• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Dec 8th: SM6 - Zing Zap Togedemaru!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowForce720

Ash will probably think of some cheesy strategy that will let him get around lightning rod with electric attacks. He kind of has to, because otherwise Quick Attack and Iron Tail won't do enough against Togedemaru.

No matter what he tries to come up with it's not going to suddenly make Togedemaru vulnerable to Electric type attacks since thanks to Lighting rod the moment Pikachu launches a Electric attack even if it's aiming somewhere else it will just be attracted to Togedemaru instead. The only way around is if a move or ability was used against Togedemaru that would suppress Lighting Rod. Basically if Pikachu doesn't have a move that suppress ability then no there is no way for Pikachu to hit Togedemaru with Electric attacks as Togedemaru will just absorb it and get stronger.

Last edited:

mystic9899

Pokemon fan
i'm assuming ash will come up with some strategy to counter togedemaru's zing zap. (if there is any battling in this episode)

ShadowForce720

i'm assuming ash will come up with some strategy to counter togedemaru's zing zap. (if there is any battling in this episode)

yeah that's pretty much what he would have to do and because of Lighting Rod his Pikachu can only use Iron Tail and Quick Attack against Togedemaru, unless he wants to make the same mistake that he made against Paul's Electivire when he hit it with a Electric type attack which just made it faster and just made Pikachu's situation worse.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Ash will probably think of some cheesy strategy that will let him get around lightning rod with electric attacks. He kind of has to, because otherwise Quick Attack and Iron Tail won't do enough against Togedemaru.

Pikachu's skill level seems to be quite reset as it happens at the start of a series. Otherwise I would have predicted an easy win for Pikachu using Quick Attack and Iron Tail.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Pikachu's skill level seems to be quite reset as it happens at the start of a series. Otherwise I would have predicted an easy win for Pikachu using Quick Attack and Iron Tail.

Togedemaru resists the normal-type quick attack and the has a major resistance against iron tail.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Togedemaru resists the normal-type quick attack and the has a major resistance against iron tail.

Games=/=Anime. Water Shuriken KO's a Grass/Dragon type Mega Sceptile.

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
Yes after tons of damage and a whole battle had been fought beforehand. Type resistances and immunities still stand. Pikachu's offence is already halved and he's forced to rely on his weaker 2 moves which are resisted here. How does anything point to an easy win for Ash? And knowing Ash probably doesn't have any knowledge of Togedemaru's Lightning Rod, he's most likely going to give it a boost at the beginning of the battle too.
Then again this is the same forum that lost its lid after Pikachu lost to an Excadrill so...

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...

If that was the case, then Bagon's dragon breath would have done harm to Valrie's Spritzee. The type chart translates to the anime, but it is sometimes followed and sometimes ignored.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Yes after tons of damage and a whole battle had been fought beforehand. Type resistances and immunities still stand. Pikachu's offence is already halved and he's forced to rely on his weaker 2 moves which are resisted here. How does anything point to an easy win for Ash? And knowing Ash probably doesn't have any knowledge of Togedemaru's Lightning Rod, he's most likely going to give it a boost at the beginning of the battle too.
Then again this is the same forum that lost its lid after Pikachu lost to an Excadrill so...

Tons of damage? Two successive Aerial Aces maybe, but Mega Sceptile was still going pretty strong. The large Water Shuriken was the move that destroyed Mega Sceptile. But considering that this is the start of a series, I think Pikachu will have some trouble against Togedemaru.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
you seem to be misunderstanding how Lightning Rod works, Lightning Rod not only attracts Electric types moves but also gives the user immunity to Electric type moves and gives it a boost when hit by an Electric type move if the user isn't a Ground type. So if Pikachu where to hit Togedemaru with Electro Ball it would be pretty much the same result if it used Thunderbolt against it, where Togedemaru takes no damage and instead gets stronger.
In that case, Electro Ball's gotta go. Togedemaru can't help its natural ability and Pikachu can find other ways out of its Lightening Rod. Pikachu should learn Dig. Execellent combo with Iron Tail.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
If that was the case, then Bagon's dragon breath would have done harm to Valrie's Spritzee. The type chart translates to the anime, but it is sometimes followed and sometimes ignored.

Immunities are one of the few things from the games that translates into the anime.
*remembers Malamar Psycho Cut vs Greninja*
...usually.

I'm hoping Togedemaru is just trying to get Pikachu's attention. It seems like Mimikyu is going to be the 'mean' rival. Maybe Togedemaru is just trying to see whether it or Pikachu is better.

snorlax512

In that case, Electro Ball's gotta go. Togedemaru can't help its natural ability and Pikachu can find other ways out of its Lightening Rod.

I doubt Ash is salty enough to teach Pikachu a new move just to beat Togedemaru.
I wouldn't mind him relearning volt tackle though :D

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
Tons of damage? Two successive Aerial Aces maybe, but Mega Sceptile was still going pretty strong. The large Water Shuriken was the move that destroyed Mega Sceptile. But considering that this is the start of a series, I think Pikachu will have some trouble against Togedemaru.

