• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Death: The Next Big Journey?

ebilly99

Americanreigon champ
What josephus wrote 63) About this time there lived Jesus, a wise man, if indeed one ought to call him a man. For he was one who performed paradoxical deeds and was a teacher of such people as accept the truth gladly. He won over many Jews and many Greeks. He was the Christ. (64) When Pilate, upon hearing him accused by men of the highest standing among us, had condemned him to be crucified, those who had in the first place come to love him did not give up their affection for him. On the third day he appeared to them restored to life, for the prophets of God had prophesied these and countless other marvelous things about him. And the tribe of the Christians, so called after him, has still to this day not disappeared.

Red is interloptions, Was there a man named Jesus... Sure, as was Apolion and others at that time.

? Remember I'm a bit outta date with my scriptures and apostles... What did Paul say?
See I Corinthians 15:1-8. He says, not only that Jesus appeared to him after Jesus' death, but also that Jesus appeared to others. Some emphasize the fact that Paul mentions over five hundred Christians to whom Christ appeared, and I believe this is important. In my mind, however, the fact that Paul started out hostile to this religious movement (even putting them in jail) lends more weight to Paul's own experience, and I treat his statements about appearances to other people as evidence that Paul's beliefs were held by numerous earlier Christians.

As for Inanna, if you wish to ignore the similarity of descending to the after world and returning that's up to you. The point is, it is a part of a religion prior to Christianity by two centuries or more. Not to mention, how do you get proof of a divine being descending from a heaven into the underworld. There isn't any physical evidence of Jesus doing it why does Inanna have to be held to a higher burden of proof?
Your straw man argument is careless and misleading. I ignored nothing.

You ignored the fact that the Inanna myth featured her dying after she got to the underworld (where she had already done all sorts of stuff). Aside from some passages in the New Testament with debated meaning, there is nothing indicating that Jesus did anything specific while dead. The point was that He came back, and people saw Him after He came back.

It is not that Jesus went down to the underworld that I attempt to prove. He died. There's plenty of evidence for that--so much that it is beyond doubt in most liberal circles. I've offered evidence that He was seen alive after death.

As an example of what I mean, answer me this: what would it take for you to stop believing in God and start believing in Thor? Can I ever convince you to drop your faith if I tried?
There are a number of things.

(1) Show actual reasons why the bias of the disciples for Jesus would cause them to distort facts to put forth the idea that He'd come back to life if in fact He did no such thing. This motive would have to also explain why they were willing to suffer for their beliefs, since some of them were imprisoned or even killed. (And just in case you're thinkin' it...don't try to use the opulence of centuries-later cathedrals to allege that the disciples had a financial motive.)

(2) Produce the body. Multiple pieces of information support the idea that the tomb was empty. Matthew writes that the Jewish leaders bribed the guard at Jesus' tomb to say "His disciples came at night and stole Him away while we slept" (Matt. 28:13 NKJV). In verse 15, Matthew goes on to say that this story is widely told in Jewish circles up to the time of Matthew's writing. As Robert E. Van Voorst comments, "The significant historical difficulties of this Matthean passage do not militate against its closing point, that this story was widely current among Jews as anti-resurrection polemic when this Gospel was written. Matthew would be unlikely to report, much less invent, such a vivid, powerful anti-Christian story if it were not in circulation." (Robert E. Van Voorst, Jesus Outside the New Testament [Grand Rapids, Eerdman's, 2000], page 132).

(3) Show some eyewitness evidence, or at least some kind of evidence, for the existence of Thor.

A bit incorrect there. The idea that the universe as we know it started with a "bang" (i.e. an expansion of some sort) is the simplest explanation that corresponds with various extraterrestrial observations (I'm not an astronomer nor am I a theoretical physicist, so don't delve too deep here). However, adding any extra details on top of that "bang" adds numerous questions that must be answered, and "God did it" is no exception (e.g. questions such as: for what reason and how is God the sole exception to the "everything had to come from somewhere" rule?). If you're going to claim that some higher intelligence set something in motion, you're going to have to prove it or concede that we just don't know at this point.
You too are a bit incorrect there. There is no rule that everything must come from something. Though I believe that God made the mass-energy of the universe, I do not assume that this is accepted by others. For the purposes of debate, I work under the assumption that the mass-energy of the universe may have always existed, hence I don't expect any non-theist to explain its origin.

