• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Death: The Next Big Journey?

Dear Insanity

above average
As far as I see it, you are your brain. Once you are brain dead, you are gone. You will decompose under the earth or be cremated and the cycle of life will continue.

Death will presumably feel like it did before you were born and came into existence, which obviously no one can remember. For this reason, I don't see a point of fearing death because you're not even going to have time to think about it when you dead anyway, and it won't be distressing or anything.

Despite knowing that there's no real reason to, it does get to me from time to time that my time alive is limited, but I suppose that there's no point worrying about something that is completely inevitable.

"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it."
— Mark Twain

Don't get me wrong, I'm terrified of death. If I can make it to 80 it might make things easier, but I'm hoping we'll get lucky and have science develop aging treatments sometime in the next 40-60 years.

Aenea

Creator Of Victory
"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it."
? Mark Twain

Don't get me wrong, I'm terrified of death. If I can make it to 80 it might make things easier, but I'm hoping we'll get lucky and have science develop aging treatments sometime in the next 40-60 years.

That's a great quote.

I take some comfort from knowing that after death something can be left behind, that however small my part it could influence something far off into the future, untill everything including tiny atoms that once made my body is once again rejoined to a single speck in the big crunch.

Seeing that my life is nothing more than a gaping, black void, I consider death as freedom - freedom from this curse that I've been enduring all of this time.

On another note, the only things that drive me to endure my curse are video games & the internet. If I didn't have any of those, I'd most likely jump off the roof of my house or something...

MasterLucario

No life till leather
Seeing that my life is nothing more than a gaping, black void, I consider death as freedom - freedom from this curse that I've been enduring all of this time.

On another note, the only things that drive me to endure my curse are video games & the internet. If I didn't have any of those, I'd most likely jump off the roof of my house or something...

I'd get help I were you. Seriously. The internet will only depress you more.

But on the topic of this thread, I consider death the end. I used to Christian, but even then I didn't really believe too much in heaven or any place after you die. It is a nice thought, however, to live your life thinking there's an entire, eternal one waiting for you.

There is no soul. There is no afterlife. When we die we cease to exist. I have seen the end and there is nothing.

Malanu

Est sularus oth mith
There is no soul. There is no afterlife. When we die we cease to exist. I have seen the end and there is nothing.
This requires a bit of explaining Mattj... What do you mean you've seen? Have you had a near death experience or are you just being sarcastic?

As much as I'd like to be brave and noble and say, "Death is a part of life," I am afraid of dying. Not so much the actual physical bit of dying, but more the emotional bit - thinking about what I'll miss, and who I'll leave behind. I came close to dying of meningitis just over five years ago, and whilst at the time I was mostly unconscious, looking back I am really incredibly grateful for the fact that I recovered when I think of all the experiences I've had since.

And about two years ago my father was diagnosed with lymphoma, just as my stepmother was pregnant with my half sister. Although he put on a brave face for the rest of us, he tells us now that Christmas that year was the best of his life, as months earlier he'd not only experienced the birth of his daughter, but doctors had told him the chemotherapy had worked wonders on his tumour and that his chances of survival had increased drastically. If I put myself in his shoes - having to consider the possibility that I might never see my daughter - I'd have been afraid of dying, definitely. I don't claim to know whether anything awaits beyond death (personally I'm skeptical of the idea, but reincarnation is a nice thought), but, regardless, I'd ideally like to get as much out of this life as possible.

emboarrocks

#1 emboar fan
not afraid of death but afraid of a painful death

Nephos

Lelouch Lamperouge
I have to die eventually I don't know when I don't know how but I do. I am not afraid of dying it is just one more thing I have to do before the end. I tend not to get into debate of what comes after though seeing as whatever is or is not there I can't change. I have no control over it so whatever happens simply happens

Waterlover711

<=my doggy(prof.pic)
i accept death and i dont care where i go when i die..ive been a good person so it doesnt matter to me....in my opinion i think that what ever religion you are is the place youll go to when ur dead

Arceus94

When I die. I plan to stay dead. No more suffering, no more thinking or choices.
I have accepted that i eventually will die. I do not care about what happens after (If there is anything)

Last edited:
I hope there is an afterlife. Just so I can ask someone "why?" Why did this happen? Why did that happen? I think many of the low points in life are difficult to take because we often don't get explanations. Living and then simply dying and going nowhere afterward would be...upsetting. And it would be a little like if someone broke into my apartment, tied me up, beat me for four hours with a tactical baton, and then untied me and left. I think I would rather go to hell because at least there would be meaning in that.

I've read stories about people who have had near death experiences. I'm not sure what to make of these stories.

EDIT: Left off part of a word.

lugia p

zekrom trainer
Death is nothing to fear. The only thing scary is wondering how you will die. Will it be slow and painful or in your sleep or will the world just end before you die? It is simply the next stage in the life cycle, after that the afterlife.

Pinkle

I accept I will die one day, as for what happens after death I believe it's the same thing as before you were born. Nothing. Either that, or we are re-incarnated into another life form with no memory of this life, or lives before.

GetOutOfBox

Original Series Fan
As far as we can tell, death is pretty much just like a dreamless-sleep that never ends. There's literally nothing to suggest otherwise.

Such a thing sounds terrifying, but when you get older ("old" depending on your health, a 70 year old with advanced-stage cancer likely feels older than a healthy 90 year old) and your body loses its capabilities to allow you to fully enjoy life, death is not too bad an ending. Better death than to live forever in a wrinkled, weak shell. The most important thing is to have lived a full and adventurous life, and to not leave anything left unsaid or done.

I personally want to do something similar to what Morgan Freeman's character in the "Bucket List" movie did; to create a list of a bunch of things I'd always wanted to do but put off because I was scared/didn't have the time. Get a few last thrills out of life before I'm incapable of them.

Calamity™

aka Lamia
I'm scared of death mainly because it's an uncertainty. We'll never know what happens after death. Obviously those who are religious will have their own theories, but there really is no proof.
I'd like to think that there is something new after death, something completely different to life. I guess we'll all find out someday. lol

JetshipperKekkaishi

High School DxD Fanatic
I'm not scared of Death because it is going to happen anyway. Death is the end point of life and suffering.I think that there is an afterlife but who knows into you die.