• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

December 9th: PM2019 135 - Pokémon! I Am Glad I Got To Meet You!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
It’s literally a case that they didn’t take part because the region wasn’t even conceptualized when it happened. Notice that in the gimmick rule there’s Mega Evolution, Z-Moves and Dynamax but no Terrastalization despite the fact that, by your logic, they took part in this and it’s not like a character has to be a representative of that region to use its gimmicks as is shown with Cynthia using Mega Evolution and Dynamax and Lance uses Dynamax. So at that point, they left out the gimmick of a region that’s supposedly competing thus putting them at a disadvantage if you keep the logic that everyone was in it even beyond the 8 regions that actually existed when the tournament was created. As things stand, there’s no reason to believe that regions beyond the 8 were competing. It’s literally in the anime’s DNA that this kind of thing happens all the time because of the expansive nature of the franchise. It’s literally no different than how Pokémon from later regions suddenly started showing up in Kanto after Ash and friends went to newer regions.
You're so close to getting the point
Exactly yeah, a soft retcon of Paldean trainers having been in the PWC would be alright. Sure it'll be a soft retcon since Paldea never existed back then and we never saw Paldean trainers, plus the terrastilising point you mentioned
But they can soft retcon that yeah Paldean trainers also participated and whatnot even if they couldn't reach the masters 8
That would make sense

What wouldn't make sense is contradicting them by saying they don't CARE about the PWC, which is absolutely nonsense as we see Paldea has that competitive battling scene
So that would be changing the entire Paldean battle atmosphere in the anime and contradicting their character. That's a nonsensical choice

So I'll rather a soft retcon like we have had in the past than a nonsense choice in the narrative that makes zero sense

Tabasco Boshi

★★★★★
Exactly yeah, a soft retcon of Paldean trainers having been in the PWC would be alright. Sure it'll be a soft retcon since Paldea never existed back then and we never saw Paldean trainers, plus the terrastilising point you mentioned
But they can soft retcon that yeah Paldean trainers also participated and whatnot even if they couldn't reach the masters 8
That would make sense

What wouldn't make sense is contradicting them by saying they don't CARE about the PWC, which is absolutely nonsense as we see Paldea has that competitive battling scene
So that would be changing the entire Paldean battle atmosphere in the anime and contradicting their character. That's a nonsensical choice

So I'll rather a soft retcon like we have had in the past than a nonsense choice in the narrative that makes zero sense
I'll applaud them if they do that. That's the kind of retcons that should exist in the anime. They will always have to deal with the games introducing new things but there are ways to implement them naturally and what you exposed is simple but effective.

It always comes to my mind how James knew Carnivine since he was a kid, and had a mansion in Sinnoh. We know that wasn't planned since day 1 for obvious reasons but it was organically added to the series.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
I'll applaud them if they do that. That's the kind of retcons that should exist in the anime. They will always have to deal with the games introducing new things but there are ways to implement them naturally and what you exposed is simple but effective.

It always comes to my mind how James knew Carnivine since he was a kid, and had a mansion in Sinnoh. We know that wasn't planned since day 1 for obvious reasons but it was organically added to the series.
DP had incredible moments of calling back and adding new layers but doing it organically. In general the writing and consistency of DP hasn't been matched since
I also really liked Ash and Gary 's backstory being added, it felt like a natural extension and obviously wasn't intended from the beginning

Poke Master 7

Boulder Trainer
That would make sense

See that’s your problem, you’re expecting the writers to care enough to soft retcon about things for your convenience when in reality, they’ve crafted numerous things over the years that generate plot holes or outright contradict what came before and just sweep it under the rug because it’s not important to the story they’re telling. You’re perfectly free to headcanon these things but don’t expect the writers to cater to your headcanon.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
See that’s your problem, you’re expecting the writers to care enough to soft retcon about things for your convenience when in reality, they’ve crafted numerous things over the years that generate plot holes or outright contradict what came before and just sweep it under the rug because it’s not important to the story they’re telling. You’re perfectly free to headcanon these things but don’t expect the writers to cater to your headcanon.
I agree, but they never blatantly destroy an entire region's story like that. It'll be contradictory to the games, I doubt they'll want to do that especially when they have stuck close to the games recently
Watch them not even mention the PWC at all tho lol and all this is pointless

Guy100

Well, if this episode on Friday ends up confirming Goh's departure and revealing Ash's next goal to reaching his dream of being a Pokemon Master.

I would assume his next goal would focus on something he's never done before or has repeatly failed in doing along his journey that he needs to overcome in order to get to the next level of being a Pokemon Master.

So far to my knowledge, Ash has not done the following along his adventures which have been an inspiration for him to get stronger as a trainer and connect with Pokemon;

1) He's never met Ho-oH persoanlly, and Hoh-Oh is hailed as some sacred Pokemon that all pokemon trainers and phyiloshers of research around the world think of as some messiah of Pokemon and Human connectivity.