Every event, however, demands a sufficient cause. The Big Bang was undoubtedly an event. Other proposed causes, such as a quantum vacuum, an eternal cycle of expansion and contraction, or some event in another universe, invoke many more entities than some God, and are no more testable.

There are some posts in the debate about religion, atheism and agnosticism which I think you should look at. Please start with this one, the ones I link in it, and my responses.

According to dictionary.com, "wrong" means "not in accordance with what is morally right or good: a wrong deed".

Since morals themselves are subjective, I'd say "inherently wrong" is an invalid concept.
And I hold that there exists a conscience which cannot be explained as mere social conditioning, and it indicates to me and countless others, even those who don't believe there is such a thing as a conscience, that destroying the world is objectively wrong no matter the social conditioning. Don't you watch Saturday morning cartoons like Pokémon?

They were all Jesus' disciples. A significant degree of bias there.
I acknowledge that the disciples had a bias for their teacher. However, such a bias does not prove the likelihood of deliberate fabrication. This article gives a similar example.

Open-mindedness: being open to the possbility that there are other possible explanations for this "Paul's conversion" of which you speak.
You need to show more than possibility. You need to show probability. I've heard the explanations: heatstroke, secret sympathy for Christians, even the idea that Paul never believed Jesus was a real human to begin with (the last of which fails to account for Paul's mention of the Lord's brother James in Galatians 1:19). These all fail to take something into account, and/or use special pleading to avoid giving evidence. The best probability, based on the evidence, is that Paul became convinced that he'd seen Jesus because...he actually did see Jesus.

There is record of "paradoxical deeds", which are stated to be "extraordinary events caused by God". I'm sure you know where I'm going with this, but "apparent paradox, therefore miracles, therefore Yahweh" is not a logical argument.

On top of this, there was no extensive study done on any of these "paradoxical deeds". Thus, we can't be sure if they were actually "paradoxical" or merely the result of sleight-of-hand combined with trickery and a game of historical "Chinese Whispers". I'm not claiming that it IS, but if you're going to claim it isn't you have to prove it.
Inserting the word "apparent" is special pleading. My argument is that these things are an additional witness to supernatural actions of Jesus. Nothing you said countered that.

More importantly, sleight of hand won't cure blindness or raise dead people. The eyewitnesses to these deeds did not all die off before these accounts circulated, since Christians started widely proclaiming these things very shortly after Jesus' death.

Double A

(1) Show actual reasons why the bias of the disciples for Jesus would cause them to distort facts to put forth the idea that He'd come back to life if in fact He did no such thing.

Not once did I say that their bias was the only (or even the primary) factor in the untrustworthiness of their testimony. Especially in the case of Jesus' resurrection.

I'd say that the big thing is the lack of examinable evidence. Probably.

This motive would have to also explain why they were willing to suffer for their beliefs, since some of them were imprisoned or even killed.

This, on the other hand, has heaps of other probable explanations justified by the belief itself. People suffer for their beliefs if a) acting on those beliefs somehow inconveniences them and b) if they believe strongly enough in fulfilling whatever this belief would have them do. If you hold the belief that suffering for your beliefs on earth will be outweighed by paradise, then of course you're going to suffer for your beliefs.

This particular point doesn't prove anything.

(And just in case you're thinkin' it...don't try to use the opulence of centuries-later cathedrals to allege that the disciples had a financial motive.)

-.-

(2) Produce the body. Multiple pieces of information support the idea that the tomb was empty. Matthew writes that the Jewish leaders bribed the guard at Jesus' tomb to say "His disciples came at night and stole Him away while we slept" (Matt. 28:13 NKJV). In verse 15, Matthew goes on to say that this story is widely told in Jewish circles up to the time of Matthew's writing.

Oh come now. The fact that I don't have the body does not support your proposition, nor does it weaken my argument (that the burden of proof is on you and elimination of alternative possibilities by itself does not count as proof). All it does is eliminate the possibility that, if Jesus DIDN'T rise from the dead, that the location of Jesus' body was known.

(3) Show some eyewitness evidence, or at least some kind of evidence, for the existence of Thor.

