• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Death: The Next Big Journey?

Metagross Guy

ᴸ м f ᴬ σ.
Death, to me, is something that no one can avoid.
Its evident, and to be honest, after you have lived your entire life and went through the ups and the downs, a new path/journey is something you would be thrilled to enter.
As a strong Christian, I believe that God will take us away from this chaotic Earth when he thinks we shall join him, Live life to the fullest and never be afraid of death, depending on how you live your life, you will live your afterlife.

Noheart

The Abysswalker
No one knows for sure. There is nothing disproving an afterlife, and there is nothing proving it either. This makes all religious debates futile and a pointless activity without gain.

Thinking about what happens after death is unhealthy, because it doesn't matter. Live your life, when your time comes, you'll get your answer.

Agnosticism ftw.

Last edited:

CSolarstorm

New spicy version
There is nothing disproving an afterlife, and there is nothing proving it either. This makes all religious debates futile and a pointless activity without gain.

Not really. Gain can happen without one side winning. It's the experience and the unique questions that a religious debate can raise that benefit the debaters.

A different subject, I know. But the same can kind of be applied to thinking about what happens after death. Dwelling on it is different though, but so it dwelling on anything.

Malanu

Est sularus oth mith
I find the religious debate over the afterlife silly. In a nutshell the basic argument is: If you lead a good life (according to your faith) you will go to a good place (Heaven, Valhalla, Elysian fields, etc) If you fail to follow the rules you get punished (Hell, Niflheim, Hades, etc).

The only different conclusions I have heard of is in Native American beliefs involve The Spirit World, which though similar to heaven, residents there still have a hand in the lives of the living... usually when called for.

So there isn't much difference in afterlife beliefs when you boil away the thee and thou.

Pokefan1023

Pokemon Breeder :)
I personally am a Christian. I believe there is a Heaven and a Hell after life, and that God will judge you accordingly. So, I am not very afraid of death. I believe that God will judge me fairly. I know that obviously, a lot of you will disagree. That's fine with me.

In line with my beliefs, I don't really feel like death is the next journey, per say. I feel like death is peace and rest and happiness after a life where there is pain, sorrow, and hardship. If you go to Heaven, of course :)

Malanu

Est sularus oth mith
Pokefan I don't disagree with you but I do have to ask, isn't knowing that you will go to heaven prideful and thus evidence of committing a cardinal sin? I keep seeing these "proud christian" sigs and I have to wonder if the users realize the oxymoron they have professed. Since being proud can condemn someone to hell...

Grei

not the color
That doesn't make any sense. Why would you think death is the start of anything? There are reason why people are against thinking like that. For one, deluding yourself won't help you. It does matter if you're right or wrong. I personally don't want to waste my time believing something just to make myself feel better.

Death would be the start of your journey in "the spirit world," in "heaven," in "hell," or whatever afterlife you believe.

marioguy, I know you're brash and naive but I really don't appreciate you talking down what are potentially my beliefs, and the beliefs of others. As put by legendarypokemonmaster:

Believing in something to make yourself feel better certainly is not a waste of time.

Furthermore, it does not matter if you're right or wrong. If you die as someone who thinks that death is the next big journey, then you are certainly not worse off than the guy who dies believing that death was the ultimate end. So long as one dies with contentment about where they are going, what they believe does not matter in the least because they'll be dead no matter what.

"Deluding" yourself in order to find happiness and contentment in death is far from a waste of time. Not being content or happy on one's deathbed is one of the worst scenarios I can think up. Anyone should be able to find contentment in death by their own means, and people like you really don't have a right to judge if they're "wasting their time" or not. Just saying.

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw

Then again, what did Shaw know? He wanted to gas the handicapped and the homeless. What a pillar of moral integrity he was.

I'm not sure if I understand Shaw's point.

CSolarstorm

New spicy version
If you die as someone who thinks that death is the next big journey, then you are certainly not worse off than the guy who dies believing that death was the ultimate end. So long as one dies with contentment about where they are going, what they believe does not matter in the least because they'll be dead no matter what.

"Deluding" yourself in order to find happiness and contentment in death is far from a waste of time. Not being content or happy on one's deathbed is one of the worst scenarios I can think up. Anyone should be able to find contentment in death by their own means, and people like you really don't have a right to judge if they're "wasting their time" or not. Just saying.

I'm not sure if I understand Shaw's point.

Shaw's point was simply that just because someone who is religious is happier, doesn't make their beliefs any truer - or effective, for that matter. Just like being drunk is a temporary state, so is the comfort you get from believing. At least, that is what I take away from that quote.

It reminds me of that paper the vet gives you after they euthanize your pet. It has a little picture of a rainbow and doggy heaven and a nice poem on it. It's really bullsh*t. Not the idea of doggy heaven. It may very well exist. But this act of the same people who just put down the dog, reassuring us that it went on to a better place - that is horribly mendacious.

