• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

December 29th: PM2019 007: The Houen Region, Site of Fierce Fights! The Battle Frontier Challenge!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
The idea that any story is somehow beholden to make quote unquote " evil " characters apologize or regret their actions is idiotic in the first place.
I expect karma to hit evil characters in children's shows, which this is. I also expect the narrative not to destroy other people's characterization just so the writers' pet gets more praise. Such as Ash and Cynthia in DP040. Ash defends Paul abandoning the match, which makes absolutely no sense given Ash's personality. Paul didn't abandon the match to spare his Pokémon. He abandoned it because he was a coward. See below for Cynthia.
To be honest I never expected the entire Pokémon community to call out Paul’s actions considering nobody does that in real life. It’s the “don’t tell me how to parent my child” syndrome. Nobody was around Paul 25/8 to see how he treats his Pokémon (only Ash and co comes close) so nobody could actually condemn him and even if they did... what could they do besides talk to him? He wasn’t causing immediate danger all the time to his Pokémon.
Cynthia battled Paul, watched him yell at his Pokemon for his own mistakes, saw that he wasn't even going to take them to a Pokemon Center, and was just like "I'll heal you Pokemon" and "It's just different training methods" after which she left. And given that Paul does not change, I can guarantee what happened during the Hearthome tournament was a common occurence with Chimchar getting the harshest treatment.
Is this any different from AJ's weird Pokemon dungeon getting brushed off with "Nah they like him so it's fine." back in episode 10?
Considering AJ was back in the Shudo era, it's very different. Sandshrew probably would've been one of the leading revolution members.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
He wasn't a coward lol. It's similar to Pokemon adventures where blue ends the fight with mew coz clearly he is outmatched. That's the same.
Yeah just because they get karma usually doesn't mean it should always happen. Their rivalry was always meant for Ash to triumph over Paul with his training method using a Pokemon Paul discarded as weak. It's thematic and made sense. Just because Paul is a harsh trainer doesn't mean he is a weak trainer, so him driving the match to the ire makes perfect sense. His Pokemon are loyal to him as shown when they were sad he lost and accept him, it's loyalty, Pokemon never abandon their trainers. His arc was set up to make his training methods in the end inferior coz he didn't show compassion which helped bring out chimchars strength. Ash doesn't contradict himself in DP040 he just explains him abandoning it. And yeah Paul is harsh but it doesnt make sense for cynthia to invade in it. And you want the cliche regrets his decision in the children show but you are mad when the cliche almost loses but gets up in the last second to win happens?
Your criticism of Paul is contradictory. I can get if it's ur opinion u don't like how he was handled but claiming it is a fact that it was bad and dragging down everyone who likes it is childish.

Yeah but at the same time pretending the actions never happened because the writers want the character to stay around longer always feels weird.

I watched Sinnoh 9 or so years ago, I barely remember specifics from BW, let alone DP.

I have zero dog in this supposed " debate " no matter how dumb I think it is

That said, I seem to remember that Ash did have a problem with what Paul did and Ash did think what Paul was doing was wrong and the show showed that several times

I expect karma to hit evil characters in children's shows, which this is. I also expect the narrative not to destroy other people's characterization just so the writers' pet gets more praise. Such as Ash and Cynthia in DP040. Ash defends Paul abandoning the match, which makes absolutely no sense given Ash's personality. Paul didn't abandon the match to spare his Pokémon. He abandoned it because he was a coward. See below for Cynthia.

Cynthia battled Paul, watched him yell at his Pokemon for his own mistakes, saw that he wasn't even going to take them to a Pokemon Center, and was just like "I'll heal you Pokemon" and "It's just different training methods" after which she left. And given that Paul does not change, I can guarantee what happened during the Hearthome tournament was a common occurence with Chimchar getting the harshest treatment.

Considering AJ was back in the Shudo era, it's very different. Sandshrew probably would've been one of the leading revolution members.

You're clearly letting your narrative biases influence your perception of the storytelling done in DP. That's fine of course, I have my own biases, but you're seriously close-minded to believe that media has to be black and white in portraying actions

Red and Blue

That would actually be a cool idea. Would explain why the episode wasn’t revealed until now
Intellion isnt in the title or summary though. Revealing episode 7 earlier wouldnt have spoiled anything
No they didn't. The trainers abandoned THEM. And then ash came along and took them, and they chose ash over that original trainer. What the hell?
I do remember that Ash's Snivy abandoned her first trainer on her own

