perception filter.’ The three slowly began walking towards the teens.

‘You’ve got a point Bee, but remember: we’re the ones in uncharted territory, not her.’

Cynthia only smiled. ‘You’ve got each other - I don’t think you need to worry.’

‘I’m not worried about us.’ Meir said, stepping out into the sunshine. He motioned to where Ash and May were standing, leaning idly again the railings of the ferry. ‘I’m worried about them.’

Bliss smiled, gently taking Meir’s hand into her own. She leaned over into his ear.

‘Believe in them.’ She whispered, before guiding him to the rest of the group.

/\/\

The small docking station couldn’t boast of being crowded with passengers waiting for their cruise, or cargo standing by to be loaded into a massive container vessel. However, it did betray the feel of a harbour. The Wingull swayed with the ocean breezes as the silent thunder of the sea crashed down upon the harbour wall. The air was inexcusably saline as well as rich in moisture.

There was one more thing the small port could boast of. This was the spot where different people had parted their ways or reunited. This was the place where the dreams of a few were realised, or where some came back defeated.

At this moment, a farewell was being exchanged by two different groups, each made up of four different people. One contained a Pikachu, but the other boasted of a Piplup.

‘Well, I guess this is goodbye; at least for now.’ Meir said. ‘You’ll be heading north while we’re going south.’

‘Are you going to Hoenn?’ Brock asked, rather bluntly.

Meir chuckled. ‘Not that far south. It’s been nice meeting you guys though, we’ll see each other again pretty soon. Take care.’

Cynthia proceeded to give Bliss a hug, who asked her to look after herself and the others. She went on to do the same with Meir, who merely exchanged an understanding glance.

‘Bye Brock, I’ll be seeing you soon.’ Ash said, as his long-time friend gave him a onetime hug. Dawn proceeded to give him a high-five.

‘Finally, I get to be at peace after a whole year of watching your Gym battles.’ Dawn said sarcastically in her usual bubbly tone. She grinned and quickly gave Ash a hug, and followed with another one for May. ‘See you!’ She said, not trying to restrain any emotion from getting into her voice.

‘How are we getting to Sinnoh anyway?’ asked Brock, as he turned to Cynthia.

‘We take to train to Pewter first, which will take nine hours to get there, and we board a ship from Kanto.’ Cynthia replied automatically. Her expression quickly changed into a horrified one.
‘The train!’ She said, panicking. ‘Come on we have to get moving!’ The Sinnoh champion proceeded to drag her small sortie team with her, and the four trainers disappeared from sight within a minute.

Meir and Bliss sighed simultaneously, as if they were expecting this to happen. Ash and May looked at each other, confused at Cynthia’s rather reckless behaviour. Of course, this just went to show their lack of knowledge about the blonde trainer’s near-fanaticism about punctuality. The other odd thing was, their eye contact didn’t give a repulsive aural spark like before. It did, however made them fix their gaze at each other, and for some obscure reason, they couldn’t look away. An unspoken staring contest ensured.

‘Well, come on.’ Bliss said, as she gently nudged the two young trainers’ head, bringing them back to reality. She started walking, carrying herself a little differently now; her sapphire gaze had become slightly more intense in the process. The other three could sense the little spike in her Aural signature, one that immediately told them she was serious. ‘We need to find the Pokémon centre.’ Her gaze met Meir’s who nodded silently. ‘And after that, we need to start your Aura training.’

/\/\/\/\/\/\

‘Well, it looks like we made it on time.’ Brock said, collapsing into his seat. He peered into the window beside him, watching the surroundings gradually change as their train accelerated, gradually leaving Cherrygrove behind. He smiled internally, knowing that he’d be home in a few hours and after that, he’d be off on another adventure. The Breeder’s thoughts drifted towards Ash and May, and he couldn’t help but wonder what kind of challenge they would face. The revelations they were given a few days ago certainly explained a lot, but they also confused him. A small tinge of melancholy had taken up a small part of his thoughts...he knew that they could take care of themselves and also knew that two of the world’s most powerful trainers were trugging along, but it was that same thought that stood like a forbidding warning at the back of his head.

What could possibly be so important as to warrant their personal intervention?

Furrowing his eyebrows, the tanned breeder was so caught up in his thoughts that he didn’t notice Cynthia watching him intently – as if she was trying to read them. Only the background chatter of Dawn and Drew chatting amicably registered in his subconscious.

‘Don’t worry about them.’ Cynthia told him quietly. Brock snapped back to reality as he looked up, identifying the source of the voice.

‘I know what you’re thinking. I won’t lie to you and say that they’re not in any danger, but they’ll be fine.’

‘Well, they certainly seem to be getting closer...’ Brock said, trailing off. He smiled and nodded.

‘They’ll take care of each other.’ Cynthia completed. By this point, the two younger coordinators had stopped chatting and were listening to the conversation.

‘I know that they will be fine – no need to worry about them, but what about us?’ Dawn asked, her voice betraying a tone of innocent inquisitiveness. She closed her electric blue eyes for a moment, hoping that her friends would be fine. However, unlike Brock, she took to the viewpoint that if they were going with Meir and Bliss, they would be alright. At the same time, Dawn realised that getting the Platinum Orb from Mount Coronet would hardly be a small job either. Unknown to her, Drew was thinking along the same lines while absently gazing out of the window as the fields rushed pass then.

‘I have a plan of course...but all that in due time.’ Cynthia replied. The train thundered on, leaving behind the glare of the setting sun.

/\/\/\/\/\/\

Afterthought:

Okay, Lucario couldn’t make it. He will in the next chapter though, and I’m going into serious Advanceshippy mode as well.

The “real” story begins now.

Also, “Bee” is Bliss’s nickname, one that Meir and Lance both call her by. It’s akin to Dawn’s “Dee-dee”.

Mayziken

Advanceshipping<3
Review chapter 8: Setting Off

Not much to say about this chapter, it's just a nice filler chapter there nothing big really happens

I'm really looking forward to reading your Advanceshipping moments

Oh, almost forgot: please don't end your fic the same way as Matkin22 did with his fic Final Challenge... Please promise me that you won't do that..

Last edited:

lunarshadow

Hadou Aprentice
Oh, almost forgot: please don't end your fic the same way as Matkin22 did with his fic Final Challenge... Please promise me that you won't do that..

Heh, you can say that again. :p Well, if you must, I have no objection. Final Challenge was great regardless of the ending in my opinion.

Where the heck was Lucario!? You might just want to edit that post so that you don't get any flamers saying you lied. :p

Now about the actual chapter, I noticed that you seemed hesitant to include the hugs in there. I know just as much as you do that they've never had any hugs in the Anime whatsoever, probably as to prevent any instant "cannonizing" of a ship or whatever. Still, I think it was a nice touch.

Let's see where this goes...

Mayziken

Advanceshipping<3
Heh, you can say that again. :p Well, if you must, I have no objection. Final Challenge was great regardless of the ending in my opinion.

I really loved Final Challenge too, it's just that I don't now if I can take another one like that, but if EarthBorn do the same ending it would be much much more detailed and describing:D

Edit: Rank UP:)

EarthBorn

ConVulATiON
@Mayziken: Don't worry. Again, I repeat my promise of a happy ending...if I manage to write it that is. :D
Still, don't expect the story to have no pain/dark moments...there will be a few.

A/N: Unfortunately, this slow update pace is here to stay for a while. Hope you guys don’t mind.

Chapter Nine: Reconciliation

Ash yawned, lifting one had towards his left eye and rubbing it, while the other supported his weight against the soft mattress of his bunk bed. Cherrygrove City only had one Pokémon Centre, but it was large enough to accommodate two rooms for their four-man squad. Of course, it helped that two of them were the best trainers in the world, and one of them had recently won the Sinnoh League tournament, the fourth being a well known coordinator.

The soft yellow mass of Pikachu sensed its trainer heat slowly moving away, and it opened a tired black eye. The moonlight was still at large, swarming the cool environment of the small city in a pale, silky glow. However, the faint rays of the Sun were fast catching up, evidencing the arrival of daybreak.

Stifling another yawn, Ash took a glance at the digital clock kept on the small table beside the bed. He was in the bottom bunk this time, with May on the one above him; not that any of them minded either way. Staring at the glowing letters, he internally recorded an hour-minute notation of six o’clock. Giving himself a mental yelp, the chocolate-eyed trainer leaped out of bed, and rushed into the bathroom, only to find the door locked. However, the door opened a second later, revealing a freshly dressed May, her brunette hair still wet from the shower.

‘Took you long enough, Ash.’ she giggled, making eye contact. Sensing Ash’s need to hurry, and later giving the digital chronometer a quick glance, May sidestepped pushing a still-drowsy Ash inside. ‘Hurry up or we’ll be late!’ The coordinator yelled as the door snapped shut. Shaking her head at her friend’s (rather cute) antics, she made her way around the room, only to be pounced upon by a half-asleep Pikachu. May immediately tensed at the sudden addition of weight, but relaxed upon feeling the electric rodent’s soft fur brushing against her cheek.

Walking towards her belongings, May quickly, but efficiently packed all her necessary items in her fanny pack, securing it around her waist. She wouldn’t admit it, but Ash was right about how much time she used to take for getting ready. It didn’t take any more than seven minutes now, but that was enough time for Ash to (apparently) brush his teeth, take a shower and get dressed while he was in the bathroom. Stepping out onto the carpeted floor, the trainer took a few deep breaths to calm himself after the flurry of activity his body had just handled. After he decided that everything was in place, he shot May a semi-annoyed look, clearly displeased by the lack of effort to wake him up. The latter just shrugged.

‘I’m not your mother, Ash. And besides,’ May said sweetly, before breaking into a smile, ‘that look on your face was worth it.’

Ash’s expression didn’t change, causing May’s amusement to dramatically transform into an apology.

‘Um...sorry?’

‘Better.’ Ash replied, a grin slowly forming on his face. A second later, he was dashing out of the door. ‘Race you to the exit May!’

‘Hey, no fair!’ May protested, racing to catch up with him. A mere minute later, the duo found themselves at the door of the Pokémon Centre, but not before May crashed into Ash along with Pikachu, making the three of them fall on the floor in rather...compromising position. Without a word, the three separated, with Pikachu taking up residence on Ash’s shoulder. Suddenly, a rather familiar voice called out to them.

‘I’m going to pretend I didn’t see that.’

Embarrassed, the trio looked up to see Meir leaning against the wall, his eyes focused on a rather sleek PDA which he was operating with his fingertips. Smirking slightly, the champion tucked the little device back into his pocket, before glancing at the sky. It was a little cloudy, the humidity accented by their proximity to the sea, but that was alright. The weather was perfect for the outdoor training which he was going to introduce to the two young trainers. One of them was quick to notice the missing member of their group.

‘Where’s Bliss?’ May asked.

Meir raised an eyebrow before breaking into a smirk. ‘You tell me.’

‘Huh?’

‘Find her.’ Meir replied, gesturing with his hand. ‘She’s already at out training site. Lead the way!’ He paused to see their reactions. They looked confused at first, but both the teenagers soon realised what he was hinting at. Closing their eyes in concentration, Meir could help but think at how determined (and rather adorable) they looked, seeing their expressions and furrowed eyebrows. May was the first one to open her eyes, and Ash did so a second later, smiling.

