• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Dec 25th: M23 - Pocket Monsters the Movie: Coco (Feb 28: Story/profiles)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LucasMV

AU Ash is perhaps the strangest movie protagonist I've ever seen because he seriously needs development other than being just a blank Ash without the anime progress to get more possibilities without the same people he travels with.

Like, what's the point.
That's pretty much my point too. It feels like AU Ash is just a version of Ash devoid of everything we know about him, except maybe for his relationship with Pikachu. Might as well use a different protagonist if they're just gonna use an empty shell named Ash.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
That's pretty much my point too. It feels like AU Ash is just a version of Ash devoid of everything we know about him, except maybe for his relationship with Pikachu. Might as well use a different protagonist if they're just gonna use an empty shell named Ash.
They should rly decide what they want to do with Ash, poor boy.
Ever since SM, they keep changing his face, making several AU versions of him.... writers - Making up your mind already.

Remix2

Before the au stuff I alway thought the best way to make to help the movies is to go the for the current one piece movie route or go with the demon slayer and made in abyss route of adapting a arc into a movie.

Morax

King of heroes
Before the au stuff I alway thought the best way to make to help the movies is to go the for the current one piece movie route or go with the demon slayer and made in abyss route of adapting a arc into a movie.
Or you could always go the MARVEL route and create a cinematic universe. A weekly anime is too much effort for too little gain.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
I just rewatched The Spell of Unown and wow, I forgot how engaging and emotionally resonating a Pokemon story can be.

I really thought the 25th anniversary movie was decent and a step in the right direction, but alas..
Yeah, see, a little girl with troubled emotions granted the power for insane wishes who is connected to the main character in some way is far more engaging than a Tarzan expy.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I think you meant 20th since the 25th anime aniversary is next year

D

Deleted member 384931

Will we get something special (a movie) next year since pokemon exist so many years?

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Forgot to mention but last week I got my copy of the limited BD. Very well made package.

It came with the movie script. Very interesting extra. Since I'm studying japanese, the script will come in handy for study since it's written in the japanese order and has no furigana. Makes for some good self-text once I start the advanced level of my studies

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
Haven't seen the OP movies, but aren't those pretty much like with DBZ's movies or Pokemon's pre-ICY?
The current situation with One Piece movies is... convoluted. Since the tenth movie back in 2009, the movies have stopped coming out yearly, coming instead like every two or three years, and the author of the manga is at least somewhat involved with the story of each one. (Except for 11, which is little more than a 30-minute chase scene animated entirely in 3D.) Movies 10 and 12's antagonists even explicitly exist in the manga's world...

...but none of them fit into the manga's timeline. Some claim that movie 10 was meant to take place shortly after the Thriller Bark arc, but there are several points in the movie that contradict this, most notably the fact that Zoro actively participates in the action of the movie despite the fact that at this point in the manga he was still recovering from some severe injuries, which was shown to basically prevent him from being able to fight at all... Also while Shiki, the movie's antagonist, is actually namedropped in the manga, the fact that Luffy defeated him in battle is completely ignored even though the character who namedrops him knows that Luffy did this and it was super relevant to the conversation taking place.

Then movie 12 would have to happen during a break between two major arcs where the story of the manga really does not allow for any additional major events to have happened, (the anime kind of allows it because they changed some stuff, but even there it's a bit of a stretch) and movies 13 and 14 just flat-out don't work at all, for the simple reason that it shows all of the Straw Hat Pirates sailing together on the Sunny, when there was a several-year stretch of the story where the crew was forced several times to split up into two or more groups, and there was literally not a single point between late 2013 and... mid-2019? where all of them were in the same location.
Yet the thirteenth movie clearly presents itself as being a story set at the same general point in the journey where the TV-series was at at the time, making references to Luffy recently having defeated Doflamingo in a way that very much made it sound like that was the most recent and most relevant thing he had done.
And then the fourteenth film seemingly throws all logic to the wind and just goes "THERE'S A MASSIVE PIRATE FESTIVAL GOING ON AND LITERALLY EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER FROM THE MANGA IS HERE, YAY!!!!" which is certainly a ton of fun but there is absolutely no way to fit an event like that into the actual series timeline.

...I think it ultimately comes down to the problem of them wanting the movies to feel up-to-date with what's happening in the show and feature the latest characters and abilities and all that stuff, which makes sense, but also having to wrestle with the fact that as the story went on, it's gotten more and more interconnected in a way that doesn't really allow for "We are out at sea together and oh look we happened across this random interesting island what kind of crazy stuff awaits us on it?!" type stories to be slotted in between canon arcs anymore.

Last edited:

Morax

King of heroes
The current situation with One Piece movies is... convoluted. Since the tenth movie back in 2009, the movies have stopped coming out yearly, coming instead like every two or three years, and the author of the manga is at least somewhat involved with the story of each one. (Except for 11, which is little more than a 30-minute chase scene animated entirely in 3D.) Movies 10 and 12's antagonists even explicitly exist in the manga's world...

...but none of them fit into the manga's timeline. Some claim that movie 10 was meant to take place shortly after the Thriller Bark arc, but there are several points in the movie that contradict this, most notably the fact that Zoro actively participates in the action of the movie despite the fact that at this point in the manga he was still recovering from some severe injuries, which was shown to basically prevent him from being able to fight at all... Also while Shiki, the movie's antagonist, is actually namedropped in the manga, the fact that Luffy defeated him in battle is completely ignored even though the character who namedrops him knows that Luffy did this and it was super relevant to the conversation taking place.

Then movie 12 would have to happen during a break between two major arcs where the story of the manga really does not allow for any additional major events to have happened, (the anime kind of allows it because they changed some stuff, but even there it's a bit of a stretch) and movies 13 and 14 just flat-out don't work at all, for the simple reason that it shows all of the Straw Hat Pirates sailing together on the Sunny, when there was a several-year stretch of the story where the crew was forced several times to split up into two or more groups, and there was literally not a single point between late 2013 and... mid-2019? where all of them were in the same location.
Yet the thirteenth movie clearly presents itself as being a story set at the same general point in the journey where the TV-series was at at the time, making references to Luffy recently having defeated Doflamingo in a way that very much made it sound like that was the most recent and most relevant thing he had done.
And then the fourteenth film seemingly throws all logic to the wind and just goes "THERE'S A MASSIVE PIRATE FESTIVAL GOING ON AND LITERALLY EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER FROM THE MANGA IS HERE, YAY!!!!" which is certainly a ton of fun but there is absolutely no way to fit an event like that into the actual series timeline.

...I think it ultimately comes down to the problem of them wanting the movies to feel up-to-date with what's happening in the show and feature the latest characters and abilities and all that stuff, which makes sense, but also having to wrestle with the fact that as the story went on, it's gotten more and more interconnected in a way that doesn't really allow for "We are out at sea together and oh look we happened across this random interesting island what kind of crazy stuff awaits us on it?!" type stories to be slotted in between canon arcs anymore.
I’m surprised this conversation wasn’t moved to the alternate anime section since we’re completely off track at this point. :0

Status
Not open for further replies.