• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

December 16th: PM2019 136 - Satoshi and Go! Setting Off Anew!!

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Goh leaving Ash right before the finals is in my opinion a dealbreaker for Ash's best human friend. Sure, it was awful planning by the production team if you think about it. But we thought for a while Ash would have no one in the stands in the biggest battle of his career besides Hop (who would cheer for Leon because he was his brother) and Team Rocket.

For me Brock is still #1 and honestly I would place Misty and the three coordinators above Goh as well
Ash would never EVER want Goh to give up his dream and miss out on the culmination of all his efforts just to watch his final match and be his cheerleader. He doesn't want his friends to be passive with their goals and make it a second priority
Uhhhh, that's not how it works

Goh should have been there just like he was for the quarter- and semifinal rounds
He literally couldn't have been, he was upset he couldn't be, he thought of Ash and their promise
Heck he literally thanks Mew for making him meet Ash
Goh had zero sense, it's insane to think you're not someone's best friend if you don't sacrifice your dream to be at an important event for someone. Goh had no choice
If May, Dawn, Serena Brock and even Misty had zero choice and had to either watch an Ash match or go to this one time, in a lifetime opportunity to accomplish their dream, they would choose the latter with Ash's full backing and support

Bulu likes pepsi

Ash would never EVER want Goh to give up his dream and miss out on the culmination of all his efforts just to watch his final match and be his cheerleader. He doesn't want his friends to be passive with their goals and make it a second priority

He literally couldn't have been, he was upset he couldn't be, he thought of Ash and their promise
Heck he literally thanks Mew for making him meet Ash
Goh had zero sense, it's insane to think you're not someone's best friend if you don't sacrifice your dream to be at an important event for someone. Goh had no choice
If May, Dawn, Serena Brock and even Misty had zero choice and had to either watch an Ash match or go to this one time, in a lifetime opportunity to accomplish their dream, they would choose the latter with Ash's full backing and support
except it ultimately shows that this happened because of Anipoke's godawful planning and production issues. As a result I think this kind of damaged Goh's bond with Ash. Goh had no idea that he was called upon exactly for finding Mew, as this was not the first time Goh left for Project Mew trial missions. They should have just done Project Mew right before the M8 arc and quit with the stupid filler episodes, but that would mean less money gained off Eevee and Cinderace, so idk.

The fact that Goh gave Eternatus to Leon right before leaving does him no favours either. People were literally freaking out that Leon would use Eternatus against Ash in the finals. Before the Ash vs Leon battle you could argue that Goh could be at least his second best human friend after Brock. But right now, not for me. Goh was the victim of poor planning.

Brock did leave Ash after deciding to become a pokemon doctor, but he travelled with him for a grand total of four regions while trying to find himself. Misty was pretty much the same but only travelled in 3 regions, but I'd argue she was closer to Ash (especially in Johto) than Brock was at the time. Dawn, May and Serena were there for Ash after finishing the Grand Festival/Kalos Queen performance contests when they could have just left the second day after their respective grand festivals for another challenge in another region. May waited for three months after the grand festival, and then went with Ash to Kanto, Dawn waited for one month after her own grand festival to cheer Ash in the sinnoh league, Serena sat there for quite a while after the Master Class tournament and so on.

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
except it ultimately shows that this happened because of Anipoke's godawful planning and production issues. As a result I think this kind of damaged Goh's bond with Ash. Goh had no idea that he was called upon exactly for finding Mew, as this was not the first time Goh left for Project Mew trial missions. They should have just done Project Mew right before the M8 arc and quit with the stupid filler episodes, but that would mean less money gained off Eevee and Cinderace, so idk.

The fact that Goh gave Eternatus to Leon right before leaving does him no favours either. People were literally freaking out that Leon would use Eternatus against Ash in the finals. Before the Ash vs Leon battle you could argue that Goh could be at least his second best human friend after Brock. But right now, not for me. Goh was the victim of poor planning.

