• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Death Note.

Lucille

You be worshipping ME now, me bitch.

Yes master *bows*

Eventually Light would have died anyway, so I don't know how far he was planning to go... maybe he would have appointed a successor.

Wasn't Mikami the successor?

Rys

Postcount melting!
eh ?

HK

Radiance of Shadows
I hated them all because they contributed to Kira's defeat.
Haha. Although I do kinda want to know what would've happened if he'd got away with it! I think his idea about removing crime was pretty cool but he ended up killing any old person just to get his way/not get caught so it was just "killing for justice" any more.
itt delusional twats that think tyranny and objectivism are the solutions for solving the world's problems

Umbreon-dana

Phat Philanthropist
I'm quite surprised at the lack of posts by Dion in this thread. o_O

itt delusional twats that think tyranny and objectivism are the solutions for solving the world's problems

I'm sorry, what am I again? D=<

Eventually Light would have died anyway, so I don't know how far he was planning to go... maybe he would have appointed a successor.

I have to agree with that, I'm almost certain he would've died sooner or later, probably for the same reasons he died in the anime/manga. It just happened sooner, rather than later.

Well, he had a God complex, I doubt he would have hired a successor. =/

But you couldn't mistake Near for another character.

True to the dat.

There aren't that many albino cop children running around nowadays, are there? =?

HK

Radiance of Shadows

Pellio

Camp Casual Citizen
Hold your bleeding horses; I did NOT say his plan was correct! I said it was a cool idea... as in quite interesting (especially for a story) and you come along and say I'm a ****! Don't bother quoting me if you can't read it properly :/ (while you do that I'll learn to type whilst drunk :) I meant wasn't not was, not that it makes a whole lot of difference, I find you very rude...)

Also what's all this "you couldn't confuse Near with another character" business about? who else in the show could've been confused with each other?

ParaChomp

be your own guru
I liked how Near and Mellow were introduced they gave a more rushed feel!!!

How was it not correct? He was ridding the world of criminals. People who are dirt. He is justice.

I like animes like that, with a vilanous protagonist, its gives it more "Shazam"!

Pellio

Camp Casual Citizen

HK

Radiance of Shadows
How was it not correct? He was ridding the world of criminals. People who are dirt. He is justice.
That's not justice, that's petty tyranny. It's control through coercion and fear; justice exists through the people's will, not an unruly dictator.

Who are you to say who deserves death? Where's the limit drawn on crimes committed? Drug dealers who indirectly lead to the destruction of numerous families, or a person who kills just one human being in a fit of blind rage? Are you even aware of the frequency that innocent people are sentenced to death?

Even going beyond that, Light wasn't just killing death row inmates. People who committed lesser crimes were also killed, because prisons were being cleaned out. You're saying theft and drug abuse should warrant capital punishment?

He even planned on going beyond criminals. He eventually wanted to kill people for being lazy and not contributing to society -- Takami just declared this too early.

If you didn't agree with Kira at all, any form of decension warranted death. It's a guranteed consequence of such a tyrannical system; cults of nutjobs who think Kira is "justice" sought out people who did this. He didn't even give a damn about his own family; when his father was on death's door, all he cared about was killing Mello.

Furthermore, he was beyond proving innocence or guilt; he saw the news, and killed people only based on those reports.

Even if you somehow want to believe that the death penalty is justified if it actually deterred people from committing crimes, that's still not getting to the root of the problem. You have plenty of rich ****s who commit crimes out of pure greed; yet, while some in lower classes do so, as well, these crimes are born out of situations that aren't solved just by killing off criminals. Societal ills aren't solved that while; improper discrimination and injustice -- racism, sexism, classism, et cetera -- are far more nuanced and complex. Light's "justice" doesn't solve those problems problems, but rather ignores them.

Hold your bleeding horses; I did NOT say his plan was correct! I said it was a cool idea... as in quite interesting (especially for a story) and you come along and say I'm a ****! Don't bother quoting me if you can't read it properly :/ (while you do that I'll learn to type whilst drunk :) I meant wasn't not was, not that it makes a whole lot of difference, I find you very rude...)
You said that his idea of removing crime was "cool." You made absolutely no specification on whether you meant that in the context of it making an interesting story, or that you approved of it; given the ending of the sentence in question, it's entirely appropriate of an interpretation to see you also approving the method.

I'll be less "rude" if you can actually bother to elucidate your thoughts.