That.

Is some kind of massive double standard.

Especially when you have no evidence for the existence of God. At best, you have evidence for the existence of Jesus, but "Jesus, therefore God" is not a logical argument.

You too are a bit incorrect there. There is no rule that everything must come from something. Though I believe that God made the mass-energy of the universe, I do not assume that this is accepted by others. For the purposes of debate, I work under the assumption that the mass-energy of the universe may have always existed, hence I don't expect any non-theist to explain its origin.

Then the universe did not have to come from God. I never assumed that rule, I just notice that it is a common justification for the necessity of a "creator" so I made a little assumption.

Every event, however, demands a sufficient cause. The Big Bang was undoubtedly an event. Other proposed causes, such as a quantum vacuum, an eternal cycle of expansion and contraction, or some event in another universe, invoke many more entities than some God, and are no more testable.

Double A said:
If you're going to claim that some higher intelligence set something in motion, you're going to have to prove it or concede that we just don't know at this point.

Every event demands a sufficient cause. At this point, I don't know enough to contest this point, nor do I wish to.

However, while other hypotheses may invoke more entities than God, by no means does that fact alone make these hypotheses more complex than "God did it", since to the best of my knowledge we've come closer to understanding these alternative hypotheses than we have to understanding the mechanics of creation magic and immortality.

On top of that, the event which caused God to create everything is itself an event. You aren't going to escape the problem of infinity that easily.

There are some posts in the debate about religion, atheism and agnosticism which I think you should look at. Please start with this one, the ones I link in it, and my responses.

Will do.

And I hold that there exists a conscience which cannot be explained as mere social conditioning, and it indicates to me and countless others, even those who don't believe there is such a thing as a conscience, that destroying the world is objectively wrong no matter the social conditioning. Don't you watch Saturday morning cartoons like Pokémon?

lol, you're actually suggesting that i'm awake in the morning on a weekend.

The word "conscience" is itself broad enough to include what we all have: a sort of "intuition" with which actions are deemed morally right or wrong according to our own subjective standards. The fact that someone explicitly claims to not believe in a conscience is analogous to someone explicitly claiming to not believing in evolution: ridiculous and irrelevant.

But in the definition of conscience, there's an element of subjectivity (i.e. whether or not there is an overarching "conscience", "wrong" is still subjective). What is happening currently is that the vast majority have already been socially and physically conditioned to act against (or at least form an opinion against) their own obliteration. If this wasn't the case then the world would probably have been destroyed by now.

You need to show more than possibility. You need to show probability. I've heard the explanations: heatstroke, secret sympathy for Christians, even the idea that Paul never believed Jesus was a real human to begin with (the last of which fails to account for Paul's mention of the Lord's brother James in Galatians 1:19). These all fail to take something into account, and/or use special pleading to avoid giving evidence. The best probability, based on the evidence, is that Paul became convinced that he'd seen Jesus because...he actually did see Jesus.

Says the one claiming that someone rose from the dead (resurrection itself is highly improbable). In the world of science, elimination of alternative possibilities that have been proposed is only half of the process of proving something. Otherwise, you're arguing for the "God of the Gaps".

*shrug* At this point all I can say is that there isn't enough independent evidence or testable evidence in the Bible to prove the validity of Jesus' miracles.

Inserting the word "apparent" is special pleading. My argument is that these things are an additional witness to supernatural actions of Jesus. Nothing you said countered that.

How is it special pleading? We can't be sure that anything is humanly impossible until it has been examined.

The eyewitnesses to these deeds did not all die off before these accounts circulated, since Christians started widely proclaiming these things very shortly after Jesus' death.

Out of curiosity: how many eye-witnesses were there?

Last edited:

Malanu

Est sularus oth mith
Your straw man argument is careless and misleading. I ignored nothing.

You ignored the fact that the Inanna myth featured her dying (1)after she got to the underworld (where she had already done all sorts of stuff). Aside from some passages in the New Testament with debated meaning, there is nothing indicating that Jesus did anything specific while dead. (2)The point was that He came back, and people saw Him after He came back.

