• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

December 23rd: PM2019 137 - The Distant Blue Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Saturday

Unfurl your Blessed Wings!
You’re making me sad. Ash would never be a dead beat dad
Says who? Him being a good Pokemon trainer and main character doesn't mean he'd be a good dad, hell look at Aang from the ATLA.

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?

Blue Saturday

I was amused when I saw the amount of bitter fans so angry with Legend of Korra for "ruining" the original cast by making them imperfect people as adults/parents.
Yeah, people still salty to this day.

I find it interesting the main heroes of the show mostly turned out to be not-so-hot parents. Aang playing favorites with his Air bender son (officially making him not-"The Last Airbender" anymore)and Toph allowing Suyin to get so out-of-control after her strict upbringing where she couldn't be or do what she wanted so had to run away.

Lelouch-Red

Is this not I Choose You Ash? Nothing that happens in this is necessarily “canon” to the original universe.

That doesn’t make it irrelevant obviously, but if Haruto is this Ash’s dad or son or whatever, it doesn’t necessarily have implications for the rest of the series, which is fine.
Thats not true. AU movies never changed family relationships. So if the kid is Ash's dad, then he will be his dad also in the mainline series.

Eevee903

You are awesome!
Even if we get a small glimpse of Daddy Ketchum, we still wonder what happened to him exactly.

I bet Delia is here to talk about she misses her husband and I doubt we will ever know what happened to him

Says who? Him being a good Pokemon trainer and main character doesn't mean he'd be a good dad, hell look at Aang from the ATLA.
Wasn’t Aang literally dead

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Wasn’t Aang literally dead
In Korra, he was, but when he was an adult, he played favorites with Tenzin over his other non-airbending children. Good to preserve Airbending, but incredibly awful when there were two other children not into that element he didn't nurture as much.

You want a worse example? HxH's Ging Freecs is your hobo. Not even having one child was enough for this superb hunter to be an absolute **** to his only son that he made sure to put literal death traps (even using his own friends as bait) should his son ever tried to find him.

Ash Ketchum!

Pokemon Trainer
The cheapest but most effective way to make Ash's dad relevant is to reveal that - while he is perhaps Haruto as a kid in an AU universe - he actually became a Pokemon Master, so Ash has to fight him in the last 11 episodes he has to claim the self-made title only two people in the whole world made up.

The lazy way? This episode is extremely self-contained and nothing really happens.

IIRC didn't somebody on the staff a long time ago say Ash's Dad was a deadbeat/failed trainer while his grandfather was supposed to have been a legendary trainer?

A funny but lazy plot twist in the final 11 episodes would be if Professor Oak was. revealed to be Ash's grandfather, making him and Gary brothers lol.

But I doubt they'd go there.

Last edited:

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
IIRC didn't somebody on the staff a long time ago say Ash's Dad was a deadbeat/failed trainer while his grandfather was supposed to have been a legendary trainer?
that was Shudo's old novelization, which isn't canon

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Wow I can't believe they just literally announced that Korra fawking DIED!
I'm guessing it's another 100-ish year skip. Though what happened to that Kyoshi prequel movie that was announced before?

Eevee903

You are awesome!
I'm guessing it's another 100-ish year skip. Though what happened to that Kyoshi prequel movie that was announced before?
Maybe still in the works? We have a new series,a movie about the new series and a movie about Aang and friends for 2025. Plus live action series in 2023

divinepokemonXZ

ALL HAIL THE GORILLA-FROG!
Speaking of Avatar:

Maybe senior will have the same dream as junior in today's episode?
A new Earth avatar? Too bad he/she won't be able to meet Kyoshi due to the events of LoK... I could totally imagine her being hilariously perplexed and slightly annoyed by a Generation Alpha avatar who is addicted to Fortnite.

Blue Saturday

A new Earth avatar? Too bad he/she won't be able to meet Kyoshi due to the events of LoK... I could totally imagine her being hilariously perplexed and slightly annoyed by a Generation Alpha avatar who is addicted to Fortnite.
Damn, you just reminded Korra really broke the Avatar Cycle.

Really did not feel like she got many substantial victories or personal successes during her time on the show but breaking the Avatar Cycle was an insane loss.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
If that is his father then we better get a good answer on why he’s been absent for 25 years and has Delia as a single mother
Japan doesn’t have joint custody like they do in Western countries. When the parents break up, custody is given to one parent, most likely the mother, and she can alienate the father from his child. That’s also why we see a lot of single parents in anime.
What if Haruto is actually Ash's kid from the future, and he went back in time with Celebi to meet his dad who he's heard so much about, but never met...
I can see it. Haruto has Delia’s hair piece in the front and Ash’s hairstyle in the back. I wouldn’t want him to be his father, kid, or any relation to him since he’s ugly and generic looking. I’m gonna go with long lost half brother or the one to tell Ash how he can become/get one step closer to becoming a Pokémon Master.
Adult Haruto (in the shadow next to Hanako...I think? Seems to have the same hairstyle only on an adult frame and smaller head matured) and Satoshi also seems to have this hairstyle:
FkfdStdVEAAooVv

FkfdT5aVEAEGCQT

FkkvwtXakAAY-uO

My only issue with this is Haruto looks way too plain and generic to be Satoshi's dad. Plus no Z-facial energy marks. Kind of reminds me of a random AG-DP stock character.
Haruto doesn’t really resemble Ash. If he was his father, Ash would’ve inherited the willow’s peak-side bangs combo, light colored hair, and pale skin but he doesn’t. I like the idea of Ash meeting his biological father as a kid but we don’t need it a third time since his PRESENT, NON ABANDONED, NON UGLY, and NON PHONY fathers (Professor Oak and Professor Kukui) were there for him. I hope they don’t turn Ash into a Pokémon professor just like Gary did. They put that onto Koharu for a good reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.