• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

December 9th: PM2019 135 - Pokémon! I Am Glad I Got To Meet You!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yuugis Black Magician

Namaikina Imouto
I'm glad that Asada Yuuji and Iwane Masaaki were able to work on this episode. For Iwane this will be his 23rd storyboard credit for the 2019 animated series and his 23 episode director credit for the series, including the four Arceus specials, which he was also the series director for. For Iwane Masaaki this will be his 23rd solo episode (inlcuding the four Arceus specials), which he also provided key animation for nine episodes of other teams (assuming he does not provide key animation for #132-134). That would mean Iwane has solo key animated 111 episodes since 1998's けっせん!グレンジム! (1998.08.20). What a hell of a ride.

Red and Blue

If it's not the final episode it could still be the penultimate one that sets up what Ash and Go decide their future

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
I wonder how many episodes titles it will take before people stop being baited by them.
Watches thread as everyone appears to be baited by the title…

Yuugis Black Magician

Namaikina Imouto
It seems weird to me that the director isn’t storybarding this one if this is indeed the final episode…

Yajima storyboarded XY140.
Tomiyasu storyboarded SM146.

Asada Yuuji has previously storyboarded and directed the last episode of the 1997 television series and Diamond & Pearl. Furthermore, as the storyboard artist and episode director of the 1997 series' Episode #3 (where Satoshi captures Caterpie) he is the longest-running episode director left still regularly working on the franchise. Furthermore, Asada has storyboarded and directed most of the franchise's best and most important episodes and was also series director for Diamond & Pearl Episodes #171-193 and the four Arceus specials that were released on Amazon Prime in January 2022. Also, he and Iwane Masaaki are pretty much a duo. While Asada has in recent years provided storyboards for episodes that he has not directed (or provided episode direction for episodes that he did not storyboard) he has exclusively provided both roles for the episodes solo key animated by Iwane Masaaki. Iwane and Asada are both alumni from the old Studio Cockpit (written in Katakana), which Episode #3 of the 1997 series was sub-contracted to and thus how both originally joined the original series. After Studio Cockpit closed down the two formed a separate, two-person studio known as 'Cockpit' (written in Hiragana) and have been working together to continue the system that they had been using since before Studio Cockpit (written in Katakana) closed down.

Basically, it just makes sense for Asada and Iwane to handle the last episode of a series. They more than anyone else have defined the franchise.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
The title does sound like a finale. But no indication in the TV guide hints it might not be a case.

I could see it as the one Ash and Goh part ways? Or at least as an epilogue to the current setting before a hypothetical Paldea arc

DankOverlord

Komodo Dragons Rule!
The title does sound like a finale. But no indication in the TV guide hints it might not be a case.

I could see it as the one Ash and Goh part ways? Or at least as an epilogue to the current setting before a hypothetical Paldea arc
Likely to be a Goh/Ash full separation episode. This comes off the heels of Goh's finale two-parter in Project Mew so suddenly turning it into an Ash finalizing with like no episodes beforehand to have a full celebration would be rushed. Though they could always pull that off

Yuugis Black Magician

Namaikina Imouto
What really confuses me is the title being a reference to 0001

When a series end there's usually always a really dramatic and sombre tone to the title, so this makes sense as both an ending and a beginning. Satoshi and Gou will begin new periods of their lives, whether we get to see those adventures on screen or not.

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
I don‘t think this is the last episode of JN.

The title makes me think it could be a final episode of a Project Mew arc. Goh’s entire goal/arc was the result of wanting to catch Mew after meeting him at summer camp when he was younger. This almost feels like a callback to that - thanking him for that first meeting as it gave him a goal and direction.

I’m not 100% sold on that theory. But it seems like it could fit if I just judged things on the title alone.

Yuugis Black Magician

Namaikina Imouto
Pretty much.

To me this feels more like Goh/Ash goodbye episode as they go their separate ways more than anything else.

It's absolutely a "How do I tell my boyfriend we need to break up so that I can take up a new opportunity for my career that will make dating him difficult and I don't want to subject ourselves to a long-distance relationship when he would be much happier finding someone new" episode.

Eddieursa

Marsh Trainer
I don't know how many times I will have to say it:

Pikachu is the real star of Pokemon, both anime and games, so they are not going to get rid of the Pikachu we have met for so many years. And since they are not going to trade Pikachu to another trainer, Ash is not going to leave either.

Besides, there are several things Ash should do in the anime before we even consider him officially elaving the anime:
- A rematch against Giovanni, leader of Team Rocket.
- Winning the Kanto's League, to compensate the disaster of the very first season.
- Ash challeging the Elite Four and becoming Kanto's champion, just like in the games.
- Finally, if Goh actually catches Mew, then Ash will have to battle and capture Mewtwo.

If Ash is removed before these events happen, then people will lose interest. Besides, they said that Ash will always have 10 years in the anime, so there's no reason to change him.

One more thing, is the next region is based on Spain, I don't want Ash leaving the anime before he visits my homeland.

nuzamaki90

VERY curious on what the plot of this episode will end up being. A party thrown by Ash’s old friends? One last Team Rocket hurrah? Ash and Goh finally have an official battle?

The blatant reference to episode 1 makes me feel like this’ll be a real tearjerker. Insanely happy that Iwane and Asada were chosen to bring this one to a close.

Status
Not open for further replies.