• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Dec 25th: M23 - Pocket Monsters the Movie: Coco (Feb 28: Story/profiles)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I see nothing wrong with Ash's father being mentioned in the movie the way he does. I don't really engage in the anipoke community on Twitter or on Youtube besides stuff for leaks and translations, but I don't really see how Ash talking about his father the way he does somehow undermines Delia in the way some people are making it out to be.

I do wish Ash's relationship with his father was explored much more in the movie than a line that does come across as awfully throwaway, but it's a film ultimately more about Coco than Ash, which is unfortunate.
The problem is that the mention feels... Random considering the earlier scene with Delia in the beggining and then the later one in the end.

The parent-child interactions we've always seen in the show, in the AU and in this very movie are always Ash and Delia. In this very movie we had a scene of Delia being a sweet overly protective, worried mom in the beggining who was kind of worried if Ash is doing well on his own.

Then, we get a thematically similar conflict of Koko with Zarude. Ash randomly mentions his dad - something he hasn't done even when other characters in the show had similar issues - and then the final scene is Ash calling Delia and saying he called because he wanted to see her (instant favorite moment across all movies btw). It feels disjointed.

Honestly, he could have said that seeing them remembered him of how his mother would always be overly protective/worried about him. It'd fit well with the tone of the scene - Zarude had the best intentions hiding the truth from Koko but kid gets pissed with being treated that way - and the final payoff of Ash feeling like checking on his mom even better because seeing how Koko and Zarude protected and feel about each other remembered him of his own mother. The scene was played like "we relate because it's father and son" when it works better "we relate because we both have caring families who sometimes make mistakes with the best intentions"

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
In case you forgot, it's not the same Ash. This one just had 3 movies and one of them (ICY) had some scenes of him interacting with Delia. I think I even recall Verity kind of taunting because of that.

Morax

King of heroes
In case you forgot, it's not the same Ash. This one just had 3 movies and one of them (ICY) had some scenes of him interacting with Delia. I think I even recall Verity kind of taunting because of that.
It's the same freaking anime franchise. writers never bothered exploring his relationship with delia for 24 years. Why defend lazy writing?

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
It's the same freaking anime franchise. writers never bothered exploring his relationship with delia for 24 years. Why defend lazy writing?
Why so serious about non-canon Ash lmao.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Imagine Luffy calling Garp and saying "hey gramps i missed you!". That's the level of absurdity we're talking about here.
Ash has always displayed affection to his mom and cared for her and always called her and interacted with her in every damn series, where are you bringing up the bs He doesnt love or care for her
Heck the first AU movie prominently featured his calls with Delia
Considering the parent theme and how he saw the parent son relationship with Coco it makes perfect sense he would want to call his mom too considering he DOES love and care for her, how the hell is that lazy writing?

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I used to have issues with how they portrayed Ash's and Delia's relationship but after reading the novels Shudo did, I finally got a better understand of it and came to appreciate. They are really helpful to get you to understand why Ash behaves the way he does around her.

I'll give SM credit for one thing: I like what they did with their relationship, specially by bringing Delia up a bit more often.

Morax

King of heroes
Ash has always displayed affection to his mom and cared for her and always called her and interacted with her in every damn series, where are you bringing up the bs He doesnt love or care for her
Heck the first AU movie prominently featured his calls with Delia
Considering the parent theme and how he saw the parent son relationship with Coco it makes perfect sense he would want to call his mom too considering he DOES love and care for her, how the hell is that lazy writing?
>Always displayed affection to his mom and cared for her
Ash has never taken the initiative to call his mom and check up on her until coco. And that's only the AU. Canon ash doesn't even care. Nice display of affection right there :)

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
>Always displayed affection to his mom and cared for her
Ash has never taken the initiative to call his mom and check up on her until coco. And that's only the AU. Canon ash doesn't even care. Nice display of affection right there :)
Bruh do you watch the anime? Heck screw the anime have you seen the AU movies? Ash calls her in ICY
He's multiple times called her in the main series too during the end of his journey
Whenever he and his mom interact his love for her is obviously visible
Trying to claim Ash doesn't love her because of your own stupid headcanons and rules and then calling something perfectly fitting the themes of the movie 'bad writing' is just plain dumb