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Snivy and Froakie?
Froakie was a special case. It was searching for someone to draw about its latent abilities that is bond phenomenon. Snivy had an attitude as far as i remember. Whereas Paul's Pokemon accepted their trainers training methods and adopted it. They became loyal to Paul, it was evident when they became sad that Paul last.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
He wasn't a coward lol. It's similar to Pokemon adventures where blue ends the fight with mew coz clearly he is outmatched. That's the same.
Yeah just because they get karma usually doesn't mean it should always happen. Their rivalry was always meant for Ash to triumph over Paul with his training method using a Pokemon Paul discarded as weak. It's thematic and made sense. Just because Paul is a harsh trainer doesn't mean he is a weak trainer, so him driving the match to the ire makes perfect sense. His Pokemon are loyal to him as shown when they were sad he lost and accept him, it's loyalty, Pokemon never abandon their trainers. His arc was set up to make his training methods in the end inferior coz he didn't show compassion which helped bring out chimchars strength. Ash doesn't contradict himself in DP040 he just explains him abandoning it. And yeah Paul is harsh but it doesnt make sense for cynthia to invade in it. And you want the cliche regrets his decision in the children show but you are mad when the cliche almost loses but gets up in the last second to win happens?
Your criticism of Paul is contradictory. I can get if it's ur opinion u don't like how he was handled but claiming it is a fact that it was bad and dragging down everyone who likes it is childish.
Paul didn't end the fight, he ran away from it because he was losing.
If the "gets up at the last second" had been 1/4 as long I wouldn't be as mad, but I'd still be mad. 20 seconds is unacceptable when the ref called other matches in 3 IN THE SAME BATTLE. And again, Sinnoh is THE ONLY REGION where someone using Paul's methods was even allowed to work the way it did. Every other region would have his Pokemon either weak or disloyal.

I don't care if Paul regrets his actions or not. I want him punished for them regardless, and they just would not let it happen.

Snivy abandoned her Trainer, and Froakie abandoned countless Trainers. And it's not loyalty when the Trainers are like Paul. It's f***ing Stockholm Syndrome.

And to top it off, his reason for being so awful is absolutely pathetic. I'd be far more sympathetic if he'd lost a Pokemon because his weren't strong enough. But no. His entire reason for being such an arrogant jerk is "Wah, my brother lost to Brandon."

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
If the "gets up at the last second" had been 1/4 as long I wouldn't be as mad, but I'd still be mad. 20 seconds is unacceptable when the ref called other matches in 3 IN THE SAME BATTLE. And again, Sinnoh is THE ONLY REGION where someone using Paul's methods was even allowed to work the way it did. Every other region would have his Pokemon either weak or disloyal.

I don't care if Paul regrets his actions or not. I want him punished for them regardless, and they just would not let it happen.

Snivy abandoned her Trainer, and Froakie abandoned countless Trainers. And it's not loyalty when the Trainers are like Paul. It's f***ing Stockholm Syndrome.

And to top it off, his reason for being so awful is absolutely pathetic. I'd be far more sympathetic if he'd lost a Pokemon because his weren't strong enough. But no. His entire reason for being such an arrogant jerk is "Wah, my brother lost to Brandon."

You don't get it, seeing his brother lose like that made him consider him weak, and his training method inferior, which is why he adopted his harsh training regime. His ideology ultimately fails to Ash's ideology as he is defeated by his own Pokemon who he couldn't draw out the full strength because of his training method. Which leads to him showing hints of change when he leaves the show, it was part of growth for his character. It doesn't matter what you call it Stockholm syndrome or whatever but his Pokemon were loyal and accepted his training methods. It wouldn't make sense for them to disobey him causing him to lose. Ur proposition of ash vs Paul is so lame and anticlimatic and ruins their entire rivalry just to push a moral agenda. It was perfect as it was

Thumbs2

And again, Sinnoh is THE ONLY REGION where someone using Paul's methods was even allowed to work the way it did. Every other region would have his Pokemon either weak or disloyal.
I mean, which methods? Having all his Pokemon attack one of his Pokemon? Ash did that in the same region.
Catching a bunch of Pokemon and switching them out? Gary did that.
Giving up in the middle of a battle should have disqualified him, but that's different from his strength.

From what we've seen of Paul's training, it's nothing too harsh. He's a jerk, but most of that comes from stuff outside of battle, like the Maylene incident.

As for loyalty, his Pokemon are a lot like him, as shown by Elekid. Even if they weren't, Pokemon tend to just follow orders no matter how bad the trainer, as Ekans taught us.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Why don't we get back on topic. This is a thread about this episode, not about Paul. Thank you.

Red and Blue

If we are talking Gen 8 Pokemon making a appearance in the tournament there is Obstagoon. Zigzagoon was the only Gen 3 Pokemon to get a Galarian form and evolution

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.

Paul is still the best rival to date. Perfectly written, dark, and quite opposite than any rival so far. He was factually unique. In the end he turned out to be a "good guy" making his arc worthy of everyone's time. Done. Period.Case closed.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Back to the topic, the episode, not Paul. Thanks.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I do remember that Ash's Snivy abandoned her first trainer on her own

If I recall correctly, Iris and Cilan speculated Snivy was trained.

For this case, we'd need Dephender or someone else with a good understanding of japanese to double check the scene and clarify things.

Status
Not open for further replies.