‘Found her!’ Ash exclaimed cheerfully.

‘She’s that way.’ May said, pointing to the northeast.

‘Is she now?’ Meir asked, before following the teens. He didn’t need to tell them they were right just yet. He wanted them to be capable of judging something without knowing the answer...it was one of the things he needed to train them in if they were going to the illusionary Rainbow Valley in a few days. After he had promised himself, their parents and Bliss that he would look after them and he felt that getting to know their Auras better would help them.

After a minute’s sprint, they found themselves entering what seemed to be a rather large - although empty - park. The Pokémon Centre could be seen clearly in the background, hidden amongst a fairly large number of sakura trees. Bliss sat waiting from them under a particularly large Yoshino, which despite it not being the flowering season, seemed to wave it’s branches at the group rather gracefully. After all, trees like this were scattered all across Cherrygrove, as that was how the city had got its name years ago.

‘Took you long enough.’ Bliss said, glancing at the two younger trainers. Both muttered a silent apology, causing her to grin in amusement. ‘Come on, I wasn’t being serious!’

‘They’ll take a while to get used to your rather...unique personality, won’t they?’ Meir said, patting both the younger trainers on the head. They immediately tensed and then collapsed, falling to their knees.

‘Unh,’ Ash said, struggling to get back up. He grabbed May’s hand as both of them slowly got up, panting. ‘What was that?’

‘My bad, sorry!’ Meir said helping them up, carefully avoiding any skin contact. ‘I forgot what it was like when I couldn’t handle everything I was sensing.’

‘Huh?’

Bliss smiled, and lazily held up five fingers. ‘You have five senses,’ she explained, ‘Sight, Sound, Touch, Taste and Smell.’

‘Um, I think everyone knows that...don’t they?’ May asked, pulling herself back together as she clenched the green grass below her. She didn’t understand what just happened all of a sudden, but she understood that the two older trainers were explaining it right now.

‘Yeah, everyone does. It’s only when people talk about the “sixth sense” or whatever they call it, they’re wrong. At least, sensing Aura isn’t a “sixth sense”.’ Bliss said.

‘I don’t get it.’ Ash said sheepishly.

Bliss sighed, nodding to Meir who seemed thoughtful. ‘Ash, have you met someone with psychic powers?’
Ash vividly recalled the incident which still chilled him to this day. ‘Yes I have..she turned me and my friends into a doll back when I had started out in Kanto...’ He shuddered.

‘So you’ve met Sabrina then,’ Meir smirked, ‘I’ve heard the stories about how she was like before she finally became a responsible Gym leader. Anyway, the point is,’ he paused, ‘you were never really turned into a doll.’ There was a socked silence. May, who had never heard this story from Ash before, looked at him with an expression full of worry.

‘What are you talking about? I swear, we were all –‘

‘She was playing with your minds.’ Meir said, ‘It’s not possible to do that Ash: you’d die in an instant. The psychic arts are mainly illusions: very elaborate ones at that. All of you were trapped in your own minds until some other psychic user could rescue you. Do you understand?’

Ash nodded, albeit hesitantly. ‘A bit, but what about bending spoons and stuff?’

Meir tapped a finger on his temple, indicating the mind. ‘A psychic user’s brain is modified at birth. They can control brainwaves and magnetic fields, so they actually do bend spoons and can teleport, but they never really do any physical harm to any living body. But all that’s besides the point.’ he said, waving his hand. ‘What I’m trying to tell you is that using your natural ability to detect and manipulate Aura is quite different from the psychic arts or psychic attacks. It’s very real. You don’t actually get a sixth sense – you’re just combining your five senses together making it seem like you’ve gotten one.’

‘I get it now.’ May said tilting her head in thought. It kinda made sense, and she was relieved to know that her friend wasn’t actually turned into a doll. Ash nodded slowly, processing the information. He wasn’t entirely convinced, but it was better to think it the way he had just been explained.

‘What you’re going to learn isn’t going to give you that ability – you need to be born with it, but being Aware of your Aura will make you immune to any kind of psychic attack. With a little training that can be extended to your Pokémon as well.’

‘This brings us to the first stage of training: Awareness.’ Meir explained, holding up a finger to indicate the number. ‘This one usually takes a lot of time to achieve, but you two,’ he nodded at them, ‘have already completed it. This is because of the anomaly-variable thing which I told you guys about back in Goldenrod.’
‘The second stage is about control, called Reconciliation, and that’s what you’ll be learning today. It’s getting your brain used to all the extra information you sense all the time. This one occurs naturally, but we’ll be speeding it up as it may cause problems in Rainbow Valley.’

‘And, in case you’re wondering,’ Bliss interjected, ‘Meir didn’t invent these training methods by himself, so obviously, they don’t take a genius to understand them.’ Meir frowned, prompting Bliss to smirk, and wave her hand in apology. ‘Just kidding. Anyway, he and Cynthia dug up some old books from the Canalave Library back when we were in Sinnoh. They were originally written by the old Aura Guardians during the war which occurred centuries ago. We just modified the methods a little bit – and they do work!’

She nodded to her husband who walked over to her. Both of them sat down beneath the tree, cross-legged and back-to-back. They closed their eyes and began to concentrate.

‘This is step two.’ Meir announced. ‘It’s trying to keep track of the Aura of the entire city.’ The two younger trainers gasped at the difficulty of the task. Meir grinned, opening one chartreuse eye to look at them. ‘Don’t worry though, it’s not as difficult as it seems, and I think you’ll be able to do it in about two days.’ He smiled encouragingly.

‘Come on you two.’ Bliss spoke softly, ‘take this position. No more being uncomfortable around each other.’ Her lips betrayed the tiniest hint of a smirk as Ash and May looked a little embarrassed, but nevertheless adjusted themselves to the same position the senior trainers were in. Immediately, they began to feel that same sense of discomfort, except now they knew what it really was: sensory overload. They did as they were told and concentrated, making that tendril of thought extend further and further. Sure, it proved to be utterly exhausting, but it was incredible. To them, the other stood out as the brightest bacon in their mind until they wondered further taking in what can only be called a blinding bright hue of Meir and Bliss, who were sitting close to them. The last thing they sensed was Pikachu’s gentle “beep” before collapsing utterly, drifting into unconsciousness.

Bliss opened her sapphire orbs, and turned around to look at the younger pair, who were slumped over each other, looking utterly exhausted. Meir opened his eyes as well, and started walking towards them. He smiled. ‘They were at it for at least three minutes, that’s good.’ Bliss frowned.

‘Didn’t we manage six or so when we first did it?’ she asked.

‘We didn’t have two other strong Aura sources to deal with, Bee.’ Meir replied, before walking over to Pikachu, who looked confused. He took the yellow rodent in his arms and started rubbing its cheeks. The mouse immediately calmed down and gave a “chaa!” or delight. ‘This Pikachu seems to be special too – I guess it’s something to do with the fact that it’s been with Ash since the start of his journey.’

‘Yeah,’ Bliss said, her voice softening, ‘just like ...’ she trailed off and looked into Meir eyes which betrayed a hint of sadness as he gently let go of Pikachu, who promptly jumped on to his head. Immediately regretting her words she quickly walked over to him and gave him a hug from the back. ‘There wasn’t anything you could do, you know. It was natural...and besides, he was happy.’
Meir nodded and shook himself from his trail of depressing memories. He motioned to May and Ash, who were still out cold.

‘We need to wake them up.’ He said, regaining his mildly-cheerful demeanour.

Bliss pouted. ‘But they look so cute cuddled up like that!’

‘They won’t if Ho-oh’s has his way with them, you know that!’ Meir got up and stretched, with Pikachu still hanging on his head. He looked up towards it, seeing a flash of yellow before meeting his gaze with the Pokémon’s shiny black eyes.
‘Pikachu,’ Meir said before stopping next to Ash. ‘Would you mind giving your friends a gentle wakeup call?’

‘Pika!’ the rodent replied as it formed a gentle Thunderwave which, conducting its way through both Ash and May’s bodies, jolted their minds slowly back into the real world. The duo shuffled around, trying to push themselves up. They didn’t seem to mind their proximity, although both of them had a red-hue on their faces as they quietly got back into position.

‘Try again. I was never expecting you to get it on the first attempt anyway.’ Meir said, shrugging, while completely ignoring their light blushes. ‘You have to keep trying even if it’s strains you – otherwise your mind will never be able to handle the extra information.’

‘Is Dawn doing the same kind of training too?’ asked May.

‘No, she’s still a little young to do that – it’s best to do when you’re at puberty, like the two of you.’ Bliss replied. ‘You know what happened back in Sinnoh when she tried it, don’t you?’ The two nodded, shuddering from that near-death experience of being squashed by a flaming piece of metal, and their blue-haired friend’s subsequent exhaustion.

The sun made its way across the sky as the day passed, and their training session went on. They only stopped for lunch and the occasional bathroom break, but it proved to be a rather continuous affair. It wasn’t until there was an hour long break that ended when the sun began to set, did the group realise how very much exhausted they were. After all, Meir and Bliss had trained as well, but unlike their younger companions, they were able to visualize the entirety of Cherrygrove three times. That only made their own fatigue more apparent, although even Meir seemed to be satisfied with the progress they had made.

Yawning, Bliss got up from her cross-legged position, stretching the muscles which had become constricted after being confined to the same pose for the whole day. Cherrygrove proved to be slightly better than the sweltering heat of Goldenrod – but maybe that was just because of the rather lovely garden the four of them had enjoyed for the training. Nevertheless, the Johto summer sun hadn’t made the day very cool either. The weather, too, was pretty humid considering that they were so close to the ocean. The other three trainers rose from their positions as well, getting up and stretching their figures. Everyone was drenched in sweat, and would probably be emitting a rather unpleasant body odour if Bliss hadn’t warned them about coating themselves with deodorant beforehand.

‘Well, that it for today I guess.’ Bliss said, her eyebrows sagged in exhaustion.

‘Wait,’ Meir said, ‘One more thing.’ He turned to Ash. ‘Bliss told me that you have a Lucario? Do you have it with you right now?’

Ash nodded. Ever since he won the Sinnoh League he had decided to take some of his newly evolved and untrained Pokémon with him so that he could train them. Using them in rotation would be a good strategy for making sure that all of them reached their full potential. Cynthia had hinted at this strategy when he met her the second time in Celestic town. Anyhow, Bliss had warned him not to use his Lucario in battle for a while. Maybe he would get an answer for that now!

‘Good.’ Meir said, relieved. He didn’t want to bother with going to the centre and transporting it. ‘I need to ask you some questions, because I know that it evolved just a month or so ago.’ Again, Ash nodded as he reached for Lucario’s Pokeball. ‘Alright – when did the egg hatch?’

‘At the Sinnoh Grand Festival, um.. it was right about time when we met up with May.’ Ash replied. Meir grinned.

‘That confirms it then. Obviously, May’s presence had affected the hatching, although she wasn’t a complete variable back then, it must have done something.’ He paused. ‘Of course, hatching and evolving in a span of weeks has some bad consequences.’

‘No way! You can’t mean there’s something wrong with...’ Ash trailed off, looking sadly at Lucario’s Pokeball.