It is not that Jesus went down to the underworld that I attempt to prove. He died. There's plenty of evidence for that--so much that it is beyond doubt in most liberal circles. I've offered evidence that He was seen alive after death.
1 You fail to grasp, where else is a full out god going to die? Inanna was a very powerful goddess, for her to die would require supernatural means. However Jesus was a demi god (half god half mortal, like Hercules), thus easier to claim the life of. Unless you take the holy trinity thing literally, then Jesus was an avatar of god himself, and that makes the whole death and resurrection thing kinda moot. After all you can't kill even a little of god right?

2 Your evidence is only the word of the Bible, which is a bias source at the very least (I would put it in the same context as the Koran or the Jewish bible). True the Christan myth says he was seen by some folks after he died. The Sumerian myth says Inanna rose again and then went back to work. It's just a matter of which story you want to believe. One's written in a book (previously a scroll). One's written on a wall or obelisk or passed by word of mouth. Both stories have the same amount of proof.

This quote makes great sense to me:
Maimonides states (Foundations of Torah, ch. 8):The Jews did not believe in Moses, our teacher, because of the miracles he performed. Whenever anyone’s belief is based on seeing miracles, he has lingering doubts, because it is possible the miracles were performed through magic or sorcery. All of the miracles performed by Moses in the desert were because they were necessary, and not as proof of his prophecy.

What then was the basis of [Jewish] belief? The Revelation at Mount Sinai, which we saw with our own eyes and heard with our own ears, not dependent on the testimony of others… as it says, "Face to face, God spoke with you…" The Torah also states: "God did not make this covenant with our fathers, but with us—who are all here alive today." (Deut. 5:3)

Judaism is not miracles. It is the personal eyewitness experience of every man, woman and child, standing at Mount Sinai 3,300 years ago.
http://www.simpletoremember.com/articles/a/jewsandjesus/
If I were to believe a religion, this would be better proof than the stories of the Christian bible.

Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
Even if one doesn't agree with the Bible, I think these are wise words. None of us can know for sure what will happen after death. I've found that it's much better to live life than to spend your life worrying about death.

Radiohead

Human Disaster
I believe that there's nothing after death. I also don't believe your 'soul' or whatever will live on, you're just dead and there's completely nothing. And I'm not scared of death at all. I wouldn't even care if I died right now, not that I'm suicidal, but I'm just not afraid of death in any kind of way.

AuraWarior

Knight of the old
I believe that there's nothing after death. I also don't believe your 'soul' or whatever will live on, you're just dead and there's completely nothing. And I'm not scared of death at all. I wouldn't even care if I died right now, not that I'm suicidal, but I'm just not afraid of death in any kind of way.
I agree, people just make stuff up cuz they WANT something after death.

Butterfly

i'm definitely going to have to agree with the above two posters on this one. i personally think you just cease to exist upon death, and most afterlife ideas were/are mostly formed as a result of fearing nonexistence. to be honest, it is a scary thought, so it's understandable why most of us would want to believe in something else.

Litovoi

Astral Shadow
No matter what you believe about death, even if you think, or say, that you're not afraid of it, you are. You can try convincing yourself otherwise, but if you're faced with it, you'll realize that you're scared. No one truly knows what comes after death, and we probably never will. People are naturally scared of the unknown, and death is as unknown as it gets. My belief on death? I believe there is a life after death.

Double A

^You're going to have to be more specific. I'm scared of dying (it might hurt), but death (i.e. the state of being dead) is actually... not that scary at all.

That is, unless you were terrified for the entirety of history before your birth.

Litovoi

Astral Shadow
Of course its the fear of what comes after, because no one knows what there is after death, or if there is anything at all. And you didn't exist before your birth, so how could you be terrified?

Double A

Of course its the fear of what comes after, because no one knows what there is after death, or if there is anything at all. And you didn't exist before your birth, so how could you be terrified?

The most rational interpretation of death according to what we have observed about people dying/being revived/etc is a loss of consciousness. I have not been persuaded that there is anything else.

The fact that I didn't exist before my birth was my entire point. I wasn't conscious before I was born (or if you want to get technical, I wasn't conscious until about 7-ish weeks into my mother's pregnancy).

So what I have is a lack of consciousness BEFORE I existed, and a lack of consciousness AFTER I cease to exist. If the former didn't terrify me, why should the latter?

