• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Death Mill (Dimir Mill, Ravnica block, - Gatecrash)

Lightning Dragon

LIGHTNING FLIGHT!!!!
This was my very first deck I got, and it's come a long way from a terrible basic mill, to screw everyone - consuming up your soul.

So... milling!

64 cards, 24 lands, 8 instances, 21 creatures (100 with stolen identity), 11 sourceries.

Lands: 24, used to be 30, and it ran so well... had to remove some.
Islands - 10
Swamps - 10 (Shinyy one)
Temple of Deceit - 2
Dimir Guildgate - 2

Creatures: 21
Deathcult Rogue - 3
Consuming Aberration - 4 (Finally)
Returned Centaur - 4
Nightveil Spector - 3 (Missing one more)
Clone - 4
Mirko Vosk, Mind Drinker - 1
Lazav, Dimir Mastermind - 1 (Think I should get 2, just in case....)

Sourceries - 11
Mind Grind - 3
Stolen Identity - 4
Divination - 1
Paranoid Delusions - 3

Instants - 8
Psychic Strike - 4
Crypt Incursion - 3
Dimir Charm - 1

So, I'm sure it's finished. But if there's anything else in rotation I could use, please let me know, I just entered FNM with this deck, lost all the time except for once at my boyfriend...

the3rdH0kage

Turn my Swag on!
So I'm sure some of the other players (Kamotz mainly) can offer some better advise. But I'll give it a shot. I'll give my card suggestions then I'll give my reasoning.

First off your deck should be 60 cards, I tend to do 61 but thats just me.
-2 Dimir Guildgate +2 Watery Grave
-1 Lazav, Dimir Mastermind +1 Temple of Deceit/Thassa, God of the Sea
-1 Clone +1 Nightveil Specter
-3 Deathcult Rouge +3 Tome Scour
-1 Divination +1 Mirko Vosk, Mind Drinker
-3 Crypt Incursion +1 Cyclonic Rift +2 Jace, Memory Adept

Now some reasoning

Lazav, Dimir Mastermind- He really doesn't fit into the whole milling theme of your deck, he is really there to just copy something. The space that he would take in the deck is better spent on something that can actually help towards your win-condition, which I choose a land because the extra scry is helpful, and controlling deck tend to want to hit a land drop as much as possible for the X spells (Mind Grind in your case), I also put Thassa in the spot because that gives you a creature generally by T4. and she can make your Mirko or your ciphered creatures Unblockable

Jace, Memory Adept- This guy is stupid, in mill decks he can honestly win the game on his own, if you can hit his 0 ability 3 times then most likely your going to win. But with Murderbore (Hero's Downfall) in the format, running Planeswalkers can get a tad risky.

Tome Scour- Probably the best T1 play B/U decks have if they are milling, The ability to start out of the gate milling 5 is awesome, and it can help get those last few cards in to win the game.

Cyclonic Rift- Same reason as Thassa can help get your attacks through.

I took out what I took out because they were either just bad cards in general, or there were better cards to take the place.

Kamotz

God of Monsters
I also put Thassa in the spot because that gives you a creature generally by T4. and she can make your Mirko or your ciphered creatures Unblockable.

How will he be getting her as a creature though? Based on your additions, the only creatures with U in the mana cost will be Nightveil Specter, Clone, Abberation, and Vosk. None of which can be played before Thassa. even if you're completely on curve, Thassa gets played turn 3, then what? Your best bet is playing a Nightveil Specter, but that still only gets your devotion up to 4. So then T5 you might be able to play another U creature (which is debatable with only 12 sources of U devotion). That's still 5 turns for your opponent to have an out, or just ignore your creatures and start attacking (forcing you to either block with the Specter or take some damage). And then that's several turns of not playing towards your milling endgame. This deck doesn't run Blue enough to play Thassa.

This was my very first deck I got, and it's come a long way from a terrible basic mill, to screw everyone - consuming up your soul.

So... milling!

64 cards, 24 lands, 8 instances, 21 creatures (100 with stolen identity), 11 sourceries.

Islands - 10
Swamps - 10 (Shinyy one)
Temple of Deceit - 2
Dimir Guildgate - 2

Creatures: 21
Deathcult Rogue - 3
Returned Centaur - 4
Clone - 4

Sourceries - 11
Mind Grind - 3
Stolen Identity - 4
Divination - 1
Paranoid Delusions - 3

Instants - 8
Psychic Strike - 4
Crypt Incursion - 3
Dimir Charm - 1

So, I'm sure it's finished. But if there's anything else in rotation I could use, please let me know, I just entered FNM with this deck, lost all the time except for once at my boyfriend...

You lost because Milling is pretty awful as a strategy. At least with the cards available right now. You really have no way to interact with the cards your opponent plays. Just the ones in their deck already. Everything you play needs at least 5 mana to be even marginally effective. You're playing only 1 Kill spell and four 3-mana counterspells. You're basically doing nothing turns 1, 2, and 3 (if you have that counter). While they sit back and just fill the board with things to kill you. You might get a Consuming Abberation out, but without a way to get rid of their creatures they'll just throw out chump blockers all day. Or just kill it before anything useful happens.

Lightning Dragon

LIGHTNING FLIGHT!!!!

So... milling!

Islands - 10
Swamps - 10 (Shinyy one)
Temple of Deceit - 2
Dimir Guildgate - 2

Creatures: 17
Deathcult Rogue - 4
Clone - 4

Sourceries - 16
Mind Grind - 4
Stolen Identity - 4
Tomb Scour - 4
Paranoid Delusions - 4

Instants - 8
Psychic Strike - 4
Aetherize - 3 (We're working on it)

Plainswalkers - 1

Jace, Memory Adept

Changes are in bold, any critisizim?

the3rdH0kage

Turn my Swag on!
I saw your VM, I'm busy prepping for FNM atm (unproxing and such) and I'm about to run and get food. I'll do a indepth analysis thing after Round 1.

Kamotz

God of Monsters
You're currently at 65 cards, which doesn't optimize your deck and its draws. At 60 your optimal land count is between 23 and 25 (so 24 is pretty perfect). Once you go higher you also need to increase your land ratio as well, and your deck just gets more and more watered (landed) down.

Your creatures are sub-par and underwhelming. Deathcult Rogue is pretty terrible. He's an unblockable 2/2...and that's it. In a field of 4/4 Blood Barons with Pro Black/White and Lifelink, your little 2/2 won't do much of anything. Clone is...okay, I guess. But so many decks these days run synergistic creatures over "value" creatures, that your Clone might only come in as a Burning-Tree Emissary or a Sylvan Caryatid. And is that really worth 4 mana?

Biggest gripe: you're not playing enough kill spells. No Doom Blade, no Ultimate Price, no Hero's Downfall, no Rapid Hybridization, no Devour Flesh.

the3rdH0kage

Turn my Swag on!
Sorry got caught up in some casual games, and testing for a PTQ I'm competing in tomorrow. But just follow what Kamotz said.