• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

December 9th: PM2019 135 - Pokémon! I Am Glad I Got To Meet You!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sham

The Guardian of Ruin and Birth

MunchMunch

It also could just mean that they felt like mentioning him as The Alolan Champion, just wasn't a necessary plot point to bring up.

UnovaMaster

There's speculation that Ash and Goh will sight a legendary in this ep, a Paldean one or maybe just Luigi? er I mean Lugia

Wait that's what the reference is for, this is another Ho-Oh moment

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Ash literally received cheers from random strangers in the audience as soon as he stepped to stage in the finals, he had fans recognising him like in the aftermath of Marnie and Cynthia episodes, his battles were shown to be telecasted worldwide
PWC was shown to be broadcasted everywhere and a huge deal with a lot of fanfare
They went out of their way to make sure Ash is recognised and celebrated by people other than the characters we know
It'll be very weird to pretend he's a sudden nobody again, esp with how hard they pushed the fame aspect of his

DayQuil95

1) Paul battles Ash by explicitly using Pokemon owned by the Master Class Trainers and to top it off, battles using their style explicitly to train him. Despite this, he still holds his own and arguably even pushes Ash to a certain extent. This is nowhere close to full-strength Paul or his actual style. He's known for being a detail-oriented and strategic trainer who would never battle a serious opponent with such a handicap. He'd have come in prepared with an optimal team if it was him going to fight Ash at his best.
Putting ridiculous scaling aside, yeah Paul would be the closest trainer that we know of in power and skill to the Masters 8, but when he himself said that he was not on their level, and the anime leads up to the logical plot follow-up that they're on a league of their own, it becomes clear what the intention there was, and just who's stronger than who. I fully believe he could push Ash more than he did, but to the extent of the likes he fought in the Masters 8? Not even close.

GhostWallker98

Putting ridiculous scaling aside, yeah Paul would be the closest trainer that we know of in power and skill to the Masters 8, but when he himself said that he was not on their level, and the anime leads up to the logical plot follow-up that they're on a league of their own, it becomes clear what the intention there was, and just who's stronger than who. I fully believe he could push Ash more than he did, but to the extent of the likes he fought in the Masters 8? Not even close.
Paul never said that he was not on their level. All he said was that he is "not one for festivities".

Ryker101

Back when I judged robotics competitions, spectators and student volunteers would constantly belittle the winning team by saying how much they could do better.
The head judge got on the microphone and told them that they were gutless, STI-infected twits who lacked the conviction to actually pick up a pen and sign up, much less actually put axles into motors.
Indeed, there are people who will be better than you. That's life, but the idea that you aren't world champion because not everyone who could participate participated is such a bad take.
Lol it’s like saying winning the Olympics doesn’t make you a champion, because some other people are theoretically better than you. That argument makes no sense

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
eh tbf; hypothetically, Paldea could just be a region that paid no attention to the PWC as its none of their concern or worth their time. Besides, Paldea as a region doesn't seem to really be the battling type to begin with.
That would be lame, and considering Champion is a rank in Paldea with many trainers being champions, and it having a whole gym challenge and Pokemon league association with a chairman, it'll be very weird to see Paldea not have any interest in a worldwide battling event like the PWC, i don't buy it
Paul never said that he was not on their level. All he said was that he is "not one for festivities".
Paul literally said if Ash struggled against him, he would be no match for the M8, implying very clearly M8 are above him

bruhidk

LARRY SUPREMACY
The real reason why there's no Paldean trainers isn't because they didn't exist when the PWC was first announced it's because Geeta would have made Larry participate and despite being apathetic towards mostly everything that's not food he would 6-0 everyone with dudunsparce

ShadowForce720

The real reason why there's no Paldean trainers isn't because they didn't exist when the PWC was first announced it's because Geeta would have made Larry participate and despite being apathetic towards mostly everything that's not food he would 6-0 everyone with dudunsparce
As for the in-universe reason why we didn’t see any trainers from Paldea and Alola in the PWC that’s because they only showed the trainers that Ash was battling and the Masters 8.