‘There is, but there’s also a way to fix that.’ Meir said. He took out a Pokeball and grinned, tossing it onto his left hand. ‘How about a little battle?’

Ash took a moment to register the fact the World Champion had challenged him to a battle. He suddenly didn’t feel tired anymore.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

A/N: I seem to keep postponing the Lucario explanation. At least I’ve set it all up now. :D

Don’t forget to review!

Last edited:

Shadow-saur

Monkeyshipping, ftw!
Great work, as always. :) Just one little thing I found:

‘What you’re going to learn isn’t going to give you that ability – you need to be born with it, but being Aware of your Aura will make you immune to any kind of psychic attack. With a little training that can be extended to your Pokémon as well.’
I think that 'aware' should be left un-capitalized.

Cute shippy-ness. I didn't quite understand how they were sitting when they were practicing, but I might have just missed it.

o_O May affected the development of Lucario? Can't wait to see how that works out.

Mayziken

Advanceshipping<3
Sorry for a very late review.......

Ah finaly a new chapter, but as long as you finish the story I'll be happy :)

It's a nice beginning to Ash and May's Aura training and it seems like Meir and Bliss are training Ash and May to work as one or are I far out on the field with this??

I hope Ash's battle with Meir are a good one. I also hope you will let May battle Bliss soon, but what I hope most for is a tag battle at the end of Ash and May's training where they battle Meir and Bliss. That would awesome, it's also a place you can get some or alot of shippyness in

Overall a great chapter as always, much details and a smooth flow :)

Stage On

Aura guardian
Wow, just wow! I've been reading all of Destiny bond 1 and 2 for the last few days and I have to say it's simply fantastic so far!

Mier and Bliss totally rock! The advanceshipping feels naturally paced so that it's developing as it goes along with out jumping straight to them being an out and out couple making out in a corner like some fics have a tendency to.

The battles (and just about everything else) are also super detailed!

Seriously what's not to love?

In any case I'm happily looking foward to more xd

EarthBorn

ConVulATiON
A/N: FINALLY! I tried posting this for a month here, but it wouldn't work. Uh. Next chapter will be up tomorrow.

/ / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / /

Chapter Ten: Awakening

\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \

Aura Guardians:

During the great global war of 1800, two hundred and forty-nine years before the initialization of Rangernet, there existed an enigmatic but humanitarian organisation known as the Aura Council. At its peak just before the resolution of the war, the Aura Council consisted of some hundred-odd members, collectively known as “Aura Guardians”, all from various different regions of the world. They are the first recorded association of Aura users, and indeed believed to be the first known authors on techniques to enhance quantum cognition: the thought process that is now known to allow humans and certain Pokémon to manipulate their surrounding energy.

It is an undisputable fact that the organisation existed long before the war began, perhaps as early as the 1700s, nearly a century before. The techniques of manipulation and special meditative states appear to be, without a doubt, extensively tested and refined over a period of time. The copies of the manuscripts and scrolls are distributed at various public libraries around the globe, although a majority of the originals are archived at the Planetary Library of Canalave City, in southern Sinnoh.

A further analysis reveals that the intricacies of Aura manipulation, as well it’s mathematical and quantitative understanding were unknown to the Aura Council, leading to the conclusion that the understanding of the Science was achieved mainly by trial and error as well as intuition. This reinforces the truth of the Aura Guardians as an ancient and slowly growing organisation, given their largely non-mathematical knowledge base.

Most of the Aura Guardians themselves are not believed to have been anomalies, except for a very low fraction of the total numbers. It is believed that the Council decreed tests to those who claimed to be worthy of learning quantum cognition. Due to their not being many anomalies, the Guardians had to undergo rigorous training in an effort to bring out their manipulative abilities.

It is a known fact that every last Aura Guardian and most of their partner Lucario were either killed or had sacrificed themselves during the war. This seems to be consistent with their philosophy of self-sacrifice and working for the betterment of Humanity and Pokémon. Indeed, the damage that would have ensured if the war had lasted without their intervention would have been cataclysmic. The Aura Council has been established as one of the first organizations that eventually led to the planetary unification of 2005, centuries later.

- Rangernet History Archive

/\/\/\/\/\/\

‘Okay Ash,’ said Meir, ‘this battle is a way to get Lucario up and running. You need to do this exactly as I tell you, understood?’

Ash nodded, numbly gripping Lucario’s Pokeball with his gloved hand. The other two took positions facing each other near the large Yoshino tree; Bliss went back to her place under the tree and invited May to sit down with her. The two coordinators relaxed as the trainers took their battle stances. Everyone was exhausted from the day’s ordeal – both mentally and physically. Aura sensing required every asset of the mind and body, and thus fatigued both.

‘Alright Ash,’ Meir said, ‘I have to somehow make sure that your Lucario wins this battle, but this is the only time you’re winning against me!’

‘We’ll see about that!’ Ash grinned, and threw the Pokeball. ‘Go, Lucario!’

The blue-black jackal-like creature came out. At a first glance, it was easy to notice that Ash’s newly evolved Lucario did not carry the air and authority that the species usually displayed. Instead, it’s pose was rather child-like and loose, and acted more like an overgrown Riolu rather than its truly evolved form. The Pokémon turned to face the trainer.

‘Lucario,’ Ash said, ‘I know you can’t use your attacks buddy, but just listen to Meir and we’ll get you fixed up alright?’

The Aura Pokémon gave Ash a playful nod. He turned to face the other trainer, who was scanning his appearance thoroughly. Meir mumbled under his breath and gave the Pokémon opposite to him an approving nod.

‘No physical deferments, slight personality backlash and inability to completely connect with Aura.’ thought Meir, his eyebrows slightly furrowed. ‘he did use that Aura Sphere back in Sinnoh though...it’s probably something psychological rather than an evolution defect.’ The trainer shook himself out of his thoughts, now knowing what to do.

A sudden gust of wind sprouted out spontaneously from all over the battle field. Everyone, Ash’s Lucario in particular, could feel the gentle pattern of an invisible silk as it flowed through the air. The wind seemed to weave into the silk as it transmitted what seemed to be a current of heat. The air seemed to get thicker, but not uncomfortably so. The temperature quickly settled at a cool and comfortable level.

‘Aura pulse.’ Meir explained shortly, taking out a Pokeball. This one was half yellow and half blue, but otherwise the same as an ordinary red-white Pokeball that most trainers possessed. It was merely a colour-change that identified the Pokeball containing the world champion’s Pokeball. Meir gently placed the Pokeball in mid-air as the invisible silk seemed to hold it right there, as if it was ignoring gravity completely.

‘Sirnight,’ he said, releasing his hold of the Pokeball, thereby allowing it to float in mid-air. ‘Realise!’ A flash of light revealed the tall humanoid form of a green-white Pokemon, as it serenely announced its name.

‘Gardevoir,’ Meir said, ‘We need to perform a psychic de-block on that Lucario.’ He looked into the Pokémon’s eyes. ‘Are you up for it?’

The psychic-type gave a small nod, turning to fix it’s gaze on the curious blue-jackal standing across the field.

‘Hey Meir?’ Ash called out. ‘Do you give your Pokémon nicknames?’

Meir chuckled at Ash’s observation. Most trainers didn’t give a nickname to their Pokémon because of the well known fact that it often confuses their fellow team-members or even the Pokémon themselves. For instance, a captured Pikachu would always be called a Pikachu by any person or Pokémon that happen to talk to it. Changing the name after a capture that may as well have been in the prime years of a Pokémon’s life was a bit of a problem, and the said Pokémon would have to go a rather costly therapy for renaming – which was done by a select few experts around the world. Meir definitely wasn’t one of them, nor were Bliss or Cynthia for that matter.

‘They’re not nicknames Ash,’ Meir replied, waving his hand in dismissal, ‘They’re codenames. I make my Pokémon remember them just like they’re made to remember attack names. I only started to give them these names after I became World Champion. You can say they’re a kind of security measure – my Pokémon only come out of their Pokeball if I say their codename first. It prevents any ... misunderstandings that would otherwise occur if someone finds out that my Pokémon are in hands other than my own. When I’m taking to my Pokémon, I always use their normal names.’

‘Oh, I get it now.’ Ash said, nodding. He paused. ‘So what am I supposed to do?’

‘May come over here.’ Meir said, motioning to the coordinator, who promptly hopped up and jogged towards him. Meir told her something softly which neither Ash nor Lucario could hear. She nodded slowly and stepped backwards so that the battle could finally start.

‘Can we start the fight now?’ Ash said impatiently, tapping his foot. His hands were curled in a fist – it was something he did out of habit whenever he was in a battle. It was his anchor of focus and determination.

‘Sorry to keep you waiting.’ Meir said, his demeanour changing quite suddenly. The feeling of an invisible silk hanging in the air reappeared with full force, wrapping itself around the combatants. ‘You have the honours, Ash.’

‘Alright! Lucario, charge in and try to use Aura Sphere!’ Ash commanded, remembering that his attack options were severely limited.

The Pokémon nodded and began to gather up the energy required for the move. It could be done, but it would take a long time due to the premature evolution. Meir frowned as he noticed the flaw in the attack.

‘The energy lobes – the four black projections on every Lucario’s head,’ he thought, ‘that seems to be the problem.’ Energy lobes were like antennas. They did the job of collecting dark energy from the surroundings – particles of matter that were invisible, but their effects could be felt as Aural waves. This was the enormous amount of energy that powered any Lucario’s attacks. The problem was, only two of the four lobes seemed to be operating. This was because a Riolu has only two energy lobes, and Ash’s Lucario didn’t seem to be able to access its new pair, a side effect of the premature evolution.

‘Gardevoir, Psychic.’ Meir said quietly. With a soft sound, the Embrace Pokémon glowed a pale violet, lifting her opponent into the air. Lucario was confused as his body hung a few feet off the ground, seemingly supported by nothing but air. He gave a growl as he felt the pressure on his skin increase and decrease, first slowly, then rapidly. The Aura Pokémon could feel a tingle at the sides of his head as it managed to slowly raise the two unused energy lobes. The unformed Aura Sphere glowed with a flash before exploding briefly, sending both the Pokémon flying before they managed to correct their balance. Bliss sitting beneath the tree gave a smile as she read her PDA. Lucario had managed to get all his lobes up and running. Now came the task of controlling that extra power.

Meir nodded at Ash who instinctively guessed what he had to do.

‘Alright Lucario, try another Aura Sphere!’

With a mighty grunt, the blue-black Pokémon brought forth its hands, pouring energy into their intersection. The blue ball now reached a good size, but it was wildly unstable. Lucario struggled to focus as his opponent’s Psychic attack was still disrupting his ability to concentrate. Luckily, the sheer energy that he drew from the surroundings was enough to break the psychic barrier that Gardevoir had formed around him. With a rippling noise, the two Pokémon fell back to the ground as the unstable Aura Sphere exploded in mid-air. The battlers were unfazed at their crash-landing and simply got up again despite their weakened state.