Litovoi

Astral Shadow
The most rational interpretation of death according to what we have observed about people dying/being revived/etc is a loss of consciousness. I have not been persuaded that there is anything else.

The fact that I didn't exist before my birth was my entire point. I wasn't conscious before I was born (or if you want to get technical, I wasn't conscious until about 7-ish weeks into my mother's pregnancy).

So what I have is a lack of consciousness BEFORE I existed, and a lack of consciousness AFTER I cease to exist. If the former didn't terrify me, why should the latter?

Its not a lack of consciousness because you have to exist to be conscious or unconscious. You did not exist before your birth. Your soul was created when you were concieved, not a moment before. As for after death, once again, to be unconscious you have to exist. I personally believe that we continue to exist after death, whether conscious or unconscious. But then, why SHOULD we continue to exist after death if we are unconcious? There is no purpose to that. It makes more sense that we either cease to exist, or we remain conscious.

Double A

Its not a lack of consciousness because you have to exist to be conscious or unconscious. You did not exist before your birth.

Do you dispute that I was not conscious before my birth?

Your soul was created when you were concieved, not a moment before.

I thought it was clear that I didn't believe in a soul.

Litovoi

Astral Shadow
Do you dispute that I was not conscious before my birth?

Yes, on the basis that you did not exist, and therfore CANNOT be unconscious.

I thought it was clear that I didn't believe in a soul.

Even if you don't you still didn't exist until you were conceived.

Last edited:

pikapikachiu

i know this is a little bit different approach to this view but i saw a youtube video about a guy talking about death. so it was this physics professor and he was talking about how the theory of teleportation is theoretically plausible. so he mentioned that eventually when technology is able to teleport a person, a person is considered dead during the teleportion due to all the matter being broken down before being put back together again. so like after a person teleports, is that person really alive? This got me to think that if there is a soul or an afterlife.

Double A

Yes, on the basis that you did not exist, and therfore CANNOT be unconscious.

If I adopted a term "nonconscious", would it make things better?

Even if you don't you still didn't exist until you were conceived.

How do you define "me"? Certainly all my constituent parts existed before my conception.

Litovoi

Astral Shadow
If I adopted a term "nonconscious", would it make things better?
No, though the term "nonexistent" works.

How do you define "me"? Certainly all my constituent parts existed before my conception.

Saying you existed because all your parts were there is like looking at a beef patty, a slice of cheese, two slices of bread, and calling it a hamburger. Those parts aren't "you" until they are put together.

Double A

No, though the term "nonexistent" works.

Okay let me start again.

Before I lived, I did not feel anything. After I die, I will most likely not feel anything. Technicalities aside, the two "experiences" (for lack of a better word) will be the same in practical terms.

Saying you existed because all your parts were there is like looking at a beef patty, a slice of cheese, two slices of bread, and calling it a hamburger. Those parts aren't "you" until they are put together.

I wasn't a fertilized egg before conception in the same way that you don't have a hamburger before it's put together. Are you defining "you" as a fertilized egg?

And this is somehow a pre-requisite to being conscious?

If you want to get technical, some form of consciousness doesn't begin to develop until about 7-8 weeks into pregnancy.

Last edited:

Litovoi

Astral Shadow
Okay let me start again.

Before I lived, I did not feel anything. After I die, I will most likely not feel anything. Technicalities aside, the two "experiences" (for lack of a better word) will be the same in practical terms.

Exactly...as in nonexistent. But there is no guaranty its the same after death.

I wasn't a fertilized egg before conception in the same way that you don't have a hamburger before it's put together. Are you defining "you" as a fertilized egg?

And this is somehow related to me being conscious?

If you want to get technical, some form of consciousness doesn't begin to develop until about 7-8 weeks into pregnancy.

Yes, the fertilized egg is you, as it matures and grows. It is made up of cells which multiply, and years later, there you are. It may not LOOK like you, nor act like you, but it IS you, the same way a caterpillar is the same even after it becomes a butterfly. It looks different, acts different, may even THINK different, but it IS the same creature.

And by saying you don't gain a form of consciousness until after 7-8 weeks into pregnancy you are merely supporting my point that you can't be unconscious if you don't exist.