Brock did leave Ash after deciding to become a pokemon doctor, but he travelled with him for a grand total of four regions while trying to find himself. Misty was pretty much the same but only travelled in 3 regions, but I'd argue she was closer to Ash (especially in Johto) than Brock was at the time. Dawn, May and Serena were there for Ash after finishing the Grand Festival/Kalos Queen performance contests when they could have just left the second day after their respective grand festivals for another challenge in another region. May waited for three months after the grand festival, and then went with Ash to Kanto, Dawn waited for one month after her own grand festival to cheer Ash in the sinnoh league, Serena sat there for quite a while after the Master Class tournament and so on.
So…if I’m understanding this correctly…you’re arguing that Goh can’t be Ash’s best friend IN-UNIVERSE because of meta/out-of-universe reasons related to the production of episodes?

Bulu likes pepsi

So…if I’m understanding this correctly…you’re arguing that Goh can’t be Ash’s best friend IN-UNIVERSE because of meta/out-of-universe reasons related to the production of episodes?
Except that's not what people will debate a few years from now when mentioning Ash's friends during some Gen 10 thread and will just bash Goh for it.

This happened with May as well because of her VA issues and I feel she is really underrated now. I think she has almost the same bond with Ash as Dawn does.

Last edited:

Ryker101

Ohh another ep? Wasn’t expecting that, makes me wonder how the last one will go

Can’t believe we’re actually at the end of this series, crazy

Damerdal

[Dam]n h[er] Gan[dal]f!
Yeah, it was a solid final ep. I like to beieve it’s where the whole XY continuity ended, and everything afterwards happens in an AU. All the seeming retcons in JN make it even easier for me to see it that way.

They would literally be impossible, since (end/postgame spoilers) the time machine that brought Korai/Miraidon into the present is a one-way thing and only works in one direction

IMO, the "continuity" (if there ever was one), was OS-DP. Ash felt like a true evolving character.

BW broke it apart with the personality and skill 'resets'. It tried to connect back to OS-DP with some continuity references, viz. Dawn and Charizard, but it didn't really fit.

XY felt very self-contained. Ash returned to form and was pretty mature for the most part. However, the references to previous sagas was minimal. Morever, no reserves showed up in the Kalos League, which made no sense as Ash deliberately explained why he wasn't using reserves for the Hoenn League, but had no problem using them for the subsequent Battle Frontier and Sinnoh League. Obviously Ash was skilled, but he was not necessarily carrying over the Countershield/match-up strategizing that he did in Sinnoh. If anything, BW-XY felt like its own thing.

SM turned Ash into a concept. Mayybbbeeee you could say that he was vacationing and chilling out on the beach after Kalos, but it felt like Ash was becoming more of a template that could be copied-pasted to whatever particular series tone. However, there were continuity references again. Lastly, I'd say JN Ash probably is just a continuation of SM Ash.

So...

OS-DP Ash
BW-XY Ash -(?)-> SM-JN Ash

GohMaster!

Goh Gettem!
IMO, the "continuity" (if there ever was one), was OS-DP. Ash felt like a true evolving character.

BW broke it apart with the personality and skill 'resets'. It tried to connect back to OS-DP with some continuity references, viz. Dawn and Charizard, but it didn't really fit.

XY felt very self-contained. Ash returned to form and was pretty mature for the most part. However, the references to previous sagas was minimal. Morever, no reserves showed up in the Kalos League, which made no sense as Ash deliberately explained why he wasn't using reserves for the Hoenn League, but had no problem using them for the subsequent Battle Frontier and Sinnoh League. Obviously Ash was skilled, but he was not necessarily carrying over the Countershield/match-up strategizing that he did in Sinnoh. If anything, BW-XY felt like its own thing.

SM turned Ash into a concept. Mayybbbeeee you could say that he was vacationing and chilling out on the beach after Kalos, but it felt like Ash was becoming more of a template that could be copied-pasted to whatever particular series tone. However, there were continuity references again. Lastly, I'd say JN Ash probably is just a continuation of SM Ash.

So...

OS-DP Ash
BW-XY Ash -(?)-> SM-JN Ash
That feels about right, although even BW to XY and also SM to JN feel like pretty big leaps.

Sham

The Guardian of Ruin and Birth
Goh is no more Ash's close friend than any other trainer he's travelled with. You could try and find "subtle" hints but that doesn't mean anything because he's never verbally said anything. If I were to give my opinion he's shown more moments with Dawn displaying how great their friendship is but it's for interpretation

Spyro39

I always took Sun and Moon, Ash as him always being on vacation. DP from BW Ash will always be jarring. I could kind of see BW to XY Ash as him trying to be serious after being embarrassed on National TV in Unova.
Well, Ash went to Unova on vacation, so I see it more like he was in vacation mode there as well, so he wasn't taking his time seriously in the region while also experimenting with new stuff as a trainer. It was only after he took a step backward in the Unova League did he acknowledge most of the stuff he did didn't work out and realize he needed to get his act together for his next trip to Kalos.