‘May!’ Meir called out. The young coordinator nodded as she quickly sat back on the ground in the meditating position she had been taught in the morning. It was a simple, but brilliant idea. Since Lucario’s premature evolution was probably triggered by the reaction to May’s developing Aura, it could be given the same stimulus which would act as a metaphorical “key”, which could proceed to “unlock” the various aspects of his brain and congenital abilities. A pale blue glow around the Pokémon seen in the light of the setting sun was a confirmation that the plan was working. While May was unknowingly merging her Aura with Ash in Sinnoh, Lucario, then a Riolu was using it as stimulation as it gathered energy for evolution.

Bliss recognized the significance of this immediately. It further evidenced the modern theory of Pokémon evolution. Simply put, seventy-four percent of the energy contained in the universe cannot be seen directly, but it affects us in indirect ways. This “Dark Energy” is the chief constituent of the Aura fingerprint of different people and different organisms. More so, it affects all Pokémon who unconsciously absorb and store this energy to a certain point. Beyond this point, they evolve as long as they satisfy certain conditions which their instincts deem necessary to for their progression. Ash’s Lucario seemed to have reached that “evolution point” much sooner due to his exposure to unique aura, as well as its species’ natural attraction towards such power sources. However, this led to some negative side-effects wherein the Pokémon’s mind wasn’t psychologically ready to accept evolution, blocking several neural pathways in his brain to prevent it from the same “sensory overload” that it’s trainer had to bear.

That barrier seemed to have been finally removed.

Just then, Lucario passed out, exhausted from the ordeal. A red beam of light later, the Pokémon was recalled by its trainer. Ash looked at the Pokeball, his expression carrying a glimmer of worry for his battle partner.

‘Is he alright?’

Meir rubbed his forehead as he nodded his head slowly. ‘He should be. Just give him some time.’

Ash nodded, and walked towards May. The coordinator had passed out from exhaustion due to the stress of continually accessing her newfound senses. Ash was feeling wobbly as well, with the adrenaline from the battle no longer pulsing through his bloodstream.

He could vaguely see Meir exchanging a few words with his Gardevoir, after which the Pokémon went to seemingly explore the garden. The champion trainer walked towards Ash and gently, but firmly held his right arm, supporting him. Meir was careful not to make contact with his younger counterpart’s skin, so as not to cause the trainer to pass out. Ahead of them Bliss gently picked up May’s sleeping form and proceeded to walk in the direction of the Pokémon centre. She gave Meir one glance, and both he and Ash nodded in understanding.

They were done for the day. The skies were turning dark as the sun set, and May needed to be put into bed as soon as possible.

As the distance between the two coordinators and the duo of trainers increased, Meir looked at Ash. The younger trainer was visibly exhausted. It was mental as well as physical which was evidenced by his sluggish movements and drooping eyelids. His half-closed chocolate orbs seemed to be focused on the nearing lights of the Pokémon Centre and the silhouette of the two coordinators, one carrying the other in her arms.

‘Protect her Ash.’ Meir said quietly, causing the trainer to jerk his head up.

‘What?’ he asked, his tone was a tired, albeit inquiring one.

‘Rainbow Valley isn’t the safest of places, as I’m sure I told you.’ Meir replied in the same quiet tone, his gaze shifting towards the approaching building. ‘We might get separated, and you will have to protect and trust each other when the time comes – which might be just two days away.’ His gaze settled upon the tired trainer, who seemed to have his full attention. ‘Trust May and protect her, let her do the same for you.’ He smiled as they approached the automatic doors, the two coordinators out of their sight by now. ‘She’s a special girl, isn’t she?’

Ash matched the older trainer’s gaze and returned the smile, gentle warmth spreading throughout his whole system.

‘She is.’ He agreed.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

EarthBorn

ConVulATiON

Chapter Eleven: Apprehension

Mount Coronet:

Sinnoh was manageably pleasant in the summer. Of course, the perpetually snow-ridden tops of Mount Coronet were a different story altogether.

Virtually inaccessible, the fabled top of Mount Coronet, known in legend only as the Spear Pillar, was said to be the base of the Dragon Trio: their abode on the planet they had created, among many others. Ancient pillars and ionic columns adorned the peak, said to be erected millennia ago with humans and Pokémon working together. They lay in ruins as the peak lay unmanaged and unmaintained. Long after civilization was formed, the Dragon Trio had laid their three sources of power in the area: a power which could be used to protect the planet in case of an unprecedented disaster. The legends told that they later went on to make more worlds, all within that large time period between the moment of creation and the sprouting of the seeds of life.

The legends were taken seriously by some people. Team Galactic thought they weren’t being taken seriously enough, in their own selfish way. Team Rocket complained that the legends were a lure, a challenge to the best of humanity (like themselves) to find the stones and claim their power.

Both the organizations had grudgingly agreed to one obvious fact: the “Adamant Orb” and the “Lustrous Orb” which were exhibited at Eterna City were quite obviously fake. They were hardly the stuff of legend, and were merely rather large precious stones.

Only two people in the world knew that the large stones were merely containers, holding something far greater, smaller and more precious. They held the essence of one of the powers which created those stones, and the containers were empty. The Essence of Space was yet to be found.

The legend went on to say more: of how there were only two truly powerful stones: the Platinum orb, their third cousin, was a buffer. A portal to Giratina’s reverse world which kept the living one in perfect balance. A buffer space where exotic particles interacted and annihilated each other harmlessly, without endangering the other dimensions. Naturally invaluable, but practically insignificant.

Why then, did both the crime syndicates send their agents on missions to capture the onyx artefact? Maybe it was just for the scrapes of the valuable platinum metal used to make the stones. Maybe they would have reconsidered the mission if they knew that the Sinnoh Elite Four were personally guarding the extraction process. Most likely, they knew that it was an artefact of immense significance, and there would be a short time-delay between the Elite Four leaving their post and the regional Champion entering it.

The different between the two Syndicates was who they sent on this mission. Giovanni chose a trio known for its failure. Cyrus chose two of his commanders, and the latter indeed got there first, especially considering that Sinnoh was the Galactics’ home base.

Saturn and Mars nodded to each other, concealed in the former’s Gallade-made perception field. It was a concept the Galactics had picked up on their own, although the portable scope of it was limited. Indeed, the agile green-white Pokémon that was projecting it was having a lot of difficulty due to the thirty-odd strength of the extraction team. That’s why the two commanders, on their solo mission to capture the Platinum Orb, were hidden amongst the scarred boulders that dotted the narrow pathways of Mount Coronet.

‘We need to split up.’ said Saturn, a blue haired male with a convex haircut. His female partner gave a small nod, and both of them took off in opposite directions. Ahead of them, the extraction team had just barely managed to make headway to the orb. It was nearly a hundred meters below the ground, and required careful extraction.

‘The change in shift’s going to be soon.’ Mars told her teammate though the radio communicator. The Sinnoh Elite Four were guarding the extraction process, and the Champion was responsible for transporting the orb. However, there was going to be a short time gap – a few days from now – between the time when the Elite Four left and the Champion arrived, and that was when they would make their move.

However, their confidence in the plan made them miss two things: the awareness of Team Rocket's future presence and the odd expression that Lucian of the Elite Four was wearing as he quietly ordered his Alakazam to initiate a psychic probe.

/\/\/\/\/\/\

Sunneyshore City:

‘Here we go! We’re back in Sunnyshore.’ Cynthia said happily as she led her group out into the harbour. Dawn, Drew and Brock followed her out of the ferry which was provided to them by the PLA. As they walked out of the sleek boat and onto the shore of Sinnoh once again, they were met with the buzzing sights of the modern city. The blond champion quickly led them to the adjoining monorail terminal – a transportation network that was built in Sunnyshore shortly after the city went solar.

‘Alright,’ Cynthia explained quickly, making sure that the other three members of her group, ‘I’m going over to Meir’s place to meet his mother and collect a few things we need – it won’t take more than an hour at the most. You three should go to Pokémon Centre C – it’s given on this route – ‘ Cynthia pointed to a route map on the station wall ‘ – and it’s the same one that you stayed in last time.’ She looked at Brock. ‘I’ll trust you with this, alright?’ The breeder nodded, understanding his responsibilities considering he was the only other adult in the group.

Cynthia smiled as she took out a Pokeball. She playfully dropped it and it opened, expelling her Togekiss into the physical world. The round, white Pokémon chirped cheerfully as it nodded to Cynthia, and in the next second, the two had took off into the air.

Brock, Drew and Dawn blinked at their guide’s rather sudden exit. They shrugged it off and went towards the station, intending to board the next monorail that went along the route Cynthia had described. Neither of them noticed the ever-present eyes of Team Rocket watching as they boarded the train.

Uncharacteristically quiet, the trio simply nodded to each other. It was best to take advantage of this time-gap. They quickly ran out into the park as Jessie and James eyed two new Pokeballs. Giovanni had them dropped off at Sunnyshore so as not to draw the Galactic’s attention to their presence. However, they still needed quick transport across the continent, and had grudgingly provided them the team’s fastest carrier Pigeots.

It was time to make use of them.

/\/\/\/\/\/\

Cherrygrove City:

‘My brain feels all fuzzy now.’ Ash complained. It was their third day of training, three days which he wasn’t likely to forget anytime soon. He had never done this before, training himself to such a great extreme. It was mostly Pokémon, and a little bodybuilding which was an automatic consequence of being a trainer. He hadn’t trained his mind and senses so much...but he managed to figure out that this might be a part of the secret that got Meir and Bliss where they were right now. The only good thing about it was how much he got to know the two top trainers and May so much better. The younger coordinator had a lot of stories to share about her solo Johto journey.

May, who was in the same state as her partner, only gave a grunt in agreement. She had never been so mentally stressed in her whole life. It just got worse after the first day, when she found out the next morning that she had passed out, only for her body to protest against the Aura training. Her senses were going haywire after half of the second day was over. Just now, both the trainers were out for “some much needed fresh air” as Bliss had put it, while she and Meir “contacted Cynthia and the Pokémon Council” over some minor details of the missions. She wasn’t complaining and was just relieved at being left early.

Actually, they were going to leave for Rainbow Valley tomorrow, and May just couldn’t get that pricking sensation of fear out of her heart. Her one comfort was that she wasn’t doing this alone. She was going with two of the most powerful trainers in the world. She was going with Ash, the very same Ash who got her into this mess in the first place. Not that she minded – in fact, she was sure that she couldn’t thank him enough for just being there for her when she started out. She knew that if it wasn’t for Ash’s infectious enthusiasm and Drew’s insistent rivalry, she wouldn’t have been a tenth of the coordinator she was now.

‘Hey May!’ he called out, grinning at her. A pair of sapphire orbs looked back questioningly. Ash confirmed it – she was weary of the journey tomorrow, and he would help her overcome that fear in any way possible. He had an idea from when he had cheered us Dawn from her contest loss.

‘Wanna get some ice cream?’ he asked. Pikachu’s ears perked at this. May smiled. She could tell that he was trying to distract her from her thoughts. Oh whatever would she do without him?

‘Sure Ash!’ she said, winking at Pikachu. She felt her hand being grabbed by a storm arm, gently dragging her along. May could keep up easily; after all, Ash was tired as well.