I personally wouldn't want to derive comfort from something I don't believe, because then I'm being insincere. I've dedicated my life to pursuing truth. It would be dishonorable if I gave that all up for a facade of comfort at my eleventh hour.

Last edited:

fire_man

BurnUDown
Recently, a family member of mine was put in the hospital. She is old and has lived her life. As sad as I am, I wonder what is going through her head right now.

So I want to know what you think death is. Are you scared of it? Do you think you cease to exist? Or do you accept it? Is a warm and inviting after a long, full life of love and happiness? Do you see it as the next big journey? The one so much better than this?

Personally, I am not afraid of death. I see it as something to be welcomed when the time comes- the end of this life and the beginning of a new, better one. For me, I won't be sad toleave this world with its wars and hatred. I will be sad for my loved ones. They must stay behind, thinking they are really still alive, when they haven't even begun to live.

Of course, not everyone has this opinion, and I'm not here to bash others opinions on the matter either. What you believe is what you believe and I respect that even if I don't agree with it. So what is death to you?

I would definitely say that there is a life after this one.This life is only the beggining.

CSolarstorm

New spicy version
Just imagine how many flies would be there.

And would they have a lord?

Timing messed up the joke...

That's a lot of insects to have an afterlife. That's got to be the most complicated afterlife system there is; I wonder how much of a priority humans would be if every organism ever had an afterlife. We're not that numerous.

Missingno
I'm not afraid of death. We will all die someday, and there is no avoiding it. Why live life afraid of the unaviodable? You will leave people behind, but if there is an afterlife they will stay with you, in your memories.

To the pursuer of truth that I can't be bothered to look up your username, so much of truth is what you believe. If you have an imaginary friend, they exist, to you. If you are making yourself believe it, that's a different situation all together.

Sadib

Time Lord Victorious
I'm not afraid of death. We will all die someday, and there is no avoiding it. Why live life afraid of the unaviodable? You will leave people behind, but if there is an afterlife they will stay with you, in your memories.

To the pursuer of truth that I can't be bothered to look up your username, so much of truth is what you believe. If you have an imaginary friend, they exist, to you. If you are making yourself believe it, that's a different situation all together.

If you have schizophrenia and you think everyone is a robot that you must kill, that's also oaky.

CSolarstorm

New spicy version

Who has an imaginary friend that they aren't 'making themselves believe in'? When kids pretend they have imaginary friends, they know they are pretending, that their imaginary friend does not actually exist. The sentimental value is real, of course.

Honestly as somebody who has been severely sick, I am actually very determined to observe my experiences exactly as they happened and hold onto them.

Last edited:
I belive in an afterlife. Not for religious reasons, just 'cos I don't like the idea that humans are just machines that rot in the ground forever.

Mrs Mime

a little haphazard
And would they have a lord?

Timing messed up the joke...

That's a lot of insects to have an afterlife. That's got to be the most complicated afterlife system there is; I wonder how much of a priority humans would be if every organism ever had an afterlife. We're not that numerous.

So humans are the only animal which go to an afterlife? What about chimps, bonobos, and other great apes? Why does one animal carry on, but the other species suddenly go into oblivion. If you believe that only humans go, then you believe that there is also nothing after death as other species go no where.

And at what point did humans begin to go to an afterlife? We weren't always what we are now.

There is no afterlife. Humans are just a highly imaginative (and inventive) species.

Clipps

Beginning Trainer
What's wrong with y'all. Don't you learn anything from South Park? It's Mormans that get into heavan.

Anyway, with all jokes asside, it's easier to say you are not afraid of death when your young because unless something unfortunate happens, it will be a while before death occurs so there's nothing to worry at the moment. I'm not saying I'm old either. I'm only 23 and unless some unforeseen event happens and I die young, it will be a while before I die. I do believe in Jesus and that he's the the only path to heavan (please don't turn this into a religious war, it's what I believe, if you don't agree, I'm fine with it) and so when I die, I have faith that I'll be in the hands of the Lord. I do believe that heavan is the greatest of great, the best of the best, the most awesome of the most awesome, and I also believe in hell and that it's the worst of the worst, etc.

Even with all of that said, do I want to die right now? No. I don't want to die. I still have a long time left on this planet and I want to live it as best as I can before I go. Am I afraid of death, better believe it. I don't know how painful it is, I don't know what it feels like, I know that it's "the end". I wonder what goes through the minds of an elderly person, a person that's teminally ill, and a person that got themselves into something inwhich death is iminent(falling off a building, under water with no hope, etc.) They know that the end is coming in a few minutes/seconds/days/etc. That has to be scary.

PrismaticPrincessAnna

I'll do my Lilliest
I dunno..I wanna die but I'm too scared when I tried to harm myself, I tend to stop and think about what'll happen if I was really gone

But I think afterlife is some place where you'll be happy..
But thats what I think :p nya