2) Ash has met Mewtwo, but has never defeated Mewtwo in battle whom is self-proclaimed or acknowledged by researches as the most powerful pokemon in the world.

3) Has not yet fully travelled to all regions of the World renowned for pokemon battles

4) As of Gen 9, has not yet caught certain pokemon of all regions of the world, although I dont think this really matters.

I assume the prerequisites of being a pokemon master, is ultimately getting acknowledgement from Ho-OH as being a trainer that has reached some type of enlightment by developing a strong connection with Pokemon species.

I have this strong belief that Mewtwo will be the end-game final challenge for Ash, or perhaps play a role in Ash's final challenge to be a pokemon master, which will get Ho-OH acknowledgement, espcially seeing how Mewtwo is consistently showcased as cynical towards human and pokemon connection, and still considers Ash inferior to him since Ash has not defeated him.

STICKTOPIA

Didn't one of the show's staff say it was someone who travels around and befriends Pokemon or something? There is no real definition and there never will be.
Either way my point was we gotta wait for more info before we assume ash will be in the next season or not

Red and Blue

Well, doesn't the academy in Paldea have dorms for the students?

If Ash enrolls again, it is possible they would treat the academy grounds as the home base, similarly to the lab in Kanto for Ash and Goh. That means we could see the school setting more often than we think.

Of course, it's not confirmed, but just a possibility I'm offering.
Yeah plus we have the option to return to school and take classes on different subjects. Since the flying taxi service is back it should be easy to fly back and forth from the Academy

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Honestly, if Ash does go back to school, I hope the story points out the sheer ridiculousness of a world champion choosing to enroll in school once again. Like, have characters questioning 'why this Alola Champion and PWC Champion attending classes with us regular students?'
Well clearly enrolling in school once worked out for him considering he became a champion and world champion right after, so why not try again :p

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Honestly, if Ash does go back to school, I hope the story points out the sheer ridiculousness of a world champion choosing to enroll in school once again. Like, have characters questioning 'why this Alola Champion and PWC Champion attending classes with us regular students?'

Well, in the games Nemona is a champion already by the time we meet her, yet we can see her in the classes.

So... He can be both Champion Ash and a student, if writting wants it

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
i'm against the school thing for 2 reasons, 1. Ash already did that in SM, yes it was lax compared to a "normal" school like Goh and Chloe's but that format wouldn't work well with how people want ash to travel again, and 2. it would be a third home base, which I know people don't want again either.

SatoSereFan224888

i'm against the school thing for 2 reasons, 1. Ash already did that in SM, yes it was lax compared to a "normal" school like Goh and Chloe's but that format wouldn't work well with how people want ash to travel again, and 2. it would be a third home base, which I know people don't want again either.
Yeah. I don’t even want Ash going to school again now that he’s world champ.

Master Pikachu 11

I get your point, but I feel the two are not that comparable.

Nemona is Champion by virtue of beating 8 gyms, that's it. Ash's achievements far surpass Nemona's, if we're being fair, so him being in classes would be even more outrageous. Like, you're telling me this dude who beat literal Champions and legendary Pokemon is attending a class about type effectiveness and stuff?

To put it simply, Nemona is still at a level where the idea that she still has much more to learn about stuff is easy to swallow.

Ash feels like someone at a much higher level who doesn't really *need* this kind of education at this stage of his 'career'.

This is why Ash becoming something like a mentor feels like a more natural next step for him than sending him right back into classroom as a student (if we had to choose between these two options).
Actually she did defeat Geeta and the Elite 4 as well

AllOfAshmon

Mezase Pokemon Master- Thank You Ash and Pikachu
Yeah. I don’t even want Ash going to school again now that he’s world champ.
Wow, a miracle did happen, SatoSere actually give in and admitted that if Ash stay, he/she would not want to see Ash in school rather that complaining about how a new MC should replace Ash since it a school setting again. I think I should get participate in a lucky draw or bet on the world cup.

Master Pikachu 11

Huh. Thanks for clarifying. That doesn't make sense either then, lmao.

But even so, you get my point. Ash cleared: many regional gyms, multiple legendary Pokemon, Battle Frontier, Alola League, the PWC. It just feels silly at this point to send him back into school unless the story provides a good reason for it.
You have to beat Geeta in order to earn champion rank, which is what Nemona did, but I get what your saying

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Even if this episode turns out to be alright, this is still already the most "shameless" episode of the whole anime for me. It's one thing to hype-bait with false titles like Kalos League Victory and the early JN titles, but they actually used a reference of the first ever episode for.....a damn camping episode for Ash, Goh and Koharu, pretending like they're super close. The stage was set to end Ash's journey, with him winning the biggest battle in his life. A final celebration felt like a given..and instead we get this.

This also means that JN has somehow successfully managed to make the conclusion of Ash vs Leon one of the most meaningless things ever.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.