They turned into a small ice-cream shop at the end of the lane, quite close to Cherrygrove’s Pokémon Centre. A few people were eating the dessert there, although considering the summer season, there should have been a few more. Ash noticed that a few people were giving him and May glances of recognition. It wasn’t that uncommon now that they were fairly well known in the Pokémon circuits, and Ash was the most recent Sinnoh champion.

‘I need to go for a bit. Can you get us the ice-creams?’ He said, pointing towards his Pokeballs. May nodded in understanding. The trainer had yet to let out his current “cycle”, while she had done so already. Basically, Pokeballs work on a matter-energy conversion principle, and need to be recharged periodically. Travelling trainers do this once a month or so, and they let out their Pokémon while they deposit the Pokeballs in a recharging station which every Pokémon centres has. Since they were going to be out for a while, now was a good time for the recharge.

May sighed as she made way to the counter. Unintentionally, Ash had just reminded her that they were heading out tomorrow on a dangerous journey. During the beginning of her adventures, she would be really excited at the prospect, but from the years of travelling, she had come to sense danger and knew that it should be avoided. She just focused on ordering two ice creams as the lady at the counter pointed to a free seat in the corner, and told her that she would direct her boyfriend their when he returned.

May blinked, but nodded, thinking it was best to ignore the last part for now (although she could feel her face heat up a bit), and headed to her table carrying two large cones. She could admit to herself that she was a lot closer to the raven haired trainer than she’d ever been, but she could always sort out her feelings after they had come back. She was sure of one thing though: Ash wasn’t leaving on another journey without her. It was just not as fun as when she travelled by herself.

Her thoughts were interrupted by the said trainer as he warily sat down and dug into his dessert.

‘Pikachu went too.’ Ash said, answering May’s questioning look. ‘I told him there was no ketchup in an ice-cream shop.’ May giggled a little before her face faltered again. Ash took notice of that – there was something disconcerting about how she was taking their journey...maybe she was having second thoughts or she felt forced to come? The thought made a squirm of guilt swim in his stomach.

Before he opened his mouth to speak, May quickly shook her head and waved the question off. Ash forgot – she could read his emotions if she wanted to.

‘It’s alright Ash.’ she said. ‘I want to go to Rainbow Valley ... it’s just that I think that something bad is going to happen. I...’ she tailed off looking a bit lost as she quietly finished her ice cream. Ash shook his head as he got up and began guiding May out of the shop.

‘We need to sleep, that’s all. Come on!’

The duo jogged out of the shop and towards the Pokémon centre, the physical exercise doing its job of getting May’s mind off the journey that awaited them the next day. Ash was probably not aware that he had a very good effect on calming and encouraging people, but then again, May wasn’t aware of her own effect of diluting any kind of tension that developed around her. It was a unique combination that did wonders for both of their performances in the Kanto Grand Festival and the Battle Frontier.

‘Do you still feel uncomfortable?’

The duo turned to see Meir tiredly walking towards them as he emerged from the modestly-lit Pokémon Center. He motioned to the physical contact between the younger trainers as they supported each other gently after the jog. Upon hearing his question, both the trainers became conscious that physical contact between them no longer felt uncomfortable, or sent unpleasant sensations to their brain. However, it was still very different from what they would have felt an year ago – it had a warmer tone and a gentle touch. They simply shook their heads in response.

Meir grinned. He didn’t say it aloud but he knew that the two of them were getting very close. ‘Bee is going to have a field day.’ he thought. The elite trainer lazily waved his hand, motioning the duo to come closer.

‘Bliss is still working on the details in our room. You two get some sleep – I’m going to wake you up early tomorrow.’ He got a “yes” in response and the sight of the duo rushing up the stairs towards their rooms. Ash didn’t know this, but Gardevoir had met up with some of his Pokémon who were currently strolling around the park waiting for their Pokeballs to recharge. Meir was pleasantly surprised to see that Ash was taking this very seriously and had probably gathered his most powerful team to bring with him to Rainbow Valley. Of course, hehad won the Sinnoh League and that would leave anyone to believe that he was a powerful trainer.

Meir had a feeling that he was going to be challenged to a battle he’d have a hard time winning in a just a few years.

He shrugged, and casually walked back to his and his wife’s room.

/\/\/\

A young pair of a trainer and a coordinator walked slowly back into their room, gently allowing the door behind them to close with a soft “click”. Pikachu had already scurried it’s way to the top and was in a deep slumber, possibly dreaming about the delights of ketchup and his favourite trainer as well as the brunette he had become rather attached to.

The said coordinator was busy talking to the trainer in a rather quiet tone, not wanting to wake the rodent up. After repeatedly reassuring the insistent teen named Ash Ketchum, whom she assured that she had no problems with their trip whatsoever, she gave him a tight hug with a light peck on the cheek and dug into her bed as Ash went over to lie down next to the yellow mouse.

Tomorrow was going to be a long day.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

EarthBorn

ConVulATiON
/ / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / /

Chapter Twelve: Rainbow Valley

\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \

May! Wake up!’ She could hear her name being whispered and repeated over and over again. Her eyes were still closed as she grimaced in discomfort. Something or someone was continually poking her head, trying her get her out of that oh-so-comfortable bed. Her lips pouted. She didn’t want to get up. She was having such a nice - although bizarre - dream involving her and -

‘Ash!’ she said, opening her eyes with full force. The coordinator felt slightly dizzy with the sudden intake of light. She saw a large yellow blob obstructing most of her field of vision. Blinking, her thoughts quickly organized themselves and everything came in at once. Today was the day. May jolted up to a sitting position, but she banged into a startled Ash’s head along the way.

‘Ouch.’ The trainer rubbed his forehead quickly and proceeded to pull the wincing coordinator out of her head. ‘You’re late May! We need to move now!’ She didn’t miss his emphasis on those words.

May grumbled. Now she definitely didn’t want to get out of her cosy bed. Looking at the chronometer, she saw that it was merely half-past-five: and that was quite early on in the day. Besides, Ash’s warmth was acting as a tranquilizer, lulling her to sleep. She could sense that he wasn’t feeling up for their big journey as well; it was almost natural to be able to tell his mood from his Aura now, but she knew that they had to get going sometime today.

‘Pikaaa.’ The yellow Pokémon cooed a rather long yawn before lazily bouncing on top of his trainer’s head, who had just finished putting on his trademark cap. May found herself staring absently at the duo. They always seemed to create a warm, fuzzy feeling inside her stomach that yet again, made her want to do nothing more than go back to sleep at this time of the day. She shook herself awake and proceeded to walk over to the bathroom for a shower, but took a while to notice that Ash was trying to stop her, saying things like “no time”, and explaining how Bliss told them they’d be better off if they didn’t take a shower before their journey.

Shrugging, she went over to her fanny pack and took out the Itemball that contained her clothes. She nearly forgot about Ash still being in the room and headed off to the bathroom to change into her not-so-new-anymore blue and white attire. Fortunately, she remembered the last time Ash had berated her slow dressing speed and also the fact that they were going on a mission that could very well change their lives. She was done in a mere three minutes and came out into the room, fully dressed, watching Ash place the last item - with great care - inside his bag. It was something she knew all too well.

‘You still carry that with you?’ May asked him, her voice taking on a softer tone. Ash smiled as he motioned Pikachu to hop on his shoulder, to which the electric-type complied.

‘Always. Don’t you?’ he asked.

May reached into one of the outer compartments of her fanny pack, pulling out her half of the Terracotta ribbon.

‘Of course.’ she replied, smiling faintly. There was a long silence which was interrupted by a knock on the door.

‘Time to go, both of you!’ came Bliss’ muffled voice. May hastily put her remaining belongings into the fanny pack and pulled up its zipper. The door opened, revealing the Grand Coordinator, who entered the room.

Bliss was wearing slightly different attire. It contained streaks of maroon but was primarily light blue and dark green, an unusual blend that, strangely enough, seemed to accent her striking figure. The dress was obviously tough, perfect for the task its wearer was planning to do. She looked fresh, but from her unusually discomforted expression, it was clear that she wasn’t much of a morning person.

‘Is that a ribbon May?’ she asked curiously, gesturing to the object that the latter was still holding in her hand. ‘You shouldn’t bring it to Rainbow Valley you know, you might lose it: you’ll need it for the next Festival!’

The younger coordinator held it up, showing that it was only half a ribbon. May opened her mouth to explain -

‘Oh.’ Bliss said, somehow understanding the situation. Her eyes flickered to Ash for a moment. ‘I see. Come on then!’ she said. With a swish of dark hair, she walked out of the room, but not before flashing each of them a grin.

Ash caught May’s gaze, but the latter just shrugged, and the two hurried off of into the hallway.

There were only two other trainers besides their group of four (plus Pikachu). They seemed rather excited, having got both Meir and Bliss’s autographs and quickly scurried up past Ash and May as they headed into their room down the Pokémon Centre’s corridor. Bliss had an unusually serious look on her face while talking to her husband, but broke off the conversation when she spotted her younger accomplices walking down the stairway. The Centre’s lights were still on, but the dull orange sky indicated that sunrise was due soon enough.

‘Hey!’ Meir called out, waving the duo to come closer. All four of them were equipped and ready...or as ready as they would ever be. ‘All set to go?’ asked Meir. His attire had also received some minor modifications, the most notable beings a rather thick watch-like PDA which was attached to his wrist. He wore peculiar gloves with metallic lines running through them. They seemed similar to those gloves that Sir Arron used to wear, but they were quite different in design – more minimalistic and of a darker shade of blue, almost looking black from a distance.

‘What’s that?’ Ash asked, pointing to the device.

‘It’s a prototype PokéNav actually.’ He said, letting the two younger trainers examine it as they moved closer to get a better look. ‘The Pokétch Corporation in Jubilife thought of making a variation to attract trainers instead of coordinators. They teamed up with Hoenn’s Devon Corporation and made this; I was asked to test it.’

‘Will it work...wherever we are going?’ May asked, her eyebrows furrowed. ‘Max always complained that it needs to be in the coverage area or it doesn’t work.’

‘Don’t worry about that, May.’ Meir replied tapping the large device. ‘It’s really tough and guided by satellite. Since we’re going to a secret location, the PLA modified it so that it shows the areas which are hidden by a perception filter.’ He turned to Bliss, who nodded back.

‘We better go.’ She said simply. ‘Follow me.’

The quartet walked out of the Pokémon centre after thanking a smiling Nurse Joy, all strangely close to each other. It was instinct after all: they could get separated in Rainbow Valley. Ho-oh most likely knew they were coming. Not only that, but the legendary bird was sure to have put up a few challenges for them as well. May realized that she was still holding her half of the Terracotta ribbon and quickly put it into her fanny pack. The sky had changed into a brilliant vermillion as they walked towards the Cherrygrove harbour. There was a distinct chill in the air, maybe foreshadowing the journey to come.

After the short walk, they found themselves standing on an empty pier, looking at the vast ocean. Meir took a step forwards, holding a standard red-white Pokeball in his hand with the official Pokémon League Association insignia on its upper part.

‘I borrowed this from the PLA.’ Meir announced, although mainly to the two younger trainers since Bliss already knew. ‘We’ll be using her to get to Rainbow Valley, but first,’ he paused, waiting to have everyone’s attention, ‘Did you manage to bring a water-type with you, just in case there’s an accident?’

The younger trainers held a Pokeball each.

