• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Death: The Next Big Journey?

legendarypokemonmaster

So humans are the only animal which go to an afterlife? What about chimps, bonobos, and other great apes? Why does one animal carry on, but the other species suddenly go into oblivion. If you believe that only humans go, then you believe that there is also nothing after death as other species go no where.

And at what point did humans begin to go to an afterlife? We weren't always what we are now.

There is no afterlife. Humans are just a highly imaginative (and inventive) species.
Yes, no, Maybe, probably.

Pffffft, of course there is an afterlife.

Missingno
Posted by marioguy
If you have schizophrenia and you think everyone is a robot that you must kill, that's also oaky.

Firstly, schizophrenia is a mental disorder. Imagination is not. Secondly, one does not kill robots because they aren't alive in the first place. And please look at my post in the Ethics debate, and if you can't be bothered to do that, I'll quickly restate what I said. You don't just go around killing people, that is not okay. (And please notice how I spell okay)

Posted by SunnyC
The sentimental value is real, of course.
That's what I meant.

To be on topic: I don't believe in heaven and hell. I think that when you die your mind doesn't wake up.

Sabconth

Kanto Ranger
Man, I think I'd get tired of living forever.

There's something special about knowing our time isn't infinite, it makes everything we do, and everyone we know that much more treasured.

Mrs Mime

a little haphazard
Man, I think I'd get tired of living forever.

There's something special about knowing our time isn't infinite, it makes everything we do, and everyone we know that much more treasured.

I agree with this.

I think we've moved on since the primitive times where we believed in gods, afterlife, etc. What is actually reality as you're alive now is far more interesting and fasinating than people are aware.

Foxyvulpixie

thug life
is there any proof that souls exist? that always made me curious.
oh, and there were some people saying that they had a past life as a different person when they went though this past life therapy thing. i don't really remember. i just saw it on tv once.

omg! what a beautiful thing to say about life ;w;

Flame Mistress

I am not afraid of death; not just because of the stuff I learnt at church, but also because I know it will be peaeful, like freedom from turmoil.

@OP: You know, I've been thinking the same about my best friend who recently died... wonder what she was thinking (if she even had time to...).

lugia p

zekrom trainer
Pokefan I don't disagree with you but I do have to ask, isn't knowing that you will go to heaven prideful and thus evidence of committing a cardinal sin? I keep seeing these "proud christian" sigs and I have to wonder if the users realize the oxymoron they have professed. Since being proud can condemn someone to hell...

That kind of pride is not a sin. Oh look at my sig. Its only a sin if it leeds you to think youre better then someone else. The sig is basicly saying were not ashamed to admit that we are christain.

MissingNoHunter

Cannon Time.
That kind of pride is not a sin. Oh look at my sig. Its only a sin if it leeds you to think youre better then someone else. The sig is basicly saying were not ashamed to admit that we are christain.

It kind of is saying you're better than other people. Half the church group people I know walk around saying "We're going to Heaven and you're gonna burn, haha." Not exactly modest... Also, stupidity should REALLY be a sin.

Ace Of Keys

Me and My sketch pad
Death is a strange thing, because we know nothing of what happens after we fear it and yet it allows us to have balance and bring forth the things needed for rebirth. Its a strange feeling, it can be cold and distant and yet warm and inviting. It is punisher and at the same time a savior. I don't think there is anything more contradictory than death ;)

CSolarstorm

New spicy version
It kind of is saying you're better than other people. Half the church group people I know walk around saying "We're going to Heaven and you're gonna burn, haha." Not exactly modest... Also, stupidity should REALLY be a sin.

Not really. Saying that stupidity should be a sin is kind of like saying you're better than other people.

Christians get more grief for their lifestyle nowadays. They can't express their beliefs without them being deconstructed and criticized on the spot. Stuff like that signature is just to keep them feeling confident about themselves. Nothing wrong with that.

lugia p

zekrom trainer

And people like that are stupid, were all equal no matter race, religion, sexual preference, or stupidity.

WynautQueen

Pokemon Caretaker
Can you prove a negative?

Burden of proof. No one's ever seen a soul, or evidence of one that can be conclusively proven.

I don't care for the idea of my body ceasing all functions permanently due to any cause, but it's just part of how life works. And I'm certainly not so self-important as to insist on being buried in an ornate, cushioned box or stuck in some sort of monument or mausoleum. What a waste of space. If I'm able, I'll be requesting to be buried without a coffin, with a tree instead of a gravestone.

Kuraikarasu

Isn't that Dandy?
@WynautQueen I think what he was getting at was that while i respect your opinion is that with our limited ammount of technology we possess no way of disproving if a soul exists or not much like aliens. just because no one has ever seen an alien before or has been able to prove their existence it does not mean they CAN'T possibly exist.

And Religion or the belief of the afterlife (even the Disbelief of it) is basically a big gamble anyway, whether it be right or wrong. Because once the last little second ticks away the only thing that matters is... was it worth it in the end.

Last edited:

DarkLink3

Banned
I think Death is just another voyage in life.

Ivanka

Freeeeeeeeee
I would admit that I'm scared of death. I don't have any clear thoughts on what happens once you do die. I'm not much of a believer in heaven and hell. Some people say it's just an eternal sleep, which seems easy to believe but I think there's more to it than that. What that 'more' is, I have no idea. D:

ShadowKyogre443

오션 마스터
When you have loved ones who have died, you feel different about things. I used to be afraid to die, but now I just think that it's just another part of life. If I had to pass on right now, I would be ok.

Mrs Mime

a little haphazard
I've had many loved ones pass on, but I still firmly believe there is nothing. Why the hell would there be?

I think that there is something after, just not necessarily an afterlife.

Personally, I don't want to die early. My loved ones will be terribly despondent, and I don't want that to happen.

If people carried on like normal after I died, than I would be perfectly fine with passing on.

ebilly99

Americanreigon champ
Do computers that are self aware go to heaven, as they never ate from the apple?
Do computers need to believe that jesus died on the cross.
Are self aware computers even alive?