Also what's all this "you couldn't confuse Near with another character" business about? who else in the show could've been confused with each other?
wat

Pellio

Camp Casual Citizen
You said that his idea of removing crime was "cool." You made absolutely no specification on whether you meant that in the context of it making an interesting story, or that you approved of it; given the ending of the sentence in question, it's entirely appropriate of an interpretation to see you also approving the method.

I'll be less "rude" if you can actually bother to elucidate your thoughts.

wat

Haha first off, lighten up. Secondly, I may have not made much indication as to what I meant by it, but I kind of assumed people would get it, since all I said was his IDEA about removing crime (not his method, his idea)... And also, if you didn't know what I meant by it you shouldn't have commented on it in such a challenging way, if you were that concerned you could've asked :/ Also, I said in my last post I typed "was" by accident instead of "wasn't" meaning that although it might have seemed like a "righteous" plan to him initially he ended up being worse than the people he was punishing just to push his point. Also, no matter what you say, calling people delusional twats is always rude :) Especially when you're trying to claim that I think "tyranny and objectivism are the solutions to the world's problems"... Which I don't. I don't actually think there is plausible solution, just to let you know.

Also, I wasn't aiming that last bit at you, that was to whoever said that you could confuse Mello with another character, when the only similar ones I noticed were Near being a small grey haired "not quite L".

The Doctor

Absolute Beginner

Yanno, I plan on starting a geniocracy one day. Don't know what means without checking an online dictionary or Wikipedia? Then you'd be a second-class citizen and my secret police would come round and quietly euthanize you.

For the record, a geniocracy is where only those with the proper IQ are allowed to vote, and those with at least 50 points over the average control everything. Sounds brutal? That's more or less Kira's Empire, but based on morals rather than intelligence. And even that's shaky. "Good" and "evil" are meaningless terms that differ from society to society.

Jeffrey Dahmer, for instance; the man did murder, rape and cannibalize young men, but I wouldn't call him "evil". He wasn't wringing his hands and cackling while he did it, he was mentally disturbed. He killed those men out of a twisted display of love, but that's not evil. It wasn't done maliciously. The man's wires were clearly crossed, and he didn't deserve to be beaten to death in prison. It's reasons like that I disagree with the death penalty.

Because when you think about it, what is death exactly? For all we know, maybe it's an existence greater than life itself, when you finally become one with the universe and gain an understanding beyond normal human comprehension. There's no reason or evidence for suggesting this, but then there isn't any for a divine puppet master who hates them gay folk, either.

There's no set meaning for "justice"; like good and evil, it changes. I could instigate genocide under the pretence of justice to prevent overpopulation, but would you agree to that? If not, then why the hell do you agree with the ambitions of a narcisstic little **** with a Messiah complex?

Um yeah, he ended up a total mess...

Also, are you talking about Mello? I thought he was a good character.

Hell yeah he did Xd

Yes, I meant Mello, he was a mess of a character, oo wow, a stubborn adolescent boy, like we need another one of those >.>

His name says Mellow, but he has no patience and is a sore*ss looser, he thought and acted drastically and was unworthy of being the successor to L, no one could ever BE L, not Near, not Mello, not nobody >=P

But at least Near had cool hair =O

L Lawliet

i believe Light is right in one way, it would put fear into criminals and innocent people could live normally and peacefully tho i'd see if the person has a mental illness or not.

The Doctor

Absolute Beginner
i believe Light is right in one way, it would put fear into criminals and innocent people could live normally and peacefully tho i'd see if the person has a mental illness or not.

That's not "real" peace, though, is it? It's peace by dictatorship.

Pellio

Camp Casual Citizen
Hell yeah he did Xd

Yes, I meant Mello, he was a mess of a character, oo wow, a stubborn adolescent boy, like we need another one of those >.>

His name says Mellow, but he has no patience and is a sore*ss looser, he thought and acted drastically and was unworthy of being the successor to L, no one could ever BE L, not Near, not Mello, not nobody >=P

But at least Near had cool hair =O
Too true haha.

Heheh each to their own, but I liked him, gave a kind of almost humorous feel with the whole "classic baddies" with the mafia and what not, a little release from the tension between boring-face Near and Light :p Near did have cool hair, but you're right, L is where it (was) at.

Also to the Doctor; I feel bad that your epic post was kind of looked over, but I see where you're coming from; Light's idea of "Justice/good/evil" was quite naiive compared to the way his mind worked through the rest of the show, and it was probably just an excuse to go on a power trip because he's a mental case.