• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

December 24th: PM2019 092 - Gangar Does Its Best! The Road to Kyodaimax!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuzamaki90

Or maybe you could not resort to a demeaning generalization, and actually read every comment individually?

Same as above.

The problems I personally have with this have nothing to do with "Gengar getting focus" and "complaining for the sake of it", more so other factors. This 2-parter seems more like a showcase of a gimmick, with Gengar being thrown a bone as a pitiful coincidence, rather than true-blue-genuine development and focus for Gengar. It also doesn't help that Pokemon development is restricted to obligatory focus episodes (which, mind you, Gengar hasn't even gotten even a single one of more than a year and a half since its capture) instead of being spread out and being organic over time. It's even more sad that Pokemon appearances outside those episodes are being treated as some sort of big celebratory moments when this would have been the norm in past series.

Moving on, it's not even actual proof that Gengar won't continue to be mistreated narratively after this 2-parter, just look what happened to Sirfetch'd even after it had a decent mini-arc + evolution. Furthermore, after the last major PWC related mini-arc being botched with all sorts of pacing and narrative decisions that affected its overall quality, the skepticism for this 2-parter only increases even more, not even counting the complete lack of build-up to it.
You taking Gengar getting focus in the most negative way possible has nothing to do with the show mate, that’s just sheer pessimism on your part. We have no clue what either episode is about, so I don’t know how you took the title mentioning Gigantamax as this two parter being nothing but a “gimmick showcase”. Losing battles =/= mistreated narratively, especially when you conveniently take away the narrative context. During the DD arc, Gengar’s brief appearance was of it and Dragapult working together to eventually defeat a G-Max Coalossal. In the Volkner battle, Gengar’s influence directly lead to Luxray going down which both Ash and the announcer made clear.

When Gengar, or any of Ash’s Pokémon appear for that matter, they make their presence known, and none of either Gengar or Sirfetch’d’s appearances have come off as negative, unless you can point me to a specific example? It’s not a generalization when you guys do in fact complain about Gengar’s screentime and its losses, and then reading through the various reactions here and they all are basically saying the same thing.

Also, saying “we don’t have actual proof this will change anything” is pretty hypocritical, because we don’t have actual proof that it won’t change anything either. Like I already described, there is an entire year left of the show and Ash’s current PWC story is no where near finished so we don’t in fact know what’s in store. It’s not “too late” or “too early” because we literally don’t have a clue where things are headed, and even if these episodes happened earlier, it would have made no difference with the episodes that aired this year. Lucario after being absent almost entirely since it evolved, has been showing up plenty since the ME mini arc ended, and Inteleon went from sleeping for 15+ episodes to playing a role in just about every Goh focused episode since it evolved.

And to that last part, it sounds a lot like you are pushing your subjective opinion as objective. The showrunners told you before the series even began how the show would be structured, and the more episodic nature of stories being told. If you still can’t get behind that 2 years into the series, I really don’t know what to tell you. I have been a critic of this show’s unbalanced handling of Ash and Goh’s screentime, but you’re judging the show for what it isn’t rather than what it is.

Soniman

Break the Limit
You taking Gengar getting focus in the most negative way possible has nothing to do with the show mate, that’s just sheer pessimism on your part.
Though I'm looking forward to the episodes myself, if someone who's been very critical and unimpressed by most of what JN has done so far what reason do they have to be over the moon that they're finally doing something that should've been done over a year ago on top of not having the greatest faith in the possible execution of said episodes to begin with? Look at it with that perspective, it makes sense.

nuzamaki90

Though I'm looking forward to the episodes myself, if someone who's been very critical and unimpressed by most of what JN has done so far what reason do they have to be over the moon that they're finally doing something that should've been done over a year ago on top of not having the greatest faith in the possible execution of said episodes to begin with? Look at it with that perspective, it makes sense.
They don’t, which goes back to my original comment. Again, I don’t understand the whole “should’ve been done a year ago thing” when nothing happened to warrant it. A year ago Gengar’s screentime wasn’t as scattered as it was this year, and there was no real urgency to it because Ash was in the lower Classes and still finding his footing in the PWC. The higher Ash ranks up, the more the competition is going to ask from him, which was also his motivation for seeking out Mega Evolution for Lucario.