So there could have easily been trainers from Paldea and Alola have in the PWC but we just didn’t see them because they weren’t relevant as Ash never battled them and they didn’t make to the Masters 8.

Keep in mind there is only 8 slots in the Masters 8 and considering there are likely a lot more regions that we don’t know about they can’t have a champion or strong trainer from every single region in the Masters 8 all at once since there aren’t enough slots.

Plus some characters probably likely just chose not to participate for a variety of reasons.

Poke Master 7

Boulder Trainer
That would be lame, and considering Champion is a rank in Paldea with many trainers being champions, and it having a whole gym challenge and Pokemon league association with a chairman, it'll be very weird to see Paldea not have any interest in a worldwide battling event like the PWC, i don't buy it
What’s there not to buy when the series does it all the time? Once upon a time they treated there being 151 Pokémon as the Bible and new Pokemon beyond that to be a wonder. Meanwhile the other regions exist. Hell Oak, an expert on Pokémon has a cousin in Alola and colleagues in Unova despite having once upon a time known nothing of Pokémon beyond Kanto existing.

GohMaster!

Goh Gettem!
As for the in-universe reason why we didn’t see any trainers from Paldea and Alola in the PWC that’s because they only showed the trainers that Ash was battling and the Masters 8.

So there could have easily been trainers from Paldea and Alola have in the PWC but we just didn’t see them because they weren’t relevant as Ash never battled them and they didn’t make to the Masters 8.

Keep in mind there is only 8 slots in the Masters 8 and considering there are likely a lot more regions that we don’t know about they can’t have a champion or strong trainer from every single region in the Masters 8 all at once since there aren’t enough slots.

Plus some characters probably likely just chose not to participate for a variety of reasons.
Ash probably shouldn't lose then if they all weren't even top 8.

Guy100

With Goh's current challenge now over, I just wonder what sort of journey Goh is thinking to go on after failing his Project Mew mission.

I was duped by JN 4th opening into thinking that Regigigas would somehow be the final obstacle in the project mew far away island arc, in which Goh would have to overcome to get to mew, but alas I expected too much. Since the final project mew trial mission, Goh had not got any new pokemon, and I was patiently expected his final capture at the end of the project Mew story would be grandiose, such as a Regigigas. At least if he failed his mission of getting mew, he had a giant Golem as a souvenir.

I'm not looking forward to this episode, but from the preview of 135, it seems maybe that Mew may show up again, if I assume that blue orb like thingy by the tree is the cat (Mew) pokemon within.

AJ97

This was mentioned when Paul was trying to "Imitate their style by using their signature Pokemon". Naturally, what Paul imitates would be inferior to what Ash would have faced in the Master Class.

We literally see Steven use Paul's exact same strategy with Metagross thanks to which Ash was able to handle it. Naturally, Steven had a lot more in store; things Paul couldn't replicate.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
What’s there not to buy when the series does it all the time? Once upon a time they treated there being 151 Pokémon as the Bible and new Pokemon beyond that to be a wonder. Meanwhile the other regions exist. Hell Oak, an expert on Pokémon has a cousin in Alola and colleagues in Unova despite having once upon a time known nothing of Pokémon beyond Kanto existing.
.....those are literally different things?
These are soft retcons due to the nature of the franchise evolving and growing
The Paldean trainers not caring about the PWC on the other hand is an illogical derivement with no basis and a direct contradiction of their character in the games and eventual portrayal in the anime, unless they remove the Pokemon league association or the gyms and competitive nature and whatnot.

STICKTOPIA

I feel Ash became a master defeating Leon. There’s no reason keeping Ash around as the main character anymore. Time for some new blood while Ash continues his journey off-screen.
Well it’s confirmed Ash will be in generation 9

Status
Not open for further replies.