If Pikachu has trouble against Togedemaru, I think it will be because of Togedemaru's ability or because of its actual strength (after all, we don't know how strong Togedemaru is, since we have yet to see it in actual battle), not because this is the start of a new series. Pikachu has already proven that he is incredibly strong.

In that case, Electro Ball's gotta go. Togedemaru can't help its natural ability and Pikachu can find other ways out of its Lightening Rod. Pikachu should learn Dig. Execellent combo with Iron Tail.

I would like to see Pikachu learn a new move this series (besides the Z-Moves, obviously). Dig would be a nice addition to Pikachu's move roster.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Immunities are one of the few things from the games that translates into the anime.
*remembers Malamar Psycho Cut vs Greninja*
...usually.

I'm hoping Togedemaru is just trying to get Pikachu's attention. It seems like Mimikyu is going to be the 'mean' rival. Maybe Togedemaru is just trying to see whether it or Pikachu is better.

I don't think Malamar's Psycho Cut did any damage to Ash-Greninja. It seemed 100℅ OK after that.

Xenon Blue

No Hard Feelings
I really don't think Pikachu is going to have too much trouble against Togedemaru. It has already shown it's dominance over Pikachu in a non-battle setting, so it's only natural for it to get bopped in a battle. Ash will have to get creative though, since just fighting with power won't work. Physical attacks seem to be inefficient against it, considering the heavy emphasis put on it's spiky shell, and Pikachu is completely shut down in long-range options. However the sheer difference in experience and power should let Ash find an approach that puts him into a good situation. If anything, Togedemaru is shown to be a liability in one of the previews, forcing Pikachu to defend it against Mimikyu, so I can hardly see how Togedemaru can win against Pikachu.

If Pikachu does replace Electro Ball with moves like Dig or Brick Break, then it should have no problem. Electro Ball really has no place anymore and needs to go.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
To add to Lazy's comment, Mamane (or Sophocles, whichever's your preference) looks like the type of Trainer who would be too busy on other activities and focused on his inventions instead of battling thus neglecting Togedemaru's natural instincts to fight against other Pokémon and not gaining any EXP. I could be wrong but from what we've seen so far, Mamane uses Togedemaru as a charger to his inventions that hasn't been showcased yet. Who knows, maybe Togedemaru isn't per say, strong in the sense of having a ton of battling experience as Pikachu and can get itself in a pickle by the simplest of mistakes like tripping but with Mamane commanding Togedemaru in battle, his ways of combating his flaws is pure genius.

I think it's about time Pikachu learns a new move that isn't a Z move. Meowth too but I was told he couldn't learn any new moves in exchange for his ability to speak human language. "sigh" Here's hoping Rotomdex can protect itself.

Last edited:

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
To add to Lazy's comment, Mamane (or Sophocles, whichever's your preference) looks like the type of Trainer who would be too busy on other activities and focused on his inventions instead of battling thus neglecting Togedemaru's natural instincts to fight against other Pokémon and not gaining any EXP. I could be wrong but from what we've seen so far, Mamane uses Togedemaru as a charger to his inventions that hasn't been showcased yet. Who knows, maybe Togedemaru isn't per say, strong in the sense of having a ton of battling experience as Pikachu and can get itself in a pickle by the simplest of mistakes like tripping but with Mamane commanding Togedemaru in battle, his ways of combating his flaws is pure genius.

I agree. Sophocles does seem like the type of Trainer who focuses more on his inventions and other ways of using Togedemaru's power than on battling and improving Togedemaru's skill. But who knows? The kid and porcupine could surprise us and prove to be a powerful team, precisely because, as you said, Sophocles compensates for his weaknesses with pure intellectual power.

satoharupika said:
I think it's about time Pikachu learns a new move that isn't a Z move. Meowth too but I was told he couldn't learn any new moves in exchange for his ability to speak human language. "sigh" Here's hoping Rotomdex can protect itself.

IIRC, Meowth's teaching himself to speak the human language prevents him from learning Pay Day, but I don't know if it prevents him from learning other moves. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong, please.) It would be nice to see Meowth learn a new move. Maybe he will, once again, remember he is a Pokémon who is capable of battling. It was nice to actually see him battle for a change, even if he did end up passing out at the sight of Mimikyu's true body.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Can't say I'm excited to be seeing Togedemaru every week. It's honestly one of my least favourite Gen 7 Pokemon

I don't think Togedemaru's that appealing either cuz it seems like every other cute electric rodent pokemon that we've seen in the cast before, although I'm kind of interested in Sophocles. So at least I can look forward to seeing him here. :]

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
Umm, the sketch was almost definitely a scene taken from the anime.

It doesn't happen in the games, so why would they draw a random scene with Ash and Mallow?
Because A) It was paired with the sketches of the other starters who did not reference Ash or any other character B) At the time those sketches came out, Mallow wasn't even introduced for the game, hence you logically cannot assume there was an anime being planned for a game not even close to being released C)The reason to believe these a GF sheets and not anime sheets are because they official artwork for these guys are literally taken from them D) The focus is still the starters unlike most anime reference sheets which put just as much focus on the characters and Pokemon E) Why is Ash's design different in that sheet compared to his design for Sun and Moon?

Status
Not open for further replies.