‘I have my Totodile.’ replied Ash.

‘And my Squirtle.’ said May.

Bliss simply nodded at the question, taking out an Ultraball and waving it at Meir. The latter threw his PLA-borrowed Pokeball out into the sea, where a magnificently large figure emerged from the tiny sphere. The Wailord flipped its massive fin and turned around, facing its current trainer.

‘Care to give us a ride, Wailord?’ Meir asked, as he faced the Pokémon’s massive frame. In response, the water-type lowered one of its fins, aligning itself to the pier, acting as a makeshift staircase. Bliss made her way to their improvised ferry, balancing herself onto the fin and climbing up the Pokémon’s curved body. She sat down with a soft thud, patting the blue skin of her carrier, taking out her own familiar PDA. The others followed her soon with Meir going in last and stumbled slightly, seemingly distracted by his new PokeNav. As soon as everyone was comfortable, Bliss slid over to the front slightly to one side, and began whispering instructions into its ears, pausing to look at her PDA every now and then. Wailords did have ears, but they weren’t visible as they contrasted with their vast size.

The others could only make out a few of the words she said...’Ten miles south...Sevii...east...’

‘She’s much better at handling water-types than I am.’ Meir mumbled, still fiddling with his PokéNav. The Sun had nearly come up now, but no one was really paying attention to its ascension over the sea. He had a rather frustrated look on his face as he kept pressing on different parts of it. Curious, May leaned over his shoulder, while Ash was wondering about what the older trainer said.

‘I’ve been wondering for a while,’ said Ash, ‘do some people attract a certain Pokémon-type?’ He looked at Pikachu and back at Meir. ‘I’ve been with Pikachu for a long time, and he’s my best Pokémon friend, but I’ve never caught another electric-type.’

‘Most people think they do.’ Meir replied, looking back at Ash. May took the opportunity to take a closer look at the gadget. ‘You should ask Bliss about that, I don’t know so much about Pokémon behaviour and such.’ He turned back to his PDA and May was looking at the digitized map, dumbstruck.

‘It’s not far, is it?’ Meir grinned. ‘If it was in the middle of the ocean, we would never have found it.’

There was a gentle tug as Wailord started flapping its fins. They were moving with accelerating speed. Apparently, this Pokémon was trained for transporting people, and it almost felt like travelling onboard a large ship. The deep rumbles of the vast creature were actually quite soothing. Bliss and Ash delicately slid towards the other two members of their quartet. May gently grabbed Ash, and directed his sight towards the PokéNav.

‘The Sevii Islands?’ asked Ash, frowning. ‘I never went there when I was in Johto, but I remember Misty talking about them.’

‘Oh,’ said May, ‘I had a contest there; the ribbon can be used for either Johto or Kanto. I thought you might have gone there before.’ She blushed, embarrassed. ‘I never thought that Ho-oh would live so close to the Sevii islands though.’

‘Ho-oh’s pretty smart isn’t he?’ Bliss commented. ‘He hid himself near an island called Navel Rock, which are the ancient ruins of Southern Pokemopolis. Pretty ironic if you ask me.’

‘You told us you were possessed once, remember Ash?’ said Meir, resting his free arm on Wailord’s skin. The wind was picking up speed as they went faster. ‘Ho-oh tried to kill the King of Pokélantis after his army destroyed his original home – the Tin Tower in Ecruteak City. The King’s base was right near the Sevii islands –‘

‘Around here,’ Bliss had snuggled herself beside Meir and pointed to the location displayed on the digital map, ‘right between the Orange Archipelago and Sevii two. Ho-oh chose to rest at a place that was conquered by the King who tried to control him.’ She traced the line that connected the two geographical features. ‘The Prime Lugia is said to live north of Sevii One, near Shamouti, although the Lugia breeding grounds are near Whirl, a little east of Cainwood City in Johto.’

‘It makes sense now...’ Ash mumbled, lost in thought. That strange sensation that he had felt all those years ago...that mere presence of Lugia which jolted his senses with sheer wonder, just like Ho oh did when he first left Pallet Town, had returned then. He was getting that same feeling again, the sensation of the powerful Aura that certain legendary Pokémon possessed. Only this time he was able to identify it, thanks to the training. He just focused on locating it, passing his time. However, it took him a while to notice that the May and Bliss were staring at him intently. Meir seemed to be watching him out of the corner of his eye.

‘What?’ Ash said defensively, blushing in embarrassment. He was beginning to feel strangely conscious when May focused her eyes at him like that, accompanied by a rather warm feeling in his stomach.

‘You noticed it too?’ asked May, her sapphire orbs still gazing intently at Ash.

‘He seems to have noticed it better than all of us.’ Bliss observed. Wailord had begun to make a rumbling sound again. Their ride was no longer speeding up, but they were still travelling rather quickly, and there were times when the whale-Pokémon had nearly submerged itself into the sea, leaving a spot of skin above the surface for them to sit on. Johto’s shore had long since disappeared. For how long had he spaced out like that?

‘Look over there!’ Meir exclaimed, leaning down to look at the ocean so that he almost fell over into it. The others were quick to follow him, with May having to hold onto Ash when he almost missed his footing.

‘Ah...thanks May.’ Ash said. The coordinator nodded and pointed at the ocean. Through the sparkle of the deep waters, they were able to make out a rough shape that dominated the lighter blue, a shadow that floated besides them, keeping up effortlessly with their giant Pokémon. It was the same source of power that Ash had felt all those years ago.

‘Isn’t that?’ asked Ash.

‘Lugia? Of course.’ Meir nodded, briefly glancing at Bliss, who nodded, and returning to gaze at the shadow.

‘It’s Lugia Prime. I’m sure of it.’ said Bliss, as she carefully scanned the hidden figure.

‘Hey Lugia!’ Ash exclaimed, waving to the figure with one hand holding onto Wailord, oblivious to the incredulous looks from his companions. ‘It’s been a long time!’

In response, the shadow quickly ascended to the surface, bursting out of the ocean and into their air with immense force. The quartet had to shield themselves with their arms as they faced the gush of water raining on them. Shaking it off, they turned to see what they had expected: a Lugia of immense size. A “normal” Lugia would grow to a size of five meters from head to tail, but this one was much bigger, solidifying its status as the Prime Legendary, the guardian of the seas.

The blue-white bird turned its neck to look at the group, before using its psychic telepathic abilities to answer. ‘Hello Ash. My counterpart is expecting all four of you.’ The ethereal feel of having a voice in your head always had a very impressive effect on the victim of telepathic conversation. This was especially true if the speaker was a rare and magnificent Legendary Pokémon.

May’s hand automatically sought Ash’s, as the latter gave them a gentle reassuring squeeze. This was the first time she had seen a Lugia, although she remembered Ash’s stories from their Hoenn travelling days about the incident in the Orange Islands. Max didn’t believe him, but she did. Her brother was going to be really jealous when she would tell him about this! That thought and Ash’s reassurance were the only things keeping her calm from the stormy gaze of the legendary being.

‘So Ho-oh does know we’re coming.’ Meir grumbled. ‘I’m sure there’ll be a good welcoming party.’

‘Yes, he wishes to test you.’ Lugia responded. Its wings were perfectly still as it flew, resembling an aeroplane more than a bird.

‘What kind of test?’ asked May, her curiosity overcoming her surprise at the bird’s sudden arrival.

‘You must incapacitate his three creations. The First must be done with grace, the Second, with power, and the third with a union of both.’ Lugia answered, as if those lines were ingrained into her mind. Drastically changing the gentle path of her flight, the guardian of the seas shot high into the sky, spreading the breadth of her wings. With a single powerful flap, the Pokémon unleashed a gale of tremendous force, leaving the quartet gripping on tightly to their ride and trying their hardest not to drown. They felt themselves being thrown back as the force of the wind sent them, and their ride speeding towards a now-visible island. After nearly ten minutes of the soaking speed, they heard a very clear ‘Good Luck’ inside their heads before Lugia disappeared out of their sight, as quickly as she came.

‘Ugh...’

‘You alright Pikachu? May?’ asked Ash as he blinked the seawater out of his eyes. He wasn’t injured in the least bit, but felt like his whole body had been fired through a canon.

‘Pika!’ The Pokémon reassured him, shaking the wetness off its fur.

‘I’m not hurt at all, just wet.’ said May, trying drenching the wet clothes slightly. Her hair had settled down from the usual gravity-defying twin locks she usually had, into a more compact form around her neckline, slightly spread out over her collarbones. The coordinator noticed the change and sighed. ‘My hair is all messed up.’

‘You sound like Dawn.’ Ash commented sarcastically. ‘It’s fine.’ He tilted his head as his yellow companion hopped on his shoulder, and got onto his feet. Spotting Meir and Bliss who had landed quite a few feet away from them, he waved. ‘Let’s go May.’ He offered his hand and the coordinator grabbed it, standing up. She was looking at Ash with a curiously odd expression.

‘What?’ The trainer asked defensively. May hesitated before speaking.

‘Do you...think it’s better this way?’ She fingered her brunette locks as she spoke.

Ash froze momentarily. Whenever Dawn tried out a new hairstyle, he and Brock were expected to list its good points::how it suited her, how it would look at a contest, all like they were professional fashion experts. He prayed that May would remember the importance of their mission before jumping up on him with those questions. Knowing there was no avoiding it, he scanned the new hairstyle and smiled. She did look a lot more striking in it, especially with the drops of water trailing down her face, over her lips...

‘Yeah, it looks really nice.’

The coordinator’s face lit up like a Christmas tree, before she grabbed the trainer’s hand, gave him a tight hug, muttered a quick “thanks” and dragged him towards their older companions without another word. Ash was a little confused at her behaviour, but felt relieved that she hadn’t started a long questioning session. He felt oddly warm by the importance she attached to his opinion.

They arrived just in time to see Meir returning the Wailord (which seemed oddly relieved to be out of the water), while Bliss was double checking their baggage. The champion trainer turned to check his PokeNav and raised an eyebrow while examining it.

‘It looks like we’re here.’ he announced, gesturing to the island. The quartet turned to look around the shore, and two of them seemed horrified what they saw.

‘There’s nothing here!’ Ash said angrily. He had become increasingly agitated since Lugia blasted them here. ‘It’s just a small piece of land, and that,’ he said, pointing to the ocean opposite to the side they came from, ‘is the biggest whirlpool I’ve ever seen!’

Bliss playfully pulled off the younger trainer’s hat (much to his annoyance), and ruffled his hair. ‘That’s a short temper you’ve got there mister Ketchum! I think you know now why I told you not to take a shower!’ She pulled May’s shoulder so that both the younger trainers were facing the whirlpool. ‘What did we tell you about perception filters?’

Ash flushed with embarrassment while May giggled. Both of them closed their eyes and focused their senses, just like they had been doing so during their training. What they felt astonished them: it was the same sensation of pure power they felt when near Lugia, although it was definitely something different from the blue-white bird. The source was definitely somewhere on the opposite side of the whirlpool, in almost a straight line ahead of them. They opened their eyes.

