• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

DBZ Movie Crap ~ Dark Days Are Upon Us

DarkLegend

The Grand Draconian
I must say that the creators are talking quite a risk with this.
And as Grumpy Old Man said, they are trying to cram several sagas worth of plot into one 2-3 hour movie.

I wonder what the tone of the movie will be like.
Dark and grounded in reality like Batman Begins,
or a no holds barred overly stylized smash fest like 300?

BCVM22

I wonder what the tone of the movie will be like.
Dark and grounded in reality like Batman Begins,
or a no holds barred overly stylized smash fest like 300?

Or neither since Dragon Ball doesn't share a whole lot with either franchise?

Cipher

Nothing to be done
Or neither since Dragon Ball doesn't share a whole lot with either franchise?
I think I understand where he was coming from. I'd expect it will be "cartoony" in the vein of 300, but I wouldn't expect anywhere near the level of artistic direction.

And to clarify, it's not that I think this movie will be great. To be honest, it'll probably be terrible (though enjoyable.) But I am not willing to dismiss it on the grounds that it has different plot elements and origins than the original series. Maybe it's an East vs. West fiction thing. Fans of things like Batman, Transformers, Ninja Turtles, etc, have already seen dozens of different incarnations, so a new adaptation is nothing ruinous. With manga, the story usually begins and ends with its creator, at the very most having an anime adaptation that takes a slightly different path. So maybe the whole alternate Dragon Ball this movie promises seems vaguely threatening in that sense? I just really don't see what the big deal is.

Chris

Old Coot
I think I understand where he was coming from. I'd expect it will be "cartoony" in the vein of 300, but I wouldn't expect anywhere near the level of artistic direction.

And to clarify, it's not that I think this movie will be great. To be honest, it'll probably be terrible (though enjoyable.) But I am not willing to dismiss it on the grounds that it has different plot elements and origins than the original series. Maybe it's an East vs. West fiction thing. Fans of things like Batman, Transformers, Ninja Turtles, etc, have already seen dozens of different incarnations, so a new adaptation is nothing ruinous. With manga, the story usually begins and ends with its creator, at the very most having an anime adaptation that takes a slightly different path. So maybe the whole alternate Dragon Ball this movie promises seems vaguely threatening in that sense? I just really don't see what the big deal is.
EXCATLY! Lord knows how many different variations of Spider-Man and Batman there are in the comic books. You can even see that comic book super heroes started off as being really camp to being dark and mature for today's audience. Hell, Tony Stark's injury and capture has changed over the generations. First it was during the Vietnam War, then the Gulf War, and now during the events with Afghanistan.

Meanwhile, manga is written by ONE person and nothing more. What's problematic is that comic book heroes stick with the main companies that brought them around. The writers have close ties with the creators. Meanwhile, Dragon Ball is a tricky thing to do due to Toriyama forgetting nearly everything about the franchise and it would seem like the knowledge about the series is quite limited, considering what was mentioned about the story.