Sham

I remember when people were coping so hard pretending that Unova didn't exist and so much so that they took a filler from XY (mirror universe) and convinced themselves that was mirror Ash and not the real one. So glad JN destroyed that theory and acknowledges it happened and existed.

MunchMunch

Goh is no more Ash's close friend than any other trainer he's travelled with. You could try and find "subtle" hints but that doesn't mean anything because he's never verbally said anything. If I were to give my opinion he's shown more moments with Dawn displaying how great their friendship is but it's for interpretation
Agreed, Ash seems pretty close with all his companions....
Except for Chloe. Have they ever even talked to each other?

Sham

Agreed, Ash seems pretty close with all his companions....
Except for Chloe. Have they ever even talked to each other?
Chloe is more of an introvert but means well. She clearly cares enough to watch all of his battles in the PWC and left immediately before the match left started to cheer extra for Goh and herself.

I think the "problem" with Chloe is that she isn't constantly acknolwding how much Ash inspires or helps her constantly. It's very clear that she cares about and thanks him for letting her more out of her shell. I'm not sure how other people handle this but I put friendships in different boxes rather than "they must be more best friend or we aren't friends at all" and Chloe is the latter.

MunchMunch

Chloe is more of an introvert but means well. She clearly cares enough to watch all of his battles in the PWC and left immediately before the match left started to cheer extra for Goh and herself.

I think the "problem" with Chloe is that she isn't constantly acknolwding how much Ash inspires or helps her constantly. It's very clear that she cares about and thanks him for letting her more out of her shell. I'm not sure how other people handle this but I put friendships in different boxes rather than "they must be more best friend or we aren't friends at all" and Chloe is the latter.
Yep true, even in the beginning she kind of just did her own thing. She still viewed Goh as a friend, but wasn't constantly down his neck and went about her own problems by herself. I view Goh the same way, as well. Now that I think about it, both Goh and Chloe are quite different from Ash's other friends in that they're more independent. We even got episodes of the shows where Goh and Chloe starred in without Ash.

Sham

Yep true, even in the beginning she kind of just did her own thing. She still viewed Goh as a friend, but wasn't constantly down his neck and went about her own problems by herself. I view Goh the same way, as well. Now that I think about it, both Goh and Chloe are quite different from Ash's other friends in that they're more independent. We even got episodes of the shows where Goh and Chloe starred in without Ash.
Yep, I actually think that's how trouble starts when you start assuming everybody is you close friend instead of examining what type of friendship that is and analyzing it, which is another conversation. And yes, it always boggle my mind how she almost treated Goh the exact same despite being friends since they were kids but the self inserts think she's plotting his demise. Almost instead of not acknowledging her personality and has nothing to do with the self insert Mental illness.

If a girl isn't constantly praising Ash and up his butt she's a witch

Last edited:

Guy100

Well, its a no brainer of what Ash is going to do setting off; more pokemon training to become a Pokemon Master.

But, I'm now curious what type of objective Goh will purpose his journey. Perhaps wanting to see more of the world like Ash did and catch more pokemon and Mew? Just seems redundant, and not like Ash's previous training arc adventures, where he's not just catching pokemon but he's also using them for competitive battles and helping them to learn new moveset to toughen up for the big leagues.

Then again, Goh may just continue on being a research fellow as he goes to study more pokemon as he catches them, but i'm hoping there is something more. With no Project Mew for the time being, Goh's longevity to continue on as one of the main characters just seems unworthy of an exciting adaventure if there's no expectation of seizing a short-term goal at the end, if all he's doing is just collecting pokemon.

At least for Ash the short-term goals of his regional training arc adventure was to compete and win a league tournament to become a champion which would catapult him closer to his dream of being a master.

I've said it before, but of Goh doe end up going on his own seperate journey, I hope Ash at the near ending of this episode meets Lugia and capture it towards the end, and uses it as his mode of transportation to get to whatever destination he's going.