‘Right there.’ said Meir, his chartreuse orbs sparkling with amazement. The Whirlpool never really existed. Both the sight and sound of turbulent water had been replaced by a massive extension of the island. It was the most confusing, but wonderful sight ever seen with, an array of very steep hills and deep trenches that seed to litter the valley. Giant tress and odd crystal-projections dominated the terrain, which was littered with countless flowers, accompanied by the roundest pebbled that could be mistaken for pearls. The hillsides seemed to give of an odd sparkle and glimmer, which proved to be slightly disorienting to any visitor. The valley was littered with countless streams and patches of water, but there were two features that stood out the most.

There was a single graded hill, far taller than the others, the peak of the island. Around the peak was what seemed to be an eternally raging fire, one that did not burn out, nor did it spread outwards to consume the vegetation. The peak was their obvious destination. In fact, a rough path which seemed to be made from something shiny and silvery was paved to the top of the peak, and fortunately began right from the place they landed.

There was no doubt about it, this was Rainbow Valley.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Note: I will refer to Lugia in the female and Ho-oh in the made gender, even though they’re genderless. Same goes to the Legendary Birds and Beasts: the former will be female and the latter, male.

Review the triple update. :)

Mayziken

Advanceshipping<3
I will only review Chapter 12....
You never stop to amaze me you know??

‘You must incapacitate his three creations. The First must be done with grace, the Second, with power, and the third with a union of both.’

I think i know what you are up to here:
The First: May and Bliss or individually
The Second: Ash and Meir or individually
The Third: Ash & May, Meir & Bliss, Ash & Bliss or Meir & May

Or they will be split up into two groups (Ash & May and Meir & Bliss) where one of the groups have to face the Legendary Birds and the other face the Beasts

Note: I will refer to Lugia in the female and Ho-oh in the made gender, even though they’re genderless. Same goes to the Legendary Birds and Beasts: the former will be female and the latter, male.

Thats fine with me :)

You do a good job with slowly revealing romance between Ash and May, but I hope you won't wait untill one of the last chapters of this fic to let them really be togheter. After all, all fic have to have a bit cheesy romance in it??

btw just so you now, your serie Destiny Bond is now on my very exclusive list of fic I really want to see as a movie (you are the 5th fic/fic-serie that have come on my list)

Edit:
Is it just me that review this fic here???

Last edited:

XxMays_flowerxX

Golden eyes <3
‘May! Wake up!’ She could hear her name being whispered and repeated over and over again. Her eyes were still closed as she grimaced in discomfort. Something or someone was continually poking her head, trying her get her out of that oh-so-comfortable bed. Her lips pouted. She didn’t want to get up. She was having such a nice - although bizarre - dream involving her and -

‘Ash!’
I really loved this section or paragraph from the story! It's so cute! ( o_O she's dreaming about ash?! WOW! )
anyways, I have been reading your story's ( yes both ) and man... You are a PHENOMENAL! writer! I mean, I just love how your words are descriptive and realistic! Keep up the good work! ^.^

EarthBorn

ConVulATiON
Reviews!

Mayziken

You do a good job with slowly revealing romance between Ash and May, but I hope you won't wait untill one of the last chapters of this fic to let them really be togheter. After all, all fic have to have a bit cheesy romance in it??

btw just so you now, your serie Destiny Bond is now on my very exclusive list of fic I really want to see as a movie (you are the 5th fic/fic-serie that have come on my list)

Last few chapters, but there will be enough shipping hints. I hope I can manage.
As for the second part, I'm flattered. :D I personally think that a movie would capture my descriptions well, but the problem lies in capturing emotions.

XxMays_flowerxX

I really loved this section or paragraph from the story! It's so cute! ( o_O she's dreaming about ash?! WOW! )
anyways, I have been reading your story's ( yes both ) and man... You are a PHENOMENAL! writer! I mean, I just love how your words are descriptive and realistic! Keep up the good work! ^.^

Yes. She's a teenage girl isn't she? ;)
Thanks for the praise (although I'm not entirely satisfied with how the first fic turned out myself), but it's nice to find people who take their time to read. :) I'll add you onto the PM list, let me know if you don't want to be on it.

Now, for the chapter!

/ / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / /

Chapter Thirteen: The Shimmering Path

\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \

‘Wow!’ May breathed. She was in awe at the sight of the most secret island in the world, and there seemed to be a very good reason for it to be kept secret. On a closer inspection, it was apparent that not only was the island Ho-oh’s nesting ground, but the extinct volcano had flung out a large quantity of precious metals and stones onto the surface. The faint glitter of the hills was that of different crystals and the shiny trail to the summit was – literally – laced with silver.

‘This wasn’t made only by Pokémon.’ said Bliss, waking towards the silver trail. There were large blocks of stone which seemed to be a gate of sorts. It was apparent that the path was levelled and paved at one time, but the sands of time had weathered it down considerably. The older coordinator motioned to the others to take a look at the stone slabs. Upon inspection, the quartet observed hieroglyphs and runic symbols, written in lettering shaped in the likeness of the twenty-eight shapes of Unown, the Symbol Pokémon.

‘We never knew what this meant the first time we came here.’ said Meir, running his hand over the inscriptions. ‘We couldn’t decipher this writing – the scrip is readable but the language is something else. We copied it down and gave it for translation when we came back.’

‘The writing explains a bit about the island itself.’ Bliss explained. ‘We were surprised that all of this – ‘she motioned to the valley, ‘– was a natural formation. It turns out that it wasn’t.’

‘Who made it then?’ asked Ash.

‘Well...we don’t really know.’ Meir sighed, turning to face the silvery trail. ‘There are a lot of mysteries about these “Temples” to legendary Pokémon and who built them. Most historians are quite sure that it was the work of just a single civilization which existed a long time ago.’ He pointed at the path, which slivered all the way to the tip of the mountain. ‘All this inscription says is...’

‘..that is Rainbow Valley and that trail is made out of silver. It’s called the Shimmering Path.’ Bliss finished.

‘Real Silver?’ asked May, her eyes wide amazement.

‘Well, part silver, but it is real.’ replied Bliss, raising her right hand. A simple silver ring rested on her third finger. ‘Our wedding rings are made from that silver. I have to hand it to Meir though,’ she grinned, ‘for someone who’s as inert as he is can be pretty romantic sometimes.’

‘It’s pretty!’ exclaimed May, admiring the ornament’s simple design and shiny surface. Bliss chuckled, and started walking towards the silvery trail. On a closer look at the path, it was evident that it did not lead to the peak of the island directly. In fact, it was anything but straightforward. The whole path could hardly be seen, considering the size of the island, but the little of it that was visible revealed several twists and turns, ascending and descending up and down the mountainous terrain. It was going to be a long hike for sure.

‘Hey!’ Meir waved to the two girls, Ash being with him. They were already a hundred meters or so ahead of the lagging duo plus Pokémon. ‘Can we get a move on?’

‘That was not nice!’ Bliss snapped, racing to catch up with May running behind her.

‘We didn’t leave you behind.’ Ash said defensively. ‘The ground kinda started moving on its own.’ Bliss’ eyes widened and she latched onto May, making a brief eye contact with an anxious-looking Meir who returned a silent nod. Pikachu looked towards his trainer, and quickly jolted towards Bliss and May, as he was closer to them. As the sound of their footsteps on the shimmering path echoed airily in the backdrop of the vast ocean, a low rumble could be heard. It was as if the island itself was making the sound, growing ever stronger in amplitude. The ground started shaking, gently at first, escalating into a full-scale earthquake.

The quartet stopped moving and landed on their knees, bracing themselves for the inevitable impact of the wave. Swiftly, it was as if a wall of solid shimmering rock had been created in mere seconds, cutting off contact between the two groups. The ground began to stabilize, and in no time at all, it was like the quake had never occurred. The only proof of that was the solid wall dividing May, Bliss and Pikachu from Ash and Meir.

‘Wh-what just happened?’ asked May, her worried voice carrying over to the other side of the wall with almost perfect clarity. There was no muffling of sound – only sight. They could still hear each other perfectly.

‘This,’ replied Meir ‘is the reason why it took us two weeks to get to the peak.’ His voice, too, was perfectly clear. In fact, it seemed to be even clearer than what the others would have heard without the wall separating them.

‘The island is very active geologically.’ Bliss explained, her footsteps echoing across the silent island. ‘The crystals in the walls have something to do with it, and we’re sure that Ho-oh has some limited control over them.’

‘Not to mention the walls are near perfect reflectors of sound waves, but they’re not far enough from each other to induce echoes.’ Meir noted. ‘We can’t see each other, but we can still talk, at least at this distance.’

‘Don’t try to break it down.’ Bliss warned May as she reached out for a Pokeball. ‘This is probably a part of Ho-oh’s test. I think we’ll travel ahead in two groups for a while, but we’ll need to have a backup link in case something goes wrong.’

‘Unfortunately for us,’ replied Meir, ‘we only have two comm. devices.’ He turned to look at Ash, who was staring at the wall until he returned the gaze. Meir motioned to the PokeNav on his wrist. ‘That means we need to stay close. Don’t lose each other.’ He switched his gaze towards the wall. ‘If we do encounter a strong Pokémon, use the emergency beacon.’ His voice turned soft, ‘I have an idea of who Ho-oh is going to send to attack.’

‘...that would be bad.’ Bliss replied, her voice possessing a quiet seriousness that surprised the others. She turned to look at her younger partner, whose worried gaze was fixed on the wall.

‘Don’t worry about Ash.’ She told her quietly, enough so that the voice wouldn’t be carried over to the other side. ‘Worry about ourselves right now.’

‘That’s right, don’t worry you two!’ came Ash’s excitedly-reassuring voice form the other side of the wall. ‘Pikachu, take care of May alright? We’ll see you soon enough!’

The younger coordinator nodded whispering an affirmative, although she still remained a little apprehensive. Glancing at the yellow mouse perched on top of her shoulder, she shook herself out of her thoughts, ignoring the trickle of worry in her stomach and the tingle of excitement in her spine as she set off with Bliss and Pikachu into the blaze of the morning sun.

/\/\/\/\

‘Mount Coronet at last!’ Cynthia exclaimed happily as her group arrived at the outer excavation camp. The others gave a sigh of relief as they finally arrived at their destination, only to stop suddenly when they took in the size of the mountain they were going to climb. After the Sinnoh Champion had suddenly left, they had found themselves chatting idly at Sunnyshore’s main Pokémon Centre. It was mainly about Brock’s family, seeing as Dawn and especially Drew were new to the idea of having a dozen siblings to take care of. Dawn herself didn’t have any siblings, but she could relate to having a brother-sister relationship with her fellow travelling companions. The emerald-haired coordinator, on the other hand, had no prior experience of travelling in a group at all.

As Cynthia surveyed the surroundings, the others took the time to catch their breaths. Motioning the others to follow, the group crossed the threshold of the large Iron Gate that barred the way to the mountain’s interior. Caves were a geological feature common to most mountains, thanks to the efforts of Digglet over a span of centuries. Anyhow, the final destination of Cynthia’s group was not the underground, but the summit of the mountain. Trekking a few thousands meters up was still going to be a lot of work. Luckily –

‘Hey what’s that?’ asked Dawn, pointing to a rather obviously-artificial cave which seemed to head in the general upwards direction. Drew walked over to it immediately, and started scanning the cave. Brock was looking around, a flashlight in his hand. Cynthia was oddly quiet and seemed to be in a thoughtful state.