I can’t look at it from the same lens because I don’t see the logic. I was very critical of Sun and Moon, but I still watched every episode every week, cautiously interested in what the show would do next and how it would handle things. I didn’t go in thinking things would automatically be bad, but I was wary. I was very critical of Journeys’ first year, but my opinion on the show improved vastly during this second year. So what reason would I have to go into the episodes that everyone’s been waiting for, expecting the worst? At that point you’re going out of your way to watch something you don’t like, knowing you won’t like it.

Red and Blue

Do you think Gengar's GMax is natural or Max Soup-triggered?
Unless the two parter is in Isle of Armor then Gengar probably already has it. In the anime all Pokemon with a GMAX form appear to already have access to it unlike the games

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
Finally some redemption to Gengar, i hope that it learn some new moves!!!

Which isn't late,rowlet started getting major screentime after 00 when hau and meltan came in the picture.

Friendship ended with Diamond/Pearl 2 Parter

Now Gengar G-Max 2 Parter is my Best Friend
Yeah now ash will amnesia and will forget about his other friends until other old companion pops up.

ImBeVillain

No more six members
That isnt true, it learnt Zmoves and it learnt moves with Tapu Bulbu. Gengar did nothing since JN018 of development
Alola team has more learned moves on screentime.

Pikachu - Electroweb
Incineroar - Fire Fang, Flame Charge, Revenge, Fire Blast
Lycanroc - Rock Slide, Crunch, Stone Edge, Counter, Accelerock
Rowlet - Razor Leaf, Brave Bird, Seed Bomb, Feather Dance
Melmetal - Double Iron Bash

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Hmmm...a two-parter about Gengar and Ghost-types?

And if so, please tell me a Ghost-type expert will show up to help out.
It's looking like it will actually be a Psychic-type expert, that being the Saffron Gym Leader Sabrina.

Red and Blue

It's looking like it will actually be a Psychic-type expert, that being the Saffron Gym Leader Sabrina.
We don't know that despite the possibility of her being one of the Hyper Class opponents. We don't even know if Gengar Gigantamaxing is related to the PWC

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I’m just wondering why they couldn’t spread out its development in between its capture episode and now when Ash has had multiple Pokémon receive focus at once in the past. Farfetch’d and Drizzile had this same issue. It’s not even like his Pokémon are doing anything most of the time outside of PWC battles. Not going to tell anyone they can’t be happy for this but it’s still odd that his second capture this saga is just now getting major focus and that people are celebrating the bare minimum now lol

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
I’m just wondering why they couldn’t spread out its development in between its capture episode and now when Ash has had multiple Pokémon receive focus at once in the past. Farfetch’d and Drizzile had this same issue. It’s not even like his Pokémon are doing anything most of the time outside of PWC battles. Not going to tell anyone they can’t be happy for this but it’s still odd that his second capture this saga is just now getting major focus and that people are celebrating the bare minimum now lol
One of the main issues in JN overall is that it can only focus on one thing at a time and when it does so it ignores everything else

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Gengar getting G-Max sounds cool on paper, but I'm worried about it being Galar-only.

All of Ash's PWC matches have to be in Galar from now on if we want even a chance of seeing it again over Mega Lucario and 10 Mil Thunderbolt.

I guess we're guaranteed it showing up in the Masters 8 (provided it's like the Alola League where everyone gets to shine and not the Kalos League where only a single Pokemon matters)

Man, I wish the DD arc ended with Etrnatus making it possible to use Dynamax in every region.

divinepokemonXZ

ALL HAIL THE GORILLA-FROG!
People are being overdramatic.

Anyway, I hope this means we are seeing Allister.

Blue Saturday

Unfurl your Blessed Wings!
I really miss S&M’s approach of giving Pokémon every episode appearances outside their balls, whether that be a comedy scene, personality scene or just a quick little training skit. I think it was a writing choice due to the drastic change in formula for S&M and the organic almost family like connection Alola had to Pokemon and people.

I was rewatching the episode where Kaki got Garagara and it was nice to just have Nyabby appear to participate in the crown ceremony even if it didn’t do anything pertaining to the main plot with Garagara’s capture or Mukuroh’s family randomly joining it to tutor it Feather Dance to deal with Juni’per.

Status
Not open for further replies.