Morax

King of heroes
Bruh do you watch the anime? Heck screw the anime have you seen the AU movies? Ash calls her in ICY
He's multiple times called her in the main series too during the end of his journey
Whenever he and his mom interact his love for her is obviously visible
Trying to claim Ash doesn't love her because of your own stupid headcanons and rules and then calling something perfectly fitting the themes of the movie 'bad writing' is just plain dumb
>Calls her at the end of his journey
Does he? It's so brief must have slipped my attention. Anyways the point i'm trying to make is that this mother-son relationship is bare bones. We know he calls her sometimes ( the contents of the conversation are unknown ) and that's it? i'm indifferent to kukui but he's got a deeper bond with ash than his biological mother and that's a shame. Delia needs more screentime and character depth.

The fact that we've gone 1000+ episodes without so much as a character arc/backstory for delia is definitely lazy writing/wasted potential.

Last edited:

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
>Calls her at the end of his journey
Does he? It's so brief must have slipped my attention. Anyways the point i'm trying to make is that this mother-son relationship is bare bones. We know he calls her sometimes ( the contents of the conversation are unknown ) and that's it? i'm indifferent to kukui but he's got a deeper bond with ash than his biological mother and that's a shame. Delia needs more screentime and character depth.

The fact that we've gone 1000+ episodes without so much as a character arc/backstory for delia is definitely lazy writing/wasted potential.
Not everyone needs a character arc/backstory. And Delia does have backstory in the form of the graphic novels which don't need to be brought up in the anime rn. They are a loving mother and son duo. Ash does care for her, we even got great screentime for the two in SM. The ending of the movie wit him calling his mom after seeing the parent son relationship with the monkey and Coco makes perfect sense

Morax

King of heroes
Not everyone needs a character arc/backstory. And Delia does have backstory in the form of the graphic novels which don't need to be brought up in the anime rn
What the **** am i reading? Backstories help flesh out a character and improve the overall quality of the show. If she has one in the graphic novels then they should insert it in the anime.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
What the **** am i reading? Backstories help flesh out a character and improve the overall quality of the show. If she has one in the graphic novels then they should insert it in the anime.
And not every character has to be fleshed out, jeez. If you actually read the backstory in the graphic novel you'll see why the anime didn't include that stuff

Blood Red

【推しの子】
I think Ash's relationship with Delia makes perfect sense, when you think about the video games. Very few of us ever go back to visit the player character's mom after leaving the first town, and only G/S/C/HG/SS's protagonist stays in regular contact with his mother (if you consider your mom apologizing for wasting your money on useless crap 'regular contact').

The demon Jigglypuff appears in the movie.

I need to watch it in English to fully judge, but this movie has my favorite Pokémon Cramorgod in it, so instant 10/10.
I liked Koko as a character and his relationship with his adoptive father, Zarude, but the beginning of the movie seemed a lot like Tarzan. The villain also didn’t appear until halfway but if I recall, this must be the most evil villain as he deliberately killed Koko’s parents because he didn’t want them to be the leaders of the organization so he crashed their car and it exploded. He deserves jail. I liked how all the Pokémon and Ash teamed up to stop the device, and of course it’s Ash and Pikachu that save the day. Why didn’t Cramorant help? This makes me sad. Also Cramorant is the best thing about this movie. It would fit perfectly as one of James’s Pokémon as it even chomped on his head like Carnivine and Victreebel. Sadly Cramorant didn’t appear enough, but it did dance in the end credits which is the best part of the movie and even dabbed. I don’t know how Koko revived his dad and used the Jungle Healing move. Overall, this movie is a good movie, but still not the best. I would say an 8/10 for now, needs more Cramorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.