‘Yes, that’s the way!’ she exclaimed suddenly. The champion’s dramatic shift from her quiet self to an excitable one startled the group slightly, but they nevertheless made to follow her as she started lightly treading up the path made by the cave-passageway.

Dawn was slightly apprehensive, but she continued on, hardening her resolve. She could have sworn that Cynthia had flashed her a quietly encouraging smile. The cave’s atmosphere was rather chilly, but she knew she could count on her childhood friend, her travelling partner and the Sinnoh Champion to keep out of harm’s way. She wasn’t so bad herself. She didn’t know that Drew was rather more apprehensive of the ominous cave than she was, but just didn’t show it.

The quartet came to a halt as Cynthia held up a hand. She quietly took out a Pokeball – its red gleam was the only thing that made it recognisable in the dim light. Opening the device, a flash of crimson indicated the emergence of her trademark Garchomp. The dark-skinned dragon simply nodded to his trainer, who grabbed hold of the Pokémon’s scaly skin in response. She motioned the rest of her group to do the same, and they all tentatively gripped the dragon-type’s scales. It was Brock who seemed to have a sudden gleam of understanding in his narrow eyes.

‘Rock Climb?’ he asked quietly, facing the other adult of the group, who was adjusting her long hair out of Garchomp’s claws.

‘There’s no hiding this move from a former Rock-type Gym Leader, is there?’ Cynthia chuckled. Brock grinned, but it soon turned into a frown.

‘Don’t you think that all four of us are going to be too much for Garchomp?’ he asked. The Breeder’s question was met with a growl from the said Pokémon, while its trainer returned a fond smile. She shook her head and simply instructed the other three to tighten their grip. Drew and Dawn were slightly confused at their discussion, but only the latter showed any signs of that. Brock understood that Garchomp didn’t like to be questioned on its weaknesses. After all, Pokémon had different personalities just like humans. Cynthia’s Garchomp was a proud champion.

Moments later, the Dragon-type extended its claws outward as they began to faintly glow. Without a second’s notice, the Pokémon and the passengers were propelled forward, rapidly accelerating at high speeds up the tunnels. Dawn and Drew were dumbfounded by the sheer speed, and tightened their grip on their ride. Cynthia still had a soft smile on her face, her eyes covered by her voluminous golden hair. Brock was impressed by Garchomp’s sheer speed.

Rock Climb was a move where the Pokémon increases the friction between one portions of their limbs with the ground, and decreases the friction within another portion. A precise combination of this, along with its inner strength (generally the dark-energy component of Aura) allows it to move seamlessly over rock, and give the Pokémon the ability to climb certain inaccessible places.

Of course, Mount Coronet wasn’t going to let them get to the top so easily.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

May walked quietly onwards, following the older coordinator along the silvery trail. They had been walking for quite a few hours now, with the sun already beginning its decent into the west. She had been oddly silent after the first two hours of idle chatting with her, a fact that if Bliss had noticed (who was quite lost in her own world herself) hadn’t commented upon.

Both of them did acknowledge the brilliance with which the Shimmering Path was constructed. It was designed to take the longest possible time in order to walk from the beginning at the outer edge of the island, to the summit of Ho-oh’s mountain. The steep ascents and descents only made to increase the time involved with walking. Both of them were pretty much exhausted in just a few hours’ march. There were also several patches of the island which seemed to keep on changing, apparently at random – obviously this was a very active region geologically.

‘May?’ Bliss said quietly, taking a few slow steps towards a green clearing. The younger coordinator broke out of her reverie upon hearing another voice, the two shades of sapphire eyes soon connected. ‘I think it’s time for lunch don’t you?’

‘Huh?’ May blinked, her mind immediately turning to her two male team members and Ash’s monstrous appetite. ‘Shouldn’t we wait until we meet up with – ‘Her speech was interrupted by a loud lurching protest from her abdomen, causing her to blush in embarrassment.

Bliss let out a giggle. ‘Your stomach says otherwise doesn’t it?’ She gently put her hand on the younger coordinator’s blue bandana. ‘Meir has some food with him as well. I have some Pokémon food for Pikachu too.’ She nodded to the yellow rodent, who had hopped down to the ground. Its ears perked up at the mention of food. There was a beep from Bliss’ comm. device, indicating a delivered message. Bliss took a look at it, absently holding the item ball containing their food supply in her other hand. Not taking her eyes off the screen of her PDA, she invited May to read it. They had to communicate using text messages for the simple reason of not drawing attention to themselves. After all, this was supposed to be an island no-one knew about. A stray satellite picking up radio signals from here wouldn’t bode well.

“me and ash eating at quartz lake. Must go. love n take care”

‘They’ve already started.’ Bliss commented, lazily throwing the item ball as the matter-energy conversion worked its magic, materializing a large steel canteen box onto the ground. May went over and took a sniff.

‘It smells great! Did Ivysaur make it?’ she asked, opening the insulated box.

‘You bet!’ replied Bliss, proceeding to open the Pokémon food compartment for Pikachu. ‘Don’t worry about the supplies right now.’ Bliss added hastily. ‘Ivy made enough for three months, enough to last us even if Ash’s stories about your “monstrous appetite” are true.’

May froze in mid-bite as her face turned red, half-angry and half-embarrassed. ‘He is so going to get it.’ Bliss waved her hand around, grinning.

‘Don’t worry though, Dawn told me his side of the story as well.’

May made a mental reminder to thank her blue-haired friend when they next met. Absently, she noticed that Bliss’ expression was slightly different from her usual carefree one, as if she was uncomfortable with something. She looked at her food and was sure it wasn’t the cause: it was delicious after all. Sneaking a glance at Pikachu, she noticed that the yellow rodent was also looking at Bliss with a curiously worried explanation. The Pokémon reminded her of its trainer...it felt good to have a part of him besides her.

‘Um, are you alright? I’ve got some aspirin if you need any...’ she asked, deciding it was better to take care of each other. Even if Bliss was one of the most powerful trainers in the world, even she could get sick. It wouldn’t bode well for them if they were unprepared for any consequences of ill-health. Brock had advised her to keep medicine with her on her travels when she left for Johto, and she did hand onto to his every word.

Bliss waved her hand in dismissal, although she had a weak smile on her lips.

‘I didn’t really expect you to notice, although I think Pikachu might have.’ She mused, reaching out to stroke the small Pokémon. ‘I’ll admit that I’m not feeling a hundred-percent, but it’s not something to worry about.’ She shook her head as May opened her mouth to protest. The younger coordinator sighed in defeat. She picked up Pikachu, who immediately snuggled besides her neck, lightly tickling the brunette coordinator. Bliss grinned and, ignoring her headache, grabbed her chance to tease the other coordinator.

‘So May,’ she asked innocently, ‘I’ve not quite understood your relationship with Ash. Care to explain a little?’

May blinked a few times, processing what she just heard. Her relationship with Ash was pretty much obvious, wasn’t it? They were good friends, bonded for life by some kind of crazy energy thing which she didn’t really understand and ... well it was definitely not a normal friendship now, was it? Noticing the sudden stillness on her shoulder, it was clear that Pikachu was also interested in a topic which concerned its trainer. May began feeling very uncomfortable with the two sets of eyes on her. She could handle the massive crowd at the Grand Festival without a problem, why was this bugging her?

‘W-Well we’re really good friends and stuff. We care about each other a lot. ’ May laughed nervously. ‘He taught me how to handle myself and how to fight. He somehow made me love Pokémon even though I didn’t like them at first. I guess there was something that made me want to travel with him and I kind of forced him to take him on his journey.’ May sighed contently, remembering the incident where Pikachu fried her bike. Indeed the yellow rodent was nervously stroking its fur, obviously recalling that particular memory – not to mention two other bikes it had electrified. May noticed and gave Pikachu a friendly smile. ‘If Pikachu hadn’t destroyed my bicycle back then, I don’t think that I’d be talking to you right now.’

‘Mmm.’ Bliss said, slowly standing up after resealing the food inside the Itemball. ‘I wonder how these things happen, but it’s kinda nice to know that they do.’ She closed her eyes in reminiscence, wincing slightly as another urge to vomit hit her. ‘I’m so glad I took a wrong turn the day I arrived at Sinnoh, otherwise I’d never have bumped into Meir and Cynthia.’ May looked up questioningly, but Bliss just shook her head, mumbling “later”.

It was then that, quite suddenly, bolts of lightning zipped across the shaded sky, filling the air with a surge of pure power. Both the coordinators held their ground, shielding their eyes from the intensity of the impulse. Gently, the ground began shaking, a premonition of a change in the landscape. Sure enough, the sono-porous walls of the area had moved about, creating a roughly arc-like second entrance into the inner part of the island. Throughout the day, the four trainers had merely been skimming on the outer circumference of the island, prevented from intruding further due to the walls blocking their path.

Now, May and Bliss had arrived at what apperead to be a gate, laced with silver and gold. Hearing a shrill “beep” as the lightning died down, Bliss kept one eye on the Pokémon which calmly stood guarding that gate. Reaching out into her bag, she pulled out her PDA, its screen displaying a simple “?” which Meir had messaged.

Rolling her eyes at the briefness of the message, Bliss decided she only needed one word to reply as well. Taking out a Pokeball in one hand and motioning her younger partner to do the same, She, May and Pikachu assumed their battle stances. Typing out the word quickly, two trainers on the opposite side of the island received a shocking reply.

“Raikou” was all that the message said.

/\/\/\/\/\/\

Last edited:

Eon Master

Born from the Flames
Hang on, I just realized something. With Ash's Lucario's problems with it's aura, how did ash use it in the Sinnoh Leauge? He had to have used it, (he won after all) and if it had problems then, wouldn't he have noticed?

Edit: Plz add me to the PM list.

Last edited:

lunarshadow

Hadou Aprentice
Haven't done this in for-freaking ever! Earthborn, incredible job as always, I must say! I'm glad you haven't given up on your story; it's developing very very nicely. However, I've got to say that I'm slightly displeased with the little hints that you include such as small pecks and such, but otherwise I think it adds a good flavor to your story.

Back in Chapter 12, I genuinely laughed at those opening words! Very well done, keeping the visuals in check with real life situations. I love it!

Now, in Chapter 12 and 13, I've noticed that you do still pay attention to Cynthia's group, but not to the same extent of character development as you do with Meir's group. While not a terrible flaw, it would be better for the story to devote more time into the character development, particularly Dawn, Brock and Cynthia. We know them from the anime, but we don't know them the way you're trying to portray them as well as we do Ash and May. Just a small suggestion. By the way, I intend to load up chapter seven of my fiction very soon, so here's the link if you want to read and review it!

http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?p=10126576#post10126576

Mayziken

Advanceshipping<3
Yay it's my time to review the new chapter xD

I like this chapter also very much and I like that my prediction that I made after last chapter so far is correct :D

@lunarshadow: your not alone in being disappointed about the little hints we get in this fic. I don't remember how many time I have said it in a review.... do you remember EarthBorn?? But as I don't now how long this fic is going to be I'm happy with what I get :)

Keep up the good work EarthBorn :)

Edit: Rank UPPP :D